Northern / Modern soul compilation cassettes Whats out there

Hi Some may have seen my want for the Soulful kinda seventies goldmine cassette - I would love to know what comps are out there on cassette - I have Northern Soul Floorshakers, quite a few Tamla comps but struggling to find anything modern and interested in other Northern comps too.

I've recently restored an 80's pioneer cassette deck and surprised how decent the sound is (to my ears) and I like the compact nature of cassettes

Ta Mike

Social source share

Soul Souveniers volume 2 was on tape, but not volume 1. I used to see it in record shops and the charity shops a lot.

Discogs lists 11 Goldmine compilations on tape, the Essential North West Soul Collection of the list was only on tape (though its songs are on many others).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Thinksmart said:

Soul Souveniers volume 2 was on tape, but not volume 1. I used to see it in record shops and the charity shops a lot.

Discogs lists 11 Goldmine compilations on tape, the Essential North West Soul Collection of the list was only on tape (though its songs are on many others).

The 11 x Goldmines I found - Thanks for tip off. Didn't realise but Soulful kinda 70's (original want) is one of them But sadly none of the 11 have any copies for sale on DISCOGS

:0( 

Social source share

i have just rigged my old technics cassette deck up to my midi system and it works fine ,not got  soul tapes to play on it ,sounds ok it,gave a load away years ago,got a few rock & mor tapes tested it out plays fine,have to check the charity shops and car boots poss found some to play,if any body got any 70ts,modern wigan sounds be interested.

Phil 

Social source share

Just remembered, Charly put out both volumes 1 and 2 (not 3) of Rare Soul Uncovered on tape which are perfect for your focus - plus after checking other comps such as Harlem Shuffle, Chicago Soul Uprising and This Is Charly Soul

Edited by Thinksmart
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Also $tateside records put out two cassettes of early spins on tape.

The Rare series by Ariola Records mixes early Modern Soul and Jazz Funk, and is on tape. https://www.discogs.com/label/577298-Rare-7?page=1

Urban Classics 3 is on tape, Modern focused, even having We The People as its lead track.

The Wind Down Zone series on Elevate made it to tape and was compiled by Ralph Tee. That has great MS selections on each one.

Mentioning Ralph, I found a few tapes on Expansion:https://www.discogs.com/label/9974-Expansion?page=1 - I've got all those on CD. Beloyd is on Soul Sauce 3 for example.

Edited by Thinksmart
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Are we talking just current releases now available or are we talking about past ones ?

Memory says that most northern vinyl comp lps in the 70s had a cassette equivalent, 

any shouts on what was the earliest one?

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Soul Wv10 said:

I wonder just how long it will be before we start to see some soul Cassettes for sale as they are supposed to be the next thing to make a come back 

ace had a couple of recent albums available as new tape releases

not sure if there are any plans for any more, whcih may be a indicator of sales

anyone know if any more planned?

Social source share

There's a member on Soul Source who made loads of live all niter cassette tape recordings back in the day. He seemed inseparable from his fantastic twin deck monster recording machine as I regularly eyed him from the dancefloor at many all niters. 🤨

I will leave it to them to reveal themselves if they so wish. 🫢

Peter

🙂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

There's a member on Soul Source who made loads of live all niter cassette tape recordings back in the day. He seemed inseparable from his fantastic twin deck monster recording machine as I regularly eyed him from the dancefloor at many all niters. 🤨

I will leave it to them to reveal themselves if they so wish. 🫢

Peter

🙂

I remember him, right DIV, I wonder what happened to him?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Somewhere, I have a carrier bag of old home made recordings on cassette tape. If I can find them - and there's absolutely no guarantee of that, I will gladly package them up and send them to you; I wouldn't want any thing for them. I'll have a dig through my old junk room at the weekend. 

Peter

😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Somewhere, I have a carrier bag of old home made recordings on cassette tape. If I can find them - and there's absolutely no guarantee of that, I will gladly package them up and send them to you; I wouldn't want any thing for them. I'll have a dig through my old junk room at the weekend. 

Peter

😉

That's decent of you ! 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulboyrecords said:

Want to sell it?

If you contact me with an address I will post it to you. No charge.

Maybe if you feel able make a donation to a charity. I would have probably donated it to our local air ambulance shop.

Dave Banks

• Up vote 2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Davebanks said:

If you contact me with an address I will post it to you. No charge.

Maybe if you feel able make a donation to a charity. I would have probably donated it to our local air ambulance shop.

Dave Banks

Very kind Dave. I've PM'd you 😁

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!