“Must Haves” You Never Play Out

I’ve been sorting out my record boxes today to update the DJ box & came across this 

A8DDEF89-D82E-47AB-9410-EE2713755529.thumb.jpeg.458ff31b2359911cecac667046336d8f.jpeg

I had to have it at the time for the Wigan history & Tammi Terrell connection. I forked out around £200 for it at the time & it bombed every time I played it out, so it’s sat in the box ever since

Just wondering what other people have bought as a “Must Have” that never makes it to a venue 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

You never hear it nowadays - played out - played in - or on Mixcloud !  Seldom seen for sale and far to quick to dance to for people of a certain age ! A truly forgotten dance floor smash ! 
As Keb Darge use to say - one to separate the men from the boys ! 

0FFA899A-BF0A-4542-9086-607BBDCF2AD4.jpeg

Edited by The Tempest
  • Up vote 2
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Ageing Face said:

I’ve been sorting out my record boxes today to update the DJ box & came across this 

I had to have it at the time for the Wigan history & Tammi Terrell connection. I forked out around £200 for it at the time & it bombed every time I played it out, so it’s sat in the box ever since

Just wondering what other people have bought as a “Must Have” that never makes it to a venue 

I heard it the first time I went to Wigan in November 73.  It had already had some spins at Va Va's.  I don't recall it being THAT popular even at the time, compared to other biggies like the Vel-Vets or even Ila Vann.  One of the best sax solos ever though!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ratt said:

In my memory The Sherrys was a big nighter sound, very popular. In fact it's difficult to believe that it doesn't go down well these days.

Definately got played alongside Joe Cooke, at CWG...and got pressed up.

Ed

*I guess what comes around, goes around...it may well get a revival at some point.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Source said:

can't best the orig version 👍

What a larf hey......i mean, no matter how good the gear was......this one, well.... It's first time hearing it though, it might grow on me???

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

Jo Jo Petite - Joey - (Boss)

https://youtu.be/EvJfY1I50Fs

Another, great but 'you conna dance to it'.

That’s the kind of stuff I grew up on. The tracks that you’ve never heard before that you can’t help but move to

Maybe we just need a time machine or fountain of youth. Or better still young blood in the scene that pack the dance floor so we can convince ourselves that we’d be up there doing it, but there’s not enough room to do our moves justice

• Up vote 2
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

The Sherry’s is a great record for its time and place in NS history, a real full on dancer for those halcyon days when most on the scene were 25 and under who just wanted to dance and feel free and enjoy theirselves , It still has a place now at a nostalgia and oldies night at the right time and for the right people, it’s up to the DJ when!  If he doesn’t know it will fail like hundreds more do, It’s not the Jokes  it’s the way you tell them.

KR

ML

I suppose that’s the problem with “guesting” at venues that you haven’t visited previously 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Joan Berry - Just like my baby. bought the record because my (late) mum's name is Joan Berry. Played it to her once........  try dancing to this espc the final third..    (also have Richard Berry - have love will travel cos its my name...)

Edited by Bbrich
added a bit
Social source share

Can only agree - I'm booked to guest at a local established venue in May and having only visited once before (last Nov) I took the opportunity to get another sighter last Saturday - end result - I'll have to temper my playlist to suit the gathered throng - this despite there being a fairly large crowd who remember me from the early / mid 70.s as the leading local dj - some couples even came to my wedding in early 75 - lot's of animated chat's and reminising on Saturday - I'll need to pick my timing to broaden the playlist and I'll be there early to stag the other dj's offerings. Anticipating a packer but who really knows. Get to the Quorn Soul Club - Greenfields sports - Loughborough - Frosty senior back on home turf

It'll be hard enough at Thringstone next Friday and I'm a resident there !!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Bbrich said:

Joan Berry - Just like my baby. bought the record because my (late) mum's name is Joan Berry. Played it to her once........  try dancing to this espc the final third..    (also have Richard Berry - have love will travel cos its my name...)

I can get away with Richard Berry at scooter events, not tried it at a Soul night as for the 

Joan Berry track, I don’t think I have ever the ability to move my feet fast enough to keep up

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Vadnochka said:

Can only agree - I'm booked to guest at a local established venue in May and having only visited once before (last Nov) I took the opportunity to get another sighter last Saturday - end result - I'll have to temper my playlist to suit the gathered throng - this despite there being a fairly large crowd who remember me from the early / mid 70.s as the leading local dj - some couples even came to my wedding in early 75 - lot's of animated chat's and reminising on Saturday - I'll need to pick my timing to broaden the playlist and I'll be there early to stag the other dj's offerings. Anticipating a packer but who really knows. Get to the Quorn Soul Club - Greenfields sports - Loughborough - Frosty senior back on home turf

It'll be hard enough at Thringstone next Friday and I'm a resident there !!

Hope you have a good ‘in. It’s difficult when you get a crowd that know what they like & like what they know. 
I’m not brave enough to try & educate the punters

Social source share

3 hours ago, Ageing Face said:

I can get away with Richard Berry at scooter events, not tried it at a Soul night as for the 

Joan Berry track, I don’t think I have ever the ability to move my feet fast enough to keep up

Richard berry was massive be in the 80's think that is still a goer and ripe for reactivation, most people already know the song at least. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!