Angry Old Fart 45+ Only

stomper45

• Replies 36
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

the thing that bugs me about the scene...?

the boring young farts criticising the playing of what they term as modern or disco..

when in reality the tunes have been played on the northern scene for well over 30 years..

often before they were born..

8=)

bless

jc

the messiah of northern soul

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

the boring young farts criticising the playing of what they term as modern or disco..

when in reality the tunes have been played on the northern scene for well over 30 years..

8=)

bless

jc

Bloody hell, this is like being bullied down the youth club disco by the older lads who've got bum fluff moustaches.

I suppose its inevitable that many people of the "row the boat dance generation" (ie anyone over 45) will like a bit of disco down the Darby and Joan club tea dance. :thumbsup: But I guess it must be nice to sit down when dancing at your age. :yes:

Surely it must be about time for you to get nailed to a cross?

Social source share

Bloody hell, this is like being bullied down the youth club disco by the older lads who've got bum fluff moustaches.

I suppose its inevitable that many people of the "row the boat dance generation" (ie anyone over 45) will like a bit of disco down the Darby and Joan club tea dance. :yes: But I guess it must be nice to sit down when dancing at your age. :D

Surely it must be about time for you to get nailed to a cross?

============

That's about 4/5 months away Stu, and he's just going to rise again anyway :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

============

That's about 4/5 months away Stu, and he's just going to rise again anyway :D

Aw, do we have to wait until Easter? Anyhow, as its before Christmas surely he hasn't been born yet, this theology stuff is quite confusing? :yes: Just in case, I'm off for a word with my mate Herod. :thumbsup:

Social source share

8=)

bless

jc

but JC, i can listen to a song in the charts today and still not like it - Irrelevant of how old/new it is - if it's not the kind of style of music i don't like, then i'm gonna switch off arn't i? I might even say, "oh turn this shite off - i hate this type of music; it's crap" etc etc.

i'm gonna regret this but what the hell - in with both feet - they are disco tunes m8. yes im young(ish); yes, i must be a boring young(ish) fart then!

BUT, just because i might call them disco tunes, doesn't mean i won't get up and dance to them - it's just that i class them (in my own head) as disco tunes is all. they have that certain tell-tale disco beat me thinks.

nuff said - now stop draggin me into these debates - pleeeeese! :thumbsup:

wAvy

Edited by wAvy
Social source share

my dear wAvy..

but a lot of the tunes were recorded and played before the days of disco..

therefore its difficult to term them disco..

bless you my child

8=)

bless jc/tom paddison

Social source share

my dear wAvy..

bless you my child

8=)

bless jc/tom paddison

Ok been bitting my lip on this one, but couldn't help myself :thumbsup:

a few facts, Disco has been around since the mid seventys in america, like this scene today you have an underground movement and a more comercial side, many of the mid-late seventys records played on this scene today are infact disco records sung by soul artists, if we go back a decade alot of people 'claim' that every one was trying to recreate the motown sound, in the seventys it was the disco sound, you have the more obsucre disco sounds and the more comercial sounds, disco is not a bad word its a word that discribes a genre (one that i dont particualy acustom too but thats irrelivent) just because its disco dont mean it cant be soulful, im not keen on it but there you go. hell people always say about some R&B being R&R or C&W or clip clop music, i happen to like all them records but you dont see me slating every one because they call it that, because i know they are that!

Its like if some one calls a 'soul' record disco its going against the grain, its not its the natural progression of black music in america.

Social source share

my dear wAvy..

bless you my child

8=)

bless jc/tom paddison

ty JC - i indeed feel quite blessed now :yes:

but all i can say to that is if they were recorded and played 'before the days of disco' then these tunes must of started off the disco movement and hence 'disco' was born! :D

Ok been bitting my lip on this one, but couldn't help myself :(

a few facts, Disco has been around since the mid seventys in america, like this scene today you have an underground movement and a more comercial side, many of the mid-late seventys records played on this scene today are infact disco records sung by soul artists, if we go back a decade alot of people 'claim' that every one was trying to recreate the motown sound, in the seventys it was the disco sound, you have the more obsucre disco sounds and the more comercial sounds, disco is not a bad word its a word that discribes a genre (one that i dont particualy acustom too but thats irrelivent) just because its disco dont mean it cant be soulful, im not keen on it but there you go. hell people always say about some R&B being R&R or C&W or clip clop music, i happen to like all them records but you dont see me slating every one because they call it that, because i know they are that!

Its like if some one calls a 'soul' record disco its going against the grain, its not, its the natural progression of black music in america.

i quite agree with you there Baz - with the majority of what you said anyway.

wAvy :thumbsup:

Social source share

i really hate people who talk endlessly to me about the wonders of rock n roll oops i mean R&B....like they are gonna convert me :D ....its a bit like being caught by the jehovahs witnesses when you are up a ladder cutting your hedge ( yes it really happened to me :thumbsup: ).....

cookie :yes:

Social source share

but JC, i can listen to a song in the charts today and still not like it - Irrelevant of how old/new it is - if it's not the kind of style of music i don't like, then i'm gonna switch off arn't i? I might even say, "oh turn this shite off - i hate this type of music; it's crap" etc etc.

wAvy

Does this mean you turn off the stuff you like? :(

i really hate people who talk endlessly to me about the wonders of rock n roll oops i mean R&B....like they are gonna convert me :lol: ....its a bit like being caught by the jehovahs witnesses when you are up a ladder cutting your hedge ( yes it really happened to me :thumbsup: ).....

cookie :D

Get your own back on Jehovah's Witnesses, find out where they live and go carol singing this christmas! :yes:
Social source share

i really hate people who talk endlessly to me about the wonders of rock n roll oops i mean R&B....like they are gonna convert me :( ....its a bit like being caught by the jehovahs witnesses when you are up a ladder cutting your hedge ( yes it really happened to me :thumbsup: ).....

cookie :yes:

Cookie,

I thought you played R&B.

Kind Regards,Kev :D

Social source share

but all i can say to that is if they were recorded and played 'before the days of disco' then these tunes must of started off the disco movement and hence 'disco' was born! :D

Baz,before Disco wasn't everybody "Going to a Go-Go"?

Bernard.

i quite agree with you there Baz - with the majority of what you said anyway.

wAvy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

my dear wAvy..

That'd be proto-disco then. The seed of satan as opposed to his spawn.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

That'd be proto-disco then. The seed of satan as opposed to his spawn.

So what is considered to be the FIRST example of 'disco'....or would that be a different thread...or have we have it already...i'll get my coat
:thumbsup:
Jo

Social source share

Does this mean you turn off the stuff you like? :huh:

no, Supercorsa because if you read that sentence again, and i quote myself: -

if it's not the kind of style of music i don't like, then i'm gonna switch off arn't i?

but - ok, you got me there man! blush.gif i know what i mean - your just twisting my words now! :ohmy::D

ok then, if it's not the kind of style of music i like, then i'm gonna switch off arn't i?

is that better dear?! :P

QUOTE(wAvy @ Nov 23 2006, 12:17 PM) post_snapback.gif

but all i can say to that is if they were recorded and played 'before the days of disco' then these tunes must of started off the disco movement and hence 'disco' was born! wink.gif

Baz,before Disco wasn't everybody "Going to a Go-Go"?

Bernard.

and my dear Northern Moor Soul, you have quoted me but referred to Baz as saying it!

btw, what is a go-go?! :huh:

wAvy

Social source share

Cookie,

I thought you played R&B.

Kind Regards,Kev :huh:

oh my god i sooooooooooo dont....i might play proper R&B ( as in the soulful variety ) but only if its a request...cant stick all this popcorn rubbish and rock and roll...but hey ho each to their own eh whistling.gif

back soon ..just off carol singing at the nearest jehovahs witness house...........

cookie :ohmy:

Social source share

Im only 38 but feel i should have a shout, as this is the type of thread that really annoys me most.

do you realise you are discriminating against the youth of today you naughty old man :ohmy:

yours sincerely

young Bearsy laugh.gif

Social source share

i'm gonna regret this but what the hell - in with both feet - they are disco tunes m8. yes im young(ish); yes, i must be a boring young(ish) fart then!

BUT, just because i might call them disco tunes, doesn't mean i won't get up and dance to them - it's just that i class them (in my own head) as disco tunes is all. they have that certain tell-tale disco beat me thinks.

nuff said - now stop draggin me into these debates - pleeeeese! :huh:

wAvy

:ohmy:

what exactly is disco, what is a disco beat? give us the benifit of your knowledge of disco and please explain wicked.gif

Social source share

Ok been bitting my lip on this one, but couldn't help myself biggrin.gif

Its like if some one calls a 'soul' record disco its going against the grain, its not its the natural progression of black music in america.

#disco ben around since thew early 70's Baz it was the mid 70's in took off. It's roots come from Soul and Funk but most the records played on Northern scene that you lot call disco have nothing to do with disco, they are soul records recorded in the 70's. Disco different altogether.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

not sure if anything would get on my nerves apart from old people on the scene who can't stand young people who get into Northern soul. I am sure there are people out there who look at me or think oh man have you see this young chap he's a prick and wish we didn't get young people on the scene.

But as friend Nigel also a dj said here to me once great t-shirt and it's good that you can get on the scene and support it we need more young people out there like you and now i am happy that i can attend and will get people who say hello and talk to you and just respect you.

Social source share

....its a bit like being caught by the jehovahs witnesses when you are up a ladder cutting your hedge ( yes it really happened to me :thumbsup: ).....

cookie :)

theres nothing worse than having the jehovahs witnessing you trimming your bush

you may joke but some people on here will remember i actually broke my arm by falling off the ladder whilst trimming my bush :huh:

cookie :)

Social source share

Im only 38 but feel i should have a shout, as this is the type of thread that really annoys me most.

do you realise you are discriminating against the youth of today you naughty old man :D

yours sincerely

young Bearsy :thumbsup:

This place is full er Kids :huh::):)

Bazza

Social source share

Its like a Discotheque, I believe, where young people go to dance, take drugs and have illict sexual liaisons. :D

so you got any addresses of any?! :)wink.gif

:)

what exactly is disco, what is a disco beat? give us the benifit of your knowledge of disco and please explain :huh:

what, you mean at the age of 40 you still don't know?! drooling1.gif yawn yourself dude!

but ok, if i have to explain again - the bass beat is more prominent in the song, than say an earlier, 'rawer' song of the 60's. the tunes are more 'danceable' and probably came about (evoloved) from great performers such as Stevie Wonder.

i can't elaborate any more than that i'm afraid but that is what i define as 'a disco' sound - very danceable/funky bassbeat sound to it. as i said, doesn't mean i won't get up and dance to them tunes, but i myself think that when i hear em, it takes me back to when i was wearing different coloured flourescent socks (fashion thing - early 80's).

ok? :thumbsup:

wAvy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert