Isley Bros - Tell Me It's Just - Fact Or Myth ?

Chris L

A long, long time ago in field far away (Blackpool ;-) I got told that "Tell me it is just a rumour" was released as a single - can't remember if it was Israel or India. Yes I know it got released in the 70s by TMG but this release was mid-sixties.

Fact or legend ? When you check out Israeli and/or Indian TM releases there are a few off the wall singles, so why not this 100 mph scorcher ?

:g:

Social source share

Usually in ex Commonweath countries (India, Barbados, South Africa, NZ, Australia), the local branch of EMI would follow UK 45 releases rather than US releases ......

... thus a mid-60's Motown track that had been re-issued in the UK would also be released in some / all of these additional territories.

I don't think the local reps had much leeway in what tracks were usually picked to go onto new 45's, it was common practise to just replicate the UK 45 tracks.

HOWEVER, I'm sure in some (rare) instances a different cut could escape as a 45 B side, though I don't actually know of any for definite.

My guess would be that any (say) Indian Motown 45's would have escaped a few weeks / months after the UK version and not before .... but I await someone proving this guess to be incorrect.

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

A long, long time ago in field far away (Blackpool ;-) I got told that "Tell me it is just a rumour" was released as a single - can't remember if it was Israel or India. Yes I know it got released in the 70s by TMG but this release was mid-sixties.

Fact or legend ? When you check out Israeli and/or Indian TM releases there are a few off the wall singles, so why not this 100 mph scorcher ?

:g:

Chris,

Wasn't the 45 on Dutch Tamla Motown ?

Never seen one myself but that's what I recall.

Best

John

Social source share

...and let us not forget that the version on one of their UK LP's (the one with the brown sleeve looking like a 45) is a lot longer than the 45.

One of my fave Motown tracks ever...quality!

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Chris,

Wasn't the 45 on Dutch Tamla Motown ?

Never seen one myself but that's what I recall.

Best

John

When Tony Jebb played this at the Mecca, I'm pretty sure he told me that it was on German motown.

Also, and this deffinitley isn't myth....... when he had finished playing it for the very first time, he (T J) said "thats so good it needs playing again " picked up the arm and dropped it back into the run in groove for a second spin.

I can honestly say that I never saw this done by any Dj with any other record before or since that night.

I am told (i wasn't there) that Keb once played Darrell Banks ? about four or five times on the bounce at stafford, but that this was done to p*** off the oldies only brigade that were giving him a hard time.

Maybe this deserves a thread of its own if it aint already been done?

Edited by local
Social source share

WOW !! So it's not just a rumour then ? :D The UK TMG 877 got released in the UK in October 1973 so the Dutch version pre-dates that.

Well done and thanks everybody.................. :thumbsup:

yes by 4 years..heres the flip of the dutch.45 .well its actually the A side

Edited by dave pinch
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

That's brilliant on the Dutch release AND the TJ story :thumbsup:

While we're on urban myths about TMIJAR TMG 877 - I read somewhere that when it was first released the early demos had 'Whispers (Getting Louder)' on the B side, only to be replaced with 'Save me from this misery'

Can any kind souls out there confirm that and also send up a scan as I've yet to come across one?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Not sure if this is an urban myth or true.

I seem to remember that Jed Rudd RIP (Preston) had a dutch copy and rather than sell it at the Torch, he raffled it one night there, making a lot more than if he had sold it.

Jed had a certain reputation and I think most people would have just handed over their money, anyhow :yes:

Louis

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Re Keb, it was tony Galla "in love" and the reason he done it was because nobody was dancing to it when he first played it so he took it upon himself to keep playing it until "you fucks will dance to this" a sort of quick education on what's good!!

keb seems to pull this move reasonably often, i've definitely seen him do it on two different occasions.

Social source share

While we're on urban myths about TMIJAR TMG 877 - I read somewhere that when it was first released the early demos had 'Whispers (Getting Louder)' on the B side, only to be replaced with 'Save me from this misery'

Can any kind souls out there confirm that and also send up a scan as I've yet to come across one?

Cheers

Steve

Anyone?

Social source share

...and let us not forget that the version on one of their UK LP's (the one with the brown sleeve looking like a 45) is a lot longer than the 45.

One of my fave Motown tracks ever...quality!

:hatsoff2:

the longer version is also on the dutch 45 dave.........ignore the silly video. longer initro....extra verse about 45 seconds longer

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

the longer version is also on the dutch 45 dave.........ignore the silly video. longer initro....extra verse about 45 seconds longer

Didn't know that Dave...thanks for the heads-up :hatsoff2:

A magical slab of Motown from a group that had peaked so many times...for RCA, UA, Wand, Motown, T.Neck and beyond! :yes:

Social source share

I can say this is fact. When everyone was playing the LP track I had a foreign issue Tamla Motown single with solid centre.Never did know which country it was issued in. As a young lad I had this record stolen from me outside a record shop in Wolverhampton and never saw it again, or ever heard of anyone else having one. What I do remember is it was the B side, the A side was a track called " Good Things"

Regards

Steve.

Social source share

the dutch copy has a push out centre steve, so maybe not the only country of origin, b side is also good things :thumbsup:

bri i think it only came out in the netherlands...maybe what steve is saying is that his had the four prong center like the one shown on 45cat....where as our copy would have had it but its been dinked

Social source share

bri i think it only came out in the netherlands...maybe what steve is saying is that his had the four prong center like the one shown on 45cat....where as our copy would have had it but its been dinked

come to think of it most dutch motown 45's i,ve come across have had the centres dinked, must have been common practice.

Social source share

I can say this is fact. When everyone was playing the LP track I had a foreign issue Tamla Motown single with solid centre.Never did know which country it was issued in. As a young lad I had this record stolen from me outside a record shop in Wolverhampton and never saw it again, or ever heard of anyone else having one. What I do remember is it was the B side, the A side was a track called " Good Things"

Regards

Steve.

Wouldn't have been German, Dutch or Belgian they're always with big hole centres :D

Social source share

come to think of it most dutch motown 45's i,ve come across have had the centres dinked, must have been common practice.

My copy was the black label with the boxed logo as in UK issues and it definitely wasn't dinked. Strange though as a friend of mine got it from Holland while on a school trip.

Steve.

Social source share

defo dutch.....when tamla motown holland changed their label design from orange to black in 1969 their releases came with four pronged push out centers like uk releases....i have a few, some with centers but some have the middles pushed out... my tell me its just a rumur is missing the middle.......nice pic cover tho

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!