Selling a c/u question?

Dobber
Go to solution Solved by Sebastian,

Im curious,if a potential buyer of a c/u,does he have to sign a secrets act document or something,cos if i was buying a c/u regardless of price i would want to know what it is first so i can do my own research! But then we are in the realms of “loose lips sinks ships” 😂

this tune in question (which is superb) its a lot of money on a (dont know who it is)?

56362E9B-C61A-4417-BB58-6C949CDE8AF6.jpeg

Social source share

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

Im curious,if a potential buyer of a c/u,does he have to sign a secrets act document or something,cos if i was buying a c/u regardless of price i would want to know what it is first so i can do my own research! But then we are in the realms of “loose lips sinks ships” 😂

this tune in question (which is superb) its a lot of money on a (dont know who it is)?

56362E9B-C61A-4417-BB58-6C949CDE8AF6.jpeg

Just my opinion.

The person selling does not have to tell you what the c/u is, its up to you whether you want to pay that price. But think about the old legal adage "buyer beware". If you do buy it then its up to you whether you share the information or not, its your property to decide. I would be surprised if anyone wanted an NDA signed for a record. I'm also wary about this 'only known copy' because its a big wide world for collectors and we only know a few of them personally, but there are thousands of vinyl buffs from the US to Japan and who knows what they have ?

The last time we had this discussion about this seller, he had a $10 record c/u at £400, but its identity was spotted immediately. I don't know what this is, as I usually avoid the gospel stuff and haven't played it. It could be a mega rarity... who knows ? At the end its your decision.

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Just my opinion.

The person selling does not have to tell you what the c/u is, its up to you whether you want to pay that price. But think about the old legal adage "buyer beware". If you do buy it then its up to you whether you share the information or not, its your property to decide. I would be surprised if anyone wanted an NDA signed for a record. I'm also wary about this 'only known copy' because its a big wide world for collectors and we only know a few of them personally, but there are thousands of vinyl buffs from the US to Japan and who knows what they have ?

The last time we had this discussion about this seller, he had a $10 record c/u at £400, but its identity was spotted immediately. I don't know what this is, as I usually avoid the gospel stuff and haven't played it. It could be a mega rarity... who knows ? At the end its your decision.

Very well put my friend,just to add though,im not considering buying the tune,although i can see how i made it look that way! Its just a thought ive had for many a year on the process of buying a cover up! 

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Only known copy isn't the same as the only copy, its the only one they know of.

As Drew said you takes your chances if you want it.  If you buy it its up to you what you do with it, uncover or keep it covered.  It does however give you some degree of exclusivity for a while until he finds another or Sam does.

I dont want the record in question,and i dont mean to single out rarenorthernsoul.com,ive just pondered this over a many year as to how people go on buying c/ups! It seams to me that once a dj has tired it out then he/she may aswell uncover it and sell it? Let other collectors/djs seek it out?

Social source share

20 minutes ago, Dobber said:

I dont want the record in question,and i dont mean to single out rarenorthernsoul.com,ive just pondered this over a many year as to how people go on buying c/ups! It seams to me that once a dj has tired it out then he/she may aswell uncover it and sell it? Let other collectors/djs seek it out?

Often they sell out of respect to others who may be playing it uncovered?  Not in this case though if it is the only copy we know of.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

Does Sam flip a coin as to who sells his throw aways (I thought he was John's best buddy ?)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Sam buys sells and trades with many people. He is very tenacious when it comes to dealers and sellers in the U.K. (not so "the internet" as he will be the first to admit). That said, not surprising he is offloading this, someone must have had a word🤣. On the wider question if a buyer wants to buy a record that is c/u that is their business, but as others have said it is always a case of "buyer beware".  

• Up vote 3
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

I too was pondering this with a certain cover up. If it's unknown, it certainly not been searched for in the way the say, the salvadors, has for, in that case 35 years or so. The thought of count boxes sitting in a warehouse is scary and off putting. 

Thats kinda my thoughts,if one is expected to buy the 45 covered up without an opportunity to satisfy ones own research and curiosity,then your gonna be cheesed of if you then discover its a bside to a 5 quid record thats been over looked,or worse you then uncover it and then you see it on ebay every 5 minutes for next to nowt! 😳

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Had it sold? Only I've just popped by the website in question for a listen and I can't find it. Mind you, this website is the most user UN-friendly one going with a search function that doesn't work. Puts me off even dropping by for a laugh every now and then.

Edited by John A
Social source share

Just now, John A said:

Had it sold? Only I've just popped by the website in question and I can't find it. Mind you, this website is the most user UN-friendly one going with a search function that doesn't work. Puts me off even dropping by for a laugh every now and then.

🤣

Just done the same and I can't find it

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Rememeber the 'Dream Team' 45s on Gregory that was played, and everybody got very excited about, then then a load turned up, and some folks got stung.   I do wonder sometimes when things like this happen quickly, that there maybe some copies out there poised to come onto the market... and that is not Judgement of the seller and dealer,  I would not in a million years say something bad about folks I know of, but dont know personally.  But this happens...

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, Geeselad said:

I too was pondering this with a certain cover up. If it's unknown, it certainly not been searched for in the way the say, the salvadors, has for, in that case 35 years or so. The thought of count boxes sitting in a warehouse is scary and off putting. 

A very tiny amount of people would have had this on their wants list so it wouldn't have been looked for Im guessing. 

And I don't care how well known this Jesus fella claims to be, theres less collect gospel than soul. But it was a known tune thats for sure and more then two exist. Definitely seen it on lists and had I knew SS had being plying it I'd have bought it to move on. 

Never liked it that much to be honest so never 'looked' for it when I was buying this Gospel. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

The tune caught my ear,cos i love group soul stuff,especially with sparce production,but lyrically it put me off,and now i know the group and title,its not something i could enjoy over and over again! Gospel aint for me no matter how good the tune is!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!