Over Rated Records

Daz

No, I just don't see the point of having a discussion about anything if nobody is allowed to say they don't like something. I don't like black pudding, I'm not going to say I like it just to make you happy am I...

Oh for FFS, get one of the kids to read this out to you,

(a) ITS NOT ABOUT SAYING THEY DON'T LIKE SOMETHING, ITS ABOUT A BUNCH OF PEOPLE, ALA THE EDDIE PARKER COMMENT, WHO DON'T HAVE THE INTELLIGENCE TO ARTICULATE WHY THEY DON'T LIKE SOMETHING, INSTEAD THEY THROW POINTLESS, AND VERY INACCURATE IN THIS CASE INSULTS. It is just boring, I am willing to spend all day explaning why George LemonVoice is crap, which obviously everyone would agree with, but equally why Johnny Rogers and Utopias are rubbish. Thats interesting, not pathetic peurile insults. Although I can do them as my ironic response to you showed, although I suspect as always my ironic comic genius was only evident to me, as always.

(b) It would be nice, just once in a while for people to talk about the music they love, and why, then people can disagree, but some positivity about music would be nice, Its supposed to be our major interest. And it is about soul, then even better, I won't hold my breath.

That is not asking for a prozac style world, just bemoaning at the moment its all negative.

Happy now Petra?

Anyway, shut it loser.

Social source share

(a) ITS NOT ABOUT SAYING THEY DON'T LIKE SOMETHING, ITS ABOUT A BUNCH OF PEOPLE, ALA THE EDDIE PARKER COMMENT, WHO DON'T HAVE THE INTELLIGENCE TO ARTICULATE WHY THEY DON'T LIKE SOMETHING, INSTEAD THEY THROW POINTLESS, AND VERY INACCURATE IN THIS CASE INSULTS. It is just boring, I am willing to spend all day explaning why George LemonVoice is crap, which obviously everyone would agree with, but equally why Johnny Rogers and Utopias are rubbish. Thats interesting, not pathetic peurile insults. Although I can do them as my ironic response to you showed, although I suspect as always my ironic comic genius was only evident to me, as always.

(b) It would be nice, just once in a while for people to talk about the music they love, and why, then people can disagree, but some positivity about music would be nice, Its supposed to be our major interest. And it is about soul, then even better, I won't hold my breath.

That is not asking for a prozac style world, just bemoaning at the moment its all negative.

Happy now Petra?

Anyway, shut it loser.

The topic is about OVER RATED RECORDS.

If you don't want to hear people's opinions about their personal OVER RATED RECORDS

then just don't read it.

Go to a POSITIVE thread instead.

They can both exist side by side.

Otherwise the forum would be a very boring place.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Jock,

You should have been in the last few Sweet & Deep CD Swaps some crackers included in there not normally mentioned in the usual dispatches.......

I cant get more than 3 CD's at a time off my machine, which is why I didn't enter. I couldn't complete this time and even with external CD it just won't work so I have given up. I have gone virtual now, just need to load them somewhere!

Social source share

Happy now Petra?

Anyway, shut it loser.

Is that a picture of Mick McCarthy on your display?

Now you really are trying to upset me.

Social source share

Are you going to use this in every conversation we have, it was funny the first 14 times, but now...

Its not about it being funny, its about it eventually being annoying......

The topic is about OVER RATED RECORDS.

If you don't want to hear people's opinions about their personal OVER RATED RECORDS

then just don't read it.

Go to a POSITIVE thread instead.

They can both exist side by side.

Otherwise the forum would be a very boring place.

You are not listening, I would love to hear peoples opinion about why they think certain things are overrated, it would make me listen again to some records and it is the sort of debate I like, I was about to ask Matt for example why he does not like the Mello Souls, however the EP posting threw the red rag over my eyes

Some knumbnut saying people only like Eddie Parker because its rare however brings debate to a level of stupidy that sadly prevails too often on these threads, hence my point. Its like the soul police one now, its normally used by people who don;t like peoples opinion and just throw that in with not thought. I repeat, pathetic and peurile.

And do you want to highlight the last positive thread??? Re the balance thing, negative is what gets people juices flowing in here for one reason or another.

And before Mike says anything, I know, I should start something positive rather than be a moaner myself. Off to think off one in the drive home....

PS Shut it......

Social source share

Its not about it being funny, its about it eventually being annoying......

You are not listening, I would love to hear peoples opinion about why they think certain things are overrated, it would make me listen again to some records and it is the sort of debate I like, I was about to ask Matt for example why he does not like the Mello Souls, however the EP posting threw the red rag over my eyes

Some knumbnut saying people only like Eddie Parker because its rare however brings debate to a level of stupidy that sadly prevails too often on these threads, hence my point. Its like the soul police one now, its normally used by people who don;t like peoples opinion and just throw that in with not thought. I repeat, pathetic and peurile.

And do you want to highlight the last positive thread??? Re the balance thing, negative is what gets people juices flowing in here for one reason or another.

And before Mike says anything, I know, I should start something positive rather than be a moaner myself. Off to think off one in the drive home....

PS Shut it......

OK. I also gasped in amazement that someone could think I'm Gone is overrated. I've not been on this thread slagging any records off, I'm interested to see what people think.

If you go home and post up a thread saying 'what are your top 5 of all time', you'll have people moaning that it's been done a thousand times before.

So nobody can win.

Social source share

?,did you ever play that Group/Sweet Soul Harmony Cd i gave you at Boomerang :wink:

Dave f.....

I would almost certainly have done so, but that was a while ago, so my mission over next few days will be to find that and come back on here with comments. I was being serious about a thread on sweet soul being interesting. To me anyway

The sun's shining guys.Be nice.

Now you really are taking the pi**, visibility is about 3 yards here and its chucking it down, hence my mood matching Pete's!

Social source share

OK. I also gasped in amazement that someone could think I'm Gone is overrated. I've not been on this thread slagging any records off, I'm interested to see what people think.

If you go home and post up a thread saying 'what are your top 5 of all time', you'll have people moaning that it's been done a thousand times before.

So nobody can win.

I am shocked at that, but I could have taken it if it wasn't followed by usual lazy assed insult with no thought after it. Thats what I mean,

Can we kiss and cuddle now?

Social source share

What a couple of miserable bastards. :lol:

Yes, agreed.

Now back to you, seriously would be interested in why you don't like Mello Souls, i,e have you never liked it, grown to dislike it etc. Its a strange record for me, listened to in its own right, its the sort of record I would normally question its soul content which pulls it down for me, but in all nighter there is not many that get me more erect, as in stand up rush to dance floor.

It has that Northern Soul X-Factor that Mr Vickers talks about, and its hard to imagine someone not liking it, but I don't like loads that I suspect people feel the same about, so its not questioning your taste, just genuinely interested in what kills it for you.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Who are you to call anyone miserable, you don't like the happiest Northern record ever, Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl. Happy, happy, uplifting, happy.

And the worst kind of vocals there is on the Northern Soul scene, Tommy Steel meets Will Hay. Thats why I don't like it and it makes me unhappy.....

Right fun over, I am out of here...

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

No, I just don't see the point of having a discussion about anything if nobody is allowed to say they don't like something. I don't like black pudding, I'm not going to say I like it just to make you happy am I...

obviously pete, you have never tried a real BURY black pudding? pity you not going to the stables sat night, would have brought you some matey
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

most things modern in my humble opinion= but not knocking anyone that likes modern, each to their own taste, thanks but no thanks

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

I cant get more than 3 CD's at a time off my machine, which is why I didn't enter. I couldn't complete this time and even with external CD it just won't work so I have given up. I have gone virtual now, just need to load them somewhere!

i can think of somewere were you could load them to......... :lol:
Social source share

Play nicely together boys and girls. I know it is an emotive subject but lets not ruin it foreveryone by having slanging matches.

I do have to agree with one or two or the comments that once again we have another negative topic about either the music or the scene. Is there nothing positire or good out there to discuss?

It would as well like Jock says be nice if you gave a reason for your replies and stimulate debate or discussion rather than say "this or that is sh*te".

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Who are you to call anyone miserable, you don't like the happiest Northern record ever, Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl. Happy, happy, uplifting, happy.

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Yes, agreed.

Now back to you, seriously would be interested in why you don't like Mello Souls, i,e have you never liked it, grown to dislike it etc. Its a strange record for me, listened to in its own right, its the sort of record I would normally question its soul content which pulls it down for me, but in all nighter there is not many that get me more erect, as in stand up rush to dance floor.

It has that Northern Soul X-Factor that Mr Vickers talks about, and its hard to imagine someone not liking it, but I don't like loads that I suspect people feel the same about, so its not questioning your taste, just genuinely interested in what kills it for you.

Good question Jock. I just find it too messy, always have, although that's not always a problem for me (One Gold Piece is one of my all time favourites) and the vocal is really weak and the harmony is dreadful. They are all singing over the top of each other (screeching in some cases) and it sounds garbled and all that 'yeah yeah, no no no no' wtf is he on about? The sax solo is very muffled too. It just turns me off i'm afraid. This is a thread about overrated records and not bad records necessarily and I wonder if the Mello Souls would have anywhere near the attention it has if it had been a fiver. In my opinion the attention it's received, in comparison with thousands of better records, is not deserved. That's probably yet another reason, I support the underdogs, the rarely played cheapies.

Another reason is it reminds of The Combinations - Watcha Gonna Do which for me is one of the greatest northern nighter dancers of all time. The Combinations is tight, a great builder, great harmony, everything the Mello Souls isn't. So unfavourable comparison with one of my favourite records doesn't help it either.

There you go. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Doni Burdick - Bari Track. Not really a fan of instrumentals at the best of times, but I can't see the attraction to this?

Find it quite monotonous. That's my reason.. smile.png

I have this at number 2 in the greatest Northern Soul records ever made :lol:

Funny, I never thought that much of it then one night I heard it at an all nighter, I think it was at Herne Bay, it nearly knocked me off my feet with it's power. Relentless, pounding, Detroit soul. I love this record. Sorry you don't like it Emily!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Doni Burdick - Bari Track. Not really a fan of instrumentals at the best of times, but I can't see the attraction to this?

Find it quite monotonous. That's my reason.. :)

Always have liked Bari Track, it's the horns always did send me up there.

As you say you're not a fan of instrumentals but just curious if you feel the same about Rose Battiste's vocal?

The flip to "Hit & Run" not the Lonely Feeling thing

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

it's a funny one this, cos there's 'overrated', which I presume, we mean, we just don't get it at all.

But equally, there's records you hear, that you used to like, or even love, you don't hear them for a while & they sound cr@p, or vice versa.

But anyways, heres a couple of mine for what its worth & my criteria is, I just don't get em (but know everyone else seems to love em), so I'm not saying they are cr@p, just don't see the fuss, just my opinion mind:

BOB & FRED I'll Be On My Way, I'm sorry, but I struggle to even see this as soul music.

ARIN DEMAIN Silent Treatment, now I used to like this years ago, but two minutes of it gives my a migraine now & I lose the will to live when I hear it.

I realise I could be committing sacrilege here, so I say again, its just IMO.

Aid.

Social source share

I have this at number 2 in the greatest Northern Soul records ever made :lol:

Funny, I never thought that much of it then one night I heard it at an all nighter, I think it was at Herne Bay, it nearly knocked me off my feet with it's power. Relentless, pounding, Detroit soul. I love this record. Sorry you don't like it Emily!

Still haven't convinced me or maybe I have no taste? :D

Social source share

Always have liked Bari Track, it's the horns always did send me up there.

As you say you're not a fan of instrumentals but just curious if you feel the same about Rose Battiste's vocal?

Hmm.. I miss my Baby. Still not feeling it mate even with vocals :g:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Hmm.. I miss my Baby. Still not feeling it mate even with vocals :g:

Yeah, fine. Just curious that's all as some folks go for a vocal and hate the instru, or vice versa of course.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I can see what your saying, however I do like Exus Trek and the vocal version!

Me too but definitely have always had a preference for the vocal. Getting back a long time now but used to love Sounds of Lane "Tracks to Your Mind" but hated Micky Lee Lane "Hey Sah Lo Ney" with a vengeance.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

ARIN DEMAIN Silent Treatment, now I used to like this years ago, but two minutes of it gives my a migraine now & I lose the will to live when I hear it.

Aid.

Aid I feel exactly the same about this record.....also Lester Tipton....years ago at a "nighter" brilliant...nowadays in the cold light of day a horrible noise IMO

Cheers Paul

Social source share

I realise I could be committing sacrilege here, so I say again, its just IMO.

Aid.

It's a bloody good job you put IMO Aid................................otherwise it would have had to have been :boxing:

I still like Arin Demain. :D

Anyone know anything about him - oops bit of thread.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

How very dare you! I think that is a very under rated under played (these days) tune.

Let's keep it like that ! :)

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Not wishing to piss on anyone's bonfire, but Tony Middleton - what was that all about?

Sounds like a 'turn' in an Ancoats nightclub that would be booed off after 30 secs max, if not assaulted.

Still, it's nice to be able to say it's even worserer than Tobi Legend.

Have I mentioned The Cherry P...........?

Social source share

Me too but definitely have always had a preference for the vocal. Getting back a long time now but used to love Sounds of Lane "Tracks to Your Mind" but hated Micky Lee Lane "Hey Sah Lo Ney" with a vengeance.

thumbsup.gif

Yeah and I love Exus Trek but can't stand the vocal!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Not sure if already mentioned, considering it's popularity probably not, but Holly St James, really never got it

Interesting view Pete - still does it for me. Not heard it played for years - but full blast out of a decent system, or at home - love it.

I'm not doing very well on this thread - I'm just disagreeing!

:(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

(a) ITS NOT ABOUT SAYING THEY DON'T LIKE SOMETHING, ITS ABOUT A BUNCH OF PEOPLE, ALA THE EDDIE PARKER COMMENT, WHO DON'T HAVE THE INTELLIGENCE TO ARTICULATE WHY THEY DON'T LIKE SOMETHING,

If you are referring to my comments about Eddie Parker I'm Gone,let me explain.

I think the record is average at best, FFS what has it got going for it other than its rarity ?.

Its just a big stomping record with little or no lyrical content, sweet FA in terms of melody or

production/arrangement.Billy Sha Rea's version is better.There are a 1000 and one records

that have been played on the scene that a miles better than it.

Kegsy (cant be arsed listing 1001 better records)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Interesting view Pete - still does it for me. Not heard it played for years - but full blast out of a decent system, or at home - love it.

I'm not doing very well on this thread - I'm just disagreeing!

:(

I know it's not all about 'soul' content with dance tunes but it just doesn't register with me at all, Dee Clark - that's my girl is my other main baffler

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Not wishing to piss on anyone's bonfire, but Tony Middleton - what was that all about?

Sounds like a 'turn' in an Ancoats nightclub that would be booed off after 30 secs max, if not assaulted.

Still, it's nice to be able to say it's even worserer than Tobi Legend.

Have I mentioned The Cherry P...........?

Do you mean 'to the ends of earth' ? Never rated it personally and always skipped it on the otherwise faultless This is northern soul grapevine LP !!! :D

In defence of I'm gone, it is rather good to dance to !

Social source share

Do you mean 'to the ends of earth' ? Never rated it personally and always skipped it on the otherwise faultless This is northern soul grapevine LP !!! biggrin.png

In defence of I'm gone, it is rather good to dance to !

Ah come on, Ends Of The Earth is utter brilliance, dramatic production, fantastic record...Paris Blues is good...the one by him that sounds like the Pub Singer is "My Home Town"

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Ah come on, Ends Of The Earth is utter brilliance, dramatic production, fantastic record...Paris Blues is good...the one by him that sounds like the Pub Singer is "My Home Town"

Hmm, just listened to it on you tube, perhaps 'to the ends of...' isn't that bad after all ! Think vic reeves could do a good version of it tho !!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!