Mikevague

• Replies 59
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

If anyone wants to buy it for close to what it just sold on Ebay for (almost $1600), your welcome to pm me or email mikevague@hotmail.com with your offer...

VG++/M- with "flowers" written in felt marker pen on one side (DJ Grandmaster Flowers copy, legendary B-boy NYC 70's FUNK Dj; Influenced Bambatta and Grandmaster Flash back in the pre hip hop days..), otherwise, stunning w/ company sleeve.

Thank you, Mike excl.gif

Thanks for the strong response, it is officially SOLD now........ :thumbsup:

Social source share

Totally overated record. If this was worth £5 (instead of allegedly being the rarest 45 Polydor records ever released) noone would be fussing over it or even playing it. It's sounds like a standard Curtis cover. Whats all the fuss about?!!! :D

Social source share

i must disagree with those who say it's "average" or a "standard" curtis cover. there's a really startling power to the production and the singing that makes listeners take notice when it's played loud, believe me.

I have heard it played loud in a club. And it just sounded like a loud Curtis cover / production. I think it's price and rarity are what make people pay attention to this record.

Can you honestly say if copies of this were as common as Impressions or Curtis 45s that anyone would really be going on about it? I am not saying it's a bad record. It's just there are plenty of Curtis and Impressions records that far far outweigh it on every front, most of which only cost around a fiver!

Edited by Miles
Social source share

About 343 of the 350 people who went absolutely berzerk when the intro came out of the speakers two weeks ago at a soul club here in my hometown had no idea about how much this record is selling for. It's a good dance tune and sounds great out loud. Reminds me a bit about a weaker "Move On Up" (mostly due to the slightly off-beat singing), but that's a hard tune to top. I like it. Wouldn't pay going rate for a copy though... :rolleyes:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

About 343 of the 350 people who went absolutely berzerk when the intro came out of the speakers two weeks ago at a soul club here in my hometown had no idea about how much this record is selling for. It's a good dance tune and sounds great out loud. Reminds me a bit about a weaker "Move On Up" (mostly due to the slightly off-beat singing), but that's a hard tune to top. I like it. Wouldn't pay going rate for a copy though... :rolleyes:

Agreed and I don't think it has been mentioned but it's actually written by Curtis and produced by Rich Tufo, congas probably by Master Henry Gibson. Pure "Move on up" feel for me too but moodier and not as high feel good factor.

I remember seeing this in a 5 45's lot on eBay going without bids, I didn't bother because I already had a copy.. Also I reckon this is not one of the rarest Polydor soul 45's, for instance it was pressed at least two times - once one vinyl and once on styrene.

Social source share

Agreed and I don't think it has been mentioned but it's actually written by Curtis and produced by Rich Tufo, congas probably by Master Henry Gibson. Pure "Move on up" feel for me too but moodier and not as high feel good factor.

Master Henry Gibson, now there's a talented fella. I really like this record but I always think of it as a good £50 tune for some reason. Staying with the Curtis / Master Henry Gibson congas and percussion vein, I think Patti Jo's "Ain't no love lost" is as good if not better.

Jordi

Social source share

Master Henry Gibson, now there's a talented fella. I really like this record but I always think of it as a good £50 tune for some reason.

Jordi

The days of this being a £50 record are long gone m8. I thought I bid high on the one on Ebay and I ended up about 5th and nowhere near the top two bidders. This was particularly frustrating as I missed one at Soul Bowl a few months ago at 350, and spent time 18 months ago "haggling" with a famous DJ / dealer, and eventually turned down his bottom line 300 price tag. And last time I spoke to him, Sir Martin of Barnfather didn't have it either. Knowing how tenacious he is at getting records he may well have it now, and if he starts spinning it, based on recent experiences we will surely see the price going up. :P

Social source share

So if it is not that rare and if the general consensus is that 'Move on up' is a better record then why is everyone getting so giddy about it, and why are people so eagerly producing huge rolls of cash out in order to pay for it?

Now I am totally confused!!! :P

Social source share

So if it is not that rare and if the general consensus is that 'Move on up' is a better record then why is everyone getting so giddy about it, and why are people so eagerly producing huge rolls of cash out in order to pay for it?

Now I am totally confused!!! :P

Hehe maybe because "Move on up" defines the word overplayed? I'm for one have heard it too many times to appreciate it. Maybe New World have more subtle qualitites? I have heard that one almost as often and I'm not as tired of it.

Social source share

We're Gonna Make It, Move On Up, Love Me - mayfield medley - various

13856 refosoul

You could easily lump the Impressions - Love Me, Curtis - Move On Up and New World together and pontificate on your personal favourite all day: they've all got strong elements of each other and an obvious writing/performing connection. Personally I love all three though for me there's something that bit extra special in the New World tune - the 'bump' in the rhythm, the percussion running through it, the tempo, the slightly dark feel which differentiates it from Move On Up. Personally I couldn't give a monkey's if someone likes it or not (unless it's a dancefloor, where, whenever I've played it at least, it does the business) and I was more than happy to shell out £50 for it - it's not like it's on every other sales list is it? Compared to styrene demo copies of Mayfield that have sold for that price it doesn't look like a bad deal. That first recent ebay copy was always going to draw out further copies - maybe it'll herald a flood of them and a price crash. Remains to be seen. Anyway, attached should be all three of the above - not bad that Mayfield geezer, eh, nod 'arf! ;-)

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

all of those nice 45's and im my humble but not respected opinion

in order of music and quality not price id go like this

1= curtis "move one up"

2=impressions "love me"

3=new world"were gonna make it"

Social source share

all of those nice 45's and im my humble but not respected opinion

in order of music and quality not price id go like this

1= curtis "move one up"

2=impressions "love me"

3=new world"were gonna make it"

no, I think what you mean is 'in order of personal preference'...

If you can quantify 'music and quality' you've got debate on your hands, otherwise you're stating a preference...which in a way is all anyone can really do.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

it always puzzles me when people feel the need to put records in to some sort of 'order' like this - why does it matter? as jason says the new world never fails to get a reaction and sounds fantastic, which of course 'move on up' does as they are both brilliant records, but it's all about playing something good that isnt so familiar - isn't it? :lol:

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

all fair points boys and yes of course wrighty we all want to play a 45 that hasnt been killed

and so we should be doing that.

just thought i would put what i prefer musically of that bunch that was all

and if i did do a more comprehensive list of curtis stuff that new world would be even lower down

in the pecking order........

Social source share

it always puzzles me when people feel the need to put records in to some sort of 'order' like this - why does it matter? as jason says the new world never fails to get a reaction and sounds fantastic, which of course 'move on up' does as they are both brilliant records, but it's all about playing something good that isnt so familiar - isn't it? :lol:

we all want to play something nice, but surely its a bit double standards ian as dont you recall i sold you

limmie "saturday nights the night" on psycho a few years back

only for you to return it saying "sorry you didnt realise it was british"

thought it was meant to be about the music?

Social source share

Guest wrighty

nice one :unsure: ...but as i recall when i got it through and listened more closely (which to be fair u can't get over the phone) i realised it had that uk production sound which i dont like, nothing to do with the music itself.... :lol:

Social source share

he! he!..lets just say 1-1

and you promised to buy me a pint after i let you return it and i found your pockets

deeper than a james carr 45 !!!!

Social source share

Remember hearing this for the first time on deepfunk radio show, I almost fell of my chair, what an opening, what a track; I just knew I had to have it. (By the way, who was the guest playing it Ian, can't remember?)

Being a mod in the early 80s with "move on up" as one of my favourite tunes, it was refreshing to hear "We're gonna make it". It's not often you'll get a new "discovery" from one of your favourite artists...

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Remember hearing this for the first time on deepfunk radio show, I almost fell of my chair, what an opening, what a track; I just knew I had to have it. (By the way, who was the guest playing it Ian, can't remember?)

Being a mod in the early 80s with "move on up" as one of my favourite tunes, it was refreshing to hear "We're gonna make it". It's not often you'll get a new "discovery" from one of your favourite artists...

think that was simon thompson tommy, he had (typically) wangled a cheap copy out of someone at a record fair :lol:

Social source share

Guest Demotron

I remember seeing this in a 5 45's lot on eBay going without bids, I didn't bother because I already had a copy.. Also I reckon this is not one of the rarest Polydor soul 45's, for instance it was pressed at least two times - once one vinyl and once on styrene.

Karl,

you are correct there was both a vinyl and styrene pressing, but the vinyl version doesn't have "We're gonna make it", only "Help The Man" on both sides.

Social source share

Karl,

you are correct there was both a vinyl and styrene pressing, but the vinyl version doesn't have "We're gonna make it", only "Help The Man" on both sides.

My issue copy is vinyl and so was the one I sold a couple of years ago - and all other ten copies or so I've seen except one that's on styrene and belong to a friend of mine.

Social source share

I still think it's a "buy" (but not at $1,600) or "hold" and will likely grow in demand over the next couple of years.

Demand probably will grow, but there are only oh so many people that can splash $1600 on a 45, so if more copies turns up (and they seem to do) the price will come down.

It's always a good thing when major label 45s that are considered rare turns up on eBay and goes for a stack load of money because more often than not, the high end result smokes out more copies (perhaps due to some owners just not being able to hold on to a 45 if the going rate is THAT high, but also because 45s that people outside the soul collecting scene might never have considered to list now starts to appear).

It'll be interesting to see what the two current copies on eBay will end at.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

HELLO KARL,

GOT TO DISAGREE WITH THIS MY FRIEND. IF THIS IS NOT ONE OF THE RAREST ON THE LABEL, THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS. ITS EASILY AS HARD TO FIND AS MOJOBA,REASON WHY,TYRONE THOMAS ETC.

I RECKON THE ODD ONE OR TWO COPIES WILL TURN UP BUT YOU CAN SAY THAT ABOUT MOST MAJOR LABEL RARITES CANT YOU. I RECKON THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WITH THE OTHER TITLES I`VE MENTIONED IS THAT HAVEN`T SOLD FOR IN THE REGION OF £800 !!!!!!!!!!!

IF THEY DO, THEN THEY`LL START TO SHOW UP TOO AS PEOPLE LET THEM GO FROM COLLECTIONS.

ALSO, THIS THING ABOUT BEING PRESSED TWICE. I KNOW IT EXISTS IN BOTH VINYL AND STYRENE FORMATS BUT SURELY THIS IS LIKE AN EAST AND WEST COAST DIFFERENT PRESSING SITUATION DUE TO THE SIZE OF THE STATES. TECHNICALLY TWO PRESSINGS ,YES, BUT ITS NOT LIKE ITS BEEN PRESSED AGAIN DUE TO SALES OR EXTRA DEMAND DUE TO BEING A HIT.I THINK THE DIFFERENT FORMATS ARE JUST DUE TO THAT.........

ITS ALSO POSSIBLE THAT UNSOLD STOCK OF THESE DIFFERENT RELEASES WERE SENT BACK TO BE MELTED DOWN FOR THE NEXT JAMES BROWN RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATS JUST ME PLAYING DEVILS ADVOCATE BY THE WAY !! DONT KNOW IF POLYDOR OPERATED THIS POLICY BUT I WAS RELIABLY INFORMED YEARS AGO THAT CERTAIN LABELS DID THIS.

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM ?

ANYWAY, I LIKE IT AND I RECKON ITS GOT A LOT OF MILEAGE LEFT BECAUSE BASICALLY, THE MAJORITY OF THE SCENE STILL DONT KNOW IT. AS SOON AS THE BIG NAME JOCKS START HAMMERING IT, IT`LL CATCH ON .

WONT IT ?????????????? :thumbsup:

BEST, IVOR

Social source share

HELLO KARL,

GOT TO DISAGREE WITH THIS MY FRIEND. IF THIS IS NOT ONE OF THE RAREST ON THE LABEL, THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS. ITS EASILY AS HARD TO FIND AS MOJOBA,REASON WHY,TYRONE THOMAS ETC.

I RECKON THE ODD ONE OR TWO COPIES WILL TURN UP BUT YOU CAN SAY THAT ABOUT MOST MAJOR LABEL RARITES CANT YOU. I RECKON THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WITH THE OTHER TITLES I`VE MENTIONED IS THAT HAVEN`T SOLD FOR IN THE REGION OF £800 !!!!!!!!!!!

IF THEY DO, THEN THEY`LL START TO SHOW UP TOO AS PEOPLE LET THEM GO FROM COLLECTIONS.

ALSO, THIS THING ABOUT BEING PRESSED TWICE. I KNOW IT EXISTS IN BOTH VINYL AND STYRENE FORMATS BUT SURELY THIS IS LIKE AN EAST AND WEST COAST DIFFERENT PRESSING SITUATION DUE TO THE SIZE OF THE STATES. TECHNICALLY TWO PRESSINGS ,YES, BUT ITS NOT LIKE ITS BEEN PRESSED AGAIN DUE TO SALES OR EXTRA DEMAND DUE TO BEING A HIT.I THINK THE DIFFERENT FORMATS ARE JUST DUE TO THAT.........

ITS ALSO POSSIBLE THAT UNSOLD STOCK OF THESE DIFFERENT RELEASES WERE SENT BACK TO BE MELTED DOWN FOR THE NEXT JAMES BROWN RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATS JUST ME PLAYING DEVILS ADVOCATE BY THE WAY !! DONT KNOW IF POLYDOR OPERATED THIS POLICY BUT I WAS RELIABLY INFORMED YEARS AGO THAT CERTAIN LABELS DID THIS.

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM ?

ANYWAY, I LIKE IT AND I RECKON ITS GOT A LOT OF MILEAGE LEFT BECAUSE BASICALLY, THE MAJORITY OF THE SCENE STILL DONT KNOW IT. AS SOON AS THE BIG NAME JOCKS START HAMMERING IT, IT`LL CATCH ON .

WONT IT ?????????????? :thumbsup:

BEST, IVOR

Seems to be more copies of this around for sale, (probably as you say because of the high price all of a sudden making owners think f**k me I can get £800 if I sell it) than Mojoba and Reason Why. Still, it's a great record that I would love to have.

Jordi

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Seems to be more copies of this around for sale, (probably as you say because of the high price all of a sudden making owners think f**k me I can get £800 if I sell it) than Mojoba and Reason Why. Still, it's a great record that I would love to have.

Jordi

TOO RIGHT JORDI.........!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert