Is Cajun Hart rare or not?

Soul Salad
Go to solution Solved by Dobber,

Hi, 

Not really a collector now (have a very few gems from my original list of 12 - 5 to be exact😆) but Got to find a way Cajun Hart always been a record i intend to own at some point on my list, had a couple of chances over the years but either price/lack of funding at the time or condition issues have put me off.

I want to know is this record "rare" or are copies just all sitting in collections i.e. hence not rare just supply and demand and few/none left to buy. I only ask as it was released on a good few WB labels in US and Europe and with presumably with good distribution.

Thanks 😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Soul Salad said:

Thanks Guys, much appreciated!

I have two reissues already, but i have a small list of records i MUST have originals for - this being one - I will hopefully tick it off my list this year coming unless my daughter wants to go on "another" expensive school trip🫤

Dax 🙂

PS Anyone have any idea of a "sensible" price for this currently i.e. a clean US issue?

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

There is another version released in 1969 by Geoffrey Meteliko (not sure which is the original and which is the cover).

More at home in a jazz lounge, but interesting take all the same.

This is the original version to 'got to find a way'. Dreadfull IMO. Crooner Jazz Cabaret thingy. Randy 'Cajun' Hart although being white (sounding very much so Elvis like) wanted to reach 'soul' all along his carreer. Hence his very last one on Brunswick which should have incarnate his epitome even though it failed yet again commercially.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Dobber said:

I don’t think it’s rare at all,but like most of the popular oldies they are becoming less and less available!

I personally in the last 10 years have had 3 green issues,2 white demos,2 yellow uk demos,but never had the orange issue to which I would say is the rarest format!

And for me the tune is always in my top 10…love it!

Both the UK issue and demo are harder to find than the US issues and demos IMHO

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Geoff Meteliko got quite a few plays back in the early 90's maybe earlier -It was a cheaper alternative then as it is now, but personally always found either version a messy arrangement and off loaded pretty quickly.

I suppose this also brings back the old chestnut - The definition of rare - Cajun Hart is not rare in my definition 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Vadnochka said:

Geoff Meteliko got quite a few plays back in the early 90's maybe earlier -It was a cheaper alternative then as it is now, but personally always found either version a messy arrangement and off loaded pretty quickly.

I suppose this also brings back the old chestnut - The definition of rare - Cajun Hart is not rare in my definition 

Yeah I reckon 80% of what is popular is certainly not rare,just expensive, which then gives the illusion they are rare!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I don't think the UK copies "jump" as such. I think it's just something to do with the recording. It's as if the sound for the UK copy was taken from a USA copy that DID jump. So, the actual vinyl on UK copies is fine, it's just the recording. Hope that makes sense!!

Take a listen (and look) at 1min 45 seconds on this JM youtube clip. You can hear it BUT I can't see the needle jump.

I picked up a USA copy on ebay from a seller in Sweden for a very good price in 2020. I think it was listed in the wrong category.

Edited by Bo Diddley
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Bo Diddley said:

I don't think the UK copies "jump" as such. I think it's just something to do with the recording. It's as if the sound for the UK copy was taken from a USA copy that DID jump. So, the actual vinyl on UK copies is fine, it's just the recording. Hope that makes sense!!

Take a listen (and look) at 1min 45 seconds on this JM youtube clip. You can hear it BUT I can't see the needle jump.

I picked up a USA copy on ebay from a seller in Sweden for a very good price in 2020. I think it was listed in the wrong category.

Yes your correct,however the orange issue doesn’t have the fault?

equally I’ve had a few USA issues and demos and none of them shared this fault,just seems to be on the uk demo!

23 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Yes, as i thought - Thats pricey for a not particularly "rare" record🤔

I think the point is that these days is that the price is dictated by popularity not rarity

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Vadnochka said:

Just had a look on popsike and 184 items over the multiple types of release recorded as sales items with individual values and bid history attached - so not really rare at all.

Here counting almost 75 past auctions of originals out of 155 on Popsyke. The others are all reissues / boots. Which indeed is not rare. But since it dried up and demand for TOP500 sounds boomed. With crazy prices on many big ticket items it just made it all more scarcer. Stuck in collections. Ready to move out if ever only for the new crazy price if ever. This speculative game has even contaminated records that are not currently played out.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Are these new buyers collectors?. I suspect not, think they're investors 😒You see those eye watering prices for stuff on Discogs - wonder if people actually buy them - Anyway this is a different thread.

Yes it's another thread. But I'm afraid that they're not 'investors' as such but more like 'opportunists' who as I said are willing to part with them for the "right price".  Hence a Minty USA promo just finished at $1.200 on the EvilBay and Manship a month ago auctioned one ending at £1.200... Giving more "reasons" for those priced on DatCogs.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!