Salem Records - Any Recommendations

Guest Andy Kempster

Guest Andy Kempster

i have picked up a couple of releases from this label recently which are really hitting the spot for me...big ella and bobby rush

has anyone got any recommendations from the same label?

Social source share

The Francis Burr has a couple bluesy cuts on her release. I assume that you know about The V Wagers (Five Wagers)-"Lucky I Found You". Bobby Rush had several 45s released on Salem.

Yeah! V Wagers.. another one!. also the flip of "Luck I Found You" the excellent "Until I Found You" :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Ray Pettis "Question and Answer also got released on Salem as well as Teako

Depending on what kinda sound you're after but there's some nice "deep" stuff on the label

Jimmy Ellis - Heaven has Blessed You

Benny Davis - Tell The Truth

Social source share

Anyone know anything about Charles & The Esquires on Salem?

whoa, total coincidence, but i saw this age title I'd never seen before and just bought it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/370629274320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I actually thought I probably had the whole label but never tried to write down the catalog to check. But I hadn't seen this one. Anyways, if you listen to the sound clips, it sounds like the voice on the Charles McNair records and the writer on this is McNair. Maybe I'm over-hearing a similarity because the topic is up now but it is a distinctive voice.

Social source share

Got a great mid-tempo track on Salem Nat Brown-If thats what you want go ahead, there was a thread on here a while ago, don't see it about much, perhaps Boba can spread some light on this one, well worth getting if you see it though

Kev

Kev, is that not Selma mate? as you say (and thanx to you for putting me onto it) a truely stunning track!

Hey! maybe you're playing anagrams! :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Got a great mid-tempo track on Salem Nat Brown-If thats what you want go ahead, there was a thread on here a while ago, don't see it about much, perhaps Boba can spread some light on this one, well worth getting if you see it though

Kev

are you sure it's the same salem? there was a nat brown that recorded in the new york area. do you have a scan?

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Interesting label :yes:

just be yourself is the bobby rush i just picked up, also big ella, too hot to hold

my kind of sound

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

if you got plenty of money and happen to find one,how about soul bros inc-teardrops-salem

yeah if only, out of my league i'm afraid

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Also on the sister label Nation Time the sublime Colour me foolish Leontine Dupree.Crossover perfection!

never heard this, although your post put me onto another track by her "I'm Guilty", very nice indeed

Social source share

are you sure it's the same salem? there was a nat brown that recorded in the new york area. do you have a scan?

Ooops !! just been to check, its Selma my apologies, and thanks to you and Steve for replying, yes Boba, its out of Jamaica, New York, fantastic record though all the same, any info much appreciated

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!