New Vinyl Recommendations

Guest uroffal

You've put some time in on this thread Andy, some nice tunes most of which I did'nt know, Cheers

Many thanks . Another one , and what a gem - The Impressions 'Rhythm', their first single in 30 years and featuring original members, Fred Cash, Sam Gooden, as well as Reggie Torrian. A future Waterfront play for sure....correction - Finny tells me its already had plays @ The Waterfront...

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Great to see this thread still running, thanks to all the regular contributors.

I rather like this Nicole Willis tune now available as a limited 7" (originally an Oslo Soul Experience 10th Anniversary single but some here https://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/nicole-willis-the-soul-investigators-ebony-evans-you-got-me-moonwalking-loving-you-is-all-i-wanna-do

Sorry it's not on YouTube but you can listen at the link above :)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really sure why this has been edited down to 7" format. Mentions a glitch on the 12" original but that's just nonsense.

Would also question if they were legal as they certainly don't look it & don't even give the artist's full name of Ronnie 'Loveman' Stokes or even any writer or producer credits.

Social source share

Two tracks on 7" for the first time, (to my knowledge), and so very , very nice............................

Nicole Willis & The Soul Investigators - You got me moonwalking b/w Ebony Evans- Loving you is all i wanna do

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/nicole-willis-the-you-got-me-moonwalking/506638-01/

Great and a ltd release !!! Must get one quick .
Social source share

A few i've picked up over the last couple of weeks, firstly a couple more disco inspired tracks.................

Katzuma - all night ........Ltd picture disc

https://originalcultures.bandcamp.com/album/zoooriginals-2-7

Kon - On my way............ double 7" collectors ltd edition, multi coloured vinyl

131319.jpg

https://www.firstexperiencerecords.com/product-detail///BBE/Kon/on+my+way+dubs+-+7+inch+Doublepack+Vinyl/vinyl/3986

and albums....................

Sheilah Cuffy - sharing loving giving Ltd edition 

https://www.firstexperiencerecords.com/product-detail///Thomas+G/Sheilah+Cuffy/Sharing+Loving+Giving+-+LP+Vinyl/vinyl/4022

The Coalitions - Colour me blue

the_coalitions-colour_me_blue.jpg

https://www.souljunctionrecords.co.uk/SJLP5006.html

https://www.firstexperiencerecords.com/product-detail///Soul+Junction/The+Coalitions/Colour+Me+Blue+-+LP+Vinyl/vinyl/4049

Edited by ajb
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Not really sure why this has been edited down to 7" format. Mentions a glitch on the 12" original but that's just nonsense.

Would also question if they were legal as they certainly don't look it & don't even give the artist's full name of Ronnie 'Loveman' Stokes or even any writer or producer credits.

Ok let me address this and answer some of the points.

First off, why was it edited down to a 7"?

First off, practicality. Second, why not? Third, because for as long as I've known the record it's been remarked numerous times about how cool that would be if it had been issued on a 45.

Why are 12" singles ever issued on 7"?

Well, I guess initially it was to ensure radio play. These days it's to please a format fetish I guess. 

In this case this edit started life back in the early 2000s when I was asked to DJ at the O.S.E. For ease I wanted to just take a box of 45s but also wanted to play this. The full length track wouldn't fit on a carver so I cut it down at what I thought was the best point and also - contrary to what you state - 'fixed' the undoubtedly jarring intro (the 'nonsense glitch' if you want): that bit where it starts but sounds like the 'record' button wasn't hit on time. Go on, go back to your 12" single and have a listen.

In terms of legality, you're rightly asking 'was anyone paid'? No. Not yet, but as with all of these things, there are funds waiting (in Escrow) for the owners if/when I manage to locate them. Which I'm still pursuing on an almost daily basis. Trust me it's not for want of trying. After searching online, trying numerous possible phone numbers, sending friend requests on google+/facebook, PMs, and emails to an ever expanding list of possible relatives as yet no response has come back. Maybe one of the original importers can shed some light on a possible contact? I've also taken up pen and pad (well, computer and A4) and sent a letter to a 'last known' address. And then just last night (coincidentally after the letter went into the mouth of the post box) I discovered that the likely owners of the Ronnie Stokes track - namely James and Dot Bynum - are most likely deceased. If all avenues of inquiry fail (I'll keep at this as far as I can take it) then the money that is in reserve - in Escrow - will go to a children's charity in the North Philly area. 

The same goes for the flip side - infact this morning two emails for the undoubted owner bounced right back. It was a miracle I managed to find an address and email for that individual seeing as his name has about 6 variations and he's moved addresses at least 8 times! ASCAP doesn't offer much either.

You'd be amazed at how much reissue product that looks like properly licensed material actually isn't. In fact, the credits for the Ronnie Stokes track on this release don't mention any licensing details and the small print carries the usual 'we've made every attempt to contact the owners etc, get in touch etc...'

https://www.zrecords.ltd.uk/product-detail/SoulFunkDisco/67/Z+Records/Various+Artists/The+Soul+of+Disco+Vol.3+compiled+by+Joey+Negro/cd/6

That's not to 'justify' what you'd want to call a boot, it's to illustrate that if you're going to gripe at this, then you'll also want to gripe at a lot of other stuff too. The lack of details and the name abbreviation was meant to act to differentiate it from the original (after all, it's an edit...a different version to a degree) not to have it masquerade as the original on a 7". 

So if anyone's wanting a copy, check it out here - you can be safe in the knowledge that either way, funds will eventually go to the right cause or a good cause.

Social source share

Ok let me address this and answer some of the points.

First off, why was it edited down to a 7"?

First off, practicality. Second, why not? Third, because for as long as I've known the record it's been remarked numerous times about how cool that would be if it had been issued on a 45.

Why are 12" singles ever issued on 7"?

Well, I guess initially it was to ensure radio play. These days it's to please a format fetish I guess. 

In this case this edit started life back in the early 2000s when I was asked to DJ at the O.S.E. For ease I wanted to just take a box of 45s but also wanted to play this. The full length track wouldn't fit on a carver so I cut it down at what I thought was the best point and also - contrary to what you state - 'fixed' the undoubtedly jarring intro (the 'nonsense glitch' if you want): that bit where it starts but sounds like the 'record' button wasn't hit on time. Go on, go back to your 12" single and have a listen.

In terms of legality, you're rightly asking 'was anyone paid'? No. Not yet, but as with all of these things, there are funds waiting (in Escrow) for the owners if/when I manage to locate them. Which I'm still pursuing on an almost daily basis. Trust me it's not for want of trying. After searching online, trying numerous possible phone numbers, sending friend requests on google+/facebook, PMs, and emails to an ever expanding list of possible relatives as yet no response has come back. Maybe one of the original importers can shed some light on a possible contact? I've also taken up pen and pad (well, computer and A4) and sent a letter to a 'last known' address. And then just last night (coincidentally after the letter went into the mouth of the post box) I discovered that the likely owners of the Ronnie Stokes track - namely James and Dot Bynum - are most likely deceased. If all avenues of inquiry fail (I'll keep at this as far as I can take it) then the money that is in reserve - in Escrow - will go to a children's charity in the North Philly area. 

The same goes for the flip side - infact this morning two emails for the undoubted owner bounced right back. It was a miracle I managed to find an address and email for that individual seeing as his name has about 6 variations and he's moved addresses at least 8 times! ASCAP doesn't offer much either.

You'd be amazed at how much reissue product that looks like properly licensed material actually isn't. In fact, the credits for the Ronnie Stokes track on this release don't mention any licensing details and the small print carries the usual 'we've made every attempt to contact the owners etc, get in touch etc...'

https://www.zrecords.ltd.uk/product-detail/SoulFunkDisco/67/Z+Records/Various+Artists/The+Soul+of+Disco+Vol.3+compiled+by+Joey+Negro/cd/6

That's not to 'justify' what you'd want to call a boot, it's to illustrate that if you're going to gripe at this, then you'll also want to gripe at a lot of other stuff too. The lack of details and the name abbreviation was meant to act to differentiate it from the original (after all, it's an edit...a different version to a degree) not to have it masquerade as the original on a 7". 

So if anyone's wanting a copy, check it out here - you can be safe in the knowledge that either way, funds will eventually go to the right cause or a good cause.

I had a few copies of the orig.12" from Neil rushton a few years ago J, it might be worth getting in touch with him as he imported these in back in the day, he may have a link for you to follow.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Two tracks on 7" for the first time, (to my knowledge), and so very , very nice............................

Nicole Willis & The Soul Investigators - You got me moonwalking b/w Ebony Evans- Loving you is all i wanna do

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/nicole-willis-the-you-got-me-moonwalking/506638-01/

none left at Juno - looks like almost sold out elsewhere - recon this ones gonna be a future collectors 45
Social source share

This will be out at the end of November - first time on 7" for 'Thinking About You', a track otherwise 'buried' on a mid 70s Country album, backed with one of Roy's later House of Roton sides. I picked up the album probably 5 years ago and figured it'd be nice to see this track on a 45 - the album goes for $$$ and is mainly Country with this and a long version of 'You and Me Together' tacked onto the end. 

If you like you can pre-order one here

https://vimeo.com/78912516

Edited by Jason S
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!