Levanna McClean teaches Northern Soul

2 hours ago, Fish Fingers said:

Kids are less tribalistic than we used to be.

When I was young, most people were either a Soulie / Punk / Heavy Rocker / New Romantic etc. Its how people identified with the world in a time before YouTube and Tik Tok. Clothing and music tribalism were embedded in youth culture. 

I can see next gen just looking at NS as part of their overall diverse music experience. Maybe go to a soul night, then tomorrow go to an indie night. 

If that is the case, it would dilute certain aspects. Dancing and record collecting being obvious ones. 

I could also see the strict barriers of a NS night blurring (as already seems to be the case with Levs do) as next gen take it on their journey. 

More diversity with the music, drinks on the Dancefloor (sorry admin 🤣) etc. 

Just my 02p.

Absolutely spot on! There are some kids that still stick to youth cults - a few of my kids' friends are goths or skaters but even then their musical taste is way wider than those cults used to tolerate. There's even a sprinkling of young mods about but on the whole the under 20's seem to be into a wide range of stuff - partly because a massive range of music is now basically free and they don't have to invest their hard-earned cash into acquiring it. 

My 16 year old daughter likes a bit of Northern along with a bit of 70's rock, Harry Styles, disco, 80's indie etc; my 20 year old son also likes some Northern Soul, alongside drill, 60's, 70's, reggae, ska etc. Both have been to "proper" events with me in the past, they enjoyed it but it didn't grab them; my son goes to a Soul/Funk night in at a student club in Nottingham too he said it was his favourite night out.

I think it has become part of a diverse musical experience and not that many will identify with it to the exclusion of all else. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Source said:

no probs

thats 2 negative takes from yourself now, whats that all about?

Mike. Not negative at all mate, just showing how Levena is filling the venue when lots of regular northern ones are struggling with attendees in these covid controlled times. Maybe could be something to learn for any soul night  promoters. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Mike. Not negative at all mate, just showing how Levena is filling the venue when lots of regular northern ones are struggling with attendees in these covid controlled times. Maybe could be something to learn for any soul night  promoters. 

after your one video link launched an 'outraged' bus ride topic from hell, was surprised to see you post yet another link from the same event refreshing this topic

looked from here that you were trying to get another bus ride going

good to read you wasn't 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, John Reed said:

I'm in the minority here as I don't really care if the "Northern Soul scene" dies, with this generation.  Music aside, it's a youth scene which just happens to have had a prolonged life and I'm sure when people are dead and buried, the music will live on and be picked up by the youth again as an alternative to "current" music culture.   Let the youth pick it up and then develop it in the best way for them and if it means mixing it up a bit, so be it.  Continually harking back to "Wigan", wearing fancy dress, telling them how to dance or what the need to do or play, just alienates younger people.   Also, the concept of "leaving a legacy" is just a ridiculous idea, let the next generation decide what works best for them - At the end of the day this is another iteration of "Club Culture" and not really a way of life.

Well said. Hopefully not in the minority John , there's already 8 'up' votes .

Edited by Andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, John Reed said:

I'm in the minority here as I don't really care if the "Northern Soul scene" dies, with this generation.  Music aside, it's a youth scene which just happens to have had a prolonged life and I'm sure when people are dead and buried, the music will live on and be picked up by the youth again as an alternative to "current" music culture.   Let the youth pick it up and then develop it in the best way for them and if it means mixing it up a bit, so be it.  Continually harking back to "Wigan", wearing fancy dress, telling them how to dance or what the need to do or play, just alienates younger people.   Also, the concept of "leaving a legacy" is just a ridiculous idea, let the next generation decide what works best for them - At the end of the day this is another iteration of "Club Culture" and not really a way of life.

Word perfect to my ears John. Also not really a way of life but definitely a big part of all of ours. That's why we are on here.

Edited by Mssoulie
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

I met Leavanna and her mum a few years ago at Campisoul in Spain. Really nice people who had a good dance all night.

Regarding younger people joining us oldies, I  DJ'd  at Winsford for Andy McCabe, again a few years ago and there were lots of young soulies in attendance who were really 'up for it' and danced the whole time.  It could have been because I'm a great DJ🤣 or because they just love the music. Mind you, they did dance to Carl and Maria who were on after me, so maybe it was the music!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Julianb said:

I met Leavanna and her mum a few years ago at Campisoul in Spain. Really nice people who had a good dance all night.

Regarding younger people joining us oldies, I  DJ'd  at Winsford for Andy McCabe, again a few years ago and there were lots of young soulies in attendance who were really 'up for it' and danced the whole time.  It could have been because I'm a great DJ🤣 or because they just love the music. Mind you, they did dance to Carl and Maria who were on after me, so maybe it was the music!

Julian, They were just warming up so they could dance to Carl and Maries full set.🤣🤣. Sorry mate.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

47 minutes ago, Julianb said:

Julian.  When did Andy MaCabe  run Winsford  ? Very curious mate 🤔 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Mssoulie said:

Julian, They were just warming up so they could dance to Carl and Maries full set.🤣🤣. Sorry mate.

I agree entirely. Maria took over and stated 'You've just heard the rare but now you're going to hear the very rare'. Absolutely  brilliant, what a put down, I  laughed for hours. Maria denied saying it when we next met. Doesn't bother me in the slightest

As an aside, on another occasion at Stubshaw, I was on after them and Carl asked me what I was thinking of playing.  I mentioned about 6 tunes and guess what,  he played all of them whilst smiling at me, and me laughing my head off.  They did have a full dancefloor when he spun them👍😁😁

Happy days, happy stories.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Julianb said:

I agree entirely. Maria took over and stated 'You've just heard the rare but now you're going to hear the very rare'. Absolutely  brilliant, what a put down, I  laughed for hours. Maria denied saying it when we next met. Doesn't bother me in the slightest

As an aside, on another occasion at Stubshaw, I was on after them and Carl asked me what I was thinking of playing.  I mentioned about 6 tunes and guess what,  he played all of them whilst smiling at me, and me laughing my head off.  They did have a full dancefloor when he spun them👍😁😁

Happy days, happy stories.

Carl. Has a wicked sense of humour 😁👍

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!