Lorraine Rudolph RIP

Very sad news....

I have always been of the same mind as Barry Martin's remarks on the vocal similarities of her voice with that of Lorraine Randolph -see sirshambling-http://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/R/lorraine_rudolph/index.php

The other reasons of my own is i have seen her 'named' both ways on several occasions as far back as 1967. Particularly as featured with The Bob Craig Trio.

Lorraine Rudolph grew up in the Russell neighbourhood of Louisville, Ky, and having spent 25 years in Detroit, in her later years she lived in Temple Springs, Md.

Two PICTURES- both performing with the Bob Criag Trio at The Hurricane Lounge in 1967. RUDOLPH 1st pic Dec 1967/RANDOLPH 2nd pic Aug 1967.

Either way....i love both, if it is indeed two different ladies.

Lorraine RUDOLPH, Dec 1967.JPG

Lorraine RANDOLPH, Sept 1967, with Bob Craig Trio.JPG

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Soul Shrews said:

Sad to report that Lorraine Rudolph has died.

Spoke with her on the phone some years ago & she told me she had been asked to perform in the UK but sadly that didn't happen.

Thank you for the music Lorraine and RIP

Paul

No mention of her discography over the phone by any chance Paul ? As 'Kenb' reminded us rightfully with the wonderful site 'sirshambling' that her discography is not that clear nor definite FWIW...

As is she the sole 45 lady on Jetstream ? Or did she record before as Lorraine Randolph on Gemini Star and even earlier as Lorri Rudolph on Tri-Phi or Loe & Joe on Harvey ?

This with the aim to try and correct once an for all of her rather "different" discographies...  In a way this could be a nice tribute to pay while adding the passing of her there too.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

3 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

No mention of her discography over the phone by any chance Paul ? 

Afraid not Tim.

I was in DC to see the Jerry Butler show & was talking soul with a DC friend when she said "Have you ever heard of Lorraine Rudolph "? Couldn't believe that I had and called her immediately, so I was kinda put on the spot. But that was a very nice spot to be put on !

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

No mention of her discography over the phone by any chance Paul ? As 'Kenb' reminded us rightfully with the wonderful site 'sirshambling' that her discography is not that clear nor definite FWIW...

As is she the sole 45 lady on Jetstream ? Or did she record before as Lorraine Randolph on Gemini Star and even earlier as Lorri Rudolph on Tri-Phi or Loe & Joe on Harvey ?

This with the aim to try and correct once an for all of her rather "different" discographies...  In a way this could be a nice tribute to pay while adding the passing of her there too.

Isn't there an interview with her confirming she recorded as Lori, Loe and Joe etc.

Sad news though.  R.I.P. Lorraine and thank you for the music.

P.S. reading through the comments in the other thread in this link she says she recorded as Loe & Joe. https://www.issues.louisvillemusicnews.net/2003/2003April/rambleapril2003w97.php

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Isn't there an interview with her confirming she recorded as Lori, Loe and Joe etc.

Sad news though.  R.I.P. Lorraine and thank you for the music.

P.S. reading through the comments in the other thread in this link she says she recorded as Loe & Joe. https://www.issues.louisvillemusicnews.net/2003/2003April/rambleapril2003w97.php

OK, so that makes both 45cat & discogs discographies seemingly correct to this point leaving only the Lorraine Randolph 45 on Gemini star a ? mark.

I've just replayed the Jetstream next to the Gemini star 45's and the vocal has indeed a lot in common. Just as it was pointed out on 'sirshambling's site.

It's already rather intriguing just by the little name difference, now with a plausible release date in October 1968 to fit in a rather sparce discography...

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

wow, great artist. I bought my copy 17th June 1996, and received it the morning I heard my mother had died. it's not a disc I'll forget any time in my life time, and I wont sell it,  'After All I've Been Through For You' is such a great song.

I do think 'It's Over Between Us' is Lorraine Rudolph (Jet Star), although she has a more restrained vocal style on that side, the Jet Star recording is a little more free flowing if you know what I mean...

Great artist RIP Lorraine...

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!