ajb

• Replies 58
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

did bob relf (of bob and earl fame) ever record "my little girl" on a 45, and did earl nelson (same fame) record "would you believe" on 45

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

alan :thumbsup:

Bob and Earl band did,and so did Bobby Garrett....not sure about bob relf tho'

Bazza

Social source share

Guest mel brat

did bob relf (of bob and earl fame) ever record "my little girl" on a 45, and did earl nelson (same fame) record "would you believe" on 45

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

alan thumbsup.gif

I thought Bobby Garrett and Bob Relf were one and the same person! Anyway, "My Little Girl" came out as by Bobby Garrett on Mirwood. I think "Would You Believe" by Earl Nelson (aka Jackie Lee) had a 45 issue also, but not on Mirwood. (I've forgotten the actual label though! Crestview? - Any of the dealers/collectors on here will no doubt put me right soon enough!)

I believe the Sherlie Matthews was a "tailor made" side recorded for the Northern Soul market.

"My Little Girl" is one of my all-time five-star FAVES. Absolutely.

(and as for the instrumental version being "better" - Pah!) rolleyes.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

(and as for the instrumental version being "better" - Pah!) :thumbsup:

I think I must have heard the instrumental first ,cos after hearing it, the vocal versions just sound wrong, like they were tagged on as an after thought wink.gif

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest BCTRHYTHM

Did some investigating on Bob & Earl.

Supposedely the original Bob & Earl were Bobby Day,and Earl Nelson (aka Jackie Lee) who recorded for Class records in the late 50` early 60`s,also recorded as Earl Nelson & the Pelicans,Bobby Day & the Satellites,and as the Hollywood Flames,until Booby Day was replaced with Bob Relf,Harlem Shuffle etc,Bob Relf was then replaced in the mid sixties by Bobby Garrett,and they continued recording until the 1970`s,does read as if Bob Relf,& Bob Garrett were different people ? But it was definately Bob Relf who recorded ` my little girl` according to the 20 odd copies of the Bob & Earl LP i have.So why was the single credited to Bobby Garret if they werent the same person ?

Anyone any more info.

Bruce.

Social source share

Supposedely the original Bob & Earl were Bobby Day,and Earl Nelson (aka Jackie Lee) who recorded for Class records in the late 50` early 60`s,also recorded as Earl Nelson & the Pelicans,Bobby Day & the Satellites,and as the Hollywood Flames,until Booby Day was replaced with Bob Relf,Harlem Shuffle etc,Bob Relf was then replaced in the mid sixties by Bobby Garrett,and they continued recording until the 1970`s,does read as if Bob Relf,& Bob Garrett were different people ? But it was definately Bob Relf who recorded ` my little girl` according to the 20 odd copies of the Bob & Earl LP i have.So why was the single credited to Bobby Garret if they werent the same person ?

Anyone any more info.

Bruce.

was Bob Relf lead vocals on the Fidels - Try a little harder???

Social source share

Anyone any more info.

Bruce.

It's a minefeild and you could do worse than to purchase the two Mirwood Kent CD's for the story.

In short Bob Relf/ Bobby Garrett same person, and Earl Nelson/Jackie Lee same person and these two guys were Bob And Earl, but only in the later form when Bob Relf replaced Bobby Day (Pretty little Girl Next Door, Over & Over, Rockin Robin ect ect)

The Mirwood catalogue was also later released on Crestview albums and a few 45's and Jay Boy singles/albums and some of these versions are different to the Mirwood released versions. Hope that helps!

Social source share

It's a minefeild and you could do worse than to purchase the two Mirwood Kent CD's for the story.

In short Bob Relf/ Bobby Garrett same person, and Earl Nelson/Jackie Lee same person and these two guys were Bob And Earl, but only in the later form when Bob Relf replaced Bobby Day (Pretty little Girl Next Door, Over & Over, Rockin Robin ect ect)

The Mirwood catalogue was also later released on Crestview albums and a few 45's and Jay Boy singles/albums and some of these versions are different to the Mirwood released versions. Hope that helps!

He's got it, by George he's got it!

Social source share

adi can you shed any light on the JayBoy release of Harlem Shuffle by Bob and Earl, first time I played it I thought I had it on 78!! :thumbsup:

I've not got round to that one yet, it's probably the re-recorded LP version of the Marc recording done in a Mirwood/Duck style to cash in on either the Duck's hit status or the belated success of Harlem Shuffle in the UK in 1969. If it was the latter it would have come out on the Crestview subsid in the States

Social source share

Read the Kent/Mirwood sleevenotes... believe me that bloke Ady Croasdell deserves a medal for writing them. It's a nightmare living hell of a hellish living nightmarish hell I tell's ya.

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

She was but Simon Soussain who added the vocals was an unscrupulous man and tried to pass it off as an original but it wasn't and Sherlie says she knew nothing about it and it wasn't her singing.

Allright Ady

any ideas who it might be then....... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Inferno put out an album of Mirwood stuff (1984), the Sherlie Matthews track was on it, even a picture of her on the cover....on the sleeve it states 'All Original Mirwood Recordings'....... :lol:

Yes but Simon was very slippery and you shouldn't believe half of what he claimed. The musical backing track was of course Mirwoods but not the added vocal. Neil Rushton who put it out posts on here so he could tell us a bit more.

I'm not sure who it was Mel, probably one of the Sharonettes (that name doesn't look right unless they were from Essex) who he was working with at the time. I will ask Sherlie again though.

Social source share

Okay Mr C, since you are here can you confirm the existence of the following Bob & Earl on Loma, in all my years of collecting the label never seen it and put it up on various sites and nothing returned,

Loma 2004 - Bob & Earl - Everybody Jerk / Just One Look In Your Eyes - 1964

Have you seen it? If so do you know if it is same B&E and is it any good, if anyone else knowns and even better has a copy for sale let me know, need it in another crazy completist sort of way.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Any chance of a scan of the cover to see which photo it was?

Not so much a photo Ady...a drawing, she's wearing a sequined dress....maybe it's not her, something in the back of my tiny brain is telling me that i've seen the picture before and that it is her, presume it was drawn from an actual photo. Can't scan as my scanner packed up...will try and find it on the net ok.

Social source share

The album (which I don't have to hand right now) has a not that great drawing of a general Black person on the cover, of the type beloved by some Soul and R&B fanzines in the pre scanner/ internet and in a lot of cases, photo days (I think we should post some of them up in a 'Hall of Shame !) and I can understand why you might assume it was Shirl, but then again I could understand why you might assume it wasn't.

Listen to the track. The vocal sits 'on top' of the backing and is not part of it. Isn't there a "Cassettia George" like it too?

Social source share

Okay Mr C, since you are here can you confirm the existence of the following Bob & Earl on Loma, in all my years of collecting the label never seen it and put it up on various sites and nothing returned,

Loma 2004 - Bob & Earl - Everybody Jerk / Just One Look In Your Eyes - 1964

Have you seen it? If so do you know if it is same B&E and is it any good, if anyone else knowns and even better has a copy for sale let me know, need it in another crazy completist sort of way.

Cheers

Jock

Was it released on Warner Brothers, Loma's parent label?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I've not got round to that one yet, it's probably the re-recorded LP version of the Marc recording done in a Mirwood/Duck style to cash in on either the Duck's hit status or the belated success of Harlem Shuffle in the UK in 1969. If it was the latter it would have come out on the Crestview subsid in the States

Yes, that's probably the recording off the UK album on B&C then - re-issued on JOY, a Jay Boy album subsidiary, C.1971. I'm writing this from memory so bear with me, as I haven't heard the Jay Boy version of "Harlem Shuffle" since it came out(!),

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Was it released on Warner Brothers, Loma's parent label?

Not sure Simon, I have only seen it on Loma listings, I have collected the label so to be honest only reason I have looked out for it, to be honest would probably pass it by on another label!!

Cmon Mr C, or Mr Rounce surely you can tell me!!

Social source share

This off the UK Album This is Loma Vol 1. Just sold my single on UK Warner Brothers.

The credits are (Smith-Hammond-Relf-Nelson-Krasnow) Prod by Fred Smith Oct 1964

Still had the photo,UK release 1969 obviously to cash in on success of Harlem Shuffle.

Paul

Oops should have read the whole thread, 1964 would tie in with the Loma date, dont think I have that Loma album unfortunately, so looks probable on a Loma single, any further evidence gentleman??

Social source share

Yes, that's probably the recording off the UK album on B&C then - re-issued on JOY, a Jay Boy album subsidiary, C.1971. I'm writing this from memory so bear with me, as I haven't heard the Jay Boy version of "Harlem Shuffle" since it came out(!),

Just checked, it wasn't on the B&C album, but was on Keep The Faith Vol 3 which was on JOY

Paul

Social source share

Oops should have read the whole thread, 1964 would tie in with the Loma date, dont think I have that Loma album unfortunately, so looks probable on a Loma single, any further evidence gentleman??

I don't have any of my albums to hand, but the flip of the UK Warners 'Everybody Jerk'

is 'He's A Playbrother' but from memory 'Everybody Jerk' is the same version as the one on the 'This Is Loma' LP. Maybe theres a US Warners 45 release?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Just checked, it wasn't on the B&C album, but was on Keep The Faith Vol 3 which was on JOY

Paul

Sorry! Well is there a faster version of "Harlem Shuffle" on Jackie Lee's "The Duck" album then? I KNOW I've got it on some LP or other! :lol:

Perhaps I was getting mixed up with "My Little Girl" which IS on the B&C album for sure!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

We had a crack at a Jackie Lee discography >>> here

If anyone can add anything it would be a great help.

Social source share

Great thread about two guys who on their own and together produced some of the finest 'Northern' Soul ever recorded. I saw them at Preston Top Rank in about 1969 and they were simply too cool for words. A law should be passed making it a crime not to have their picture on every flyer.

Temptation Walk is atune I never fail to get a buzz from.

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

My sadly departed buddy Pete Lawson did an in-depth review on Bob and Earl and I still have it.....theres some nice info in it.

Social source share

it was the bob and earl B&C RECORDS album that got me asking the question in the first place. i bought a copy the other day from a second hand shop for £2.50 yes.gif

when i played it, i was just blown away by "my little girl"

along with a few of the tracks, i gotta say this is a cracking slice of old school "northern soul"

best couple of quid i've spent for a while yes.gif

alan

Social source share

Great thread about two guys who on their own and together produced some of the finest 'Northern' Soul ever recorded. I saw them at Preston Top Rank in about 1969 and they were simply too cool for words. A law should be passed making it a crime not to have their picture on every flyer.

Temptation Walk is atune I never fail to get a buzz from.

I'm really jealous. Bob and Earl are my top wish list live act to see. Too late now.

Social source share

I'm sure it will be the same Bob & Earl Jock but I don't remember that flip title, I'll look around.

Are you saying you haven't seen it? No-one has come back and said they have seen this, which for such a lable and such an artist does make me question its existence on this label!

Social source share

I'm sure I sent some additions a long while back Dave?

Are they in this listing ? If not I didn't receive them (and to be honest I don't remember receiving them because I'm usually meticulous about crediting anyone who has added to a discog.

Can you send them again please.

ta.

Social source share

Hello,

As has been said, Bob Relf (real name Robert Nelson Relf) and Bobby Garrett are one and the same person but Bob couldn't recall who decided to use the name "Garrett" instead of "Relf" on his "Big Brother" / "My Little Girl" single.

He did confirm, however, that he had nothing to do with the 1975 re-recording of "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" which Simon Soussan credited to an imposter named "Bob Relf".

Bob has been a client of ours for a few years. He's a wonderful man but, sadly, he has been very ill for some time.

Say a prayer for him next time you play one of his tracks.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

...Bob has been a client of ours for a few years. He's a wonderful man but, sadly, he has been very ill for some time.

Say a prayer for him next time you play one of his tracks.

I should have also mentioned that Earl Nelson (Jackie Lee) isn't doing very well either. He is suffering from dementia and is living in a home in Los Angeles.

If anyone would like to send a card to Earl you can do so c/o Millbrand, PO Box 357, Middlesbrough TS1 4WZ. I'm sure it would cheer him up ...and the same applies to Bob Relf, of course.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

Guest mel brat

it was the bob and earl B&C RECORDS album that got me asking the question in the first place. i bought a copy the other day from a second hand shop for £2.50 :lol:

when i played it, i was just blown away by "my little girl"

along with a few of the tracks, i gotta say this is a cracking slice of old school "northern soul"

best couple of quid i've spent for a while :thumbsup:

alan

Yes, "My Little Girl" is certainly "old school" Northern alright! As I said, I love it to bits! That intro alone is enough to get me up and running for the dancefloor before I remember that it almost killed me last time I danced to it, about 3 or four months ago!

(I now painfully acknowledge that I'm no longer 18 years old!) :D

I'm intrigued by whether Bob Relf sang lead on the Fi-Dels' "Try A Little Harder", as I'd never heard this question put before. (He wrote the song if I remember correctly) If so, that makes THREE of my all time fave Northern sides sung by Bob Relf/Bobby Garrett! (The other being "Blowing My Mind To Pieces"!)

As for Jackie Lee, his recordings of "Darkest Days" and "Oh, My Darlin" alone have surely made him immortal in the UK, and rightly so. Right On!, the North, for uncovering these gems!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert