Ian Levine Soul Pack's

niknak

1 minute ago, guest said:

And also on a more serious note Pete - is that after unfortunate . life threatening  health issues I'm sure his doctor / hospital consultant would have told him to take it very easy . Probably not a good idea to get involved with 1 ton parcels of 45's , soul packing them and attributed stress that comes with it - even without this whole episode . As they say 'your health is your wealth' - so listen to the professionals [not the Detroit ones :D]

He can't physically pack them, he can only use one arm, so someone does it for him

• Helpful 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Pete S said:

Without wising to state the blindingly obvious - Ian, why on earth didn't you check the bloody records before you posted them to weed out any scratched or broken ones, you shouldn't be sending out broken records in the first place.

Ian actually says "in case" any were cracked so he didn't know one way or the other. I doubt that many soul packs, especially those containing 1000, are rigorously condition checked, regardless of the dealer selling them. Most of these records will have sat in warehouses for years and never have been out of their sleeves let alone played. 

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just now, Kegsy said:

Ian actually says "in case" any were cracked so he didn't know one way or the other. I doubt that many soul packs, especially those containing 1000, are rigorously condition checked, regardless of the dealer selling them. Most of these records will have sat in warehouses for years and never have been out of there sleeves let alone played. 

I always check mine and don't put in anything under VG - I only do them in 50's and 100's though when I do them

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Pete S said:

I always check mine and don't put in anything under VG - I only do them in 50's and 100's though when I do them

But do your records come from bulk purchases of what are effectively unsold, unplayed records that have never seen the light of day?.  I used to buy in bulk from old man Bostock when he got fed up of the market stall, virtually every record that came out of that warehouse was mint. I think its a fair assumption that such records ought to be in decent condition, without having to check every last one of them. 

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Ian actually says "in case" any were cracked so he didn't know one way or the other. I doubt that many soul packs, especially those containing 1000, are rigorously condition checked, regardless of the dealer selling them. Most of these records will have sat in warehouses for years and never have been out of their sleeves let alone played.

Sat on shelves for years is no excuse for unplayable goods. The whole point of record buying is to play them,not to have to weed throught them.

Soul Pack = any old sh*te.?

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

But do your records come from bulk purchases of what are effectively unsold, unplayed records that have never seen the light of day?.  I used to buy in bulk from old man Bostock when he got fed up of the market stall, virtually every record that came out of that warehouse was mint. I think its a fair assumption that such records ought to be in decent condition, without having to check every last one of them. 

No, mine or just things I don't want or can't use usually from old collections

Social source share

8 minutes ago, KevH said:

Sat on shelves for years is no excuse for unplayable goods. The whole point of record buying is to play them,not to have to weed throught them.

Soul Pack = any old sh*te.?

I didn't say it was and I'm not defending the sending of substandard items. My point is that if these records have just been stuck in a warehouse and never touched, its a fair assumption that they will be in decent nick. How would they get damaged/scratched if they have never been out of their sleeves. The last time I looked records were not perishable.

4 minutes ago, Pete S said:

No, mine or just things I don't want or can't use usually from old collections

Exactly so they have been played/used etc. so you are right to check every one.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Kegsy said:

I didn't say it was and I'm not defending the sending of substandard items. My point is that if these records have just been stuck in a warehouse and never touched, its a fair assumption that they will be in decent nick. How would they get damaged/scratched if they have never been out of their sleeves. The last time I looked records were not perishable.

Exactly so they have been played/used etc. so you are right to check every one.

Right see what you mean.Misread part of your post.(never been out of sleeves).It seems obvious that these weren't old store stock,never been played.

Even so,these records sent in the soul pack should have been sifted through,no matter 30 or 300.

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, KevH said:

Right see what you mean.Misread part of your post.(never been out of sleeves).It seems obvious that these weren't old store stock,never been played.

Even so,these records sent in the soul pack should have been sifted through,no matter 30 or 300.

I don't think its obvious at all where these records came from, old store stock or not. One things for sure I don't think Ian has been traipsing round old thrift stores by the dozen picking up whatever was in the boxes. It's obvious he must have 10s of 1000s which would indicate an old distributor's warehouse or the like, and if that's the case most of the records would be mint/unplayed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

I don't think its obvious at all where these records came from, old store stock or not. One things for sure I don't think Ian has been traipsing round old thrift stores by the dozen picking up whatever was in the boxes. It's obvious he must have 10s of 1000s which would indicate an old distributor's warehouse or the like, and if that's the case most of the records would be mint/unplayed.

Chicago and Detroit is awash with lower grade 45s...as are lots of other US Cities......you get sick of seeing battered 45s.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

36 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Or trashed stock as mace said.

Social source share

Just now, Mace said:

In most record shops and record fairs in the last 3 years! It gets tougher to find clean records every trip.

As I said I don't think they are from shops or fairs there is just too large a volume, which would suggest a warehouse.

Social source share

26 minutes ago, Mace said:

In most record shops and record fairs in the last 3 years! It gets tougher to find clean records every trip.

I see crates and crates of them at dealers / record fairs, no sleeves on most of them, scratched to fck. One dealer I know boxes them up and ships them to Europe and Japan, after his regulars have picked through them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

as per the earlier post,this thread is now closed

The reason being...

After splitting the bootlegging posts into a new topic  this topic is to all purposes a discussion about a sales dispute between two people . As seems both have had their say feel the time is right to close the discussion on here

If wish to discuss the bootlegging aspects raised further then you can find moved posts in this thread

• Helpful 3
Social source share