Monopoly On Clubs?

Guest bury masonic

if we are going to start slagging down other non-connected promoters as in a post above then we could be in for a very long thread 

bury masonic, you've let people know whats happened etc

people have posted advice etc,

don't think there's nothing much more to be said ?

maybe an idea to close this now?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Backdrop

IMO I dont think you should have done anything else than what you had done ... ( phone the owner of a large venue and make a booking for a birthday party. and get a yes or no answer  ..that simple).

However I do think that the promoter .. (if he felt he had to enquire) ..should of, could of, done it differently.

First of all he should of been polite .. He could of used it to his advantage ..

As I understand this is a birthday party whereby alot of "soulies" would be attending . a lot of these attendies are all in reasonable driving distance from the venue and I imagine most of them will be attending this venue for the first time..   If I were to go to a nice large venue and liked it  and then heard that they have a regulier soul night held there  ..I would certainly check it out.

So he could of asked you if you would give it a mention .. he could of even asked you if he may put a few flyers at the door.

Its a pity that some people approach it differently   .. 

Hope you find a suitable venue .. and have a great day/night

Social source share

I am absolutely appalled that you have been treated in the way that you have by the promoter he has no right whatsoever to question you directly what your intentions are with regard to the request for a booking to host a party, if he was concerned he should have had discussions with the owner of the Box , and the owner could have had a reasonable discussion with you and highlighted to the prompter that it was in fact a one off  and that nobody was trying to pinch his cash cow. 

I am really quite angry at Vinny and so glad I have not accepted his friend request , this is outright BULLYING ! and it should be stamped out ! and I will tell him to his face like others should to bloody well lay off and do one as we say in Manchester :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've been running soul nights at the Keir Hardie Hall in Norwich for several years, it's known as being my venue and I've basically kept the club afloat with huge bar takings and raising funds for their new roof. Someone unknown has come in and booked a Northern night there on New Years Eve - yes - I'm pissed off but have simply booked a room round the corner for the same night!! 

Get in there!!

Mark C :thumbsup:

Edited by professorturnups
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I've been running soul nights at the Keir Hardie Hall in Norwich for several years, it's known as being my venue and I've basically kept the club afloat with huge bar takings and raising funds for their new roof. Someone unknown has come in and booked a Northern night there on New Years Eve - yes - I'm pissed off but have simply booked a room round the corner for the same night!! 

Get in there!!

In the immortal words of Fred Pontin....."Book early".  You might try telling the Keir Hardie Hall management it's "your venue".  They obviously didn't realise.

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

if we are going to start slagging down other non-connected promoters as in a post above then we could be in for a very long thread  bury masonic, you've let people know whats happened etcpeople have posted advice etc,don't think there's nothing much more to be said ? maybe an idea to close this now?

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

I would like a chance to respond to some of the points raised but Im working right now so please leave on a bit longer Mike

Social source share

Northern Soul swingers party (don't forget the invite).

providing you are not breaking the venues licensing agreement then it is no one else's business , As long as there are no issues with gambling etc that the venue would get into trouble for then its fine but knowing my luck I'd get a woman with bad tattoo's wearing circle skirt covered in patches that likes ruby andrews with a collection of tunes worse than mine

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get in there!!

No one wins though - I feel for ya mate :wink: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Thanks for keeping this open Mike - for us simple punters it's a very interesting thread.

There's stuff that goes on behind the scenes that we're totally unaware of and it certainly gives an insight into how defensive northern promoters are about 'their' venues.

Maybe rightly so (but not in this case!) if they're always on the verge of losing out to disco nights etc.

Makes a nice change from 'look at this idiot dancing at Blackpool' topics.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest kev such

Just book the venue if you want to mate. Our phone conversation was very enlightening today.

Venue's are for hire to hold weddings, christenings and birthdays etc..... for a "promoter" of a regular event to demand that you include them ( or you cant use it ) in YOUR celebration line up is nothing short of unbelievable. Wether you "hire" the venue for a Thunderbirds themed night, a favourite pantomine character themed night or a Northern Soul night for a PRIVATE  INVITE ONLY BIRTHDAY Party is no-ones else's business but yours alone.

Regards to Our Sheila.

Kev and Karen

P.S.  Karen told me to F*** O** when I told her you were 60. :ohmy:

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Thanks for keeping this open Mike - for us simple punters it's a very interesting thread.

There's stuff that goes on behind the scenes that we're totally unaware of and it certainly gives an insight into how defensive northern promoters are about 'their' venues.

Maybe rightly so (but not in this case!) if they're always on the verge of losing out to disco nights etc.

Makes a nice change from 'look at this idiot dancing at Blackpool' topics.

Well said mate. I'm also finding it interesting - This threads situation is purely and simply someone wanting to hire a venue to celebrate their Birthdays (Happy Birthday btw) which it seems, unfortunately resulted in confrontation when a nice chat would have sorted it.

Putting the Birthday Party situation to one side for a moment (and to streeeetch the thread out as long as humanly possible) :wink: - looking back over a number of years, no one would dream of approaching a venue to hold a Soul event that was already being used for that reason by somebody else - That person has the Soul events covered there.

'Defensive' is the correct word, as in to defend the event by 'batting off' anything that would effect it - this especially includes someone else putting on another event because doing so  'muddies the water', and worse could confuse the punters when they are not the same 'product' (Worries being that this second person's event could put people off going back to the first persons event) That 'defence' was never needed a few years ago - there was a lot more communication between promoters about dates - Nowadays, there's a lot more promoters, and less communication (or burying ones head in the sand!) :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

well folks i feel as i need to reply as with due respect there are always TWO SIDES to a story so here goes... on sat night i was at the box trying to sort a few more dates out and doing a wedding as a favour for the owner!! then when the bar manager said to me there are some people who want a northern soul night at the box for for a birthday party and 300 to 400 people!and wanted djs... i asked who and he gave me a name shiela barnett and tel no and was told to ring, so i rang  and shiela answered by the way i dont know sheila or derek barnett at all or ever have seen them at all!                  i explained i was vinny one of the promoters at the box and offered her the venue and to supply the djs as i thought correct   ... i was abruptly stopped by her saying we have our own djs and are fussy about using other djs which perplexed me a bit but in no way was i rude whatsoever i was then told that they were promoters or had been and used to run bury masonic and that her husband was a dj too ...thats when i though hey ho here we go! ...     i then said to sheila that it would have been common courtesy as promoters/djs to ask the said current promoter/s first as we have built this venue out of nothing with a lot of hard work to make it one of the uks popular venues along with the best of the best in our  opinion and by fellow uk promoters and djs alike but most importantly by most  of our followers! and not for some other PROMOTER to MUSCLE in with there DJs and advertise THE BOX for there own ends and for us to have no say in it...I DONT THINK SO!!  DONT I/WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS ISSUE AND PROTECT OUR VENUE AS PROMOTERS ffs... then sheila  said to me are you serious why should we ask you i said again you dont ! it just would have been nice if you did! then they said that they were going to do a charity event when i asked what it was for i was told to mind my own buisness as it didnt have anything to do with me fair enough i thought ...so i told her sheila or derek i cant remember which one AS I WAS SO WOUND UP to do one which on  looking back i perhaps shouldnt have :g: , i then ended the call there and then ten minutes later i looked at my phone and had a miss call off the same number i quickly put an abba mix on at the wedding :yes: and went outside i rang back and her husband derek i assume answered he informed me that it was going ahead and that he was coming to view the venue on the morrow sunday i told him it wasnt going to happen as i was angry how they went about things and being promoters themselves and on here too on ss they knew in my opinion that we put soul events on at the box as they have been advertised for over 2 years ... then i recieved a text saying i was abnoxious and that a load of there friends would be boycotting the box  that me and our cronie djs only wanted to dj there lol that was when enough was enough and i showed the text messeges to the owner who decided to not let them have it as i and my co promoters who i informed were not happy as well... now here comes the sting in the tale ... sheila still claims on here that she and derek didnt know about the box and who ran it... OH BUT YOU DID SHEILA AND DEREK BECAUSE YOU ASKED A FRIEND OF OURS LAST WEEK WHO IS A CO PROMOTER/DJ WHO RUNS A WELL ESTABLISHED EVENT IN MANCHESTER...YOU ASKED HIM DID HE KNOW OF ANY VENUES BETWEEN SHREWSBURY AND MANCHESTER AND HE TOLD YOU ABOUT THE BOX WHERE HE DEEJAYD FOR US ON OUR LAST SOUL SESSION..HE TOLD YOU TO ASK VINNY AND JEZ THEY WILL SORT YOU OUT!! HE TOLD ME THIS MORNING ON THE PHONE SO IF YOU WANT TO CALL HIM A LIAR PLEASE DO YOU KNOW WHO HE IS I WONT NAME HIM HOPEFULLY HE WILL COME ON HERE AND TELL THE TRUTH AS I KNOW THEY WILL BE READING THIS !

my parting shot to you both is thankyou for publicly slating me when all i tried to do as any other promoter would do with BALLS was not let you have our venue by trying to bypass us and your attitude and i hope those that know the real true facts  will reply on here and tell you the same!! and for the record if you are still struggling for a venue please feel free to ring me and ask me/us in the  correct manner and i will do all i can to make it happen for your birthday parties and charity event whether we dj or not and whatever you choose to do good luck with your event best vince

Social source share

Gonna stick my nose in now. Whatever issues somebody has dont post it on a public forum

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

well folks i feel as i need to reply as with due respect there are always TWO SIDES to a story so here goes... on sat night i was at the box trying to sort a few more dates out and doing a wedding as a favour for the owner!! then when the bar manager said to me there are some people who want a northern soul night at the box for for a birthday party and 300 people!and wanted djs... i asked who and he gave me a name shiela barnett and tel no and was told to ring, so i rang this no and shiela answered by the way i dont know sheila or derek barnett at all or ever have seen them! i explained i was one of the promoters!! at the box and offered her the venue and to supply the djs as i thought correct   ... i was abruptly stopped by her saying we have our own djs and are fussy about using other djs which perplexed me a bit but in no way was i rude whatsoever i was then told that they were promoters or had been and used to run bury masonic ...thats when i though hey ho here we go! lol i then said to sheila that it would have been common courtesy to ask the said promoter/s first as we have built this venue out of nothing with a lot of hard work to make it one of the uks popular venues along with the best of the best not my opinion but most of our followers and not for some other PROMOTER to MUSCLE in and advertise wh DONT I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS ISSUE then  said they were going to do a charity event when i asked  

Just out of curiosity how long have you been promoting at the Box ? Hope you don't mind me being nosey ;-)

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Guest bury masonic

well folks i feel as i need to reply as with due respect there are always TWO SIDES to a story so here goes... on sat night i was at the box trying to sort a few more dates out and doing a wedding as a favour for the owner!! then when the bar manager said to me there are some people who want a northern soul night at the box for for a birthday party and 300 people!and wanted djs... i asked who and he gave me a name shiela barnett and tel no and was told to ring, so i rang this no and shiela answered by the way i dont know sheila or derek barnett at all or ever have seen them! i explained i was one of the promoters!! at the box and offered her the venue and to supply the djs as i thought correct   ... i was abruptly stopped by her saying we have our own djs and are fussy about using other djs which perplexed me a bit but in no way was i rude whatsoever i was then told that they were promoters or had been and used to run bury masonic ...thats when i though hey ho here we go! lol i then said to sheila that it would have been common courtesy to ask the said promoter/s first as we have built this venue out of nothing with a lot of hard work to make it one of the uks popular venues along with the best of the best not my opinion but most of our followers and not for some other PROMOTER to MUSCLE in and advertise wh DONT I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS ISSUE then  said they were ME?going to do a charity event when i asked  

EXCUSE ME? firstly, we DID NOT want a soul night, as I have explained numerous times, & we certainly didnt ask for djs! why would we? as for offering us the venue!!! I think you  have your phone calls confused! at no point did you say that, & I am not in the habit of telling lies on ss! as for being fussy about djs, as I explained, we have lots of friends who    would dj for our PRIVATE BIRTHDAY PARTY! and for the record, we have not run a club for over a year, & dont have the slightest interest in running a venue 60 odd miles away.And we were going to ask for donations in lieu of presents for the PROSTATE CANCER CHARITY for your information. Our enquiry to the club has ABSOLUTELY nothing whatsoever to do with you, just because you run a few soul nights there, doesnt give you carte' blanche to interfere & make assumptions! All I wanted to do was find a club to put a PRIVATE BIRTHDAY PARTY on for Dereck & Dex, & YOU have put a real dampener on it, We didnt know you from Adam before, but trust me, we know A LOT more about you now!

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

Gonna stick my nose in now. Whatever issues somebody has dont post it on a public forum

I beg your pardon? are you a moderator? if not do not tell me what forum I can write  on! if you note the number of replies we have had, you can see people are interested in this topic

Social source share

I would be tempted to turn the story over to the local newspaper Sheila you may find you get other venues offer help in hosting the birthday celebrations and most noble of all in raising monies for a good cause that aren't intimidated by bullying tactics. Perhaps include a Crewe charity in the proceeds and get a local councillor involved in handing over the proceeds... Venues will be falling over themselves trying to help you.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I beg your pardon? are you a moderator? if not do not tell me what forum I can write  on! if you note the number of replies we have had, you can see people are interested in this topic

I think you find i didnt mention anybodys names so calm ya sen down a bit.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Just out of curiosity how long have you been promoting at the Box ? Hope you don't mind me being nosey ;-)

over 2 years

Social source share

I would be tempted to turn the story over to the local newspaper Sheila you may find you get other venues offer help in hosting the birthday celebrations and most noble of all in raising monies for a good cause that aren't intimidated by bullying tactics. Perhaps include a Crewe charity in the proceeds and get a local councillor involved in handing over the proceeds... Venues will be falling over themselves trying to help you.

they are not bulling tacticts at all carmen whatever issues you have with me as they are so obviouse for all to see i would like to know please as i dont know you and you dont know me theres a courtesy and proper way  of trying to get a venue for whatever reason especially when your promoters when someones already in it ask nige or better still kr he will tell you

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

well folks i feel as i need to reply as with due respect there are always TWO SIDES to a story so here goes... on sat night i was at the box trying to sort a few more dates out and doing a wedding as a favour for the owner!! then when the bar manager said to me there are some people who want a northern soul night at the box for for a birthday party and 300 to 400 people!and wanted djs... i asked who and he gave me a name shiela barnett and tel no and was told to ring, so i rang  and shiela answered by the way i dont know sheila or derek barnett at all or ever have seen them at all!                  i explained i was vinny one of the promoters at the box and offered her the venue and to supply the djs as i thought correct   ... i was abruptly stopped by her saying we have our own djs and are fussy about using other djs which perplexed me a bit but in no way was i rude whatsoever i was then told that they were promoters or had been and used to run bury masonic and that her husband was a dj too ...thats when i though hey ho here we go! ...     i then said to sheila that it would have been common courtesy as promoters/djs to ask the said current promoter/s first as we have built this venue out of nothing with a lot of hard work to make it one of the uks popular venues along with the best of the best in our  opinion and by fellow uk promoters and djs alike but most importantly by most  of our followers! and not for some other PROMOTER to MUSCLE in with there DJs and advertise THE BOX for there own ends and for us to have no say in it...I DONT THINK SO!!  DONT I/WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS ISSUE AND PROTECT OUR VENUE AS PROMOTERS ffs... then sheila  said to me are you serious why should we ask you i said again you dont ! it just would have been nice if you did! then they said that they were going to do a charity event when i asked what it was for i was told to mind my own buisness as it didnt have anything to do with me fair enough i thought ...so i told her sheila or derek i cant remember which one AS I WAS SO WOUND UP to do one which on  looking back i perhaps shouldnt have :g: , i then ended the call there and then ten minutes later i looked at my phone and had a miss call off the same number i quickly put an abba mix on at the wedding :yes: and went outside i rang back and her husband derek i assume answered he informed me that it was going ahead and that he was coming to view the venue on the morrow sunday i told him it wasnt going to happen as i was angry how they went about things and being promoters themselves and on here too on ss they knew in my opinion that we put soul events on at the box as they have been advertised for over 2 years ... then i recieved a text saying i was abnoxious and that a load of there friends would be boycotting the box  that me and our cronie djs only wanted to dj there lol that was when enough was enough and i showed the text messeges to the owner who decided to not let them have it as i and my co promoters who i informed were not happy as well... now here comes the sting in the tale ... sheila still claims on here that she and derek didnt know about the box and who ran it... OH BUT YOU DID SHEILA AND DEREK BECAUSE YOU ASKED A FRIEND OF OURS LAST WEEK WHO IS A CO PROMOTER/DJ WHO RUNS A WELL ESTABLISHED EVENT IN MANCHESTER...YOU ASKED HIM DID HE KNOW OF ANY VENUES BETWEEN SHREWSBURY AND MANCHESTER AND HE TOLD YOU ABOUT THE BOX WHERE HE DEEJAYD FOR US ON OUR LAST SOUL SESSION..HE TOLD YOU TO ASK VINNY AND JEZ THEY WILL SORT YOU OUT!! HE TOLD ME THIS MORNING ON THE PHONE SO IF YOU WANT TO CALL HIM A LIAR PLEASE DO YOU KNOW WHO HE IS I WONT NAME HIM HOPEFULLY HE WILL COME ON HERE AND TELL THE TRUTH AS I KNOW THEY WILL BE READING THIS !

my parting shot to you both is thankyou for publicly slating me when all i tried to do as any other promoter would do with BALLS was not let you have our venue by trying to bypass us and your attitude and i hope those that know the real true facts  will reply on here and tell you the same!! and for the record if you are still struggling for a venue please feel free to ring me and ask me/us in the  correct manner and i will do all i can to make it happen for your birthday parties and charity event whether we dj or not and whatever you choose to do good luck with your event best vince

do you make a habit of lying? AFTER I saw the box online while looking for venues I looked at the photos like you would, then phoned Theresa to ask if it was suitable she wasnt sure & asked us to phone Andy, BUT WE DIDNT! then we went ahead & decided to book it off our own backs,our opinion of you hasnt changed, so dont even

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

do you make a habit of lying? AFTER I saw the box online while looking for venues I looked at the photos like you would, then phoned Theresa to ask if it was suitable she wasnt sure & asked us to phone Andy, BUT WE DIDNT! then we went ahead & decided to book it off our own backs,our opinion of you hasnt changed, so dont even

bother replying! as for saying we told people to boycott the box.....? i dont know what to say. so I WONT BOTHER

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

bother replying! as for saying we told people to boycott the box.....? i dont know what to say. so I WONT BOTHER

our laptop is playing up tonight, so if our replies seem a bit odd, its because only half the msgs are coming thru , then the rest follow! apologies!

Social source share

Vinny I know who I believe in this situation people that I have known for a few years and most of all respect and trust. As I said before you should not have approached them if you had an issue or a concern about loss of business you should have gone to the owner, these people don't owe you anything ... End of discussion

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Vinny I know who I believe in this situation people that I have known for a few years and most of all respect and trust. As I said before you should not have approached them if you had an issue or a concern about loss of business you should have gone to the owner, these people don't owe you anything ... End of discussion

read my reply very carefully carmen whether you know them well or not does not concern  me but you dont know me neither so dont judge me!! 

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

Thanks Carms, its really all so unnecessary, as Ian said, we should just go to Macdonalds! Im getting stressed out with it all!x

Social source share

read my reply very carefully carmen whether you know them well or not does not concern  me but you dont know me neither so dont judge me!! 

and for the record it had nothing to do with loss of monies no monies were ever mentioned  

Social source share

Just go elsewhere Sheila reading the response posts speaks volumes leave them to it it's not worth time and effort trying to reason with such people ,wash your hands of it ,your points been made and the promoter had his say people will judge for themselves based on the written replies. In my view it's best to close Pandoras box.Hope another venue helps you out in the area...if not do it Manchester and put your friend up in a nice hotel.

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

we would just like to thank everyone who took the time to reply to us, & for all the comments! Vince has contacted us, to sort things out, so we now consider the matter closed

Social source share

and on that final post, well call it a day on this thread....

------------------------------------------

site note

after reported concerns by a member - posts on this thread have been removed/edited as per the terms of use -mike

• Helpful 3
Social source share