Wilton Quiet Why?

why does the wilton seem to yo yo in numbers these days, packed for anniversary then empty this time, everyone going early!!!! does a fucking free badge do the trick or what? magic venue , great djs , i just dont know, is there some politics going on ,this southern boy dont know about! had a good night anyway and met PAUL BRENNAN PAUL HUNTER AND IAN CUNLIFFE FORMALLY ALL IN ONE NIGHT even though i had spoke to all 3 previusly but didnt know there names!!! also did some trades with DAZ at spondon including a record we had been negotiating on here and only realised who he was when he messaged me after, SMALL WORLD IS RIGHT MATE!!! nice to cu all guys! ez

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Trevski

Can't work that one out either Ezzie.

Great venue, good line up, Sam, Arthur, etc all played some cracking soul vinyl, so what the f**k is up with folk?? Seems from other threads that it wasn't only the Wilton suffering this week. Is it because we are all getting on a bit, and instead of staying out all nite, some folk are thinking "It's bank holiday, lets go to the seaside/caravan/in-laws??" Sad, sad, sad! Looks like Steam is R.I.P. If people dont get off their arses, there will be no venues left (except the 'oldies ones' and less said about them the better) Then they will be moaning "There's no-where to go! :D

Great venue, good line up, Sam, Arthur, etc all played some cracking soul vinyl, so what the f**k is up with folk?? Seems from other threads that it wasn't only the Wilton suffering this week. Is it because we are all getting on a bit, and instead of staying out all nite, some folk are thinking "It's bank holiday, lets go to the seaside/caravan/in-laws??" Sad, sad, sad! Looks like Steam is R.I.P. If people dont get off their arses, there will be no venues left (except the 'oldies ones' and less said about them the better) Then they will be moaning "There's no-where to go! :D

Sikc of getting of me arse,Trevski.............i try to do as the others,stay in or go to something round London,oh! it cant be the lakc of promotion by any chance :wicked: .At one time wiltoners which i include myself used to go allover the place and had some top times,but hey if nobody can be bothered too get off there arses,if you cant beat em`join em`.

Edited by ken

yeah mate, steam discussion same thing,i did 400 miles on friday and the locals all went home early!!!!!! they will cry like f*** when it closes, the yorks/lancs crowd are spoilt for choice i think, last wilton there was a do 2 miles from my home 300+ in, know um all, but music? heard it all before, so in the car and off i went up to witon, they think im mad, but i know otherwise! cheers buddie

Hi Trev

I've not been able to get to Wilton for ages but I know what you mean. I used to enjoy going as a punter and enjoyed playing there also. Always a great crowd. Would like to have gone on friday but had a driving lesson on sat morning. I don't understand why a great line up stops people turning up.

I know I'm biased as I play at Steam but I just can't understand why people don't go there. Some of the things Alex , Des, Beggsy etc play you can't hear anywhere else unless they are on! People use the thing that the venue isn't right etc etc but isn't it all about the music!?! Fleetwood weekender the best music was in a TENT!!!!!

I think soon the forward thinking scene will be gone and it will be just oldies,oldies oldies......

Perhaps we need city centre venues where people come in off the street and enjoy themselves.........

Or in peoples front rooms at a house party........................

Take it easy

Phil

Guest Trevski

Sikc of getting of me arse,Trevski.............i try to do as the others,stay in or go to something round London,oh! it cant be the lakc of promotion by any chance :D .At one time wiltoners which i include myself used to go allover the place and had some top times,but hey if nobody can be bothered too get off there arses,if you cant beat em`join em`.

A rare occurence Trevski knocks the Wilton! Here goes... I totaly agree Ken lack of promotion! The Wilton's promotion is pathetic! I tell 'em this and the fact that the flyers need to be out there! Had this discussion the other day too, that is we on here seem to think the NS world revolves around SS! What we say and do on here, and what we promote, push, discuss don't amount (puts on Humphrey Bogart voice) "To a hill of beans in this world" Promotion for the Wilton needs to go beyond Kirsty, bless her, starting a 'who's going' thread the week before, and Jerry, forgetting to take the flyers to Burnley, :wicked: Need new, eye catching flyers too. Ok rant over.

I'm as guilty as the rest, getting off the arse wise, never been to Steam, etc but I do get out almost every weekend somewhere, can't do 'em all at once, I suppose!

Edited by Trevski
Guest kid mohair

Well personaly speaking sometimes you have to take a breather, we hammerd it for months, fridays, saturdays, niters, dayers not to mention weekenders and at the moment, select places to go rather than go because they play northern soul and traveling means absoloutly nothing to me, like most people, hours in a car for a top niter pays off..... then everybody has different opinions so what do i know. :D

trevski, what about wilton promoters and there links with soul up north? same thing , they seem to think a venue report in the mag is all they need! but there just talking to the same folk all the time, bless um,i mean howard, boxy, craig ,colin and shirl etc. [even my mate brad dont come any more]

SUPPORTED THE WILTON FROM DAY ONE ,COULD NOT MAKE FRIDAYS ,SIMPLY TOO TIRED FROM WORK AND OTHER COMMITTMENTS. THE PLACE HAS NEVER BEEN WELL ADVERTISED WHICH IS A BLOODY SHAME COS ITS SUCH A LAID BACK LAUGH AND OFCOURSE THE MUSIC POLICY IS SECOND TO NONE.

WE FROM THE NORTH EAST HAVE OUR LITTLE PLACE IE NEAR THE REAR END OF THE BAR AS YOU COME IN AND WOULD LIKE TO THINK IT IS OUR OWN LOL.WE ARE USUALLY GOOD FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF CARS ,CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR MYSELF RE FRIDAY JUST FEEL THAT I NEED A BIT OF A BREAK TO RECHARGE BUT AS A VENUE TOTAL SUPPORT AND WILL HOPEFULLY BE AT THE NEXT ONE.

BAZ A.

Guest Baz

I love the wilton as a venue, but find as a all nighter it never really gets going, its great for a social and a laugh, and to dance to the odd tune, but it is just that, i've not been to one yet when it really flys there can be too much mid tempo and seventys played which i think kills the atmosphere! take the Anniversery just gone, it took ages to get going untill Saus came on a bang you had an atmospheric all nighter on your hands, but was soon cut short.

Think the lads could definately prosper from getting together and sorting out a game plan :D

A rare occurence Trevski knocks the Wilton! Here goes... I totaly agree Ken lack of promotion! The Wilton's promotion is pathetic! I tell 'em this and the fact that the flyers need to be out there! Had this discussion the other day too, that is we on here seem to think the NS world revolves around SS! What we say and do on here, and what we promote, push, discuss don't amount (puts on Humphrey Bogart voice) "To a hill of beans in this world" Promotion for the Wilton needs to go beyond Kirsty, bless her, starting a 'who's going' thread the week before, and Jerry, forgetting to take the flyers to Burnley, :D Need new, eye catching flyers too. Ok rant over.

I'm as guilty as the rest, getting off the arse wise, never been to Steam, etc but I do get out almost every weekend somewhere, can't do 'em all at once, I suppose!

The promotion might not be what it should be but I personally hear far too many complaints about the music. I keep reading on here it's second to none but when I talk to people all I hear is there's too much mid-tempo and 70's crossover and I have to agree. The only time I saw the floor full for any length of time is when Bob Hinsley did his set, which by coincidence consisted mostly of 60's dancers.

The music played might be great soul (and I personally love mid tempo and crossover) but it isn't what I want to hear at an allnighter. What's wrong with stompers, uptempo Northern Soul? After all there are plenty who go to all-nighters to dance not listen to lounge music.

Most know when the Wilton is but granted a bit more flyering etc wouldn't go amiss but for me it's the music policy that needs sorting. I don't like to criticise anyones efforts at promoting a venue and I know what Mouse, John, Dave and Jerry do for the Wilton but I'd hate to see the Wilton close it's door to Noprthern Soul, it is probably the best venue in the country and when it does get the music right there ain't many places better. But for the last couple of years there has been too much emphasis on mid tempo and crossover.

The promotion might not be what it should be but I personally hear far too many complaints about the music. I keep reading on here it's second to none but when I talk to people all I hear is there's too much mid-tempo and 70's crossover and I have to agree. The only time I saw the floor full for any length of time is when Bob Hinsley did his set, which by coincidence consisted mostly of 60's dancers.

The music played might be great soul (and I personally love mid tempo and crossover) but it isn't what I want to hear at an allnighter. What's wrong with stompers, uptempo Northern Soul? After all there are plenty who go to all-nighters to dance not listen to lounge music.

Most know when the Wilton is but granted a bit more flyering etc wouldn't go amiss but for me it's the music policy that needs sorting. I don't like to criticise anyones efforts at promoting a venue and I know what Mouse, John, Dave and Jerry do for the Wilton but I'd hate to see the Wilton close it's door to Noprthern Soul, it is probably the best venue in the country and when it does get the music right there ain't many places better. But for the last couple of years there has been too much emphasis on mid tempo and crossover.

Agree with this 100%...

Last year I stopped going for around 12 months and have only just started going again... and to be honest a lot of what was played Friday didn't cut the mustard for me.

Burnley the week before had at least double the amount of people in and was mainly uptempo 60s with the odd midtempo track thrown in... much better to my ears and no doubt to many more.

Guest Baz

My sentiments exactly i too love mid tempo and a bit of crossover dont need to banish them completely just mix it up a bit more, all IMO obviously

Oh and above,good post Chalky.

Guest ZTSC

SUPPORTED THE WILTON FROM DAY ONE ,COULD NOT MAKE FRIDAYS ,SIMPLY TOO TIRED FROM WORK AND OTHER COMMITTMENTS. THE PLACE HAS NEVER BEEN WELL ADVERTISED WHICH IS A BLOODY SHAME COS ITS SUCH A LAID BACK LAUGH AND OFCOURSE THE MUSIC POLICY IS SECOND TO NONE.

WE FROM THE NORTH EAST HAVE OUR LITTLE PLACE IE NEAR THE REAR END OF THE BAR AS YOU COME IN AND WOULD LIKE TO THINK IT IS OUR OWN LOL.WE ARE USUALLY GOOD FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF CARS ,CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR MYSELF RE FRIDAY JUST FEEL THAT I NEED A BIT OF A BREAK TO RECHARGE BUT AS A VENUE TOTAL SUPPORT AND WILL HOPEFULLY BE AT THE NEXT ONE.

BAZ A.

This weekend was unique for the north east contingent who were either working, on holiday or in hospital ! (it's true )

Tell you what though - I found out that there is other stuff to do on the first Friday of the month (but nowhere near as good fun as the Wilton )

Wait till the next one , I'll make sure it's not a quiet one :shades:

It's pretty straight forward to sort the problem , it needs 3 solid resident upfront 60's+70's dj's who can dj properly to the always accepting wilton crowd who i have to add are amongst the best on the scene and usually very supportive to imo one of the top 3 venues of all time.also of course the original programme of collectors to complement the the night ! .....

Guest ShaneH

not been much the past year. i think i only missed one in the 5 years previous.

never understood why they opened the curtains to extend the size of the venue. i always thought that was a bad move as i believe you should grow into a venue. i much preferred it before as the place seemed less empty and more atmospheric.

which venues are doing well these days though? i dont think its just a case of too many venues or mis-guided playlists - people just dont go out as much these days.

the promotion of the wilton as always been legendary low-key and a certain of arrogance of 'they will come regardless' has not helped. its a tough market out there and you have to maintain quality throughout to ensure the numbers are healthy.

i will be back soon and i wish it all the best.

shane

Heard numbers down, as I didn't go can't comment on the night. Intended to go, but decided to take car through Sainsbury's car wash at tea time and found to my horror it had scratched all the paintwork on bonnet, both sides of car and boot, by the time I'd sorted it out time was getting on and ended up not going.

Karen

why does the wilton seem to yo yo in numbers these days, packed for anniversary then empty this time, everyone going early!!!! does a fucking free badge do the trick or what? magic venue , great djs , i just dont know, is there some politics going on ,this southern boy dont know about! had a good night anyway and met PAUL BRENNAN PAUL HUNTER AND IAN CUNLIFFE FORMALLY ALL IN ONE NIGHT even though i had spoke to all 3 previusly but didnt know there names!!!

============================================================================

It was a pleasure to talk to you again... Great nite just a pity it was,nt packed to the rafters but still enjoyed myself

it defo needs the screen pulling back across the room like it used to be creating better feel to the venue

like Andy Dyson mentioned it needs a couple of resident DJ,s who have the records to make Soulies wanna travel on a Friday nite

to Yorkshire...What i dont agree with is people knocking the promoters both Mouse n Dave Box have put a hell off a lot

of time n effort into the Soul scene over the years both guys are suffering from ill health and still find the time to put on

a great nite for us even tho they are,nt well and deserve the upmost respect for doin so, not many venues have run as long

as the Wilton so something must be right its up to us to support Mouse n Boxy by helping them promote it, i have given flyers out in the past at Lowton ect ect if anyone needs some to give out i,m sure the guys will post some out for you ..just make sure they

get out around the venues and not left at home ...

Regards Ian Cunliffe

I've only been once and that was to the 14th anniversary a month or so back....thanks for the badge! I thought the venue was first class although a bit of a pain to get to for me. The dance floor is great and the sound system seemed well sorted. What chalky has said about the music rings true for my one off. I did say I would come again and I will and this time I'll know that the bar shuts at 2am.

M

Guest Baz

It was a pleasure to talk to you again... Great nite just a pity it was,nt packed to the rafters but still enjoyed myself

it defo needs the screen pulling back across the room like it used to be creating better feel to the venue

like Andy Dyson mentioned it needs a couple of resident DJ,s who have the records to make Soulies wanna travel on a Friday nite

to Yorkshire...What i dont agree with is people knocking the promoters both Mouse n Dave Box have put a hell off a lot

of time n effort into the Soul scene over the years both guys are suffering from ill health and still find the time to put on

a great nite for us even tho they are,nt well and deserve the upmost respect for doin so, not many venues have run as long

as the Wilton so something must be right its up to us to support Mouse n Boxy by helping them promote it, i have given flyers out in the past at Lowton ect ect if anyone needs some to give out i,m sure the guys will post some out for you ..just make sure they

get out around the venues and not left at home ...

Regards Ian Cunliffe

No ones knocking them at all, most of the people who have replied are wilton people, noboy wants to see the night fail, hence they have put forwards constructive thoughts as to why, and most of the people are saying more or less the same.

I love the wilton and dont want to see it go down the closing route due to failing numbers, but you have to ask why is that?

Had a good time there in January so arrived a bit late in good mood, but a few - its really quiet tonight sad faces + a struggling dancefloor freaked me out a bit so must admit i didnt really enjoy Friday. Its never fun when losing numbers when we had the latest Real Side in Gothenburg last hour it was 3 pissheads bouncing to the walls from what use to be 200 partygoin people .

Problem here is not the same and by far not as bad imo. its just the same boring to say but sadly true fact its too much on to have every place buzzing. Was about to go to Steam Sat but carlift wanted to go to Marss Bar (had a good night there) . If there is a choice b-ween 2 allnighters Sat + other clubs + sev a-nighters every weekend its not hard too see why it isnt packed everywhere. Agree with Shanes comment reg the curtains (think it was the same last time for me though) its a bit big brother dancefloor if place isnt numbered up.

Hopefully next ones goes better.

I think the main reason for lack of numbers is simply down to Bank Holiday, people need to spend time tending gardens, maintaining their homes, seeing grand children etc and these are the last thing on your mind after a niter, so with a few days I think this is what happens. :ohmy:

Wilton has always seem to have an up & down attendance to me & a large exodus around 4ish, it`s just more noticable when numbers are low & as for promoting I tell all & sundry how good it is,when it`s on & how to get there & theres other sources like S.S. that help, besides flyers.

Anyway we enjoy it full or not. :ohmy:

Take care & be safe.

Spot. shades.gif

well at leasrt we got mainly positive thoughts and ideas which was what i wanted really i would never put the lads down ,they all know i love the place, general consensus is that its alwyas been harder for a friday niter and with all the competition now its just tougher, andy d has a valid point in that many people only follow so called big names and the wilto always had at least one every month, not to say the line up sat was not excellent, which it was!!!! just wish more were there to share it! ez

Agree with this 100%...

Last year I stopped going for around 12 months and have only just started going again... and to be honest a lot of what was played Friday didn't cut the mustard for me.

Burnley the week before had at least double the amount of people in and was mainly uptempo 60s with the odd midtempo track thrown in... much better to my ears and no doubt to many more.

I agree also,i really want to like this place,for dancing reasons,but generaly go just to see friends.

Guest Paul Brennan

I agree also,i really want to like this place,for dancing reasons,but generaly go just to see friends.

I had a good time and enjoyed myself as I always do at the Wilton.

But agree With Stevie's comments and others with regards to it being more of a social gathering for a chinwag, rather than a storming niter. However as Trevski said in build up to nite, the next ones always different so here's hoping all the old faces turn out and we will tear the roof the sucker next time.

Was very nice to meet up with Ezzie Brown, great lad (and to travel up from Gloucester regularly, you have my respect :shades: sir)

Trevski massive thank you for the cd, have been giving some hammer at top volume, bit taken aback though when neighbours called round and Quoted you "Awon, two, awon two three four" laugh.gif:D:wicked:

Much love to all

See you at the next one

Paul

Guest Paul Brennan

Just re-read this thread and what comes across is the genuine concern from many respected people about the Wilton's future. Within the comments also comes a lot of constructive and sound advice from soulies who know the score and logical observations from Spot regards the bank holiday date.

Next one will be bouncing, guarenteed. :)

Paul

Guest Roddy

Sorry to hear the numbers were down.

I've travelled down from Scotland a few times to Wilton always had a good time and enjoyed the music and met some really top people but when we have tried to get others in Scotland to go the concensus is that people would rather attendend local oldies/modern nights.

An unfortunate fact about todays scene is that the willingness to travel is gone from all but a few die hard pockets round the country.

Added to which we are spoiled for choice If for example I want to attend the nesu events,Wilton,Lifeline and the 100club/Jacks a few times not to mention Cleethorpes and Bridlington Weekenders as well as supporting choice Scottish dos it dosent leave a lot of time for familly.

But best of luck and Melv and I will return soon.

I had a good time and enjoyed myself as I always do at the Wilton.

But agree With Stevie's comments and others with regards to it being more of a social gathering for a chinwag, rather than a storming niter. However as Trevski said in build up to nite, the next ones always different so here's hoping all the old faces turn out and we will tear the roof the sucker next time.

Was very nice to meet up with Ezzie Brown, great lad (and to travel up from Gloucester regularly, you have my respect :thumbsup: sir)

Trevski massive thank you for the cd, have been giving some hammer at top volume, bit taken aback though when neighbours called round and Quoted you "Awon, two, awon two three four" :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Much love to all

See you at the next one

Paul

thanks paul, i wish it was a bit nearer tho, got home about 10 last time after dropping greener off,so was out a total of17+ hours on a friday !!! hard work,just wish i had something to keep me awake!!!!

Source Advert