Wilson Picket Rip

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've always said that it was Wilson's voice on me Mums record player that turned me on to soul music already when I was a little boy. I used to stand on my mums feet and we used to dance to the "Wicked Picket". A very sad day today...

Edited by Jim.
Social source share

:(

Brought up on the soul of Memphis and Atlantic artists were the fore runner of the club soul along with Motown,Where a friendly rivallry was played out,Wilson Picket with his deep soulful voice has been taken from us at 64 far too young

from his early Falcon frecordings to his heyday in the 6ts and his touring and entertaining ever since,Another legend gone all hail the promoters that bring artists for us to see,take the chance as we will never as a generation of soul lovers see their like or persona again.MR WILSON PICKET we salute you.

Sweetsoul Newark

:thumbsup::yes:

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

Very sad news, Midnight Hour on Black Atlantic was the first soul record I ever bought. I heard the news at 4am on the BBC World service and had to play a couple of his records before I went back to bed. Got his autograph somewhere from when he played the Pontiac Club in Putney in 196?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Heard on Radio 4 this morning, started career singing with The Falcons apparently.

Gone to the 'Land of a thousand dances' in the sky.

RIP

Matt

Social source share

Heard on Radio 4 this morning, started career singing with The Falcons apparently.

Gone to the 'Land of a thousand dances' in the sky.

RIP

Matt

===================

his version of 'hey jude' in my opinion is one of the greatest vocal perfornances ever put to vynil..

one of the first soul superstars and a huge loss to the soul world

on another thread theres who woul you like to see over here perform

wilson was one of two for me and the other was Babara Lewis

rip wilson

how we will ever know?

fluff

Social source share

Always sad when one of our hero's passes away. Wilson's seems to be more significant somehow.

Personal faves by him include - I Want You from the LP of the same title EMI 1979

Back In Your Arms, That Woman (Chocolate Mountain LP) Love Never Let Me Down (American Soul Man LP)

Oh and favourite LP cover ''Pickett In The Pocket'' The man hangin' out in the pool hall with his ladeez !

God Bless You Wilson +

Patrick

Social source share

Just listening to the few albums I have by him, listening to old favorites like Jealous Love, She's Looking Good, I'm Gonna Cry, Trust Me and For Better of Worse, man was a real talent, in top tier of soul vocalists surely.

Also found on album something I can't remember from before, his great version of Bring It On HomeTo Me, brilliant double tracked vocals, not his screaming voice just soulful as hell.

Even sort of like his bizarre half Italian half English song Deborah.Maybe thats just nostalgia making me think that. :thumbsup:

On another site somebody accused soul fans of overlooking the well known for obscurity sometimes in Pickets case and I suppose us Northern fans are doubly guilty of this and listening to Picket you realise sometime the cream did rise to the top,

Just off to listen to his Don't Knock My Love lp, can't remember ever listening to it so hopefully a nice way to rediscover and remember him

RIP Wilson.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

I remember reading an article (could have been Dave Godin) trying to define what soul was and it went something like this....When Wilson Picket guested on the Tom Jones Show They sang a duet, whilst Tom sang with soul Wilson sang from the soul. The fact I remember that from thirty plus years shows the mans greatness. "Mr Magic Man" A great loss

BH

Social source share

I remember reading an article (could have been Dave Godin) trying to define what soul was and it went something like this....When Wilson Picket guested on the Tom Jones Show They sang a duet, whilst Tom sang with soul Wilson sang from the soul. The fact I remember that from thirty plus years shows the mans greatness. "Mr Magic Man" A great loss

BH

Mr Godin told it like it is indeed as always -- what does his passing mean to me and what did I think of him, well to sum up my email address says it all.

fdsoul6345789

A TRUE LEGEND in a land of vocal GIANTS

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert