Butch

Go to solution Solved by Still Diggin,

5 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Correct, probably but again, i was never around back then - it must've just been a Southern thing 😐

Fair dues, if you you were not around back then, however it was most certainly not a 'southern thing' you would have that in Nottingham (rock city) circa mid eighties along with several other venues up and down the country. Within a six month window around that period some would say a top five modern soul want that's never really turned up. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/11/2023 at 19:47, Corbett80 said:

Had a great comp she did with this, Thee Midniters, Chick Carlton etc. Really good stuff.

Was sorting through a box of old CDs and came across one that is probably the one you mentioned. "fundraiser" CD Nancy and her then partner Simone did for the first Rimini Soul weekender back in 2002. As you say Midniters, Antellects, Chick Carlton and also stuff like Little John on Gogate, Otis Lee or Sebastian Williams on Sound of Soul. Great compilation!

Social source share

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Was sorting through a box of old CDs and came across one that is probably the one you mentioned. "fundraiser" CD Nancy and her then partner Simone did for the first Rimini Soul weekender back in 2002. As you say Midniters, Antellects, Chick Carlton and also stuff like Little John on Gogate, Otis Lee or Sebastian Williams on Sound of Soul. Great compilation!

That’s the one! Still after the Chick Carlton after all these years… fantastic mix.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 14/11/2023 at 23:29, Quinvy said:

Most of these records are acetates with unknown artists.

Help ... that's an absolute horror:
Please correct me, but I thought vinyl or metal acetates have an absolutely short lifespan or limited playback time ... !!

As a collector and connoisseur, don't I have to try to get them on vinyl as quickly as possible?

Maybe that's the reason why I never really dedicated myself to this topic ...

Social source share

7 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Help ... that's an absolute horror:
Please correct me, but I thought vinyl or metal acetates have an absolutely short lifespan or limited playback time ... !!

As a collector and connoisseur, don't I have to try to get them on vinyl as quickly as possible?

Maybe that's the reason why I never really dedicated myself to this topic ...

Well that’s what I would do if I had any good acetates.

But here’s another thing.

What’s to say that the people that are transferring your one off acetate to vinyl, aren’t making a copy for themselves???

I know for a fact that this goes on.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Quinvy said:

What’s to say that the people that are transferring your one off acetate to vinyl, aren’t making a copy for themselves???

Yes, good question and no doubt if so "hang him on the nearest tree".

But I think as soon as the record dies on me .. 🤌😬

Social source share

On 25/01/2024 at 19:30, Quinvy said:

This happened to me and Russ Gilbert (Amsterdam Russ) on here. In that he has an unreleased acetate of a 'Duke Turner' track, which I've got on a carver, it's on YT but not in its entirety, but my carver is. 

He and I spoke about this at great length, and he's cool, but I cannot for the life of me remember where I got it, I just thought it was another Duke Turner & Chi Towns on Spinning Top records... it's a 'carver with Turner on one side and Audrey Matthews - I Have no choice on the back, which probably dates it as that was a name that changed isnt it.

So it happens 😕  assuming of course, it is a one off... who knows.. 

Social source share

12 hours ago, Mal C said:

This happened to me and Russ Gilbert (Amsterdam Russ) on here. In that he has an unreleased acetate of a 'Duke Turner' track, which I've got on a carver, it's on YT but not in its entirety, but my carver is. 

He and I spoke about this at great length, and he's cool, but I cannot for the life of me remember where I got it, I just thought it was another Duke Turner & Chi Towns on Spinning Top records... it's a 'carver with Turner on one side and Audrey Matthews - I Have no choice on the back, which probably dates it as that was a name that changed isnt it.

So it happens 😕  assuming of course, it is a one off... who knows.. 

Hi Mal

I know Duke well, PM me the title and i'll ask Duke about it.

Regards

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!