Guest Lady Maverick

• Replies 242
  • Views 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The rayons on decca is very rare yet there is a copy available on the internet now and has been for a long time.

when you compare the price on it to the big ticket northern items its a bargain. And i'd say its also much rarer than a lot of the 4 figure records.

Social source share

I think Tim Borwn had the only copy until one (beatin) copy showed up on ebay some years ago ?

Marc

The cut on Rouser is a different take to the Fairmount one, for instance the sax break on the Rouser is tiny, it's only 6 seconds long. Fairmount is over 12 seconds long. A lot more bass & punch to the Rouser. It seems that when they decided to go for a release with Fairmount they had to be more in keeping with the fashion of the time, hence the longer sax break & a slightly more refined sound.

I managed to get that one off ebay that time, it was a gamble as the guy didn't know anything about records, so he couldn't put a proper grade on it. Luckily when it turned up it was in real nice condition, & the dirt on the label (see AWAKE502's picture) was just sitting on the surface, so a light wipe over with damp cotton wool had it looking good as new.

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

The cut on Rouser is a different take to the Fairmount one, for instance the sax break on the Rouser is tiny, it's only 6 seconds long. Fairmount is over 12 seconds long. A lot more bass & punch to the Rouser. It seems that when they decided to go for a release with Fairmount they had to be more in keeping with the fashion of the time, hence the longer sax break & a slightly more refined sound.

I managed to get that one off ebay that time, it was a gamble as the guy didn't know anything about records, so he couldn't put a proper grade on it. Luckily when it turned up it was in real nice condition, & the dirt on the label (see AWAKE502's picture) was just sitting on the surface, so a light wipe over with damp cotton wool had it looking good as new.

Sadly Tim's is cracked, but plays fine.

Ok, look closely at this guy's playlist....

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46796

The best dj sets I've EVER heard. Richard definitely deserves more recognition. And I actually touched the Rouser copy. :thumbsup:

Social source share

....and there are rarer 70s ones than that..... wicked.gif:thumbsup:

Interesting thread......

We had that thread some time back .. I think the conclusion was more than 6 larom bakers , I nearly had Larom Baker off Sam for £75 at a Burnley Modern doo mellow.gif Mr Ellis got it at the end of the day

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I got the combinations 'whatcha gonna do' recently, I've never seen a copy of that (or the CODs) publicly for sale anytime recently.

Blimey Bob, nice one. Fantastic record, both sides. Did you find it in a junk/thrift shop, or was it from someone that knew what they had? Hope you dont mind me asking.

Social source share

Blimey Bob, nice one. Fantastic record, both sides. Did you find it in a junk/thrift shop, or was it from someone that knew what they had? Hope you dont mind me asking.

Someone else found it at a flea market, it was VG but played perfect (at least on the northern side, sweet side had some distortion). I paid a lot of money for it, but probably still a fraction of what I could have paid I guess. It was also signed by one of the singers I think.

Social source share

Someone else found it at a flea market, it was VG but played perfect (at least on the northern side, sweet side had some distortion). I paid a lot of money for it, but probably still a fraction of what I could have paid I guess. It was also signed by one of the singers I think.

Ah, shoot...shame about the sweet side. So in that case it may as well come over to the uk then, as you dont collect Northern :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

heres A 45 that is damn hard to find yet doesnt command mega bucks.My all time want-Sammy Lee-What Goes Around-Promco.If anyone wants to sell me a copy i would be eternally gratefull.

Regards.Sid :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

Oh yes while I think on what about The Ivories-Please Stay- Wand.Only one known copy

until recently,a certain welsh dj/collector has also got one now is that 2 copies now then!!

Cheers.Sid :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

my demo for your issue... whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

I think ALL the Billy Woods are demo copies, though on coloured Sussex labels (?) I know Arthur Fenn bought one a fews years ago, and there was one in Manship's auction a couple of years ago. Can't remember the end price, but over £2,000 I should think. Mecca tune for sure, but several DJs were playing Billy Woods in 1975/76 including Pep, but I don't know if they all had original copies or were playing 'EMI discs' (acetates)!

I think John Manship said there were about a dozen copies now known, but two of them are cracked! - and many of the others are probably stylus damaged or otherwise knackered. DJs ain't traditionally the most careful preservers of extant vinyl/styrene are they? The way they used to chuck their rare records around in the 70s used to make me wince!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

heres A 45 that is damn hard to find yet doesnt command mega bucks.My all time want-Sammy Lee-What Goes Around-Promco.If anyone wants to sell me a copy i would be eternally gratefull.

Regards.Sid whistling.gif

Great record. Only heard it two or three times though (Colin Curtis in 1976!) Saw one years later on Pat Brady list @ £100 (mid-eighties I think), then one on John Manship auction site a few months ago.

Social source share

John Manship surely ?

Certainly wasn't Dave Withers or Ian Dewhirst, yes I was the fool who paid Kev Roberts £175..in cash and trades for James Fountain circa 197.6. The trades today would be worth £1000s I remember "What About The Music" instrumental was one of the "light-weights" in the deal..oouch!

Talking of RARE records has anyone mentioned a miss-press I once owned, it was the only known copy that played the instrumental version "Thank The Lord For Love" - Living Color. This was broke in two pieces during an unfortunately incident.. never heard of or seen a copy since..except the regular copies that play a boring jazz instrumental.

Also Kenny Gamble's "Chains Of Love" on Arctic the one he wrote that The Drifters recorded..that's a one copy only, isn't it..?

Thinking about it there are loads of one-copy only 45s.

Mick Heffernan's girl group c/u 45 "coming back to you baby" on Kellmac is a one-off..i believe.. i think most top DJs and collectors have their own exclusives..even me..Othello Robertson - Testifi, Changing Times on Boy Wonder etc. Strange how the one-off phenomenon is quite common, really.

Social source share

I supose it also depends on when they were bought. For example, when Dave Withers paid £175 for James Fountain's "Seven day lover" back in the 70's it was the most anyone had paid for a rare soul record. Seems like peanuts now, but at the time is was a large sum.... yes.gif In todays world that probably equates to over 4K.

I thought it was JM who bought it

(sorry didn't see previous replies to this!)

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

what about these m-o-n-s-t-e-r-s----all on my wants if i won lottery

all close or over a grand/mostly

sandy golden---your love is everything

esther grant--lets make the most out of love

young brothers---whats her name/baby

chris jackson---without a doubt---acetate only

court davis---try to think

cam aros---were not to young

lynn .....i got a good thing goin--lasalle

Court Davis can't be that rare cos I've had 2 copies!

Social source share

Regards.Sid whistling.gif

I've never had one of those either, always wanted one

Social source share

I think ALL the Billy Woods are demo copies, though on coloured Sussex labels (?) I know Arthur Fenn bought one a fews years ago, and there was one in Manship's auction a couple of years ago. Can't remember the end price, but over £2,000 I should think. Mecca tune for sure, but several DJs were playing Billy Woods in 1975/76 including Pep, but I don't know if they all had original copies or were playing 'EMI discs' (acetates)!

I think John Manship said there were about a dozen copies now known, but two of them are cracked! - and many of the others are probably stylus damaged or otherwise knackered. DJs ain't traditionally the most careful preservers of extant vinyl/styrene are they? The way they used to chuck their rare records around in the 70s used to make me wince!

When records got booted, Pep often used to sell his originals at Wigan, I was with him when he sold his Billy Woods, can't remember exactly how much, 50 quid or so possibly

Social source share

Swans Nitty Gritty on Dore, Little Johnny Hamilton Keep On Movin on Dore, both one offs aren't they.

June Jackson on Musette, Junior McCants on King, both with just a couple of known copies.

Kell Osborne - Law Against A Heartbreaker, just two known copies, both demos.

Esther Grant, thought there were more than one of these, know Carl has a copy as well, or he did have one.

Margaret Little, certainly four known maybe one or two more.

Social source share

Court Davis can't be that rare cos I've had 2 copies!

very right Pete, Court Davis we'veauctyion 4 or 5 in recent years.. not seriously rare really just damn good

Social source share

Swans Nitty Gritty on Dore, Little Johnny Hamilton Keep On Movin on Dore, both one offs aren't they.

June Jackson on Musette, Junior McCants on King, both with just a couple of known copies.

Kell Osborne - Law Against A Heartbreaker, just two known copies, both demos.

Esther Grant, thought there were more than one of these, know Carl has a copy as well, or he did have one.

Margaret Little, certainly four known maybe one or two more.

chalky L johnny hamilton is not a one off, i've had a test press and a stock copy, but again extremely rare. all the others you mention i've never ever had for sale.

Social source share

chalky L johnny hamilton is not a one off, i've had a test press and a stock copy, but again extremely rare. all the others you mention i've never ever had for sale.

cheers for that John.

I still don't know of many copies of the Mary Hunt on Soul Mate I got off your auction???? Only know or heard of two other copies unsure.gif

Social source share

Richard Lewis (DJ Honky) owns nice clean a Rouser copy. a White Test Press I sold about 6/7 years ago turned out to be the "Rouser" press (didn't take much notice, I though it was a Fairmount test press).

But I still can't understand, what all the shout about this record on ROUSER is, although rare.. Frank Beverly is Philadelphia born and bred and FAIRMOUNT a Philly label is surely the first label for this record. The Rouser copy has FAIRMOUNT matrix F - 1017 scratched into the deadwax.

So someone unknown taking one of the masterplates (whether it be a different take or not) and pressing it in Washington (the date is unconfirmed could even be years later) somehow turns this 45, into a iconic big ticket piece.. and don't get it, second labels/releases not matter how rare should not command a price tag 3 or times more than the original. Or am I missing something?

Edited by john manship
Social source share

cheers for that John.

I still don't know of many copies of the Mary Hunt on Soul Mate I got off your auction???? Only know or heard of two other copies unsure.gif

Chalky, I've only had perhaps two at most, you're copy.. + a copy from years and years ago someone said we had listed..but I can't remember. Certainly RARE and one of the bargains of recent years..thanks for reminding me

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest hudsoul

What about --TONI ROSS--HURRY BACK thumbsup.gifyes.gif one-off???belongs to mr fortnum now i belive,excellent record,

TERRIFFICS-LEAVE US ALONE is this another very rare disc??????heard it at burnley last time

Social source share

I think they should burn all copies of Wiliam Powell, it's poor, the bloke can't sing IMHO wicked.gifwhistling.gif

Oh dear, you go on about The mellow Souls having everything you need in a northern record than slag off one thats even better, this has got the lot, especially that fantastic intro and the break towards the end. And if it's true that this is the guy who was in the O'Jays - can't really say he's a non-singer surely

Social source share

Chalky,

Listen to,SONNY FISHBACK, HEART BREAKING MAN.

The mans got a terrible lisp.

Kev wicked.gif

Yeah but it's far better than William Powell, especially the slower version.

Another rare un thats bad....Don Hysong - Soul Searcher, sounds like a pissed up karaoke singer shades.gifwhistling.gif Not in the same class as Eddie Hughes version.

Social source share

Chalky,

Listen to,SONNY FISHBACK, HEART BREAKING MAN.

The mans got a terrible lisp.

Kev wicked.gif

William Powell was first and foremost a writer. Get a listen to Lena & The Deltanettes on Uptown, now there's a sleeper and William wrote it.!

What about Sonny Fishback - Heartbreaking man?? I have both versions of this and love 'em like my dogs, equally. What was, the point on Sonny Fishback ??

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Oh dear, you go on about The mellow Souls having everything you need in a northern record than slag off one thats even better, this has got the lot, especially that fantastic intro and the break towards the end. And if it's true that this is the guy who was in the O'Jays - can't really say he's a non-singer surely

I've never really taken to the record Pete for some reason. I know it's a Northern classic but for me the vocals just don't do it for me. Not saying either he's a non singer either, just on this record whistling.gif He's probably vocally far better than he sounds on Heartaches.....

Edited by chalky
Social source share

William Powell was first and foremost a writer, not a singer. Get a listen to Lena & The Deltanettes on Uptown, now there's a sleeper and Wiliam wrote it.!

What about Sonny Fishback?? I have both versions of this and love 'em like my dogs, equally. What was, the point on Sonny Fishback ??

agree with you John about Sonny Fishback. There's a couple of other records out there by him but I'm a bit sleep deprived this morning and can't think rolleyes.gif

Social source share

So someone unknown taking one of the masterplates (whether it be a different take or not) and pressing it in Washington (the date is unconfirmed could even be years later) somehow turns this 45, into a iconic big ticket piece.. and don't get it, second labels/releases not matter how rare should not command a price tag 3 or times more than the original. Or am I missing something?

Sounds an interesting theory John, but it's just that i'm affraid.

You're honestly suggesting they would put out a high quality refined recording with a sax break of over 12 seconds first. Then later on put out a less refined sound with a tiny 6 second sax break? That sax break sounds silly in the context of the record, anyone can listen to it & hear it was a f**k up.

Sorry John, cant see it.

Social source share

Yes--- had forgotten about that adey-- remember playing my ROUSER TEST PRESS over the phone to you-- has the short sax break as in the ROUSER issued copies.. suppose as an item got to rank as pretty rare

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert