Whoever It Was Predicted Ebay Would Slow Down

Pete S

Can't find the thread but a couple of people were saying that they thought that because of the new charges, ebay would start to drop off. Well this weekend was totally useless, I think I won maybe 3 items as opposed to between 20 and 30 I usually win over a weekend. The quality of the records is now shocking, and there's just nothing to buy. Compared to usual. Is this because of the price hike or is it just the records running out?

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can't find the thread but a couple of people were saying that they thought that because of the new charges, ebay would start to drop off. Well this weekend was totally useless, I think I won maybe 3 items as opposed to between 20 and 30 I usually win over a weekend. The quality of the records is now shocking, and there's just nothing to buy. Compared to usual. Is this because of the price hike or is it just the records running out?

Think I was one of those that made a similar prediction. IMO the quality records will be available in far fewer quantity as people start to realise how much it costs to sell them and start to look for cheaper alternatives. The flipside is that it is actually far cheaper to list them now (list not sell) so the site will start to fill up with lots of stuff that is cheap/poor condition/rubbish as people don't mind paying just 5p if it doesn't sell and are pleased to get rid of them if they do.

I used to list anywhere between 50-100 records a week, a mix of cheap & rarer/better quality stuff. Won't be doing that anymore, instead I'm putting them on my website and just using eBay to move on stuff that I don't want to put on my site and the occasional few nice bits to keep a bit of cash flowing in. Pretty sure I'm not the only seller who is taking this approach....

Adam.

Social source share

But the only problem is - how do you get as many people who view your stuff on ebay, to view them on your website? And I've notices, if you add something onto your description such as "why not try my website at www.raresoul.co.uk" they then warn you that it is not site policy and make you remove it!!!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I noticed the same Pete as i normally am watching 50+ records all the time but im only watching about 20+ at the moment, Its shame as there are bargains galore on thier at times and compared to some of the dealers lists a lot cheaper to on occasions.

i suppose one better make sure one has all the mailing lists and websites of all dealers in ones PC,

What about a thread on here so all dealers etc can put their website address`s and email contacts up so everyone can have lists mailed out to them if they already aint done so yet.

Bearsy

Social source share

...or list the stuff on ebay.com (where the end result fees are lower) instead of ebay.co.uk?

As for a link from an eBay-listing to your webpage, make the link into a clickable image and don't actually write it in the item description. Don't know if this will work buy worth a try.

Social source share

I didn't really notice much different this weekend. I don't buy anything like the numbers you do,Pete but I got IMO 3 nice 45s in Mintish condition for just under £55 inc postage.

Renaldo Domino SMASH WDJ

Marvin Smith BRUNSWICK "Fading memories" YDJ

Superbs "....Buddy" DORE 704 DJ

I know they're not exactly the most in-demand titles around but again IMO they're quality records that are not readily available over here. Brownie's guide has them in total at £115 and JM's site has regular issues of Domino and Smith for £60 [plus postage] in total.

So don't think I'll be getting worried just yet. Still a good place to pick up nice 45s at a price probably cheaper than in the UK.

I was the only bidder on all these 45s. I have lost that Domino 45 before now for higher than the $19.99 I paid so from my perspective it looks like bidding is falling off.

ROD

Social source share

But the only problem is - how do you get as many people who view your stuff on ebay, to view them on your website? And I've notices, if you add something onto your description such as "why not try my website at www.raresoul.co.uk" they then warn you that it is not site policy and make you remove it!!!

As someone has mentioned you can put a link to your website in your 'About Me' page. In all onesty though you just will not get as much traffic to your site as eBay can bring you. However links on here, banner ads do work well and the £400 I was spending on ebay fees every month could buy a lot of online advertising. I'll be using some of that cash on google adwords once I've built the site up a bit more.

I did consider listing on .com instead but chances are they will just change the fees on there in a couple of months and I would be back to square one again! The other thing that most people have missed is the visibility issue. Until this month if you listed on .co.uk and offered worldwide postage then your items automatically appeared on the .com site as well, that no longer happens they now only appear on .co.uk and this has a massive impact on the number of people looking at your listings.

Maybe eBay will go back to their old fees/visibilty structure but I doubt it and I'm simply no longer willing to have my business rely so strongly on a third party who over the last few months have brought in severe changes and in the case of the visibilty issue with no warning at all.

Adam.

Social source share

As someone has mentioned you can put a link to your website in your 'About Me' page. In all onesty though you just will not get as much traffic to your site as eBay can bring you. However links on here, banner ads do work well and the £400 I was spending on ebay fees every month could buy a lot of online advertising. I'll be using some of that cash on google adwords once I've built the site up a bit more.

I did consider listing on .com instead but chances are they will just change the fees on there in a couple of months and I would be back to square one again! The other thing that most people have missed is the visibility issue. Until this month if you listed on .co.uk and offered worldwide postage then your items automatically appeared on the .com site as well, that no longer happens they now only appear on .co.uk and this has a massive impact on the number of people looking at your listings.

Maybe eBay will go back to their old fees/visibilty structure but I doubt it and I'm simply no longer willing to have my business rely so strongly on a third party who over the last few months have brought in severe changes and in the case of the visibilty issue with no warning at all.

Adam.

But I'm still seeing all UK entries on my search - it's on .com but has 'worldwide' ticked, I'm sure it's the same as it used to be

Social source share

But I'm still seeing all UK entries on my search - it's on .com but has 'worldwide' ticked, I'm sure it's the same as it used to be

What you're doing with worldwide ticked still works. BUT...you never used to have to tick the worldwide box UK listings just showed by default on .com, yes you can still see them by ticking the box but eBay hasn't actually told any of it's US users that they now need to do this to see items from outside of the US. You're a powerseller on eBay, spend ten minutes going through a couple of the threads on the Powerseller forum about these changes...will show you how it's impacting on .co.uk users.

Adam.

Social source share

It's about time we had an alternative to this. Numerous people have tried and either failed or it just hasn't caught on. The only person who would be able to do this is John Manship and I know he's thought about it because we briefly chatted about it but he has his hands full already so just hasn't got the time.

There is one other alternative and that's to incporporate it into this site but I would think the logistics of this make it impossible.

Social source share

What you're doing with worldwide ticked still works. BUT...you never used to have to tick the worldwide box UK listings just showed by default on .com, yes you can still see them by ticking the box but eBay hasn't actually told any of it's US users that they now need to do this to see items from outside of the US. You're a powerseller on eBay, spend ten minutes going through a couple of the threads on the Powerseller forum about these changes...will show you how it's impacting on .co.uk users.

Adam.

Adam, I didn't even know there was a powerseller forum! I don't read anything they send me. But I will go and have a look.

Social source share

Yes, you have to have "worldwide" ticked in on the left these days.

See this:

A search for "edward hamilton" without "worldwide" ticked in:

https://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...edward+hamilton

A search for "edward hamilton" with "worldwide" ticked in:

https://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...op=1%26fsoo%3D1

I missed a whole stack of things until I discovered this as I always make my searches on ebay.com.

Very annoying. :angry:

Social source share

Yes, you have to have "worldwide" ticked in on the left these days.

See this:

A search for "edward hamilton" without "worldwide" ticked in:

https://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...edward+hamilton

A search for "edward hamilton" with "worldwide" ticked in:

https://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...op=1%26fsoo%3D1

I missed a whole stack of things until I discovered this as I always make my searches on ebay.com.

Very annoying. :angry:

Most annoying thing is that they didn't even tell anyone they had made the changes!

Social source share

Most annoying thing is that they didn't even tell anyone they had made the changes!

I agree. It's really strange because the only ones losing out on not telling us, from a financial point of view at least, is eBay themselves because the items will sell cheaper and leave eBay with a lower amount of "fee money" to collect. And that goes against the very idea of capitalism and the "long tail" reasoning which eBay is built upon (i.e. make as many things as possible available to buy and help people find them).

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

I agree. It's really strange because the only ones losing out on not telling us, from a financial point of view at least, is eBay themselves because the items will sell cheaper and leave eBay with a lower amount of "fee money" to collect. And that goes against the very idea of captialism and the "long tail" reasoning which eBay is built upon (i.e. make as many things as possible available to buy and help people find them).

In January of this year 44% of the traffic to my eBay sales came from the .com site. Then they made the visibility changes at the start of tis month and now only 11.5% of my traffic came from .com a massive fall that also saw the number of visits to my items fall by over 60%

Adam.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

I still think there is an element of the supply of these records running out too, as i tried to imply in the 'ebay wtf' thread.

Let's face it these records were on the whole failures in a hit/financial sense & were not produced in large numbers or were recycled (or so we were led to belive). Again add to that a good percentage lost through wear & tare e.t.c over 40 years, & now add 5/6 years of strong ebay sales & i would imagine you would start to see the bottom of the container ?

Social source share

From the discussion group

'We understand that the recent visibility change wasn't good news for UK sellers. We made the change for the good of the wider global marketplace - it was the right business decision for us to make, and we had to put UK interests behind global ones.

We understand the feelings about this and expect criticism, but we completely draw the line at personal abuse or insult. It is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Cheers

Richard'

Social source share

From the discussion group

'We understand that the recent visibility change wasn't good news for UK sellers. We made the change for the good of the wider global marketplace - it was the right business decision for us to make, and we had to put UK interests behind global ones.

We understand the feelings about this and expect criticism, but we completely draw the line at personal abuse or insult. It is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Cheers

Richard'

You found the Powerseller board then!

That might as well read: 'Sorry but the americans can potentially earn us more money so as a result we've screwed the UK market to keep our american shareholders happy. Have a nice day.'

Social source share

It's about time we had an alternative to this. Numerous people have tried and either failed or it just hasn't caught on. The only person who would be able to do this is John Manship and I know he's thought about it because we briefly chatted about it but he has his hands full already so just hasn't got the time.

There is one other alternative and that's to incporporate it into this site but I would think the logistics of this make it impossible.

I've not read all this topic so apologies if already mentioned but Martin Thomson has a free (I think) alternative that he was talking of winding up due to lack of interest....

HERE

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

I've been off ebay the past few weeks since I'm moving, but I noticed the changes before I stopped.

As a buyer, I was cut off from half of the market (UK) until I redid my searches. I decided to bookmark the categories I look in for each country now. It's the only way I can guarantee I see what's out there. The checkboxes on the side are too easy to accidentaly click and screw up the results.

And a note on recycled records. It's common in Jamaica to recycle the vinyl. Most of the stuff recycled are the HITS! The records aren't just dumped into a vat, they are inspected and the "rare" ones usually end up on the market.

Social source share

E BAY AS A EVOLVING BUSINESS IS HUGE,Massive costs also,HOWEVER HOW DO POTENTIAL ALTERNATIVES SECURE ENOUGH CAPITAL AND KNOWLEDGE TO MAKE A REALISTIC BUSINESS CHALLENGE.

I USED TO SELL OPTIMISATION SOFTWARE BEFORE I WENT INTO BUSINESS TO GOOGLE AND BELIEVE ME THESE ONLINE GIANTS ARE WAY AHEAD OF THE GAME ,I THINK GENERALLY THE OLD LAWS OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND ARE IN APPLICATION HERE AND THEIR ARE SIMPLY MORE ONLINE INTERNATIONAL PURCHESERS,THIS COUPLED WITH A RUN ON OF ENGLISH BUYERS BEEN PRETTY SAVVY IN THIS MARKET PLACE ALSO ADDS TO A LITTLE SHRINKAGE AND THE FEES OFCOURSE .EBAY.COM IS ALSO HEAVILY REGULATED NOW AS ITS BUSINESS GROWS HENCE FEES GOING UP.

BAZ A.

Social source share

maybe sellers should start putting proper prices on discs and sell by set sales :no: many had it pretty good as far as e-bay concerned and the general price of records with many getting way above a realistic price for discs that aren't even mint in the past.

Social source share

I tend to only use .com due to time restrictions. I still find more to buy than what I can afford. Haven't realy noticed much difference.

I thought everybody used .com as the primary source ?

sometimes searches do redirect to .co.uk but hardly ever in my experience.

Social source share

Probably 80% of what i buy on ebay is from ebay shops at set sale prices. Takes a lot of searching but there are loads of reasonably priced ( some amazingly cheap) soul 45s out there.

Derek

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

EBAY.COM IS ALSO HEAVILY REGULATED NOW AS ITS BUSINESS GROWS HENCE FEES GOING UP.

BAZ A.

OKAY - HERES SOMETHING NO ONE HAS MENTIONED HERE - IN THAT CASE WHY HAVE THEY SELECTED ONLY A SMALL NUMBER OF CATEGORIES TO INCREASE FEES ON ?

ALL RECORDS AND CDS CLASSIFIED AS "COLLECTABLES" ON EBAY ?

ON WHAT BASIS CAN A CD THATS ALSO AVAILABLE IN WOOLWORTHS OR TESCOS TODAY, BE DESRIBED AS "A COLLECTABLE" WHEN LISTED ON EBAY SAME DAY ?

BY THE SAME METHOD AN MFI WARDROBE COULD BE CLASSIFIED AS AN ANTIQUE COULDNT IT ?

THINK ABOUT THAT ONE CAREFULLY AND LET ME KNOW IF ITS A FAIR COMMENT PLEASE.

Edited by MARTIN SNOW
Social source share

OKAY - HERES SOMETHING NO ONE HAS MENTIONED HERE - IN THAT CASE WHY HAVE THEY SELECTED ONLY A SMALL NUMBER OF CATEGORIES TO INCREASE FEES ON ?

ALL RECORDS AND CDS CLASSIFIED AS "COLLECTABLES" ON EBAY ?

ON WHAT BASIS CAN A CD THATS ALSO AVAILABLE IN WOOLWORTHS OR TESCOS TODAY, BE DESRIBED AS "A COLLECTABLE" WHEN LISTED ON EBAY SAME DAY ?

BY THE SAME METHOD AN MFI WARDROBE COULD BE CLASSIFIED AS AN ANTIQUE COULDNT IT ?

THINK ABOUT THAT ONE CAREFULLY AND LET ME KNOW IF ITS A FAIR COMMENT PLEASE.

Don't need to think about it, the answer is fairly obvious.

The categories selected for the new fees was 'Media' which includes CDs, DVDs and records. Important to note that they excluded 'Music Memorabilia' in the new structure. Quite simply eBay are losing out to Amazon (amongst others) on the sales of CDs & DVDs so they reduced listing fees to 5p-10p to encourage larger sellers to do bulk listings so that the choice available on these items rivals if not betters all the other online sellers. Large CD/DVD sellers are generally happy with the new structure because they have a low sale ratio, in effect they are happy to pay a very low list fee per item as it means they can list 1,000s of previously unprofitable lines. The savings on their listing fees more than makes up for the new 9% FVF.

The mistake that eBay have made is including records in th new structure, they specifically excluded 'Music Memorabilia' as they know that this is a 'collectables' market and as such sales prices are top end so sellers require low FVF but don't mind paying higher listing fees. What they failed to realise is that vinyl is also a 'collectables' market and the same rules should apply to this category as to the memorabilia category. Whether they will rectify this mistake I don't know (probably not knowing eBay!).

Adam.

EDIT:

The other major factor is that they want to drive the CD/DVDs categories to being brand new items on 'Buy It Now' whereas they realised that the memorabilia category is mainly auction driven.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I have not been on ebay lately so not sure on changes. but let's hope that it will still continue to have whatever sold on there. Just be a shame if less records listed due to new rules and stuff that has changed.

Social source share

I've not read all this topic so apologies if already mentioned but Martin Thomson has a free (I think) alternative that he was talking of winding up due to lack of interest....

HERE

cheers, Chalky, yes indeed, tis still there and working perfectly well - just needs people to use it.

I'm happy to give soul sourcers 100% free use of the site forever - just have to let me know and I will set it accordingly for them. Otherwise it is set up to charge a small closing fee only, but no fees for placing the listings up there unless you choose to put it as a featured home page listing etc. (To clarify, soul sourcers can have 100% free use though, including home page featured etc. - just drop me a pm)

martin

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Here's a suggestion, maybe soul source will/could adminstrate an ASP auction site for us, there are a number of companies out there offering this option. We could pay a monthly subscription which would cover the ASP fees, listing would be free, with small % commission charge payable to the soul source guys for the admin on successful sales. When I run soulbid through an ASP costs were roughly about £300 a month, not sure what they would be now, as this was a few years back. We would all have to boycott ebay and do the most amazing PR job to persuade non-soul source members selling and buying soul music to use the service, and with lots of luck we just might provide a valid alternative to ebay. Otherwise if we do nothing then I'm afraid the most we can do with regards ebay is moan about it on here for ever and a day. :lol:

Social source share

We have considered for a few years now to allow, general access to our auction so it runs daily, and you can add your records to it..but it's not a perfect world out there, we don't want any "rip-offs" or "mis-grading" or bootlegs sold as originals associated with the site.

We have come up with an idea that the "items" are put up by the seller, then mailed to us to varify and ensure it's authentic & exists. But then we imagine the potential work involved if thisreally takes off.

We are now receiving 10 million hits a month with 3500 unique visitors a day. So there's a base to work from.. We have just got to come up with the structure that eliminates or minimizes reputation problems.

I have a meeting soon with our Web designers, so maybe a few heads together we can come up with a system that works for all, but does not included dishonest or bad service or misgraded vinyl.

Then again I want to go fishing...

Social source share

I've been told ebay.com tried this approach in the USA already and 5 of their big listers removed all their items which cost them millions so they went and changed it back. Dont know if any of the big listers will do it here. I'm talking about guys who list 20,000+ items (pop / rock etc) Thats what it needs. ebay dont care about the punters its just how much they can earn. I know sometimes you can pick up a bargain on there but its fewer and fewer times. I've pretty much hated ebay from the start. Its strangling the record business (well any business really as you can buy anything on there)

Who even bothers to look at "about me" pages ? I never have (and I've got one). People need to use sites like Gemm.com / musicstack.com / netsounds.com more. I still reckon 50% of buyers out there don't even know about theses sites. If any of you decide to list on there put me down as a nominee as I get a small comission on recomendations. (Costs you nothing) Hipcity is my user name.

Cheers

Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert