When Is A Vinyl Carvers Appropriate

Guest Dr Pickles

Guest Dr Pickles

I've seen a few DJ's drop a Vinyl Carvers into their set on my travels. While I think this is unacceptable for records that have been genuinely released but someone cannot afford or be bothered to find the record, is there a time when they would be accepted?

With loads of CD's coming out with unreleased tracks on from artists that are now departed, and not wanting to play CDs, would it be acceptable to have a one off track cut and played out?

Or are these sounds never to be danced to on this vinyl only scene?

Doc

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

i have a couple of unreleased (genuinely) tracks that i got cut , and a couple with album only tracks that i have the original albums

Social source share

I've seen a few DJ's drop a Vinyl Carvers into their set on my travels. While I think this is unacceptable for records that have been genuinely released but someone cannot afford or be bothered to find the record, is there a time when they would be accepted?

With loads of CD's coming out with unreleased tracks on from artists that are now departed, and not wanting to play CDs, would it be acceptable to have a one off track cut and played out?

Doc

Hard one to call this, of course it's a big no no to duplicate an issued rare record as you say but unissued material may be slightly different, the only example i can give is Ady Croasdell has given his blessing on some of the Ace/Kent material as it's a way to promote the tunes to a bigger audience, stuff like Tobi Lark - True True Love for example from 'The Dave Hamilton' Detroit CD simply has to be heard, so if a CD player is not available at the gigs then what do we do? personally i've been playing such tracks on the show directly off the CD again simply because these tracks have to be heard and will continue to do so, i think as long as you ask say Ady if you can cut a dub and it's ok to do so then there should be no major problem i think when the mass production of said dubs and openly selling them on Ebay etc. is bang out of order and the people who wish to take short cuts and dub some of the current big allnighter records, then go out there and play them is when the grey area sets in and simply pisses people off with the real deal original records.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Talking to a fellow collector today, he informed me that he had just supplied Butch with an emidisc of an unreleased tune that he intends to start playing. Imagine his horror when I told him he had provided one to me about 3 years ago as a B side to an LP track only A side he got done for me ( I don't normally carry LPs around to 'play out').

Now waiting for the aforementioned B side to go big. Could be a bit of profit in it!

Julian

Social source share

Doc

I have had most of my acetates done, to preserve the originals>

Social source share

It's tempting to have the originals put onto acetate, like you say to preserve the originals......but isn't a DJ booked to play because of the originals he owns......thus making it a bit of a cheat not to play said originals..... unsure.gif

I do play originals, it's only acetates that I've had copied. This is because they wear out....Steve

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Doc

To some of us if the first time a tune has been made legally avaliable is on cd then we're quite willing to listen to it played out on that format so that we get to hear it not just in our own living rooms

To me there is no need to get it cut, it would appear that its narrow minded and blinkered not to.

When i started out in the late 60's the only format out there was vinyl but times have changed. If someone doesn't want to own,play or listen to cd's fine that is their perogative and if a venue doesn't want cd's played again fine (their loss) but if we stick with the "original release" format then in some cases it is cd.

I ask the question what's the difference between a boot and a dub IMVHO not a lot. but then i've moved out of the stone age

Think maybe I'd better dig a moat, batten down the hatches, hire a bodyguard and buy a tin hat

The Git

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

The best option is only to put onto a vinyl record an unrelesed song not avaliable on vinyl only cd just for yourself to play out.

I would feel it be a great shame if you have vinyl policy only and can't play certain good unreleased tracks cause they only on cd. again with accetets good to copy as we know they will get worn out. what i hate most is why have album only tracks or copy a single onto vinyl when you may aswell take it with you.

I know people say don't want to carry lp's but you could always rotate LP's etc like you have a small box of say 25 LP's which you may play a track from yet if you have hundreds at home you only need to rotate some each time

Another thing is they say we buy on cd or copy from vinyl so we can keep the vinyl in good condition well if you looked after it, then it would be ok. i bet there are records out there people owned for 30 odd years that are in excellent conditon and played out maybe we all worry we play it to much it will get bad

Social source share

The best option is only to put onto a vinyl record an unrelesed song not avaliable on vinyl only cd just for yourself to play out.

I would feel it be a great shame if you have vinyl policy only and can't play certain good unreleased tracks cause they only on cd. again with accetets good to copy as we know they will get worn out. what i hate most is why have album only tracks or copy a single onto vinyl when you may aswell take it with you.

I know people say don't want to carry lp's but you could always rotate LP's etc like you have a small box of say 25 LP's which you may play a track from yet if you have hundreds at home you only need to rotate some each time

Another thing is they say we buy on cd or copy from vinyl so we can keep the vinyl in good condition well if you looked after it, then it would be ok. i bet there are records out there people owned for 30 odd years that are in excellent conditon and played out maybe we all worry we play it to much it will get bad

Well that certainly provides a little clarity on the matter.

Social source share

i've had a few done ....... mainly LP tracks to stop me having to lug them around. also got Bo Junior - Coffee Pot done as the one i have (like all copies i have been told by a couple of dealers) sounds like it has a fire burning in the background.

my Bo Junior has a very slight hiss when i play it at home, but when i record it to CD or play it out it sounds clean and really loud. Soon as the music comes in it sounds as good as any other 45.

I think it's OK for LP tracks, cos they are a pain to carry round , as you're only likely to have one or two anyway, and are often quieter than 45s, and unreleased/CD tracks of any sort .

It is certainly ridiculous to not be able to hear a great unreleased track out just because it wasn't ever issued.

I think otherwise, if you dont want it enough to buy it on original you shouldn't be playing it - dont want to start the old re-issues v originals debate up again, but the more effort / knowledge you have to put into getting your tunes, the more selective and discerning you'll be, and a better DJ.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Doc

Where on earth would I find one of these amazing machines? How much do they cost? Vinyl Carver ? Please explain ?

Not that I would rip CDs for playing on my record player.............................why would i bother, but I must admit to be intrigued. Where can you get a machine to do this? Is it certain record shops/producers?

I still collect me old original 6ts tunes and am not showing any signs of stopping, but if I could drop a ......say...........Bill Bush, "Im waiting" at our local Soul nite................................................ :wicked: ...........................................Who would ever know? laugh.gif

Seriously dudes........I have heard bits n bobs about this shit - but what is it all about............Technics Lathes, Vinyl Carvers?????

Please Help out an ignorent fool!

Social source share

:D:D THEN IT TIMI WILLIAMS FIRST DUDE..... laugh.gif:lol::no: .....................NOW WHERE IS THAT TAPE ADY DID FOR ME IN THE 80S.................................. :D

why cut TIMMIE WILLIAMS when you can buy the reissue for a tenner

and VC will cost you £15?????????????? :lol:

Social source share

but if I could drop a ......say...........Bill Bush, "Im waiting" at our local Soul nite................................................ biggrin.gif ...........................................Who would ever know? :lol:

Oh if only everybody was so accomodating, can I suggest that you also jump up & down on it a few times, perhaps while leant at an angle against a solid object :D

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Oh if only everybody was so accomodating, can I suggest that you also jump up & down on it a few times, perhaps while leant at an angle against a solid object :D

:lol: Can we all have a go? :lol:yes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert