Stanky (Get Funky) - Billy Davis Cobblestone

Many years ago when I first heard this record I didn't like it much. Sounded like a fast funk record. But these days I am coming round to it after watching the dancefloor reaction and how well it works in a venue. I wouldn't pay lot's of money for it, but it's ok in a venue!

My question is when did it first get popular at a Northern Soul venue?

I can not remember it played at places like Wigan back in the day. I first heard it played out at the excellent, now long gone, Lowton Civic Hall.

So when did you first hear it in a venue?

Edited by SolidSoul
Social source share

I've always like the uptempo stuff like this and Angela Davis for example.

You can go a little mad on the dancefloor!

I first heard it around 2005 to be honest at soul in the sun.

Guessing it's a mid 80s find, when I was out of the game, so to speak.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Copies of this were around in 1970/71, maybe earlier? - pretty sure it was played at places around that time as I knew of it and had a copy about then. Perhaps someone else can confirm where it was played out for you - hope that helps, cheers Dave

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I bought the record for the other side about 24 2E0F7E5B-4885-487B-B32D-5A6703E4FE48.thumb.jpeg.6a7de475f57ee336cb71a23fd5c3b2d8.jpegyears ago. I must have sampled the Stanky side and ruled it out as I didn’t bother writing this title on the cardboard sleeve. I would hazard a guess that Stanky started getting spins at some point in the last decade but I don’t know precisely when.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Same as SolidSoul I remember Stanky as a Lowton spin then everywhere else soon after. I'd agree that it got a big dance floor reaction but not one I'd want to own or play at home.

I first came across it around 72-73. It was talked about as a record to look out for and Cobblestone was trending with The Vonnettes and Sounds of Lane at the time. I think Richard Searling had it in his DJ box, I can vaguely recall seeing his copy in one of his distinctive felt pen calligraphy white card sleeves. I don't remember hearing him , or anyone , play it in a club at the time.

I found four or five copies when I worked at Global so put it on the Specials list (or kids list as owner Ed Balbier called it) If I played it I can't remember, never bought a copy and it never took off so I was surprised when it went big . Many years ago Dave K (DtheDrug) sent me scans of some old Global lists and it was listed at £5 on one then reduced to £3 or less on another as it didn't sell at all.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

16 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Same as SolidSoul I remember Stanky as a Lowton spin then everywhere else soon after. I'd agree that it got a big dance floor reaction but not one I'd want to own or play at home.

I first came across it around 72-73. It was talked about as a record to look out for and Cobblestone was trending with The Vonnettes and Sounds of Lane at the time. I think Richard Searling had it in his DJ box, I can vaguely recall seeing his copy in one of his distinctive felt pen calligraphy white card sleeves. I don't remember hearing him , or anyone , play it in a club at the time.

I found four or five copies when I worked at Global so put it on the Specials list (or kids list as owner Ed Balbier called it) If I played it I can't remember, never bought a copy and it never took off so I was surprised when it went big . Many years ago Dave K (DtheDrug) sent me scans of some old Global lists and it was listed at £5 on one then reduced to £3 or less on another as it didn't sell at all.

Bet you wish there had been 4 or 5 copies of Tommy Dent as well

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!