Butlins Minehead Soul Show Presented By David Gest

Went to minehead Friday nite to the butlins David gest soul spectacular featuring Kim Weston, Brenda holloway , g c Cameron ,Sheila ferguson, Denise Williams, Percy sledge and others. All I can say is what a shambles I've never seen so many hen parties stag dos and pissed up kids every bar we tried was like walking into hell, the show itself was great but again I felt it was marred by these drunken morons eg Brenda holloway singing when I'm gone she leant out to touch a few people's hands right next to me and you've got this young guy next to me dressed as where's wally trying to smack her arse as she bent over !!! . On the hole the weekend was not enjoyable hence we came home Sunday instead of Monday, I'm not an old grouch by any means but when your chalet neighbours are throwing a mattress out the front door onto the grass in the morning because one of them had pissed the bed wtf, so wondered if anyone else has seen this show or had a similar experience

Social source share

Hi. I'm sorry about your experience with the audience. I'm interested to hear about the different performers of the show though, was everyone good, can you describe how each performer was, the highlights, who still has it, who doesn't, etc.? Some people I've seen are fantastic (like Renaldo Domino) and others aren't in as good form. Thanks a lot.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We were at Skeggy and went to see the 3pm show it was delayed until 4.10pm but these things happen, the show imho needs to be sorted out to give some sort of dignity to Martha Reeves bless her this legend can barely speak let alone sing surely an introduction to the crowd and a walk on to a medley of some of her songs via cd and sign a few autographs would be far better than to subject her to trying to sing Dancing In The Street.Jimmy Mack etc, she just can't do it neither can Candi Staton , the best in the show was without doubt Dorothy Moore's Misty Blue she got a standing ovation and broke down at the crowds reaction to this majestic lady I applauded through tear filled eyes and thought it was worth the money we had paid for the weekend just to be there at that moment,a bloke in front of me was sobbing [girl] :) , the younger ones can still perform though. As for people not behaving well it's an adult weekend and unfortunately it's par for the course, in the NS venue the Crazy Horse there were one or two undesirables in but on the whole it was ok. Skeggy is adding a NS weekend to it's line up so it will be interesting to see how this works out.

Edited by Paddywack
Social source share

Hi. I'm sorry about your experience with the audience. I'm interested to hear about the different performers of the show though, was everyone good, can you describe how each performer was, the highlights, who still has it, who doesn't, etc.? Some people I've seen are fantastic (like Renaldo Domino) and others aren't in as good form. Thanks a lot.

Martha Wash, Denise Williams have still got strong voices and can deliver a good performance Sheila Ferguson just about gets by Percy Sledge struggles so does Billy Paul , Brenda Hollaway and Kim Weston who cares just to be in the same county let alone the same room was enough for me but Martha Reeves imho is being subjected to a circus act ok no-ones holding a gun to her head but I for one think she deserves far far better treatment than this.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I felt sorry for Kim Weston the lady is so old 74 I think,and looks it she shouldn't be on the road at her age bless her,I bought a couple of nice signed b&w photos kw Brenda holloway and they were selling signed programmes signed by every artist at £ 100!

none of them are getting any younger, kim is 73 , martha 71 , brenda 66 , percy 71 , sheila ferguson 66

Social source share

We were at Skeggy and went to see the 3pm show it was delayed until 4.10pm but these things happen, the show imho needs to be sorted out to give some sort of dignity to Martha Reeves bless her this legend can barely speak let alone sing surely an introduction to the crowd and a walk on to a medley of some of her songs via cd and sign a few autographs would be far better than to subject her to trying to sing Dancing In The Street.Jimmy Mack etc, she just can't do it neither can Candy Staton , the best in the show was without doubt Dorothy Moore's Misty Blue she got a standing ovation and broke down at the crowds reaction to this majestic lady I applauded through tear filled eyes and thought it was worth the money we had paid for the weekend just to be there at that moment,a bloke in front of me was sobbing [girl] :) , the younger ones can still perform though. As for people not behaving well it's an adult weekend and unfortunately it's par for the course, in the NS venue the Crazy Horse there were one or two undesirables in but on the whole it was ok. Skeggy is adding a NS weekend to it's line up so it will be interesting to see how this works out.

Wow I wonder what happened to Candi Staton, I saw her supporting Al Green 4 years ago and she blew him off the stage, she was brilliant

Social source share

Saw em at Skeggy and unfortunately for me the best singers were the ones I was least interested in

Agree with most of what Paddywack says with the exception of Sheila Ferguson who I thought was pretty good.

Dorothy Moore was fantastic, Martha Wash (Weathergirls) has a great voice still but crap material for my taste and Denise Williams was fairly good as well.

I cant say much about Kim Weston and Brenda Holloway other than I was just glad to see two legends as I've never seen either of them before so that was good enough for me.

Percy Sledge, Billy Paul & Candi Staton struggled IMO

The main thing that struck me though is that someone needs to sit Martha Reeves down and tell her she just cant sing anymore. A motown legend like her really shouldn't be embarrassing herself this that, very sad to see.

To conclude, I'm coming to the opinion that the days of bringing the older 60s act over to the UK are numbered as very few can still cut the mustard

Social source share

you're all forgetting one act on that Skeg stage ............. GC Cameron ! so good, i went to watch him sing again at the later show. jaw dropping vocals, was i impressed? oh yes.

poor old Martha, never a fan to be honest, but as others have said, she should be out to graze. Brenda Holloway, loved her, Candi Staton, loved her, Billy paul, loved him, Percy Sledge, loved him., Sheila Ferguson still has it. Dorothy Moore, tears all round, simply wonderful, Denise Williams , a true songbird indeed. (and strangely sexy i thought)

as for the original post, no problems at Skeg, enjoyable weekend

Edited by IanP
Social source share

you're all forgetting one act on that Skeg stage ............. GC Cameron ! so good, i went to watch him sing again at the later show. jaw dropping vocals, was i impressed? oh yes.

poor old Martha, never a fan to be honest, but as others have said, she should be out to graze. Brenda Holloway, loved her, Candi Staton, loved her, Billy paul, loved him, Percy Sledge, loved him., Sheila Ferguson still has it. Dorothy Moore, tears all round, simply wonderful, Denise Williams , a true songbird indeed. (and strangely sexy i thought)

as for the original post, no problems at Skeg, enjoyable weekend

Strangely kinky more like, what the hell was she wearing? And the way she handled the mike :huh:

Your right about GC Cameron he was pretty good

• Helpful 1
Social source share

the NS weekender at Skeggy Butlins is a one off for Wigan 40th anniversary, no plans to hold any more according to Butlins staff

Dorothy Moore was pure gold, GC Cameron was fantastic as was Billy Paul in my book, the rest were poor sadly in my opinion of course

as for the piss heads well thats what the weekend is all about to Butlins !! they sell £1M of wet sales at these weekends !!

Ian.

Social source share

Hi All, well it was a brilliant weekender at Butlins. The acts were very good but Sunday afternoon was brilliant, Dorothy Moore made me cry it was beautiful soul. Then Martha Reeves voice not that good, Kim Weston great to see her live, remember they were big in the sixtes 50 YEARS ago! Sheila Ferguson Brilliant, Martha Walsh Brilliant, Candy Statton Good, Billy Paul Very Good, Deneice Williams Good and many more very good. After these acts we all went to the Crazy Horse venue on Butlins caravan site for some serious Northern (great dance floor), now I cant feel my legs today after 11+ hours of dancing over the weekend. Can't wait for next year. Thanks to Butlins staff and the friendly people who went to the weekend. No trouble, no drunks and NO KIDS brill.

Thanks Tex KTF

PS I heard there was 5000 there at the weekend.

Edited by Tezrez
Social source share

minehead seems to be the piss up venue for weekenders in the south west nowadays...motown,80s,ska etc all end up the same way i think..

never been a big fan of elderly soul acts so only seen a few...mary love at camber was ok..still had a good voice but other than her few northern tunes the rest was slow gospel

dean parrish still has the voice and loves the northern crowd so aswell as his few tunes he does loads of others..a top showman

the elgins were ok...but still not blown away to be honest....dont get me wrong fair play to any of them still healthy enuff to be doing it just doesnt do it for me

vibrations at prestatyn?...will be there but a lot of their stuff is very uptempo!!

dean

Social source share

Strangely kinky more like, what the hell was she wearing? And the way she handled the mike :huh:

Your right about GC Cameron he was pretty good

she done that with the mike at minehead wtf was she doing like as though the mike was the male genital( can I say that lol ) ha ha was waitin for the baby oil to come out
Social source share