Clifton Hall

Earl Jackson is Lonzine Cannon on Phillips, fantastic record.

I loved Pat at Clifton Hall, loved Clifton Hall but often think I don't give Pat enough credit for his role in late Wigan to Stafford days, he really was turning sounds out and was really at top of the tree in those days.

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Ann Sexton is on tip of my tongue, that was still getting played at Stafford was it not?

Clifton Hall was really the b*llocks, another educating venue for me. I have it down as mostly modern but actually Pat's list sums up lots of it.

I grew up lots, it was probably my college after my Wigan schooling, and travelled alone lots, it just never seemed like there was any other choice!

F**k me I think I am catching nostalgia disease this last few weeks, heeelpppp.

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Its not a c/u mate, its on Jovial, pretty sure I still have it, but cannot for life of me remember how it goes, another similar song keeps popping in my head and can't think what that is!!

Thanks mate, the Billy Hambric I was thinking of is this one, 

UNKNOWN "I Just Can't Go Back" "Billy Hambric"

It is in the list on the topic in the link above, whole host of Pat spins trying to identify.

Social source share

Not to mention the Bobby Adams "Thats the kind of man I am" --- Poke again played this...shame about the dodgy tash  though !!

The dodgy tash was forgiveable I reckon - Poke was awesome at Clifton Hall and the After Dark Cleethorpes nighters. A real mixed set oozing quality.

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The dodgy tash was forgiveable I reckon - Poke was awesome at Clifton Hall and the After Dark Cleethorpes nighters. A real mixed set oozing quality.

Peter

Yes...but the checked shirt !...agree probably the best place to hear music of a varied quality...never found anywhere quite like it...

Social source share

Now I think I asked this before (my memory is not what it used to be) but did I see a mirror overlooking the toilet cubicle in the men's bogs or did I imagine it? How did they get away with that :D

Blimey - glad you mentioned this as I distinctly recall seeing the mirror and thought at the time "that's out of order" but Human Rights Lawyer's hadn't been invented then.

Have mentioned it to a few people over the years and just got complete blank looks.

At that time though it was commonplace to see several people coming out of one cubicle at once. It was probably rare then for somebody to actually go into a cubicle to use the toilet.......

Don't think the mirror lasted long though.

Derek

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

• 7 months later...
Guest thecruiser

Loved Clifton Hall, but the Windmill was a great Sunday night venue. I think Derek Sheldon started it - what happened to him? Started going there around '79. A bunch of us (Manky, Glynn Bentley, Stan etc) from Thurnscoe, Houghton, Goldthorpe (Tony Carter, Dave Coxhead etc), Bolton-on-Dearne (Mick Reader) and Wath ('Titch' - Chris Laws) , used to jump on the old Dearnways bus, have a couple of pints in the Travellers Rest and then head up to the football ground. Inside, the venue was a typical  cosy 'disco' nightclub, but some great tunes played and pints of snakebite downed. 

Top plays were Edward Hamilton; Eddie Parker; Maurice Williams; Nate Evans; Willie Hutch; Linda Jones; Bobby Hutton; Eula Cooper…Just a nice way to end the week before the start of the weekday grind on Monday morning.  Always packed, happy memories

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this topic, how were the Preston Street Dancers received.  Tolerated, irritating (as I've heard from some), well liked, by that I do not mean as individuals but out on the floor.

Mixed really Chalky.

They were certainly accepted but could be mildly irritating too. They were part and parcel of what was Clifton Hall - I seem to recall that their horns (noisy ones not devil ones) were a pain. Made me paranoid as hell!

:sweatingbullets::wicked::sweatingbullets:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember that crew all contributing to the atmosphere, while the likes of Curtis on Charm city & King tutt were being spun. Some what amusing, but I wasn't offended. I was offended however when some rat found my cloakroom numbered ticket on the floor which had fallen from my pocket, which he used to steel my bag along with the records inside that I had just purchased. All sort of fell into place on my following visit as I was looking for Tower of power 'This time it's real'. A real evergreen oldie now , but back then I could not for the life of me remember the artist. Anyway I saw this record in a one of Tim ash's boxes with a similar title, so I took the chance. I ended up with George Hobson, it was £15. Being a bit green and a bit of a muppet you never know what you might end up with!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think most of us older Preston lads were slightly irritated with Dave Duncans Preston street dancers, at the time.  We were all entrenched sixties and didn't really have time for this disco/funk music.  The boiler suits and whistles made them stand out too much and as shown, on previous posts, "The Preston (and other places) cybermen" were totally different crowd to "The Preston street dancers".

Reflecting now I think they added to the atmosphere.

I always link the Falklands war with Clifton Hall, as I remember talking to young forces lads who had come back from the Falklands with injuries there.

Louis

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Loved Clifton hall, cracking mix of music and a nighter made better by the crack on the bus ride from Nottingham to Sheffield and then another to Rotherham. One strong memory I have - being well into the footy casual thing back then was a load of footy lads there in the side bar, in Fila Bjs, Borg Elites etc. They looked the part.

wasnt a fan of hooligans attending niters, witnessed some horrifying incidents, who goes to a niter armed wi a Stanley.this happened at a venue in Edinburgh not the above mentioned venue. 

Edited by tenuate
place of incident
Social source share

Guest Byrney

wasnt a fan of hooligans attending niters, witnessed some horrifying incidents, who goes to a niter armed wi a Stanley.this happened at a venue in Edinburgh not the above mentioned venue. 

hooligans have been on and very active on the scene before I joined in 78. On the casuals front I've never seen dressers at nighters ever kick off, even with opposing firms in the same room (Odefellows was interesting for a Nottingham lad - I ended up doing Stafford with Derby DLF young lads). Yes there was an edge to them but personally I like the atmosphere of a bit of edge to a nighter rather than the cuddly care bear scene we have now.

on going to nighters tooled up- I know of a few standard 'soulies' who carried so not just the sole preserve of the hoolie.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

thats your experience, at certain Scots niters, they were a bloody nuisance, not happy travelling and cops stopping niter cos o these people who had no place being there.and I am well aware niters weren't cuddly affairs. Met my fair share o nut jobs at least they were soul nut job's. Seen someone pull a bayonet at niter, that was early 80s.

Loved Clifton hall, cracking mix of music and a nighter made better by the crack on the bus ride from Nottingham to Sheffield and then another to Rotherham. One strong memory I have - being well into the footy casual thing back then was a load of footy lads there in the side bar, in Fila Bjs, Borg Elites etc. They looked the part.

was

Edited by tenuate
forgot to add detail
Social source share

Guest Byrney

was

don't know what happened with your post but to reply here's your's response separate from mine: 

"thats your experience, at certain Scots niters, they were a bloody nuisance, not happy travelling and cops stopping niter cos o these people who had no place being there.and I am well aware niters weren't cuddly affairs. Met my fair share o nut jobs at least they were soul nut job's. Seen someone pull a bayonet at niter, that was early 80s."

lets not get too mixed up between dressers / casuals and out and out hoolie nut jobs. Did most of the Allanton Allnighters - did you see that lad with the wedge, best company T sweatshirt and Adidas T masters on the door? That's Kerso, well respected Motherwell casual, joint author of the book Dressers and avid record collector at the time.

Do you know any of the Aberdeen lot? Well not naming names but one big, lovely bear of a man who was and still is bang into the scene was one of Aberdeen's ASC. There were a few more dotted around as well; all regulars, some collectors or DJs and travellers who dressed in the style and / or enjoyed a caper at the match, so to say not welcome is a bit much. Don't think someone's a daft thug just because he's wearing Masimo Osti - you'd be very surprised :)

Also going back to my original post re Clifton Hall, I was wearing a Tachini Dallas at the time which on the terrace would have bought me a legging, the lads in the bar just looked and turned away, no hassle. 

Social source share

don't know what happened with your post but to reply here's your's response separate from mine: 

"thats your experience, at certain Scots niters, they were a bloody nuisance, not happy travelling and cops stopping niter cos o these people who had no place being there.and I am well aware niters weren't cuddly affairs. Met my fair share o nut jobs at least they were soul nut job's. Seen someone pull a bayonet at niter, that was early 80s."

lets not get too mixed up between dressers / casuals and out and out hoolie nut jobs. Did most of the Allanton Allnighters - did you see that lad with the wedge, best company T sweatshirt and Adidas T masters on the door? That's Kerso, well respected Motherwell casual, joint author of the book Dressers and avid record collector at the time.

Do you know any of the Aberdeen lot? Well not naming names but one big, lovely bear of a man who was and still is bang into the scene was one of Aberdeen's ASC. There were a few more dotted around as well; all regulars, some collectors or DJs and travellers who dressed in the style and / or enjoyed a caper at the match, so to say not welcome is a bit much. Don't think someone's a daft thug just because he's wearing Masimo Osti - you'd be very surprised :)

Also going back to my original post re Clifton Hall, I was wearing a Tachini Dallas at the time which on the terrace would have bought me a legging, the lads in the bar just looked and turned away, no hassle. 
Edited by tenuate
post withdrawn
Social source share

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, chalky said:

Can anyone give me a detailed description of the walk up to the building, what it looked like and of the interior.  I have a coup,e of crappy pictures that are on-line but I'd sooner have a decent description from Clifton Hall nighter goer.

I shall cast my mind back nigh on forty years later on Chalky. There are a couple of pics on in previous threads. From the outside it looked like something out of a horror movie in the night sky!

Pete

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

I shall cast my mind back nigh on forty years later on Chalky. There are a couple of pics on in previous threads. From the outside it looked like something out of a horror movie in the night sky!

Pete

Cheers Pete. It was an eerie looking building from the outside. 

Social source share

The first 5-10 minutes of this shows the inside entrance and bar/record bar (which was on the left hand side as you walked in) pretty well. It looks exactly like it did when the nighters were on.

As for the rest of the long, long video it looks like they've put tables and chairs onto the dance floor making it smaller than the nighters, that had the tables and chairs pushed out to roughly under the balcony.

Edited by El Corol
mistake
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It was up the hill from the bus station and opposite Clifton park.

It ran midweek Northern Soul nights before the all nighters, and replaced the assembly rooms as the place for 14 to 18 year old went for the weekly dose of Wigan and Cleethorpes tunes.

I remember one skinny curly haired Rotherham youth in there that could spin for England. Like a battling top....

Rovrum was a hot bed of Northern around that time, including the Windmill nightclub at Millmoor. Absolutely loved it in there.

Ed

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Long time ago - hitched a lift from Sheffield station on my own - two girls pull up in a vw bug one jumps in the back - can't remember how We got round to it but said ain't you scared of the Yorkshire ripper , with that the girl in the back pulled out a claw hammer from under the seats and said no we have this - they dropped me off at the roundabout just outside town.

So am walking through town where's Clifton hall I ask two old bill, up the hill / what's in your bag / they search the bag and find some Mogadom caps 50 - they take me to the police station count the caps out on the table - put them back in the bottle then said there's 60 in there if we see you in the morning we're count them again and there needs to be 50 - I said I might have one in the morning they said ok 49.

cliffton hall had steel posts around the dance floor must have been supporting a small balcony or something am sure - shit long time ago 

See the guys in pics behind them steel posts and other pic balcony/ am not going mad

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 22/07/2013 at 19:51, chalky said:

I did notice whilst going through the echoes from 1981 and early 1982 how few venues there was at times.

The 'scene' was on 'life support' Chalky.

Wigan was on its way out.

The Mecca, Cleggy and Samanthas had all gone, along with all those other great venues of the early and mid 70's.

Clifton Hall was the last chance saloon.

And it was incredible.

Number one with a bullet.

I hardly ever missed a nighter, at the time, despite professionally DJing most weekends.

Then working at the Windmill on a Sunday, with a superbly progressive music policy, it seemed logical that I should join the team.

The music was fresh and vibrant and the 'one room for all' approach gave the scene the 'shock treatment' it needed.

60's fans actually found that they could enjoy new and recent music!

It was a good few years after before it all started going backwards again... but it was good while it lasted.

If you want more info (or a bit of my own perspective) let me know and we can try to meet for a coffee... or a pint!

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

12 hours ago, Sean Hampsey said:

The 'scene' was on 'life support' Chalky.

Wigan was on its way out.

The Mecca, Cleggy and Samanthas had all gone, along with all those other great venues of the early and mid 70's.

Clifton Hall was the last chance saloon.

And it was incredible.

Number one with a bullet.

I hardly ever missed a nighter, at the time, despite professionally DJing most weekends.

Then working at the Windmill on a Sunday, with a superbly progressive music policy, it seemed logical that I should join the team.

The music was fresh and vibrant and the 'one room for all' approach gave the scene the 'shock treatment' it needed.

60's fans actually found that they could enjoy new and recent music!

It was a good few years after before it all started going backwards again... but it was good while it lasted.

If you want more info (or a bit of my own perspective) let me know and we can try to meet for a coffee... or a pint!

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

Sean

Will definitely be in touch Sean, still after a detailed description of the place, a view from a punter :thumbsup:

P.S. The pint sounds better :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I remember one night we were on our way and couldn't find the place.We were all well blocked and must have passed this police sergeant three times who was standing on the corner of a street and looking suspicious at us.As we were passing the local police station. Psyco (Chris Jenkinson) who was in the car with us suddenly said "stop the car and i'll go into the station and ask the old bill the way." Talk about bottle, we were amazed at Chris.Needless to say he came out with directions and as they say a good night was had by all. One record always sticks in my mind from Clifton hall,I think it was a Searling cover up,Over the top by Roy Dawson covered up as the Chicago gangsters.                              Regards Fred 

Edited by Mr Fred
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!