Venues Too `sterile`?

Phil

:lol: :lol:.........no I don't HONEST........I happy in the East Riding.......gods own country.

I may support the premier Yorkshire football team (The Mighty Leeds) but really I support a proper team from a proper sport...........Hull Kingston Rovers,come the Robins :thumbup:

Cheers

Martyn

:ohmy:  :facepalm:

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

I wasn`t suggesting that people do and sorry you think it`s a stupid thread.

I recently went to a soul night held in a spotless social club, brightly lit, tables and chairs everywhere, small concrete dance floor, pristine facilities, clean and tidy bar etc. but despite some great records being played there it just had no atmosphere and I might as well have listened to a load of records at home is all I`m saying

It's not stupid. If you love the music at a venue but the place lacks atmosphere and feels wrong then you're not going to keep going so definitely matters about the atmosphere of a place

Social source share

:ohmy:  :facepalm:

How very dare you...........& you live in East Hull..........which is the Christian side of the river where it only rains when East Park needs watering & where grass & tree flourish.Not like the heathen side of the river where it's always dark n gloomy & nothing will grow,were all wear nothing but black n white clothing as they have never seen colour  :wicked: 

I feel we may carry this on at the weekend :D 

Cheers

Martyn 

Social source share

There was a do once under London bridge station at a sh*t hole. Allegedly someone got a rare infection from the wall and nearly died.....Clean armchairs please :lol:

Was that in Johnny Pezzella aka Gamel aka Nylons club under the Arches Steve ? Ady held the 100 club there for about 6 months a few years back. Now that place made the toilets at Bidds appear luxurious.

The place was literally falling apart, I think it was Des Parker who was standing leaning with his hand against the wall at an R&B allniter, as he took his hand away part of the wall came with him stuck to his hand. You never wanted to touch anything there :)

Top bloke Johnny though :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I shall be at the Stables on Saturday for Lifeline (blatant plug) and there is nothing sterile about that place.

Plenty of great venues about although there are some places that need a bulldozer. Dunno why most promoters feel we are more than happy shit holes with flea bitten seating.

The Wilton is one of the best venues I've been in, nice clean and ideal for an all-nighter.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Used to frequent Canklow which was a wreck of a joint. A massive crack ran down the middle of the Dance Floor, There was one Toilet for both Ladie and Gebts where the pan was precariously balanced on a Beer Crate. The wals were decaying and the room stunk of damp etc. Fantastic place, one never to be missed.

Social source share

These Old Shoes in the basement of the River Bar, just over Tower Bridge, had a great atmosphere, just like an old club from the 1960s, with music to match. And don't forget the sloping dance floor where you ended up against the DJ's plinth. The month before it closed the basement was refurbished, new floor, tables, etc. Even my wife said that if just wasn't the same.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

remember a couple years back at bidds the dancefloor peeling up and they had to put a table over it! :) still love it though

while we're getting away with blatent plugs not only was our venue in bristol a napolionic prison so very atmospheric..it was also the riverside club in only fools and horses! :yes:

dean

Edited by spacehopper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If you want a shabby speakeasy feel in a club that's been going for decades...try the KGB in Sheffield.....

If you want a warm welcome in a room reminiscent of Mr M's (in terms of aesthetics that is).....try Davy's in Sheffield...

If you want a plush room with a chilled atmosphere and a stunning dancefloor....try Route 61 in Sheffield....

but if you expect to hear only wornout oldies......be prepared for a pleasant surprise

.....Kind Regards from Sheffield Two-wrists Information  :D

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

not keen on these ultra modern type venues. At my age i like a backrest,hate being stood up all night with a plastic pint in my hand. Or in one venue a can at £3.50 a pop.

Four quid a can in one place I recently visited,I don't know about spinning but a rapid about turn was the order of the day when being told after a polite inquiry how much the drinks on offer cost,"Four quid a bloody can!the can would have be equal in liquid holding capacity to those old party 7 cans.Fair enough the bar was open till 4 in the morning but why make the price of a drink the same number as the bar closing time. Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

I think they've finally put a seat on the bog, does that count?

Changing the bog roll does not count as a refurbishment :wicked:

News of the comfy fire damaged ex DFS sofa's and Lawrence LLewellyn Bowen red flock wall paper hasn't reached your ears yet Guy's :yes:  :D Mace has even repaired the club's automatic dishwasher too :lol:

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Four quid a can in one place I recently visited,I don't know about spinning but a rapid about turn was the order of the day when being told after a polite inquiry how much the drinks on offer cost,"Four quid a bloody can!the can would have be equal in liquid holding capacity to those old party 7 cans.Fair enough the bar was open till 4 in the morning but why make the price of a drink the same number as the bar closing time.

Coming back to this posting,I don't really drink a lot these days especially at an all nighter but one or two maybe,usually fruit juice though,thing is this Four quid a can business got me a little angry as people were being ripped in my opinion and they did seem to sell a fair bit that night.Now if they were offering a nice glass of Stimplete at four quid a shot,count me in but same price for R stripe no way,about turn and offski,wheres the water tap! Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!