Probably Get My A%&e Kicked For This

Guest Marky Tee

As I said to Wiggyflat, this was played in the Modern Room with 800 people in and the majority of 'em loving it. Anyone wanting to hear Northern or Rarities had 3 other rooms to choose from. 

It was also played in the main room on saturday night by Snowy  :(

Social source share

Any one that likes that Bob Sinclair record needs their head examining.. I have a rack of over 4000 House 12's here and everyone of em is far better than that.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Ian, just to piss you off   :lol:

Mine eyes hath seen the lowely depth of Hades. Please save me from these Stygian depths... Or somefink

Social source share

look at the basics here, its a record that took a long time to get big, it is a big floor filler, people like it, i can take it or leave it but, i do play it out if i think it will go down well( its not let me down so far really) is it soul ?? prob not, but then again was javells,footsee or the cherry people any better at wigan ?? i dont think so !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I played BS at the Stute back in winter 2010 Mick J had done the last spot & I walked up to the decks & dropped this on after all the lights had come on to see the reaction! it got! .... even the girls from behind the bar got on the floor along with everyone that was stood around chatting, back then it filled the floor it's just one of the many feel good dance records that dancers love to dance too. .....by the way this was an Andy Jackson sweet soul play four to five years ago. 

I like it but that don't stop me liking the likes of Billy Kennedy and such.   

Steve J

Social source share

Tell that to the 800 happy people who were dancing @ Prestatyn. Would any of those 4000 12"'s on yer shelves have had a similar effect? I think not. :thumbsup:

Ian D :D

800 you say.. Good job you're not Pinnoccio..

It's a God awful record and anyone that says otherwise should be ashamed of themselves.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

800 you say.. Good job you're not Pinnoccio..

It's a God awful record and anyone that says otherwise should be ashamed of themselves.

God awful record, that's your opinion & I respect that, but I'm not ashamed of myself for my opinion of this record or any other opinion I hold that's for sure. 

Social source share

I played BS at the Stute back in winter 2010 Mick J had done the last spot & I walked up to the decks & dropped this on after all the lights had come on to see the reaction! it got! .... even the girls from behind the bar got on the floor along with everyone that was stood around chatting, back then it filled the floor it's just one of the many feel good dance records that dancers love to dance too. .....by the way this was an Andy Jackson sweet soul play four to five years ago. 

I like it but that don't stop me liking the likes of Billy Kennedy and such.   

Steve J

you made the place buzz that nite steve stopped everybody going home they tryed to make you play it again

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Cluggy

God awful record.totaly agree with you Steve,I respect people for liking whatever music theyre into ,be it northern,modern ,crossover or

R n b but not someone who says you should be ashamed for having your own mind to choose what you like

Social source share

Good God.. It's the 21st Cent equivalent of the theme from Joe 90.. Think of all the great records that have been played on the Soul scene.. Then listen to it again.. :facepalm:

Social source share

I sometimes wonder what some folk use as their bechmark to gauge the quality (or not) of other tunes. DJs that play this kind of trash either have no point of reference to assess quality or care more about the ego boost from a full dance floor than the spirit of what should be played.

It's a complete cop out to say that because other equally bad and worse records have been played under the banner of soul music, then it's fair game to continue to play more bad records. Hardly what could be called progressive is it ? You would like to hope that some would have gained an greater appreciation of playlist rights and wrongs over time....but clearly not..

It's a pretty poor testament to what lessons should have been learned over the past... IMHO of course.

No doubt this will be acclaimed as a floor filler for many Blackpool Tower events to come.... $$$$$$$

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I for one would listen & dance to this kind of record every time over some of  the funky edged 60's & 70's played as progressive & forward thinking soul over last few years at Northern soul nights & nighters, but saying that I would not want to listen to BS at one of them nights either, at across the board nights it has a place IMHO.

Why do you need a benchmark of music? if I like a record I like it if I don't I don't! I certainly never tell anyone else what they should be liking or not liking. & if Blackpool tower floor is full to BS good luck to them I hope they enjoy for many years to come, it's not for me.

Steve J

Social source share

Why do you need a benchmark of music? if I like a record I like it if I don't I don't! I certainly never tell anyone else what they should be liking or not liking. & if Blackpool tower floor is full to BS good luck to them I hope they enjoy for many years to come, it's not for me.

Steve J

Because it's absolutely shit and there are thousands upon thousands of better House records that should be played in it's place.

Social source share

I sometimes wonder what some folk use as their bechmark to gauge the quality (or not) of other tunes. DJs that play this kind of trash either have no point of reference to assess quality or care more about the ego boost from a full dance floor than the spirit of what should be played.

Rubbish. There's no one-size-fits-all equation here. I consider some of the things I hear out as badly produced trash that wouldn't be played out in a month of Sundays if they weren't rare. I've never played the Bob Sinclar out as it's way too poppy for me personally but I wouldn't denigrate another DJ for playing it. I don't think it's got anything to do with point of reference or ego either. The people with ego problems are the ones who try and outguess the dance-floor in my experience.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Any one that likes that Bob Sinclair record needs their head examining.. I have a rack of over 4000 House 12's here and everyone of em is far better than that.

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say, you don't like it? .... fine. Don't be a nazi about it telling other people what to like and not like 

Social source share

Rubbish. There's no one-size-fits-all equation here. I consider some of the things I hear out as badly produced trash that wouldn't be played out in a month of Sundays if they weren't rare. I've never played the Bob Sinclar out as it's way too poppy for me personally but I wouldn't denigrate another DJ for playing it. I don't think it's got anything to do with point of reference or ego either. The people with ego problems are the ones who try and outguess the dance-floor in my experience.

Fine, you like it, you think it was inspired tune to play.

I don't.

It's a million miles away from the spirit of the scene and what most of us signed up for.

Each to their own.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

It's just the kind of house track i was told to listen to years ago and kept me away from even listening to other so called soulful house for years so I'm still catching up to some degree I'm not to keen on it to be honest way to repetitive beat with nowhere near enough breaks for my liking, Now give me Julie McKnight, Terry Ronald, Joi Cardwell or the similar and I'll be happy.

Each to there own.

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Christ the records I love the most are often terribly produced, in technical terms, that's never been the point for me, true soul transends production quality.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Tell that to the 800 happy people who were dancing @ Prestatyn. Would any of those 4000 12"'s on yer shelves have had a similar effect? I think not. :thumbsup:

After you get past the first 40 bars of what you call an intro, you have a perfectly good dance record.  I guess that puts me in the minority, but this record has a good beat, minimal lyrics and a dance to you drop tempo.  Sounds like it was right for the time (it was in the late 60's-70's era?) Trust me, I have heard worst, much worst!

Lorraine

Social source share

Hear Hear Ian

I've djed for 30 years playing what I like, I bought Bob  Sinclair about  a year ago when I first knew about it after seeing it as someones want and it works a treat, playing to a crowd who judge a record by how it makes them feel, last Saturday the place went wild.

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Dinner and dance music............. I'll have the chicken in a basket please. C'mon enough's enough where's Jeremy Beadle?

Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

Christ the records I love the most are often terribly produced, in technical terms, that's never been the point for me, true soul transends production quality.

Hey, I'm the other end of the spectrum Geeselad. I like to hear my true soul unhindered by a terrible production if possible. I get frustrated with terrible productions. Whenever I hear 'em I think, "if only..........."

Social source share

I can't believe the vitriol being levelled at this piece of inoffensive pop house. I'd never heard it until this thread and was expecting far worse. I wonder what grates so particularly about it? It actually takes a fair bit of skill to make something so inane but insidious.

I go along with Davie in that people have a right to listen or dance to what they want to without being told off about it.

The interesting thing to me (and might be useful for a separate topic) is Ian's point about getting 800 people in one room on any part of the UK soul scene to dance to a record these days not being particularly easy. Think back to the huge dance floors of the past and maybe one can excuse some of the more inane and/or accessible tunes played. 

If that video looks embarrassing to people because they're dancing to Bob Sinclair would it make it any less embarrassing if the same people were dancing in the same way to some of the mega oldies which John Manship has been auctioning in recent times and which people have been salivating over in other current topics?

Are Larry Clinton or Gwen Owens any more 'underground' in any way after thirty five years of being pressed, re-issued, blasted on youtube to a global audience etc.? Or are we just obsessed too much about the format? Is it not really all just about the price tag?

Of course it's nice to see these classic originals in nice condition, but is building a scene around those particular artefacts any more legitimate or indeed any more to do with 'Northern Soul' than this?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey, I'm the other end of the spectrum Geeselad. I like to hear my true soul unhindered by a terrible production if possible. I get frustrated with terrible productions. Whenever I hear 'em I think, "if only..........."

I know where your coming from Ian, guess that's why your in the industry and I'm not. What is and isn't terrible production is purely subjective anyway, I suppose I meant that I'd sooner hear a badly mastered, lo-fi production with great ideas than than some of the derivitive pap that seems to pass muster.   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't believe the vitriol being levelled at this piece of inoffensive pop house. I'd never heard it until this thread and was expecting far worse. I wonder what grates so particularly about it? It actually takes a fair bit of skill to make something so inane but insidious.

I go along with Davie in that people have a right to listen or dance to what they want to without being told off about it.

The interesting thing to me (and might be useful for a separate topic) is Ian's point about getting 800 people in one room on any part of the UK soul scene to dance to a record these days not being particularly easy. Think back to the huge dance floors of the past and maybe one can excuse some of the more inane and/or accessible tunes played. 

If that video looks embarrassing to people because they're dancing to Bob Sinclair would it make it any less embarrassing if the same people were dancing in the same way to some of the mega oldies which John Manship has been auctioning in recent times and which people have been salivating over in other current topics?

Are Larry Clinton or Gwen Owens any more 'underground' in any way after thirty five years of being pressed, re-issued, blasted on youtube to a global audience etc.? Or are we just obsessed too much about the format? Is it not really all just about the price tag?

Of course it's nice to see these classic originals in nice condition, but is building a scene around those particular artefacts any more legitimate or indeed any more to do with 'Northern Soul' than this?

despite still hating B.S. that's some articulate stuff wot you did say vere! 

seriously some very well reasoned points that are hard to argue with. 

Social source share

this is my yardstick for soulful house, cant even call it bleeading garage nowadays!

At its best,house can be as soulful and sublime as the finest the 1960's had to offer

And that's where we totally agree Geeselad! Quite simply the greatest House tune ever made and right up there in there in my Top 10 records of all time! Doesn't get any better for me!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say, you don't like it? .... fine. Don't be a nazi about it telling other people what to like and not like 

Not being a Nazi if i was i'd invade Bob Sinclair and make him join the SS.. It's a shit record and doesn't deserve to be played, even Bob Sinclairs made some half decent ones better than this.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Not being a Nazi if i was i'd invade Bob Sinclair and make him join the SS.. It's a shit record and doesn't deserve to be played, even Bob Sinclairs made some half decent ones better than this.

it's a shit record in your opinion, I don't know you so why the hell would I take your opinion for anything? what makes you think you have better musical taste than the 800 who packed the floor..... that's just arrogance 

Social source share

it's a shit record in your opinion, I don't know you so why the hell would I take your opinion for anything? what makes you think you have better musical taste than the 800 who packed the floor..... that's just arrogance 

A 800 is a mythical figure.. B I have impeccable taste..

In time you will think back and realise.. It's shit.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

A 800 is a mythical figure.. B I have impeccable taste..

In time you will think back and realise.. It's shit.

I've never said it wasn't shit, but people like it and that's up to them and not for me to slate them for liking it 

Social source share

I've never said it wasn't shit, but people like it and that's up to them and not for me to slate them for liking it 

Sometimes some one has to take the Bull by the Horns and tell people.. WTF do you think you're doing listening to shit like this.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I hadn`t heard the Bob Sinclair 45 until this thread, and boy do I wish I hadn`t.  Just my opinion is all, but I would not be impressed if this was played out at a Northern Soul night...

You see SoulJihad this is the perfect post .... dislikes the tune but doesn't question anyone elses sanity in the process 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!