CEAS Leicester Allnighter 17/2/1984

Go to solution Solved by Happy Feet,

Thanks for mentioning this, as I think about it annually as I do with Hinckley Ric-Tic Review which was my first all niter, but hadn't thought about it yet this year and as you say, it's 40 years back on Saturday.  I'm sure it would have crossed my mind at some point but thanks anyway.

Yes I did attend, pictured here sitting on stage top left, image lifted from the video..........aged 17, wedge haircut, cap sleeve T LOL

Posting some memorabilia from my collection too, what a night! (flyers been carved up to adorn record boxes! LOL)

33940822_10155921491332772_6955171095980802048_n.thumb.jpg.4428bba53ac4ccf3d6529f7040c5da5e.jpg

94137449_10157652604142772_3909448596264583168_n.thumb.jpg.688ac26dc314b756de83a1260adccb22.jpg93517388_10157652604072772_7493538387471630336_n.jpg.e4c0ed452615985773e6a35a87aa9c66.jpg93430309_10157652603987772_4104121313260470272_n.thumb.jpg.b92ad44e1d93ca1ae585fb8a7605550f.jpg94097419_10157652605542772_4890845715707723776_n.jpg.8f3ed14c365e2ea52ba81f94dd951633.jpg

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Good thread Simon.

I was there, with my mate Terry from Mablethorpe. I'll add some memories later.

Mark, great reply there, some fantastic memories on those attachments.

Thanks Simon and Mark, I hope you're both well.

Peter

ps; I never remembered but the 2nd Anniversary must have been two days after my Birthday. I'm 61 today, and haven't done the maths yet. I just tried to ring Terry my mate, before I saw this, I haven't spoke to him for a few years due to being unwell. How fortuitous is that.

🙂

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

• Solution

I can definitely remember attending, one of the few Alnighters that my brother came with me , all the way from Brighton, when the trains where affordable, I'm sure I sold Adam after twisting his arm to play it ,Gwen McCrea , The Melody Of Life ,Cat 12" from my sales box , fantastic night and great atmosphere.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks for posting the video Simon

It's a great video for sure, I bought one from **** quite a few years ago now. There are lots of people on there who were regular all niter goers during the 80's. ******, from Nottingham, is seen smiling and waving in the que at the beginning etc. Most of my friends at the time are on the video, I'm on it somewhere.  Shippo, whose no longer with us is on there; too many people to mention. 

I can't remember whether this was the all niter where the place was evacuated due to a bomb scare; Tony Clayton shouted from the stairs on the way back in; "drop your gear the drug squad are in". It may not have been this particular niter, but it definitely happened at one of the Odd Fellows niters. 

I'll post up a funny memory later; I've posted it before on older threads, but worth repeating I think. 

Come on everyone, I know there are lots of SS'rs who were there, you must have something of interest to add. 

Peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

I can't remember whether this was the all niter where the place was evacuated due to a bomb scare; Tony Clayton shouted from the stairs on the way back in; "drop your gear the drug squad are in". It may not have been this particular niter, but it definitely happened at one of the Odd Fellows niters. 

The only niter I remember being disrupted by a "bomb scare" was at the Wirrina in Peterboro' around the same time , early 80's.

Some antagonism between the Wirrina and Fleet promoters I believe.

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Thanks for posting the video Simon

It's a great video for sure, I bought one from Pete Smith quite a few years ago now. There are lots of people on there who were regular all niter goers during the 80's. Curly, from Nottingham, is seen smiling and waving in the que at the beginning etc. Most of my friends at the time are on the video, I'm on it somewhere. Colin Shipstone, Shippo, whose no longer with us is on there; too many people to mention. 

I'll post up a funny memory later; I've posted it before on older threads, but worth repeating I think. 

Come on everyone, I know there are lots of SS'rs who were there, you must have something of interest to add. 

Peter

Probably not mention individual's names as some have gone on and become respectable pillars of society. (cough, cough)

Social source share

Ha ,remember the bomb scare ,as we were going down the fire escape to the right hand side of the stage as you look at it  Tony shouted about the ds and loads of people ran back to the toilets and then exited back down to the street.   As to the 2nd anniversary a few years ago I put the video onto dvd and did a sleeve using flyer badges and car sticker etc. Great times never missed one cesc event 

20240216_185412.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks so much for posting that. Hairs on the back of my neck/little tears in my eyes stuff.

I'm off out now but I'll watch that in bed tomorrow morning rather than shagging the missus.  

It's absolutely mad, looking back - jammed in like absolute sardines, completely off our tits, people karate-kicking and spinning all over the shop, people waving lit fags around two inches from your eyeballs, inhaling talc, sweating your nuts off, for eight hours solid.

It's incredible that no one ever got blinded/kicked in the face etc  

Though I was wearing badly-fitting braces that night and I ended up with bleeding nipples. 

The best days of my life.

Social source share

My mates big brother was living in Nottingham at the time - and had been on the scene since the late 70’s - my mate would go down from our town in Scotland during the school holidays - visit - stay with him and go to soul nights - he missed this one - but he bought the video and we were hooked ! Forty years later and still am ! Went to the 4th and 5th Anniversary’s - proper all nighters 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, Paraboliccurve said:

Was there also a third or fourth anniversary video btw? Or am I misremembering?

Fifth is on you tube - I was at 4th and don’t remember any video that night - but then I don’t really remember much of the 80’s either !!!!! 😂🙈😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Woodbutcher said:

The only niter I remember being disrupted by a "bomb scare" was at the Wirrina in Peterboro' around the same time , early 80's.

Some antagonism between the Wirrina and Fleet promoters I believe.

i was at that...  major lance didnt show.   but eddie holman and jnr walker, were on top form. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, The Tempest said:

Fifth is on you tube - I was at 4th and don’t remember any video that night - but then I don’t really remember much of the 80’s either !!!!! 😂🙈😉

Don't suppose you can stick up a YouTube link? I can't find it no matter what search terms I enter!

Social source share

I seem to have the patch from 5th Anniversary but I've got to say that I really don't remember it like I do the 2nd.

That said I was only 17yrs 3mnths old at the 2nd and was just 1 year in to all niters, so you're not likely to forget nights like that which kind of shape your life musically!

I've decided that my DJ set in the modern room at Carlton In Lindrick Civic Centre tonight shall include some Oddfellows faves and have packed the box accordingly.  It would be rude not to!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Mark R said:

I seem to have the patch from 5th Anniversary but I've got to say that I really don't remember like I do the 2nd.

That said I was only 17yrs 3mnths old at the 2nd and was just 1 year in to all niters, so you're not likely to forget nights like that which kind of shape your life musically!

I've decided that my DJ set in the modern room at Carlton In Lindrick Civic Centre tonight shall include some Oddfellows faves and have packed the box accordingly.  It would be rude not to!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Hi Mark

I suspect I must have at least known your face back in the days of Leicester Nottingham Odd Fellows all niters. I suspect you must have been a very handsome young man, with your wedge hair cut an all. 😊 I haven't done the maths properly; I'm just a thick lad from Lincolnshire, 🤭, but I think the 2nd Anniversary must have been the day or so after my 21st birthday (I never remembered that before Simon's post), so I would have been quite handsome too. 🤣

I would be interested to see your playlist tonight at the Carlton in Lindrick evening tonight, it's a good shout to include some Oddfellows tunes. (If you remember them after)

Sending my best my friend.

Peter

🙏

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mark R said:

I seem to have the patch from 5th Anniversary but I've got to say that I really don't remember it like I do the 2nd.

Cheers,

Mark R

Have heard you dj before and enjoyed tunes you have and like so will be a great spot as always. 

Best wishes 

Mick

Edited by Greedy Mick
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, The Tempest said:

Hi this is the 6th Anniversary at Loughborough town hall , Ally managed to get the Oddfellows club for one last niter in Feb 87 for the 5th Anniversary. But carried on at Loughborough, Peterborough and market Harborough for a while. 

Best wishes 

Mick

Social source share

1 hour ago, The Tempest said:

Thanks for posting this; I've never seen it before. There are loads of friends and faces on there, some, sadly, who are no longer with us. I was thinking that I must have been there with my main man Terry, and then we popped up on the camera. I can't believe I was wearing my glasses - I must have been driving. 

Loughborough Town Hall is still there with it's impressive ball room in tact; although the building did have a fire there last year. I worked in Loughborough from 2000 until 2021, and was friends with the old buildings inspector from the local borough council; I've been all over that building, even up on the roof, and that bought back lots of memories. Quite spooky! At the time of this all niter the Market Place still had roads all the way through, it's been pedestrianised for many years now.

Lovely memories, lots of good people, a few mullets, quite a few "tashes", and some pretty girls. 😍

Thanks again for posting.

Peter 

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

Have heard you dj before and enjoyed tunes you have and like so will be a great spot as always. 

Best wishes 

Mick

Thank you Mick, hope you're keeping well pal, been a while!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I remember going to Loughborough Town Hall one niter when the visit wasn't planned and it was a spur of the moment idea after we'd been on the beer.  It wasn't a great idea as I was ill into a carrier bag in there and a mate of mine carried it out to the bins in the market square and I followed him for some air.

Unfortunately the carrier bag had those little breather holes in it.............. 🤢

One of those things you never forget! 🤣

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Some dear friends, some of which are no sadly no longer with us, in the Loughborough video

I'm the long streak of piss 1st through the door in the video 

Here's some of my pictures from CESC nites...happy times

CCI_000006.jpg

CCI_000007.jpg

CCI_000005.jpg

CCI_000009.jpg

CCI_000008.jpg

Edited by nsaints
added a couple of pictures
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Mark

I suspect I must have at least known your face back in the days of Leicester Nottingham Odd Fellows all niters. I suspect you must have been a very handsome young man, with your wedge hair cut an all. 😊 I haven't done the maths properly; I'm just a thick lad from Lincolnshire, 🤭, but I think the 2nd Anniversary must have been the day or so after my 21st birthday (I never remembered that before Simon's post), so I would have been quite handsome too. 🤣

I would be interested to see your playlist tonight at the Carlton in Lindrick evening tonight, it's a good shout to include some Oddfellows tunes. (If you remember them after)

Sending my best my friend.

Peter

🙏

We definitely would have been in the vicinity of one another my friend, very happy days!

I have some kind of warm, fuzzy feeling today thinking back and talking about this, which kinda says it all doesn't.

I'm very much a forward thinker musically, but you can't help but reminisce about nights like these, we ALL like to do that!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Thanks for posting this; I've never seen it before. There are loads of friends and faces on there, some, sadly, who are no longer with us. I was thinking that I must have been there with my main man Terry, and then we popped up on the camera. I can't believe I was wearing my glasses - I must have been driving. 

Loughborough Town Hall is still there with it's impressive ball room in tact; although the building did have a fire there last year. I worked in Loughborough from 2000 until 2021, and was friends with the old buildings inspector from the local borough council; I've been all over that building, even up on the roof, and that bought back lots of memories. Quite spooky! At the time of this all niter the Market Place still had roads all the way through, it's been pedestrianised for many years now.

Lovely memories, lots of good people, a few mullets, quite a few "tashes", and some pretty girls. 😍

Thanks again for posting.

Peter 

I think this was my look at Loughborough niters circa 1988.

WhatsAppImage2024-02-16at17_52.03_03e156ca.thumb.jpg.66da2d601d38261430a9c487d7265090.jpg

Social source share

Looking at the images posted and seen the various videos filmed at both Oddfellows and the Loughborough niters many times over the years and it dawned on me that I never seem to appear on any of them.

From memory I was at every Oddfellows and Loughborough nighter held and my missus and friends all appear on the videos but never me.

The same applies to the Unicorn nighters at Leighton Buzzard and I begin to wonder if I was ever really there.

Probably just hiding in some dark corner in the usual mess I always liked to get in.

Happy days in deed at some great nighters.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2024 at 18:12, Ian Parker said:

Enjoyed that..  id forgotten that Steve Phyllis (speedlimit) came 2nd in the dance comp.  

Yea lost to my old school buddy Tommy from Beeston.  I went on to win it the following  2 years  . Got my revenge  on Tommo  the following  night at the Fleet . As I beat him in the dance contest at the Fleet  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!