Jock Mitchell - Not A Chance In A Million (Impact)

Hi everyone

Interested in views about the desirability, collectability, rarity and price of the different formats of Jock Mitchell's "Not A Chance In A Million" on Impact.

I have had a white demo for years, but also chased after a red stock copy for quite a while as I thought this was the much rarer and more desirable format, and therefore more collectable, valuable etc.

Now I want to let one go - but I'm in a dilemma about which  :g:

Manship's guide vales the white demo at £50 more than the issue. Seems to be the opposite of what I though - on value at least.

Grateful for any thoughts on this conundrum please  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest trickbag

Artist: JOCK MITCHELL spacer.gif Title: NOT A CHANCE IN A MILLION spacer.gif Label: IMPACT spacer.gif Condition: M- spacer.gif Time Left : -38m

Ends 29/11/2013 17:00:00 BST spacer.gif Starting Bid:  £100.00 spacer.gif Highest Bid: £610.00 spacer.gif Details: WE HAVE BEEN TURNING UP SOME STUNNING VINYL LATELY & NONE FINER THAN THIS FABULOUS PIECE OF DETROIT SOUL FROM THE PEN OF DUKE BROWNER.

AN ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL EXAMPLE OF THIS NORTHERN CLASSIC ON A MEGA RARE RED STOCK COPY

this one was/is on pat bradys auction, Richard.

ricky.

post-22229-0-54290500-1386412923_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest trickbag
Search

Classic Northern Soul,Jock Mitchell,Not A Chance in A Million,Impact,1967,45 rpm
  • Price:
    • $593.89 USD
    • Pounds  363.29.

• Start Date: May 12, 2013
  • End Date: May 19, 2013
  • Bids: 16
  • Seller Feedback: 3106
  • Buyer Feedback: 2620

380638582651.jpg This is a rare soul 45 by Jock Mitchell on the Impact label.  The sides are "Not A Chance In A Million" and "I Got To Know".  The record was released in 1967 and is in very good condition with some light wear,scuffs, great sound quality (VG+).  The labels are clean with light wear.

this from frenzy

ricky.

Social source share

Guest trickbag
NORTHERN SOUL JOCK MITCHELL NOT A CHANCE IN A MILLION / NARBAY BELIVE IT NOT 45
  • Price:
    • $18.82 USD
    • $19.32 AUD
    • $19.36 CAD
    • €15.17 EUR
    • £12.11 GBP
    • Â¥1488.77 JPY
  • Start Date: May 23, 2012
  • End Date: May 30, 2012
  • Bids: 10
  • Seller Feedback: 995
  • Buyer Feedback: 434
160807085373.jpg

TAKE ADVANTAGE ON THE BUY FIVE ITEMS AND SHIP FOR THE PRICE OF ONE -

INFO -   JOCK MITCHELL - NOT A CHANCE IN A MILLION / NARBAY - BELIVE IT OR NOT - IMPACT

• GRADE-  M- CONDITION -

this one dave.

ricky.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got a demo first and chased after an issue for ages thinking it was rarer, which all the helpful comments seem to confirm.

Think this is one which is the wrong way round in the Manship Guide.

I think the red Impact issues look a bit tatty so stick with the WDJ.

While Im on re Motown bit harder to get esp hits in M- than that discussion suggests. I ain't even got "Dancing in the street" yet !

ROD

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think the red Impact issues look a bit tatty so stick with the WDJ.

While Im on re Motown bit harder to get esp hits in M- than that discussion suggests. I ain't even got "Dancing in the street" yet !

ROD

Cheers Rod - yes, know what you mean about Impact red issues not being as good looking as the demos. Think that's why I kept both of the Jock Mitchells. Done the same with the Volumes and Lollipops on Impact - and reckon the issues of both of those are harder than the demo too.

Good point on the big Motown hits re condition - interesting observation, but as a moderator I would have expected you to have put that comment on the actual thread - off topic alert!  :lol:

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Both red stock and white DJ of the legitimate original issues are rare.  But I think that the white DJ is the more common of those two.  I'd seen many of the WDJ in my record searching and looking at people's collections, and only seen one real red stock copy.  Mind you, that was all before 1980.  I don't know if any boxes were found after that. or any were obtained from Harry Balk.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There was a time in the mid 70's when Soul Bowl seemed to have more red issues than demos.

These days there does seem to be more demos for sale than issues.

Still a hard to get record because most copies are residing in top collections. 

Social source share

There was a time in the mid 70's when Soul Bowl seemed to have more red issues than demos.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Artist: JOCK MITCHELL spacer.gif Title: NOT A CHANCE IN A MILLION spacer.gif Label: IMPACT spacer.gif Condition: M- spacer.gif Time Left : -38m

Ends 29/11/2013 17:00:00 BST spacer.gif Starting Bid:  £100.00 spacer.gif Highest Bid: £610.00 spacer.gif Details: WE HAVE BEEN TURNING UP SOME STUNNING VINYL LATELY & NONE FINER THAN THIS FABULOUS PIECE OF DETROIT SOUL FROM THE PEN OF DUKE BROWNER.

AN ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL EXAMPLE OF THIS NORTHERN CLASSIC ON A MEGA RARE RED STOCK COPY

this one was/is on pat bradys auction, Richard.

ricky.

I see Pat has another red issue on auction now sitting at £450 with 6 days to go.

https://www.northernsoul45s.co.uk/auctions_detail.asp?id=1058

The scan looks identical to the one you posted Ricky above - same slight blemished on the label.

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-83199200-1389194088_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest briktf

There's two boots of this, the one with Nabay on the back and a better looking counterfeit, but easy to spot as it's vinyl not styrene.

(Why do idiots call Nabay "Narbay" and even bootleg it as "Narbay?)

are the boots of this stamped in dead wax ,thanks

Social source share

Jock Mitchell original issue rarer agreed but I have all the goodies on demos including Jock mitchell, I just think

the demos look nicer and more distinctive. Incidentally a clean demo has just gone through ebay at over $1300 

If you are fortunate enough keep em' both. Bet you ont let Duke Browner go on a demo if you have one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Interesting that.

I always remember Poke saying to me 35 or so years ago, when talking about digging in Detroit, 'we used to tread on Jock Mitchell's to get to the good stuff'

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!