Cala Gone ?once Great Weekender Slips Away Unnoticed

Guest hatman

Guest hatman

Well its true page 3 N.Soul mag burried on a bad news day, what we all suspected the Cala Gran Weekender is no more--apparently moving to Blackpool Tower,(no live acts & no parking !) was also announced on Richards show last night.

• Replies 53
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well its true page 3 N.Soul mag burried on a bad news day, what we all suspected the Cala Gran Weekender is no more--apparently moving to Blackpool Tower,(no live acts & no parking !) was also announced on Richards show last night.

Well never could tell the difference between the tent music and Soul Essence. :lol:

Well never could tell the difference between the tent music and Soul Essence. :lol:
Of course we could love.

S.E.= brilliant music and people, lovely intimate venue, great accomodation.

Cala Gran = dodgy caravans, cold tent and those fuit machines!!!!!!!!

Roll on Yarmouth.

Of course we could love.

Roll on Yarmouth.

Point taken. But how comes I seem to be working at both of them?

Should go as a punter.

Guest Gavin Page

Of course we could love.

Roll on Yarmouth.

13 more sleeps !!

Best move ever. Been waiting for the official announcement so I can have a rant.

Weekenders in out of season holiday camps is for kids not adults. Cala Gran is past its sell by date - the staff were fucking awful. For instance, I had a big row with some anal harridan cow's arse last year because I wanted coffee in one of the china mugs which she had sitting there and not in the tiny carcangenic, toxic, polystyrene cup she wanted to give me. Staying in a caravan in winter is great for kids and alcholics but not for grown ups. There was no food worth eating on site and anyone cooking in a caravan they're only occupying for two or three nights needs their head testing.

The move to the centre of Blackpool is great- you can get decent accomodation, food and the venue is more civilised.

Best move ever. Been waiting for the official announcement so I can have a rant.

Weekenders in out of season holiday camps is for kids not adults. Cala Gran is past its sell by date - the staff were fucking awful. For instance, I had a big row with some anal harridan cow's arse last year because I wanted coffee in one of the china mugs which she had sitting there and not in the tiny carcangenic, toxic, polystyrene cup she wanted to give me. Staying in a caravan in winter is great for kids and alcholics but not for grown ups. There was no food worth eating on site and anyone cooking in a caravan they're only occupying for two or three nights needs their head testing.

The move to the centre of Blackpool is great- you can get decent accomodation, food and the venue is more civilised.

Have to agree with you - food? what food? flippin' awful. :thumbsup:

Rubbish planning on your part. I think you need some good nights out without having to work .

Come out with me and the girls.

:thumbsup:

Might have to take you up on that - but not at the Cala Gran aye?

Somewhere more classy methinks.

People Eat at Weekenders? :thumbsup::yes::lol:

Pedro

Guest Bernadette

mixed feelings really...was lots of caravan fun to be had with mates BUT & I agree with Simon here, it was pretty shite accommodation & freezin' think might be getting too old & need a bit more comfort in me old age :thumbsup:

I would just like to reminisce on some of the great live acts I have seen at the Cala Gran: Barbara Lynn,Camille Hinds,Gary Des-Etages,Bobby Patterson,Jimmy Thomas,Frank Wilson,Kenny Bernard,J.J.Barnes,Prince Phillip Mitchell, Tashan,Peggy Blu,Marvin Smtih,Ruby Andrews,Kenny Thomas,Gene Chandler, Jimmy Conwell, William Bell and of course the great Snake Davis & Band....................loved the music in the tent, wont miss the caravans as had some pretty :thumbsup: ones.

I would just like to reminisce on some of the great live acts I have seen at the Cala Gran: Barbara Lynn,Camille Hinds,Gary Des-Etages,Bobby Patterson,Jimmy Thomas,Frank Wilson,Kenny Bernard,J.J.Barnes,Prince Phillip Mitchell, Tashan,Peggy Blu,Marvin Smtih,Ruby Andrews,Kenny Thomas,Gene Chandler, Jimmy Conwell, William Bell and of course the great Snake Davis & Band....................loved the music in the tent, wont miss the caravans as had some pretty :thumbsup: ones.

================

Personally think the best I've seen in last 10 years........awesome

Winnie:-)

Guest matt tees

================

Personally think the best I've seen in last 10 years........awesome

Winnie:-) [/quote

definately agree, barbara lynn also for me - outstanding vocals and absolutely quality performance.

Guest SAFC-SOULBOY

Shame to see the end of 'Togetherness' @ Fleetwood....We always had a fantastic time there,especially with the introduction of 'the Tent' in recent years,unfortunatley most of my fondest memories are a mere haze due to the alcohol intake at the time :thumbsup:

I appreciate what most folks are saying about the caravans & site services(well past the sell date)but to our lot it was just an excuse to get away for the whole weekend,let your hair down(what's left of it!) enjoy some of the finest music in the world & forget about all the shite out there in life!!-whoops,getting a bit emotional now :unsure:

Anyway good luck with the new venue(won't be the same to me) and many thanks to ALL the team for some brilliant times :D

so whats happened to all the money people have paid to stay at fleetwood, friends of mine have been trying to contact organisers for a week with no luck , phones are going unanswered, Emails not getting replys, smells fishy to me and not just because it,s fleetwood !! Ian.

Ian,

Scare mongering over. Kev Roberts here....the promoter.

Firstly, anyone who books for our events and a problem occurs, they are refunded.

For the record(as if anyone doesn't know) sales@goldsoul.co.uk ask for me personally.

Richard Searling basically have had enough of the Cala Gran and its dire treatment of not only us, but our customers.

A new venue..The Blackpool Tower is the setting for our 10th Togetherness Weekender. We are too long in the tooth to put up with any nonsense from venues(large or small), hence we have moved on.

Full details surrounding our new venue will be posted by the weekend.

Did it not occur to you that the same promoters are the guys behind STOKE, WHITBY, BLACKBURN etc?

Guest Adam G

Scaremongering aside Kev you didnt answer the question.As Ian wrote people have not being able to get in touch with your organisation let alone discuss refunds,you could at least address his concerns without turning the point to how you were treated by the Cala Gran owners.

Scaremongering aside Kev you didnt answer the question.As Ian wrote people have not being able to get in touch with your organisation let alone discuss refunds,you could at least address his concerns without turning the point to how you were treated by the Cala Gran owners.

Adam

We are totally upfront professional promoters. Anybody, anytime can reach us.

Ian's comments are as daft as yours!

Goldsoul 01909-774111 ext 21 email sales@goldsoul.co.uk web site www.goldsoul.co.uk

Text us 0784-1197874

Kev, just a note possibly in your defence, usually a couple of weeks after the Soul Weekender at the Cala Gran is "The Great North West Scooter Rally" it is an end of year rally and has been held at the Cala Gran for the past 4 / 5 years, the promotors of the event are also having doubts as to wether the rally will be held there this year due to the way people have been treated also power cuts and fire alarms over the weekend.

Peter

Guest Adam G

Adam

We are totally upfront professional promoters. Anybody, anytime can reach us.

Ian's comments are as daft as yours!

Goldsoul 01909-774111 ext 21 email sales@goldsoul.co.uk web site www.goldsoul.co.uk

Text us 0784-1197874

Sorry Kev of course you are right once again I was being daft asking such impertinant questions.

I bow to your superior marketing and promoting upfront skills.Good luck with the soul nights at the tower. :lol:

Kev, just a note possibly in your defence, usually a couple of weeks after the Soul Weekender at the Cala Gran is "The Great North West Scooter Rally" it is an end of year rally and has been held at the Cala Gran for the past 4 / 5 years, the promotors of the event are also having doubts as to wether the rally will be held there this year due to the way people have been treated also power cuts and fire alarms over the weekend.

Peter

I personally would never deal with them again, unless of course they bribe me! biggrin.gif

I personally would never deal with them again, unless of course they bribe me! biggrin.gif

How much to come to Weston-Super-Mare in the summer Kev :lol:

Oh forgot your already comin down here :lol:

Good luck at the Tower Kev :D

HB :D

Point taken. But how comes I seem to be working at both of them?

Should go as a punter.

Great memories are made of this

Like the time they had the extra one in April one year

Well we arrived and major Groundworks where going on

The Guys Eager to get from the van to the bar

Left me struggling in their wake carrying a Record Case

I was not happy at the time

UNTIL

They eventually slowed down and turned to see what i was making so much noise about :lol:

Well to put a long story short

I was the only one to walk round the WET CONCRETE!

Pedro

Is this a permanent move then? I was talking to someone tonight who listened to Richard's show at the weekend and he got the impression it was just being moved for this year, is that correct? Not that I attend anymore but I'm sure other regulars would like to know.

I hope the event is in the Tower Ballroom, if so surely this must be the finest dancefloor ever at a Soul Event.

I can just picture the hammond organ rising up from the stage with Reg (or georgie fame)

Pedro

If its in the Tower Ballroom what a fantastic venue superb dancefloor and

a atmospheric building :D Can just see Kev Roberts going down on the organ ( on the stage )

He He :lol:

You beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::D:D

If its in the Tower Ballroom what a fantastic venue superb dancefloor and

a atmospheric building :lol: Can just see Kev Roberts going down on the organ ( on the stage )

He He :D

Please rephrase this Mr Cunnliffe :lol: by the way ... did you get the fiver you wanted for those records you were carrying around at the weekender :D:D

Please rephrase this Mr Cunnliffe :lol: by the way ... did you get the fiver you wanted for those records you were carrying around at the weekender :D:lol:

==========================================================================

Learn to spell Randy its Cunliffe with one N . :D

Regarding those 45,s they where just conversation pieces you know can I look at your records

NO NOW F OFF :D .Well thats my excuse why i did,nt sell them in fact I gave one away free

to that nice Steve Connor !!!

==========================================================================

Learn to spell Randy its Cunliffe with one N . :D

Regarding those 45,s they where just conversation pieces you know can I look at your records

NO NOW F OFF :D .Well thats my excuse why i did,nt sell them in fact I gave one away free

to that nice Steve Connor !!!

oops sorry about the spelling and you start my name with a "M" not a "R" unless it's saturday night :lol: I bet you had to give Mr Connor the fiver too :D lovely to see you by the way :lol:

Guest kelvinx

Blimey, I remember the lively thread after last years Fleetwood weekender...everything in the garden was supposedly rosey.I enjoyed Fleetwood but after going to Prestatyn I was gonna give it a miss this year.

Change of venue could well breath new life into the event,BUT punters are spoilt for choice and most weekenders seem to be suffering as a result IMHO .

TOWER SHOULD BE GOOD.....WAS ONCE IN THE LIFT THERE IT WAS PACKED AND SOMEONE AT THE BACK SHOUTED 'BALLROOM' ...SO WE ALL MOVED FORWARD !!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS WAS JUST THE EXCUSE I NEEDED TO POST A CRAP OLD GAG...AND NO JOKES ABOUT IT HAVING WHISKERS ON IT !!!!!!!!

Kev, the contact No's have been passed to my friends but they are different to any number they previously had, lets see if these work, why then has it taken so long to contact people, surely the people that pay your wages deserve to come 1st ?

Don't get me wrong i,m not having a go at you, your events rank as the best i have been to as i,m sure many will agree and long may they continue.

the fleetwood/fishy reference was humour !!! KTF Ian Seaman.

Kev, the contact No's have been passed to my friends but they are different to any number they previously had, lets see if these work, why then has it taken so long to contact people, surely the people that pay your wages deserve to come 1st ?

Don't get me wrong i,m not having a go at you, your events rank as the best i have been to as i,m sure many will agree and long may they continue.

the fleetwood/fishy reference was humour !!! KTF Ian Seaman.

MR Seaman

01 what friends

02 what humour

03 wages

04 best events????????????

05 fish ugh

06 people whio know you

07 come 1st Kev Roberts

08 morning reading

09 rank thats correct

10 KTF naff site(imo)

your loving cohort

Doug

:shades::lol:

ps this thread has gone on 2 long, " Cala Grande" dead bury it !!!

How much to get up to the modern room in the lift ? £15 ?

Bet they will love the Talc & chewing gum on that lovely dance floor in the main ballroom :shades:

in the words of a very old song "there may be trouble ahead--------"

seem to remember some nighters/dayers here back in the 70s only lasted a couple of times due to the above and "Jobs Worths" moaning. did anybody on here go ?

Edited by Dung-Hinger

How much to get up to the modern room in the lift ? £15 ?

Bet they will love the Talc & chewing gum on that lovely dance floor in the main ballroom :sweatingbullets:

in the words of a very old song "there may be trouble ahead--------"

seem to remember some nighters/dayers here back in the 70s only lasted a couple of times due to the above and "Jobs Worths" moaning. did anybody on here go ?

Standby for THE BEST EVER VENUE that NORTHERN SOUL has ever WITNESSED. That I can assure you.

ENJOY.

The venue is fantastic - the event will be fantastic... and the move forward to the Tower is fantastic....and then the old predictable shit stirrers (is that the right term?) will have to find something else to be snide about ! Must be terrible having nothing to do but pop up and whine. Envy is very self distructive.

Cannot remember any do's there in the 70,s, used to take my kids there in the late 80,s/90,s for a good day out when i lived in Preston, will Peter Kay be there ?? Ian.

Barrowby soul - last sat of the month @ the memorial hall Barrowby Nr Grantham Lincs ( A1/A52 turn)

7.30pm till 12, £3.50 door tax, guests each month, wooden floor, car park, great atmosphere, late bar.

Guest ShaneH

never been up the tower. sounds a great idea though.

that was the venue for tv's 'come dancing' if i am right??

i also heard the circus holds residency there too. how do they get all the lions & elephants up the lift? :thumbsup:

Shane

Source Advert