Over Rated Records

Daz

Guest Droylsdonian

Well, it's the diversity of opinion here that makes it the place that it is.

I actually think it is not too bad a song, but it would be more realistically classified as something Englebert should have sung! :yes:

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

agree about the george lemons track!......how on earth was that expected to sell?....a few others...barbara dane....ben zine...and cobblestone trick me treat me.

Social source share

Ah come on, Ends Of The Earth is utter brilliance, dramatic production, fantastic record...Paris Blues is good...the one by him that sounds like the Pub Singer is "My Home Town"

Ha ha, yeah bit of a pub singer song that Paris Blues (I do like it though)

This has go straight in at number one for best Nothern pub singer song awards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1fpHwWpqG60

Aid

Social source share

Well, it's the diversity of opinion here that makes it the place that it is.

I actually think it is not too bad a song, but it would be more realistically classified as something Englebert should have sung! yes.gif

It may not surprise you to learn then that the original To The Ends Of The Earth was done by Nat King Cole...

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

SOUL BROS INC - TEARDROPS :glare:

hi grant, are you still feeling champion?.....i uncovered that tune and upset chris churm, lol...it was his top tune.

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

It may not surprise you to learn then that the original To The Ends Of The Earth was done by Nat King Cole...

No more than it surprised me to 'learn' ( as you put it) who did 'What a difference a a day makes' originally.

We all start somewhere, fella.

Social source share

Eddie Parker I'm Gone Well and truly overrated, probably due to rarity.

Kegsy

The thing is, the first time I ever heard this tune was on a cd at home, and I thought, what's the fuss all about?

Then you hear it at an allnighter and bang! it's magical. Had the same experience with Damon Fox. It's dance music, not listening music.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Awful to my ears, but some people think it's the epitome of northern soul.

One from me "Put me in your pocket" - never understood it, just a clink clink beat and a poor vocalist to me.

Agree whole heartedly, the epitome of dreadful, however irrespective of where we all go I can't remember hearing 'pocket' out for erm decades, but Ms St James, any oldies night and it's a 'winner'

Social source share

Yep let's just say nice things about everyone and everything, no criticism of anything at all, flowers and chocolates and jelly and balloons all round. Every soul record ever made is absolutely brilliant, there are no bad ones in Bob and Jocks magical happy place.

What a fab forum it would be if we all followed those rules and didn't dislike anything at all.

Or you could just leave...

yes, that's exactly what I said. only say positive things ever. thanks for fully understanding my post where again i was saying that people can only say positive things. also thank you for the suggestion that I leave, that was very helpful. thank you.

Social source share

yes, that's exactly what I said. only say positive things ever. thanks for fully understanding my post where again i was saying that people can only say positive things. also thank you for the suggestion that I leave, that was very helpful. thank you.

also, in no way are you whinier than the old people in my grandparents' retirement home

• Helpful 1
Social source share

LOL! WAFC.

Respect a problem for you?

lol indeed D!

Talking of respect, look at your post count/contribution to the site and look at that of him that you quote.

Some of the records listed on this thread are howlers. Some I can't believe they would diss. Joe Jama? Anyway each to their own and in essence that's it isn't it? All about the soul, less about the bickering... :)

Social source share

As this is a a thread about overrated records, I'll add 2 of my own. A lot of people on here seen to rave about them, but I can't listen to them:- Rufus Lumley "Stronger Than Me", and Cajun Hart " Got To Find A way". I absolutely don't get them at all.

Paul

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Not sure if already mentioned, considering it's popularity probably not, but Holly St James, really never got it

Hi Pete,

Have a listen to Wombat - I'm getting on Life, then Holly St James dont sound quite so bad.

Cheers Phil

Social source share

Hi Pete,

Have a listen to Wombat - I'm getting on Life, then Holly St James dont sound quite so bad.

Cheers Phil

I think I really like Wombat, not because it's a great record, just because it's a memory jerker. People not around at the time must be mystified about that record but it was as big a record in it's day as anything ever - undeniably a great record to dance to. I don't like or have never liked Holly St James though.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

As this is a a thread about overrated records, I'll add 2 of my own. A lot of people on here seen to rave about them, but I can't listen to them:- Rufus Lumley "Stronger Than Me", and Cajun Hart " Got To Find A way". I absolutely don't get them at all.

Paul

Another two in my all time top 100, I think at one point I would have walked the length of the country to get a copy of Cajun hart.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The thing is, the first time I ever heard this tune was on a cd at home, and I thought, what's the fuss all about?

Then you hear it at an allnighter and bang! it's magical. Had the same experience with Damon Fox. It's dance music, not listening music.

Phil, I am shocked that you didn't know "I'm Gone" back in the 70s.

Both me and Tony Walker had this at Accy Legion.

Dave.

Social source share

Guest colin brown

The old saying goes"Whats One Mans`Meat Is Another Mans`Poison".I think that is very apt for Soul Music-whatever your preference is.

Social source share

Phil, I am shocked that you didn't know "I'm Gone" back in the 70s.

Both me and Tony Walker had this at Accy Legion.

Dave.

Someone I used to swap tapes with in the 90's, can't remember who, told me he bought the Eddie Parker on Awake at the Torch for a quid, they tried it and it never caught on for some reason...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Paul

My fave record of all time. Great Intro's? how about an opening gambit - You destroy me!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

300146505365.jpg

It really does get on my t++s ! :ohmy: and has done for over 25 yrs , over rated is an understatement !!!!! :(

Jock was asking Matt earlier why he disliked mello Souls, and offered a few possibilities.

this record i used to love. I never owned one but loved hearing it, dancing to it, and everything about it.

25 years later i wonder what on earth possesed me? Maybe I heard it too much? I loved Epitome of Sound, until I heard it at about every do for 5 years straight. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a night.

or maybe it was rubbish all along, and my youthful exuberance was less critical, as long as I could cut a rug to the record.

Social source share

Big Joe Turner - Two loves have I. Just perfect for a bit of Vic Reeves 'club style' frivolity :) .

Larry Clinton - She's wanted.... state 1 being monotonous, state 2 being repetetive, state 3 being :sleep3:

Edited by Stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Bill Bush - "I'm Waiting" - yes Bill I am waiting for the day that record sounds good. Probably the day after hell freezes over !!!

However it is measurably better than the turd which is Julian Covey - "A Little Bit Hurt" - The sound of a vasectomy without an anesthetic would be more pleasing to my ears !!!

Social source share

I would almost certainly have done so, but that was a while ago, so my mission over next few days will be to find that and come back on here with comments. I was being serious about a thread on sweet soul being interesting. To me anyway

Now you really are taking the pi**, visibility is about 3 yards here and its chucking it down, hence my mood matching Pete's!

That'll be the gin Jocko.

Social source share

Someone I used to swap tapes with in the 90's, can't remember who, told me he bought the Eddie Parker on Awake at the Torch for a quid, they tried it and it never caught on for some reason...

Wow.Shocked if its true.!! :ohmy: Anyway,what's with the Johnny Caswell knockers?..... :boxing:

Social source share

This is all very vague now because it was 20 years ago but it might have been Graham Williamson. Is he still around?

if you mean graham williamson from rotherham..sadly he died in 95 i think.... unless theres another one..our graham liked his uk stuff but i got some great usa stuff from him also

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

People like what they like and dislike what they don,t,thats fair enough what l can,t get my head round is back in the day when we were fed the most amount of pop sh*t and we loved it because we were out of our nuts and it wer,nt played anywhere else which kinda made it cool. Why oh why can some folk (quite a lot really) in the fullness of time not sort the wheat from the chaff.They seem to have this blind spot that says...".it was played at wigan so it,s good end of"....and subsequent quality soul that has been found is in a lot of cases dismissed as rubbish.......just don,t get it.......maybe thats why joey delorenzo and joe jamma were such big hits because they are poop records

p.s heres a perfect example FRANKY & JOHNNY.....if they ever moulded sh*t into record form this is it.....the bad sound of the sixties

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

People like what they like and dislike what they don,t,thats fair enough what l can,t get my head round is back in the day when we were fed the most amount of pop sh*t and we loved it because we were out of our nuts and it wer,nt played anywhere else which kinda made it cool. Why oh why can some folk (quite a lot really) in the fullness of time not sort the wheat from the chaff.They seem to have this blind spot that says...".it was played at wigan so it,s good end of"....and subsequent quality soul that has been found is in a lot of cases dismissed as rubbish.......just don,t get it.......maybe thats why joey delorenzo and joe jamma were such big hits because they are poop records

p.s heres a perfect example FRANKY & JOHNNY.....if they ever moulded sh*t into record form this is it.....the bad sound of the sixties

I think Frankie & Johnny is one of the best UK produced records of the entire 60's, not necessarily as a Soul or Northern Soul record, just as a record, it's stupendous. Why they put it on a B side I'll never know.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I think Frankie & Johnny is one of the best UK produced records of the entire 60's, not necessarily as a Soul or Northern Soul record, just as a record, it's stupendous. Why they put it on a B side I'll never know.

probably best you stay in then pete lol :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!