Message In The Music: The Ashley Beedle Re-Edits. Out 10/02/14

Not traditional Soul Source territory I know, but this may be of interest to some, especially the Ruth Copeland, New York Port Authority, 8th Day, Holland-Dozier, Gene Chandler and Doris Duke tracks among others. I'll post up some promo clips of the more relevant tracks shortly.....

Message In The Music - The Ashley Beedle Re-Edits

a1d0e5d6-8561-4ca8-9517-4320c5dc1a72.jpg

Amazon Link: 

Message In The Music: The Ashley Beedle Re-Edits must hold the world record for being the longest-ever time that a compilation has been in development! The project first began way back in November 2009 and has mutated every year since then, until we finally got the album that we wanted to release. Within the previous four years we have had to deal with missing master tapes, companies changing ownership, deals finishing etc, etc, so the track-listing has evolved organically, which was exactly right for this project.

Many of these tunes are appearing on CD for the first time and, as usual, Ashley’s superbly eclectic and wide-ranging taste in music has delivered a project which is jam-packed with innovation and experimentation.  CD1 takes a trip through some early 1970’s cult dance rock classics from Family, Ace, Cado Belle, Ruth Copeland and even the Fall before branching into some seriously rhythmic and percussive rare dance classics from Panama, Brainstorm, New York Port Authority, Los Africanos, the 8th Day, Bill Withers & Cymande. CD2  features some awe-inspiring selections from the Soul/Funk/Rare-Groove arena with Brainstorm, Holland-Dozier, Gene Chandler, Donna McGhee, Three Pieces, Switch, The Gap Band, Kyle Auldist, the Astra Nova Orchestra, Doris Duke and Heaven N’ Hell to round off an incredible musical journey. Each and every tune has the usual sure-fire signatures of a top-notch Ashley Beedle re-edit and should easily follow the recent successes of Ashley’s 12” releases, Yardism 1 & 2 (DJ magazine’s Record of the Week for both releases).

Also included within the package, will a bonus DVD featuring a full Ashley Beedle interview about the making of Message In The Music with a track-by-track analysis with DJ Magazine’s Ben Murphy grilling Ashley about his studio work and how he became one of the worlds’ foremost Re-Edit experts. Plus we also include a 20 page booklet with sleeve notes by Ben Murphy and exclusive pics of Ashley from a brand new session.

Message In The Music will run another huge-profile PR campaign which take in all key music related publications and all online activity throughout January and February 2014. The album will be promoted to radio from the 20/01/2014 with a sustained 3 week campaign up to the release date and beyond including a large number of Ashley Beedle interviews on key shows.  After 4 years in the making, we can’t wait to see this album finally reach the public. Make no mistake — the wait has been worthwhile!

CD 1

1. Burlesque       - Family
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 5.33

2. You’re All That I Need - Ace
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 5.13

3. I Name This Ship Survival - Cado Belle
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 5.13

4. Gimme Shelter - Ruth Copeland
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 9.25

5. Touch Sensitive - The Fall
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 4.19

6. Long Train Runnin’ - Panama
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 6.22

7. Hangin’ On        - Brainstorm
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 4.16

8. Rainbow        - New York Port Authority
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 6.09

9. Do It        - Los Africanos
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 6.45

10. Cheeba - The 8th Day
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 6.02

11. Railroad Man - Bill Withers
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 10.21  

12. For Baby Ooh - Cymande
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 5.58  

13. Guess I’m Gonna Cry - New York Port Authority
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 3.44

Total Running Time: 79.00

CD2

1. Journey To The Light - Brainstorm
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 7.24  

2. Don’t Leave Me - Holland-Dozier
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 7.11  

3. All About The Paper - Gene Chandler
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 6.34

4. I’m A Love Bug - Donna McGhee
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 5.57

5. I Need You Girl - The Three Pieces
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 8.32

6. Keeping Secrets - Switch
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 4.42

7. Keep Holding On        - The Gap Band
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 5.28

8. In A Week, In A Day - Kyle Auldist
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 6.31

9. Soul Sleeper - Astra Nova Orchestra
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 5.51 

10. Woman Of The Ghetto - Doris Duke
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 9.19  

11. Whatcha Gonna Do - Heaven N’ Hell
Ashley Beedle Re-Edit 9.54

Total Running Time: 77.00

+ DVD

Ashley Beedle interview with Ben Murphy from DJ Magazine

Ian D  :D
Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Should be of interest to anyone with ears Ian.

One would hope so Geeselad. :thumbsup: There's a large degree of cross-pollination (i.e. I don't think there's many lovers of the Fall on here) but Ashley's influences are pretty diverse and he digs like a bastard so it's a real musical odyssey. Plus I was unaware of the Ace, Cado Belle, Panama and Kylie Auldist tracks too which was pleasant plus the added bonus that I've totally fallen in love with New York Port Authority for the first time - "Guess I'm Gonna Cry" (with Steve Mancha on vocals I believe) has been going through my head all week along with "Rainbow" which kinda reminds me of Crown Heights Affair with a more Soulful lead. 

Here's another l'il taster with snippets of Doris Duke, Gene Chandler and 8th Day.....

"Message In The Music: The Ashley Beedle Re-Edits" - 3 Track Video Promo Sampler Doris Duke/Gene Chandler/8th Day

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Ian

best if you use the news feature for release news

the news gets more exposure due to the format/structure  and lets the forums get on with normal discussion type threads

plus avoids  the posting of clips etc coming over as a keep it at the top of the page ott promotion thing

cheers

mike

Edited by mike
Social source share

Ian

best if you use the news feature for release news

the news gets more exposure due to the format/structure  and lets the forums get on with normal discussion type threads

plus avoids  the posting of clips etc coming over as a keep it at the top of the page ott promotion thing

cheers

mike

Gotcha loud and clear Mike. Can you move it?  :thumbup:  

Social source share

A remix of Doris Duke, ooooh I am scared to listen, Ashley has big balls to take that on. A bit eclectic for me, but on order now so another bit on your pension! 

Good to finally meet you, looking like I might be down a lot more this year post Feb, so another pint sometime!

Social source share

A remix of Doris Duke, ooooh I am scared to listen, Ashley has big balls to take that on. A bit eclectic for me, but on order now so another bit on your pension! 

Good to finally meet you, looking like I might be down a lot more this year post Feb, so another pint sometime!

It's going to have a pretty wide audience I hope Jocko. A bit eclectic for me too but I like to give different stuff a try every now and then. It could be worse - I've got a bangin' Saaaarf London Deep House album out in 3 weeks too but that would be the last nail in my coffin if I posted it here.  :lol:

And, yes, I'm up for a drink as you've probably realised so gimme a shout and let me know where you'll be imbibing.....

Social source share

Trendy remixes though Kev, not sure you hairy chested North East blokes like these Southern DJ's messing with your Doris's.

The DJ doing it is a big soul fan though so I have faith in him, and is nearly Scottish now, so worth a tenner of your hard earned I would say, go halfs with Gaz and share it! 

Hope you boys are good, great seeing you at DT, need to do it more this year.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Trendy remixes though Kev, not sure you hairy chested North East blokes like these Southern DJ's messing with your Doris's.

The DJ doing it is a big soul fan though so I have faith in him, and is nearly Scottish now, so worth a tenner of your hard earned I would say, go halfs with Gaz and share it! 

Hope you boys are good, great seeing you at DT, need to do it more this year.

Will do Jock, lot broader minded these days, as long as its soulful mind, going to Essence in April, I owe you a large Whisky my man

Best

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Get the bangin saaarf london deep on here too Ian !!!

Some of us can handle it !!

It's going to have a pretty wide audience I hope Jocko. A bit eclectic for me too but I like to give different stuff a try every now and then. It could be worse - I've got a bangin' Saaaarf London Deep House album out in 3 weeks too but that would be the last nail in my coffin if I posted it here.  :lol:

And, yes, I'm up for a drink as you've probably realised so gimme a shout and let me know where you'll be imbibing.....

Social source share

Get the bangin saaarf london deep on here too Ian !!!

Some of us can handle it !!

I've got a bangin' Saaaarf London Deep House album out in 3 weeks too but that would be the last nail in my coffin if I posted it here.  :lol:

A link/title would be good - even if by PM!

Social source share

We were so, so lucky to find that Doris Duke track. What an atmospheric slice of 70's funk......

One of my all time favourite records Ian, only have it on The Contempo Atlantic Deep Soul Album, had it since it 1st came out in the 70's, great album by the way

Kev

Social source share

Aren't the Deep Intentions nights held at Kings Cross? What's the South London conection?

DJ Deeper Purpose who runs the Deep Intentions nights is currently courting my 20 year old angelic daughter (who was also hanging around with that Tulisa last week grrr). So, because Steve aka Deeper Purpose is always sniffing around my place, I've been getting a consistent soundtrack of what they call Deep House over the last 15 months. Plus they dragged me down to Egg a couple of months back and I was the last man standing LOL, so I've been dipping my toe into yoof culture LOL.....

It's actually more or less a complete copy of late 80's House but better recorded in my view. Not enough Soul content for my ears but I like da riddims......

Social source share

DJ Deeper Purpose who runs the Deep Intentions nights is currently courting my 20 year old angelic daughter (who was also hanging around with that Tulisa last week grrr). So, because Steve aka Deeper Purpose is always sniffing around my place, I've been getting a consistent soundtrack of what they call Deep House over the last 15 months. Plus they dragged me down to Egg a couple of months back and I was the last man standing LOL, so I've been dipping my toe into yoof culture LOL.....

It's actually more or less a complete copy of late 80's House but better recorded in my view. Not enough Soul content for my ears but I like da riddims......

My 15 year old son loves that stuff too. He will be impressed when I tell him what I've learnt today :D

Social source share

My 15 year old son loves that stuff too. He will be impressed when I tell him what I've learnt today :D

I quite like doing projects like this because they kind of force me to check out different areas. It turns out that the kids of 2014 aren't that different from the kids of 1974. They spend most of the weekend out, they have a liberal attitude towards drugs and they require fast music. I think kids generally need high-octane music to burn off all their energy. When I went out with 'em it was great. Got to the first place @ 12.00am and I was still having a whale of a time @ 1.00pm the next day three clubs later.

Took me approximately 2 months to recover though......:)

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Okay you have sold it to me, but if its just those repetitive UK style stuff, I will be sendimg you a personal refund request :D

Social source share

Okay you have sold it to me, but if its just those repetitive UK style stuff, I will be sendimg you a personal refund request :D

Blimey, can't have that, especially if you're down here in February! 

Here's a l'il taster:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RbgBanf1Mg&feature=share

I want you to be 100% sure about what you're getting into here......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB-vfnXoByU

Social source share

I put Beedle on in the back room of the House venue I was resident at throughout the 90s and beyond....the back room was used to Chemical Brothers, Kelvin Andrews, Jon Of The Pleased Wimmin etc...left field stuff....Beedle came on, opened with Eloise Laws - Love Factory and played an hour and a half of Seventies Northern....I got on the mic at the end and shouted 'there you go you house bastards, how much left field do you want!?  :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I put Beedle on in the back room of the House venue I was resident at throughout the 90s and beyond....the back room was used to Chemical Brothers, Kelvin Andrews, Jon Of The Pleased Wimmin etc...left field stuff....Beedle came on, opened with Eloise Laws - Love Factory and played an hour and a half of Seventies Northern....I got on the mic at the end and shouted 'there you go you house bastards, how much left field do you want!?  :wink:

LOL, he has a wide taste. He sure knew his Hi stuff and did some blinding work on Al Green and Syl Johnson before we unfortunately got denied.......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Same as above. I accidentally deleted it. I'm really not very good with this stuff.but for those who missed it, these are such fabulous tracks.....

"Rainbow - New York Port Authority - Ashley Beedle Re-Edit

"Guess I'm Gonna Cry" - New York Port Authority - Ashley Beedle Re-Edit

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Well, halfway through the week and "Message In The Music: The Ashley Beedle Re-Edits" is FLYING out! It feels like the old days when hot records really took off. In 3 different Top 10's on Amazon too and a sterling No.67 in yesterday's midweek charts. Great stuff! I'm so happy this worked out after 4 years of slog! Congrats to Ashley Beedle - one of the UK's true dance music pioneers.

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 249 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
#6 in Music > Hip-Hop & Rap
#8 in Music > Dance & Electronic > House
#10 in Film & TV > Music DVDs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008ULM8JW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1QYXTP253YN66YESBRKB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!