Rare 45s

Guest Lady Maverick

Guest Lady Maverick

Now that I have finished my move...a question...and please move to the right thread if it's in the wrong place.

Has there been any other ultra-rare records that folk has paid high amounts for besides Frank Wilson's DO I LOVE YOU...or was that the rarest one ever?

Thank you!

Social source share

• Replies 242
  • Views 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Now that I have finished my move...a question...and please move to the right thread if it's in the wrong place.

Has there been any other ultra-rare records that folk has paid high amounts for besides Frank Wilson's DO I LOVE YOU...or was that the rarest one ever?

Thank you!

There are plenty of records at least as rare as Frank Wilson, if not rarer; as for prices at the high end they tend to be kept low key rather than "blagged" about. This in turn leads to wide speculation and incorrect guessing. One record I've heard involving a top northern DJ recently has stories ranging from 3k to 12k for example, and I really have no idea which is correct. Anyway, some food for thought.....

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Thank you!

I supose it also depends on when they were bought. For example, when Dave Withers paid £175 for James Fountain's "Seven day lover" back in the 70's it was the most anyone had paid for a rare soul record. Seems like peanuts now, but at the time is was a large sum.... :thumbsup: In todays world that probably equates to over 4K.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Thank you!

Not many of these ever turned up.....

post-1832-1180630272_thumb.jpg

Social source share

great tune yes

but not really THAT rare

quite a few copies in collections and now and again on ebay

so its not really a

BIG RARITY like the £1K plus numbers..but bloody good all the same

Yes, I know that it isn't one of the big rarities, but it can be a Minefield.

A big rarity could be a DEMO where the Stock Copy is easy to find, or Stock Copy where the DEMO is easier to find.

One recent case was Ric-Tic RT-122 on a White DEMO, Incredibly RARE, The only one that I have seen, and yet it only fetched £82 at Auction. >>> LINK <<<

Not really Mavericks Original Question I know, because the question was Intended for Big money records.

Sometimes though RARE doesn't necessarily equate to Value. Anyway back to the Big Money Rarities. :thumbsup:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Thank you!

What about "the van dellos " I need you on Card or "the perfections " so lonely on Big B. 2 big money records (about 800 quid each) and I cant sell either of them :thumbsup:

Social source share

What about "the van dellos " I need you on Card or "the perfections " so lonely on Big B. 2 big money records (about 800 quid each) and I cant sell either of them :ohmy:

thats coz their crap mark lad....you never did have an ear for music :thumbsup:

Social source share

what about these m-o-n-s-t-e-r-s----all on my wants if i won lottery

all close or over a grand/mostly

sandy golden---your love is everything

esther grant--lets make the most out of love

young brothers---whats her name/baby

chris jackson---without a doubt---acetate only

court davis---try to think

cam aros---were not to young

lynn .....i got a good thing goin--lasalle

Social source share

thats coz their crap mark lad....you never did have an ear for music :lol:

and that commin from you with 2 left feet and deaf as a post.

What you know I could write on the back of a stamp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :P:thumbsup::ohmy::D:wicked::wub::boxing::boxing:

Social source share

There can't be more than 1 or 2 copies of Margaret Little on Genebro - surely this must be in the same rarity and price league as the Mello Souls or Don Gardner?

3 'known' now gene - but not bought for the same price as the last DG, and if mello souls came for sale, gawd knows what that would fetch

Social source share

3 'known' now gene - but not bought for the same price as the last DG, and if mello souls came for sale, gawd knows what that would fetch

Margaret Little

Well, two already in the UK before that one cartain Detroit seller had two people coming in his shop day after day each with a copy of said title. We all know that they ended up on ebay (the same week even, wasn`t it?). So probably four plus copies now.

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Margaret Little

Well, two already in the UK before that one cartain Detroit seller had two people coming in his shop day after day each with a copy of said title. We all know that they ended up on ebay (the same week even, wasn`t it?). So probably four plus copies now.

Marc

hi Marc - i didnt know of a fourth+ (heard the rumour though lol) - Sam, Mick and Mark Speakman - do you know who got the 4th or even 5th?

Social source share

and that commin from you with 2 left feet and deaf as a post.

What you know I could write on the back of a stamp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :P:ohmy::D:wicked::wub::boxing::boxing::lol:

do they have stamps in denmark?? :thumbsup:

thought your rarities stretched to dobie gray and al wilson son :P

Social source share

I think Tim Borwn had the only copy until one (beatin) copy showed up on ebay some years ago ?

Marc

Adam had that copy originally I believe, early eighties. Offered him a Fairmount copy and a bit of cash, but he wouldn't part with it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Uh, didn`t realize that...on his website, list or ebay ?

Marc

He owned one, there is a scan of his copy on his website, I don't know what the status of it is, you can ask him.

not as cool, but I got the combinations 'whatcha gonna do' recently, I've never seen a copy of that (or the CODs) publicly for sale anytime recently.

Social source share

hi Marc - i didnt know of a fourth+ (heard the rumour though lol) - Sam, Mick and Mark Speakman - do you know who got the 4th or even 5th?

Well I do know that Arthur is playing it at the moment...and I always thought Butch had one too although he isn`t playing it (but that does nth say with that man LOL!)

Marc

Social source share

Was it really around 7000 ? Could well have been seven years though (my oh my time is flying by..)

Marc

i am sure ($ not $), though could be wrong!!, it went for that much cos i remember saying at the time it would beat the most expensive NS record on ebay

Social source share

Well I do know that Arthur is playing it at the moment...and I always thought Butch had one too although he isn`t playing it (but that does nth say with that man LOL!)

Marc

well Arthur would be four for sure then - sure if butch had it he would play it...???

Social source share

well Arthur would be four for sure then - sure if butch had it he would play it...???

I could be well wrong with that thought but as I said I always thought he has got it. But having said that he`s got so many blinding things that he is not (yet?) playing it could well be that he is also not playing "his" Genebro 45. Who knows.

Marc

Social source share

what about these m-o-n-s-t-e-r-s----all on my wants if i won lottery

all close or over a grand/mostly

sandy golden---your love is everything

esther grant--lets make the most out of love

young brothers---whats her name/baby

chris jackson---without a doubt---acetate only

court davis---try to think

cam aros---were not to young

lynn .....i got a good thing goin--lasalle

esther grant!!!!,surely the most underated sound of all time.It's a one-off i believe,in Butch's capable hands :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

thought it was Ian Dewhirst?

Me remembering wrong! It was Dave Withers telling the story on the old Wigan documentary!

Can't remember who it actually was then!

Social source share

I could be well wrong with that thought but as I said I always thought he has got it. But having said that he`s got so many blinding things that he is not (yet?) playing it could well be that he is also not playing "his" Genebro 45. Who knows.

Marc

hear what you are saying marc. but i dont think he has it.

Social source share

don gardner,"cheating kind",sedgrick 3001 is big bucks how many originals of this tune ?? cant stand the record myself but as you know its horses for courses, :thumbsup:whistling.gifwhistling.gif , soulie55...

Social source share

how about damon fox or william powell there cant be very many of either of those around??

would have thought 3-5 copies maximum also on the modern side la rom baker 3-5 maximum

william powell 3 i think, no more - Mick, Carl F and Tim

Edited by Dave Abbott
Social source share

how about damon fox or william powell there cant be very many of either of those around??

would have thought 3-5 copies maximum also on the modern side la rom baker 3-5 maximum

....and there are rarer 70s ones than that..... wicked.gif:thumbsup:

Interesting thread......

Social source share

rare 70s 45s must include,billy woods,"let me make you happy" on sussex,how many copys of this ???? and how much is this 45 ???,ive never seen a real one but still have my 70s white demo reissue :thumbsup:whistling.gifwhistling.gif ...soulie55.

ps-was this first played at the mecca and by whom ????

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!