Manship's Price Guide - 6Th Edition

JimK

I will not be buying this one. I bought all the others. The last one was usefull for the bootleg info so I will keep that edition. Problem is that for the most part the majority of his prices are totally unrealistic. It's Fantasyland or Manshipland if you prefer. I'd love to get the prices he shows in his book for the records I sell. Waste of money at this point in my opinion especially when you can easily go to Popsike or Collectors Frenzy and get a more realistic view of a records value along with it's price trends (up or down). I can put my hard earned dollars to better use and go out and have a nice dinner or better yet buy a nice record.

very well said sir i totally agree .

Social source share

Had this problem with my 5th edition. Cover been sellotaped back on so many times that it's more tape than cover.

i have had same problem 5th edition cover came apart had to sellotaped back on.

Social source share

I think an electronic version would be very innovative, but could you get a way with charging people £30 for access to a web based database?

There are apps designed for people with communication difficulties so that they can work through symbols or text and multiple levels and have speech output that sell for £50 and even £100. It just depends on the needs of the market and the likely number of users I guess.

Social source share

Tim mentions RKR above.

RKR is Roots Knotty Roots, a gigantic database of Jamaican, British, USA and Candian reggae releases dating back to the late 50's.

You can search by artist, label, producer, matrix number (vitally important on Jamaican records to identify blanks), even by rhythm (I refuse to say 'riddim'), you get info on both A & B side of the record.

This was originally available on a disc, for windows only, I've been using it for nearly 10 years and it's indispendable.

Last month, they put the entire database online, I have just paid $25 for a years subscription.

There are something like 70,000 releases dealt with.

So basically it certainly is possible to get something like this on line, RKR does not have prices, but there is of course the option to put prices on.

Social source share

Yes I accept your collaboration/multi user access issues, locking etc.

Maybe Access wasnt a good example, but there must be

some simple to use database software with internet access protocols, without having

to go the full blown Oracle route. I've been out of the game for seven

years so i'm not that up to speed anymore I'm afraid.

Dont ISP's have standard client/server database interfaces ?

kegsy

Wouldn't Filemaker Pro deal with this? Cross platform, web enabled, and it has a free app (FilemakerGo) to use on an iPad so that you can access the contents of the database if that's hosted somewhere.

Only thing is I don't know how to create it or where you'd host it so that anyone with the password (so it could be a paid for service, or free if the creator of the main database was feeling generous!) could then get into it.

Social source share

Long before the 'price guides', a DJ/Record dealer friend would put a huge priced 'wants' list out all over the US, I mean this was a book !!!. The UK 'big' record dealers of the time really f^ckin did one, I mean really did one - what had happened was, said person had pretty much blown open the NS pricing mystery of which discs were collectable, not just the obvious, many of the old guard of dealers went ape sh*t, as they had been 'stealing' these records for years, it had now been spoiled for them, however my friend got some absolutely amazing records over a period of years......the price guides are the revenge, turning it all on its head again....

Russ

That was a bit shifty wasn't it??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That was a bit shifty wasn't it??

are you making a reference to shifty's binder of wanted records with prices? people did earlier things. i found a letter in someone's basement dated some time in the mid-80s from rod shard with a priced list of rare chicago records he wanted to buy.

Social source share

are you making a reference to shifty's binder of wanted records with prices? people did earlier things. i found a letter in someone's basement dated some time in the mid-80s from rod shard with a priced list of rare chicago records he wanted to buy.

Simon Soussan actually produced a price guide book based around Martin Koppell's wants list.

The book itself is now very collectable.

Social source share

Simon Soussan actually produced a price guide book based around Martin Koppell's wants list.

I know I've seen some US dealers with tattered or even photocopied copies of it. Lots of motown records are expensive in the book, that's one thing that's changed a lot in the last decade or two.

Social source share

Yeah,just a tongue in cheek joke. Didn't mean anything by it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Long before the 'price guides', a DJ/Record dealer friend would put a huge priced 'wants' list out all over the US, I mean this was a book !!!. The UK 'big' record dealers of the time really f^ckin did one, I mean really did one - what had happened was, said person had pretty much blown open the NS pricing mystery of which discs were collectable, not just the obvious, many of the old guard of dealers went ape sh*t, as they had been 'stealing' these records for years, it had now been spoiled for them, however my friend got some absolutely amazing records over a period of years......the price guides are the revenge, turning it all on its head again....

Russ

I remember Soussan complaining to me about UK collectors sending wants-lists to U.S. dealers because it was "spoiling it for everyone" LOL. Then, I heard in the late 70's/early 80's that he'd produced a wants-book which he then circulated in the U.S. I remember a lot of agro about that from people travelling to the U.S. and being confronted with Soussan's book when they got to certain dealers or shops. I guess the circle simply keeps turning doesn't it?

Exactly the same thing's happening happening in Africa for collectors of Afro Funk. Voodoo Frank's lists are circulated throughout Africa routinely.....

https://www.icrates.org/digging-africa-voodoofunk-djfrank/

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

but then what would we talk about, life would be so so boring. this is quite interesting stuff...........probably the most talked about soul book release this week!!!!!! perfick.

Social source share

Russ

In the very early days of the internet long before many households had it over here

I worked in I.T. and would send large wants lists via e-mail to U.S. dealers.

I priced every thing between $5-$20 dollars. £50 record=$5 £100=$10 etc

Boy did I get some bargains.

The price guides then killed it for me.

I would also get lists e-mailed to me and would buy loads of stuff blind for $2-5 and

got some excellent stuff, price guides stopped this too as all U.S. dealers upped prices automatically

if your were buying from the U.K.

Kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

you should bring out your own price guide Pete, would make much better reading :thumbsup:

I did a British one once, back in 1993 I think it was.

Couldn't do a US one, I don't know half the records nowadays.

I still think there's an opportunity to do an internet based one with input from everyone though, like that RKR database I've mentioned before.

Didn't the Jeffries's get a price guide thing going a couple of years back? Was looking good from what I remember.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In the very early days of the internet long before many households had it over here

I worked in I.T. and would send large wants lists via e-mail to U.S. dealers.

I priced every thing between $5-$20 dollars. £50 record=$5 £100=$10 etc

Boy did I get some bargains.

The price guides then killed it for me.

I would also get lists e-mailed to me and would buy loads of stuff blind for $2-5 and

got some excellent stuff, price guides stopped this too as all U.S. dealers upped prices automatically

if your were buying from the U.K.

Kegsy

This post makes me laugh, just because I'm not seeing US record dealers getting email in the early days of the internet (not saying you're lying, just saying it's funny). By the last issue of discoveries, people still had typewritten and hand written auction lists. Record dude Bob Miner in chicago still doesn't have a telephone.

Social source share

Russ

There was a handwritten list of records with prices that was being circulated in the mid 1980s here. There were three sections to it, I think, probably new additions. Based on the presentation it was probably started in the late 1970s and added on. Also, someone was publishing a want list in Goldmine, a full page, circa 1981. I don't remember if that was priced. I have two original Shifty binders, I think they included edition letter/numbers. One had a rather strange introduction page to NS that he wisely deleted from the later edition, assuming correctly that it would put people in the US off.....

Social source share

This post makes me laugh, just because I'm not seeing US record dealers getting email in the early days of the internet (not saying you're lying, just saying it's funny). By the last issue of discoveries, people still had typewritten and hand written auction lists. Record dude Bob Miner in chicago still doesn't have a telephone.

Most of early places I contacted were oldies type stores, in smaller towns/cities, that

had not been visited by UK collectors.A few even had very basic websites with lists up on the net.

As you say though many would also just post paper lists or I would send a paper wants list.

What the internet allowed me to do was find these places.

I actually used John Manships/Tim Browns weekly lists to compose,

the wants lists which is ironic.

This was in the days before Paypal so paying for them was always a bit tricky unless they

took credit cards, but many would not take UK cards.

I remember one time when Greg Tormo walked into a place and asked to look at

a pile of records behind the counter, only to be told they were reserved for me.

His next e-mail to me was a bit prickly !.

In particular I was getting lots of newly discovered stuff, especially 70's stuff that

was starting to be played out more.

Some of the stores/dealers were;

Ace Music & Video

Village Music (California)

Thursdays

Dennis Brennan

Bob Lord

Wegotrecords

Plus loads of others.

Kegsy

Social source share

A good way to get an idea of current+recent historical prices of a 45 is to type the artist,title,label and 'northern soul sale' into Google search. You generally get discs that are selling/were sold+prices on sites like Soulsource, Ebay,Northernsoulpriceguide,e.t.c. I've found this,on the whole, a helpful way to get an idea of price and condition of what my wants are fetching. Cheers, Carl.

Social source share

A good way to get an idea of current+recent historical prices of a 45 is to type the artist,title,label and 'northern soul sale' into Google search. You generally get discs that are selling/were sold+prices on sites like Soulsource, Ebay,Northernsoulpriceguide,e.t.c. I've found this,on the whole, a helpful way to get an idea of price and condition of what my wants are fetching. Cheers, Carl.

so you're putting "northern soul sale" in quotes in your search?

Social source share

Example of entry in Google search:- fiestas think smart oldtown northern soul sale

so you're putting "northern soul sale" in quotes in your search?

Social source share

I would have thought a very basic guide could be done using Excel.

Data could be sorted by artist,label,price.

The find function could be used instead of scrolling thru.

kegsy

Or do the excel thing import to access and make a data base so you can use the search option on the data base

Just a thought

Social source share

as some mentioned they would like to see a price guide online: tim`s guide has been online for quite some time now and its easy to access via https://www.raresoulvinyl.co.uk I also understand that his intention was to update here and there with new prices

Re JM latest edition: I bought it as I bought all the previous editions too. so far I must admit I havent found any benefit the latest edition has to offer in comparison to its forerunner. havent had time yet o compare prices in # 4 and # 5 so I cant comment on the aspect of price updates.

Wow, that's well cool, didn't know about this, quick & easy search, bookmarked.

Cheers ears.

Aid.

Social source share

Got one of these a few years ago. The underbidder emailed me to ask if I would photocopy it for him!

I replied he should have bid a bit more :yes:

Julian

Social source share

Got one of these a few years ago. The underbidder emailed me to ask if I would photocopy it for him!

I replied he should have bid a bit more :yes:

Julian

I had 2, sold one for about £40 must be 10 years back, and there's still one in my garage going mouldy...great book for the fantastic information on Motown related labels and acetates

nb I would be happy to copy my book for £20 :lol:

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I had 2, sold one for about £40 must be 10 years back, and there's still one in my garage going mouldy...great book for the fantastic information on Motown related labels and acetates

nb I would be happy to copy my book for £20 :lol:

When you work out the cost of paper, ink, electricity, your time etc, I think £20 is a bargain :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!