Local P*** Heads At All Nighters

Due to work and family pressure I have not been to an all nighter since November. :ohmy:

It was commented on here that a couple of the nighters held over xmas and the new year had been crashed by local pissheads looking for all night drinking.

Now we are well into this years events I was wondering if this problem will continue or was it just a xmas thing.

Luckily our scene is not that well known to the general poulation because now we have all night bars it could become a problem if the word got out.

The last thing we need is pissed up divs hassling the ladies and causing trouble.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• Replies 74
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Due to work and family pressure I have not been to an all nighter since November. :ohmy:

It was commented on here that a couple of the nighters held over xmas and the new year had been crashed by local pissheads looking for all night drinking.

Now we are well into this years events I was wondering if this problem will continue or was it just a xmas thing.

Luckily our scene is not that well known to the general poulation because now we have all night bars it could become a problem if the word got out.

The last thing we need is pissed up divs hassling the ladies and causing trouble.

=============

IMO the problem probably lies more with venue owners than promoters. Most (if not all promoters) would prefer not to have these, sorry if the word appears antequated to those wanting new blood on the scene, "Outsiders" kept out, but alcohol consumption equals profit, so not much promoters can do really. Could go on and on, but don't want to appear all Billy Graham, cos I'm not, but the locals can be a pain in the backside if left unchecked.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

thing is, there are all night bars everywhere now (potentially) aren't there fenners?

ought to be able to spot them and keep them out i'd have thought??

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

=============

IMO the problem probably lies more with venue owners than promoters.

Surely this is in the hands of the promoters? Policy should be to have someone who knows the score on the door throughout the period when people are let in and to confirm with management that you have control over people coming in.

That way we can make it a northern soul do for northern soul people and we'll have no outsiders getting to hear the precious things.

:ohmy:

Social source share

Surely this is in the hands of the promoters? Policy should be to have someone who knows the score on the door throughout the period when people are let in and to confirm with management that you have control over people coming in.

That way we can make it a northern soul do for northern soul people and we'll have no outsiders getting to hear the precious things.

:ohmy:

============

You'd have thought so Stu, but I remember going to a venue up north reasonably regularly a few years ago, and the bouncers used to let their mates in for nothing. Stood there waiting to pay, whilst 8/9 of these drunken types just walked in. I was told later that it was happening a lot over the night, but as I never saw it after that, can't comment. It's NOT Stoke by the way, just thought I'd mention that, before anybody starts jumping to conclusions.

Social source share

Maybe make clubs members only...but clubs excepting other club membership cards.. if someone was going to a new type of club they would probably be going with someone in the know anyway... so they could get in on there membeship card... ok woldn't have to stick to the rules 100% but if you had a group or 20 year olds at 11.30 who had already had a drink.. problem solved

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Maybe make clubs members only...but clubs excepting other club membership cards.. if someone was going to a new type of club they would probably be going with someone in the know anyway... so they could get in on there membeship card... ok woldn't have to stick to the rules 100% but if you had a group or 20 year olds at 11.30 who had already had a drink.. problem solved

Membership cards are ideal but hard to manage. Best thing to do is to put up a private party sign. Its useful if people have a club membership card though. maybe there could be some universal membership card for all clubs? I always used to use my 100 Club membership for other clubs but they get robbed with my wallet or dissolve in beer pretty quickly.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
Membership cards are ideal but hard to manage. Best thing to do is to put up a private party sign. Its useful if people have a club membership card though. maybe there could be some universal membership card for all clubs? I always used to use my 100 Club membership for other clubs but they get robbed with my wallet or dissolve in beer pretty quickly.
Can't think why the local piss heads would want to come to a all nighter when they can now get a drink in a pub more to their liking. Soul nights are more of a problem, as the venue maybe part of their saturday night trawl. :yes:
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Good Idea :yes:

A universal membership card for everywhere soul related. Maybe we could have a download & print version on here......

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

A universal membership card for everywhere soul related. Maybe we could have a download & print version on here......

Could this site host it? Would need people to assist their non internet linked friends. Anyone got a laminating machine (apart from Kenny Burrell)?

Social source share

Maybe the doormen could be given a photofit to compare against anyone attempting to gain entry.

This would weed out the non soulies as they would not be wearing spencers, beer towel, vest with mutiple Wigan badges, Adidas bag, keep the faith t-shirt, dodgy tache, mullet hair cut and a severe case of Brut overload.

Of course I would get in as I`ve never looked like that. :yes:

Social source share

:yes:

I suppose it is really. I know that Stu, the promoter at Leicester has a no "hand-baggers" policy that the doormen keep a keen eye on. Good door staff that you can trust goes a long way.

Social source share

please tell me this is a wind-up? :yes:

this is another way of stopping young people joining us in my opinion.

my new girlfriend loves the music but finds this scene very intimidating. she is getting more into it as people are becoming friendlier thru knowing myself etc. this membership thing would not help at all with people like her.

we could re-name the scene 'northern freemasons soul society' :D:yes:

Shane

Social source share

my new girlfriend loves the music but finds this scene very intimidating. she is getting more into it as people are becoming friendlier thru knowing myself etc. this membership thing would not help at all with people like her.

Shane

:D You're right about that Shane...I still feel intimidated at some venues even now. When I was expecting Joe it was worse as I couldn't even have a drink to loosen up as it were. As long as the non soulie "pissheads" behave themselves who gives a rat's ass if they don't understand the so called etiquette. We had a group of young lads in Soul or Nothing on Saturday who found it all quite amusing but after a while they got into it a bit and looked like they were enjoying themselves. And one of them may come back next time cos we didn't get all aloof with them :yes:

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Piss heads being allowed into venues is all down to the promoters trying to cut costs,if you can,t control the door you should,nt be in the promotion game.Promoters priority should be to provide a quality nite that can be enjoyed without intimidation or disturbance from drunks,after all we have enough loonies on the scene as it is .

Social source share

we could re-name the scene 'northern freemasons soul society' :yes::D

Shane

I said hello to her Saturday Shane, did she tell you ? I always thought the scene was very friendly BTW

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I'm not so sure. It used to be the case that for most events you were required to have membership in advance. I sthis such a bad idea to have an easily available membership accepted by all clubs? I know what you mean about the scene being a bit intimidating, but just having to get a membership isn't that onerous is it? Personally not fussed either way as we tend to keep a hawkish eye on the door.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Not noticed a problem with pissed up idiots....

But have noticed a slight drop in attendances to nighters since theres been a higher number of Soul nights utilising 'Niter' DJs.

whats the difference joe between a soul night dj and a nighter dj ?

Davie

Social source share

we could re-name the scene 'northern freemasons soul society' :yes::D

Shane

Well I think membership cards is a brilliant idea for all club's esp if they accept any membership club from another soul club. BTW Shane, your girlfriend went to the 100 club on Saturday so surely she has a membership card or at least applied for one?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

soul night djs tend to be local - niter djs tend to go further afield... i.m.o.

fair enough :yes: ... i do see what you are saying though

Social source share

Theres Soul nights that book all of the current Niter DJs...

Events like Soul or Nothing, Groovey Grooves and Piercebridge have utilised DJs who I would consider to be established 'Niter' DJs

Soul Sam, Mick H, Andy Dyson, Mark Bicknell, Dean Anderson all spring to mind as being more commonly known as 'Niter DJs' but have had a fair few 'Soul Night' bookings recently.

Years ago you would have HAD to attend a niter to listen to the sounds that were getting played by these DJs

Social source share

Guest Trevski

dont Freemasons have strange handshakes.?...i used to see them at niters........it was almost as if they were handing something over..... :yes:

:D:yes: I've met quite a few Masons then! :yes:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Shane

===========

I honestly wasn't thinking along those lines Shane. Was thinking more of those who turn up when the pubs are shut, already three sheets to the wind. It's not just young people who get steamed up by the way, older ones do too, stop being paranoid :yes:

Can't see a problem with membership cards myself, you may think it smacks of a secret society, but so would many other aspects of the scene. Try explaining to your girlfriend why you would pay a fortune for something on vinyl, when you could pick it up for next to nothing on CD. Not trying to open a debate here, just saying that there are many reasons why the soul scene could be considered secretive and if you accept one, its only right that you respect others. I'm sure all that people are doing/saying is to protect whats there already and they're/I wouldn't want to exclude any genuine people wishing to get into it.

Winnie;-)

Social source share

Events like Soul or Nothing, Groovey Grooves and Piercebridge have utilised DJs who I would consider to be established 'Niter' DJs

Soul Sam, Mick H, Andy Dyson, Mark Bicknell, Dean Anderson all spring to mind as being more commonly known as 'Niter DJs' but have had a fair few 'Soul Night' bookings recently.

Years ago you would have HAD to attend a niter to listen to the sounds that were getting played by these DJs

Ah but then you have to stay up all night and some of us are far to old for that Joe :yes:

Niter djs at Soul or Nothing? Paul Sadot and Karl Rhodes are probably considered by some to be niter djs but who else? We've not had any of the djs on your list on yet have we? Most the djs at SON are collectors in the main.

Social source share

I can see a steady decline in Niters over the next few years for the following reasons:

Later licences mean that people are more likely to stay in a 'Soul night' that runs until 3.30+ than scooch off to the 'local' niter... especialy if the designated driver has taken advantage of the later bar times...

Attendees are getting older and many are 'crashing and burning' around the 5 o'clock point, so many will start to go to events that start earlier so that they get their moneys worth before bailing out at 4.30.

Social source share

hmm there used to be a time not so long ago we used to travel up and down the country to hear certain DJ's spin and certain sound's, now people just dont have to travel anymore.... has taken a lot of the fun out of it for a lot of us, as for the few who still make the effort, myself included you don't always get to see the friends you used to, tis sad, but doubt there is anything you or I can do about it :yes: think this needs another thread to discuss this in :yes:

Social source share

Well I think membership cards is a brilliant idea for all club's esp if they accept any membership club from another soul club. BTW Shane, your girlfriend went to the 100 club on Saturday so surely she has a membership card or at least applied for one?

its a horrible idea. elitism at its worse in my opinion.

why do we think we are so special that we have to be protected from 'normal people'.

it all reminds me of horrible golf clubs, gentlemans clubs and the dorchester hotel for example.

like andy mac says - you need a good promoter ensure no one acts up and ruins it for everyone.

non-scene friends of mine already think i am an idiot in a stupid secret world as it is whistling.gif

it will not benefit the growth of the scene one bit. open the doors to everyone and deal with issues as they arise.

Shane

btw. i dont think the 100 club is strict at all. there are always one or two non-members in there. imo. maybe i am wrong?

I said hello to her Saturday Shane, did she tell you ? I always thought the scene was very friendly BTW

hi karen. yes she did mention it. she spoke very well of you. you are a credit to the soul scene crazy legs! :D

Shane

Social source share

like andy mac says - you need a good promoter ensure no one acts up and ruins it for everyone.

----------------------------------------------

And when the promoter fails and someone get's hurt? Do we all refuse to then to to that promoters venue again?

Membership cards have always been a large part of the scene, it's only been the past few years they have declined, along with fights that have increased.

Social source share

----------------------------------------------

And when the promoter fails and someone get's hurt? Do we all refuse to then to to that promoters venue again?

Membership cards have always been a large part of the scene, it's only been the past few years they have declined, along with fights that have increased.

you sound like you are reporting for the daily mail :D what next - ban people with tattoos cos they are likely to cause trouble?

ask brett about rough places :D the soul scene is more like disney world than anything else. except mickey took stronger drugs whistling.gif

Shane

Social source share

soul night djs tend to be local - niter djs tend to go further afield... i.m.o.

apart from London the Niter djs utter crap go were ever they are booked not because they are niter djs but because there reputation gets them the bookings on

01 musical content of box

02 ability to entertain

03 all of the above

niter djs and soul night djs one and the same if booked.

whistling.gif:D

Social source share

what the hell are you on about shane? I never mentioned banning anyone, or keeping so called normal people out of venues, please reply to the people who have said that and dont reply to my posts with your words instead of mine, I think membership cards are a good idea, why you have to turn that into something else is beyond me!

Social source share

what the hell are you on about shane? I never mentioned banning anyone, or keeping so called normal people out of venues, please reply to the people who have said that and dont reply to my posts with your words instead of mine, I think membership cards are a good idea, why you have to turn that into something else is beyond me!

membership cards keep out the general public. 'normal people' is a phrase used on here quite often to descibe the general public.

stop feeling sorry for yourself anyway. you give as good as you get. i aint being personal either. we are only disagreeing on a soul related subject.

whistling.gif

Shane

Social source share

I must say nothing irritates me more than having drunken tossers prat arseing about on the dancefloor at soul venues, this along with the desperate 'Bridget Jones' birds, who stand there looking very desperate and confused when the only decent men there, seem to be more interested in dancing than leering,I have been known to get very forceful in letting them know that they have displeased me, whether this involves deliberately barging into them on the dance floor or telling them, 'there's enough wally clubs for the likes of you. p*** off there,luckily, i don't get much crap back,most realise that a fight with me will go all the way,This is not a rant against anybody who are genuinely curious about the scene,more about the type of unsocial drunken toe rags who are hell bent on ruining other people's nights out, Del x

Social source share

you sound like you are reporting for the daily mail :D what next - ban people with tattoos cos they are likely to cause trouble?

ask brett about rough places :D the soul scene is more like disney world than anything else. except mickey took stronger drugs whistling.gif

Shane

I was waiting for ady at the 100 club to tell me to take my sweatshirt off,everyone seemed to be following me that night,soul on whizz on the back of my shirt some people got a vivid imagination.

Cheers Donald duck

Social source share

I was waiting for ady at the 100 club to tell me to take my sweatshirt off,everyone seemed to be following me that night,soul on whizz on the back of my shirt some people got a vivid imagination.

Cheers Donald duck

whistling.gif:D

brilliant billy

Cheers Goofy

Social source share

Good Idea :D

I think you should be able to use any membership to a soul club at any soul club, bit like old working mens clubs memberships :D

Whats happened to memberships anyway, can remember at one time particularly the 80's when you couldn't get into most venues without one? I can't remember the last time I used a membership card whistling.gif

Social source share

Piss heads being allowed into venues is all down to the promoters trying to cut costs,if you can,t control the door you should,nt be in the promotion game.Promoters priority should be to provide a quality nite that can be enjoyed without intimidation or disturbance from drunks,after all we have enough loonies on the scene as it is .

OI who you calling a looney??????

whistling.gif

Social source share