JMAuction - 11/05/2022 - Results!

50 minutes ago, Mark R said:

Posted this last week in relation to some tune or other, but for some reason it didn't post, so I'll say it again........

.......it really is a rich man's game now isn't it.....

Cheers,

Mark R

I wonder how many tunes are now over the 5 grand mark?

Scary to think a 200 box of them is a million quid...

OVO djing.....you must be joking unless it's from inside a secure booth and there's lots of security around!

Ed

• Up vote 3
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Scary to think a 200 box of them is a million quid...

Ed

Due to a recent win, I am looking for a new very sturdy record box, must be able to hold 36800 7" singles!

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

14 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Never heard the Fluorescent Smogg record before, a top price but it's a top record to these ears. 

It's come a long way from being on sales tapes roundabout the late 80's, 1990's!

Edited by SolidSoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

48 minutes ago, SolidSoul said:

It's come a long way from being on sales tapes roundabout the late 80's, 1990's!

A Soul Sam anthem from 76?...I must have missed that COMPLETELY. Was it covered up?

Same label as 7th wonder COMS...? That would have been about 77 or 78.

I remember SS dabbling in the "modern sounds" more at Snaith, but that was later.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

A Soul Sam anthem from 76?...I must have missed that COMPLETELY. Was it covered up?

I remember SS dabbling in the "modern sounds" more at Snaith, but that was later.

Ed

I know nothing!

But, perhaps the RECORD if from 1976. I think Sam was playing stuff like the Ellingtons in 1976. 

Just a guess and I could be getting it all wrong.

Cheers.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Ed

I think it is referring to it release year although I believe it was from 1978 and not when Sam was playing it.  Sam biggie in the 80s, may have been at Snaith in early 80s but certainly getting spins at Rock City.

Social source share

47 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Whilst I agree in part there are still thousands of quality records that are affordable to the Dj.  However most are sheep and have no imagination, most are too idle to go searching and digging, that is why the Northern scene has become so stale and retro.  Dancers are no better, afraid to dance to something they don't like....gods know how they went on at Wigan and such places...I think I know the answer to that 😆

Well it's that's certainly not new, I heard many say how dead the regular Saturdays were at Wigan after the oldies nighters started

• Up vote 1
Social source share

To make a general comparrison on soul Auctions; a certain dealer in Todmorden has a track by Emanuella Quick on auction with a reserve price of £300, He says one of two releses on the label. I noticed this morning you can get that same 45, same release number from ebay for under 30 quid, quite a few copies in fact.   I like Tim's auction, I think he's more in tune with reality to be honest, but there have been a few times I swolled my tounge...

Now I have top go cap in hand for the Sapphires on Ampar on other said auction site... that maybe a short conversation..

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

I think it is referring to it release year although I believe it was from 1978 and not when Sam was playing it.  Sam biggie in the 80s, may have been at Snaith in early 80s but certainly getting spins at Rock City.

Quite possibly the year of release and not the year of first real play in the mainstream.

Hard to imagine now how stuff like this was not picked up in that 75 to 80 period, which did get picked up from 80 to 85!

Better late than never I guess.

Ed

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Quite possibly the year of release and not the year of first real play in the mainstream.

Hard to imagine now how stuff like this was not picked up in that 75 to 80 period, which did get picked up from 80 to 85!

Better late than never I guess.

Ed

The date of 1976 is written on the label.  I don't know where whoever entered the date on 45cat got their info from?  It is obvious to me what John meant.  

Probably not the kinda record for 1976 most were looking for I guess.  

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Simon T said:

https://www.discogs.com/release/1450382-Fluorescent-Smogg-Little-Joe-All-My-Life

The entry on Discogs states 'Produced by F. Smogg, date written on label 6-3-78 and initials jds'

The date on JM's looks like the '6' is just a wonky 8 to me

Sam sold it in 1989; the new owner let me tape it in Dec 89.

download (1).jpg

On Captain of my ship...clearly states 1976 and I first heard it at Wakefield unity in 1977 if memory serves me well..

So the label was known.

All my life is less clear to me. 76 or 78 ?

It's a good record but surely its the perceived rarity that's driving the value this high.

Ed

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

On Captain of my ship...clearly states 1976 and I first heard it at Wakefield unity in 1977 if memory serves me well..

So the label was known.

All my life is less clear to me. 76 or 78 ?

It's a good record but surely its the perceived rarity that's driving the value this high.

Ed

Fair point, perhaps whoever posted on discogs dated 6/3/78, has one but the '8' is a wonky looking 6?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Theothertosspot said:

Steve G beat me to it, as in 76/78 Sam was playing some 60’s USA an Uk.

Fluorescent Smogg was played, and soon on tapes around 86.

Possibly JM incorrect by a decade!!!!! But these things happen 😎

I must admit that I read it that it was a 1976 release not that Sam played it in 1976. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

In hindsight, we were blessed with 'Soul Bowl' in particular.

Bought a huge chunk of our collection from there, back in the day.

Buying blind often, pre internet, some bad, some good, some fantastic.

The prices of discs that cost a few quid then, now go for a fortune.

And in our recollection, they were nearly always unplayed mint copies.

A great time to be selling now, but unless you have deep pockets, not for buying.

Agree with others though, still tons of great tunes available for little outlay.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Yes indeed.

I wonder how many singles in total SB imported?

Every ten quid soul pack was worth ten times that....at least.

Sleeping giants, especially 70s stuff.

Happy days.

Ed

Marissa's brother (who worked at SB in the 70s) told me that anything they had more than 25 copies of that wasn't a northern in demander went in the soul packs. 25 copies was the threshold. Some of those records turned out to be pretty scarce, so yes agree great value. But John's argument was that no one wanted them (as individual items) back then.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

Marissa's brother (who worked at SB in the 70s) told me that anything they had more than 25 copies of that wasn't a northern in demander went in the soul packs. 25 copies was the threshold. Some of those records turned out to be pretty scarce, so yes agree great value. But John's argument was that no one wanted them (as individual items) back then.

John said the same in discussion at Cleethorpes, anything with a copies that weren't selling went in the packs. 

Social source share

It's been discussed on here many times...but

Let's get to the point..changes go around.. The composers...was in them for example...a great double header now fetching a few quid for many years. At least half were collectable and in a lot of cases totally unknown to the average Joe like myself.

Happy days.

Ed

Social source share

15 hours ago, Steve G said:

Sam got Fluorescent Smogg in the mid 80s, 84 or 85 I think. To all intents and purposes that is when it first appeared. It is a testament to the man's taste. I happened to be in KL with him when he got it (he used to pick me up in Peterborough). It was either £5 or £10 I cannot remember which now. But, it was in his pile, he played it and I thought WTF that's a bit off, I was really surprised that he bought it as it didn't sound like the type of sound that was going down at the time. Soon after he played it at Rock City and the rest is, as they say, history. 

Steve i was with him at the Torquay weekender last weekend and he said that was when he was playing it. Strangely he also said that by 1992 he had got fed up with a lot of the modern stuff and didn't like the way it was going. He said the tape i did for him which included things like Joseph Moore I still can't get you  got him back into Northern Soul. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!