Mello Souls - We Can Make It - Legit Vinyl Release?

macca

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Roccia

as this sound is out of my price league, just wondered if it has seen a legit uk vinyl release?

macca

Don't think so Macca... Have a word with your bank manager... whistling.gif

Social source share

as this sound is out of my price league, just wondered if it has seen a legit uk vinyl release?

macca

Nope lets keep it that way too, a sad day when the scene gets flooded with the landmark raritys on issue for every tom dick and harry to start playing :thumbsup:

Its records like this that keep the scene going thumbsup.gif

Social source share

macca

Nope lets keep it that way too, a sad day when the scene gets flooded with the landmark raritys on issue for every tom dick and harry to start playing :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Nope lets keep it that way too, a sad day when the scene gets flooded with the landmark raritys on issue for every tom dick and harry to start playing :thumbup:

Not sure I necessarily agree with you there Baz. It's surely one of the things that pushes people on to find even more discoveries?

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think it's a bit weird that noboby's bootlegged this yet. But if they do, I hope they make a better job than that Margaret Little. Shocking sound quality, dubbed straight off a VG disc with a buzz on it, I bet it was taped off decks too

Perhaps they think better of it..........i know if i owned a copy, i would be after bootleggers head yes.gif

Social source share

========

i was thinking about this the other day about joseph webster and when this would be booted!

Social source share

I'm neither tom, dick, nor harry. I'm macca.

the scene will survive, I can assure you, believe me old boy...

macca.

ps - in negotiations with the bank manager should one come along. dream, dream, dream...

Edited by macca
Social source share

I'm neither tom, dick, nor harry. I'm macca.

the scene will survive, I can assure you, believe me old boy...

macca.

ps - in negotiations with the bank manager should one come along. dream, dream, dream...

You know what i mean though, its one of them records that you very rarely get to hear but when you do...........its what its all about IMO, would say if you want to here it get off your arse and get out there......but its a bit hard from spain :thumbsup: plus side good weather, real food, no mello souls sad.gif

Social source share

I think it's a bit weird that noboby's bootlegged this yet. But if they do, I hope they make a better job than that Margaret Little. Shocking sound quality, dubbed straight off a VG disc with a buzz on it, I bet it was taped off decks too

Didn't know about this one Pete!

Social source share

Didn't know about this one Pete!

Yes here it is Gene, and as you can see, a lot of thought went into the label design as well :rolleyes:

I've recorded it off this record, see what you think. Don't get me wrong, I never mind a bit of surface noise but when it's tinny as well...nah. It's not such a great record anyway.

Social source share

Yes here it is Gene, and as you can see, a lot of thought went into the label design as well :rolleyes:

I've recorded it off this record, see what you think. Don't get me wrong, I never mind a bit of surface noise but when it's tinny as well...nah. It's not such a great record anyway.

Thanks mate - I see what you mean about the label design! I'll give it a listen when I get home from work.....

Social source share

I do, I do. & you're right, there's gotta be a down side to living out here & you just cracked it, no mello souls. I was at the london bridge all nighter 8th december, so I do get off my 'culo' from time to time. :D

Glad you arrived safely back "home" mate - great seeing you again in 'Boro.

As for Mello Soul.... I really didn't have to think long and hard about my opinion on this one. Whether it was legally or illegally pressed when and where would I play it? I certainly wouldn't play an illegal one out and my own general opinion regarding legal current day pressings/re-issues, with a handful of original UK exceptions, is that if there's an original US issue/demo then its a no no.

Those who attend events once or twice a year to reminisce can, will and probably have got wind of this amazing sound and if they want to listen/download it can but IMO should go to the venues where the DJ's that own the orig's are playing to feel "soulfully wholesome and complete" :wave::lol:

It's probably my all time favourite track which I have on CD and dub plate. The dub plate's been played at home a couple of times and the cd is there whenever I get the yearning but we all have our own ethics/morals etc.

Social source share

I've got one of those and it is crap (quality) as you say.

If you listen to this clip spkr2.gif it has a different intro - geezer with a deep voice saying "soul" etc. I wonder why this is not on the boot? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Kitch, Butch and Kenny Burrell (he has Shifty's old copy) - those are the only people with the Mello Souls to my knowledge.

Anyone else ?

Hammy

Social source share

Kitch, Butch and Kenny Burrell (he has Shifty's old copy) - those are the only people with the Mello Souls to my knowledge.

Anyone else ?

Hammy

Are these copies all legit or are two of them acetates made from the original acetate if you know what i mean?

Simon

Social source share

Think they're all legit mate. I heard Shifty's copy went for £10k!

Interesting, so are these three copies all acetates or are any of them actual issues?

Simon

Social source share

Interesting, so are these three copies all acetates or are any of them actual issues?

Simon

Dunno about issues. We have discussed this before on here in detail. Think Hippo was the man in the know about that sort of thing.

Will have a little search, but won't hold my breath as was quite a time ago.

Social source share

Anyone else ?

Hammy

Dean has butches copy now i think......at least i know Dean has got one

Social source share

Dean has butches copy now i think......at least i know Dean has got one

Blimey! this is getting confusing, it's all getting a bit Frank Wilson.

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

have we had a thread on common as muck uk general releases & dog rare US issues/promos? if the mello souls jobbie only saw light as an acetate, then surely the silent majority deserves a digitally remastered/laquered 48 track stereo remix with cow bells on it. come on, admit I'm right...

macca

Social source share

What I have in my posession is a pretty battered single sided "Dick Clark" Acetate of the track which I bought off one of my American contacts whilst in the U.S. about 5 or 6 Years ago, who didn't even know the tune (allegedly) but knew it sounded kinda Northern. Luckily I didn't pay a fantastic amount of dosh for it (about $200) as I am as sceptical about these things as the next Man. Everyone who's seen it is as curious as I am, as it looks, smells & sounds the business, but there's always an element of doubt about these potential metal "monstrosities" I wouldn't even think about selling the thing, and as a bizarre twist of fate, was offered the rights to the tune a few Months ago, but am equally curious about the ownership rights to that prized item. I have ABSOLUTELY NO plans to even think about putting the tune out, but I bet that it is released in one format or another, within a few Years, mark my words!!

DES PARKER

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

macca

I'm sure that those lovely people at Amnesia Records will 'reissue' it for you if you drop them a line and ask, they seem to be quite legal and above board :lol::D:boxing:

TONE

Social source share

hi when is a bootleg a bootleg when the original owner gives permission to release it i do believe that some of the grapevine releases do not have full rights does this make them bootlegs???i do not think so if they have gone through the correct channels

for me a bootleg is when an individual without permission from the legal authorities (mcps ascap or even the label owner)releases a record....remember the artist unless it was their own label has no right to release a record.

should cause some interest!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

I've got one of those and it is crap (quality) as you say.

If you listen to this clip spkr2.gif it has a different intro - geezer with a deep voice saying "soul" etc. I wonder why this is not on the boot? :wicked:

the geezer was aded by Jazz FM when Richard S played it on his show. As for the "boot", Ron Murphy did them and I'm told by a friend of his that they are fully legit, royalties paid etc.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert