Soulcast's Jim Demetriou Passes Away

I have very fond memories of recording a show for Jim's SoulCast site...hilarious fun with both him and Rob.

Here's Jim out on the 100 Club floor (albeit a set up shot) taken from a scan of the front cover to a Japanese magazine from '98...Jim is to the left of a leaping Trickster and just behind a back-dropping Rob...happy days of hopes, dreams and a decent dancefloor.

RIP Jim

post-9555-1191252143_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I have very fond memories of recording a show for Jim's SoulCast site...hilarious fun with both him and Rob.

Here's Jim out on the 100 Club floor (albeit a set up shot) taken from a scan of the front cover to a Japanese magazine from '98...Jim is to the left of a leaping Trickster and just behind a back-dropping Rob...happy days of hopes, dreams and a decent dancefloor.

RIP Jim

brilliant.. i have a copy of this particular show and it is absolutely stand-out.

Edited by SoulBoy74
Social source share

Jimbo

With your funeral tomorrow I feel compelled to write a few words about you.

The first time we met was at the 100 club and after that meeting i always found myself with a face full of your hair every time. You really made me laugh and your spirit and humour was the making of you.

Years later DJing in your bedroom for Soulcast we always had such a great laugh and our banter was very geniune, as that is the main adjective i'd use to describe you.

You were supposed to be coming around a few weeks ago for a boys night in, but were too tired to make it, we'll have to do that one day my friend. Till then ,take care and keep laughing you hairy bear.

Rob

Jim was one of the first people I met on the soul scene, and I feel very lucky for that. Never a bad thought ,it seems, happened in his head and always full of vim and vigour on a night out.

It will be a sad day tomorrow, for a man always remembered with a smile,

we'll miss you,

Sam

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

have found a few pics of Jim - these were all from the Water Rats (I think) in the early 90s

post-4070-1190488930_thumb.jpg

post-4070-1190488944_thumb.jpg

post-4070-1190488953_thumb.jpg

post-4070-1190488963_thumb.jpg

post-4070-1190488975_thumb.jpg

It was the Water Rats, Jim was always there, like the 100 club and many other events.

I didn't know until reading this, very sad news indeed, Jim was such a lovely person, who always had time to say hello and talk to people, what a great dancer too.

Condolencies to his friends and family. Sx

Social source share

Jim's brother Chris has expressed his thanks on behalf of the family to all those who attended the funeral. I think they were really taken aback by the numbers.

I'll post details on here about a charity memorial do as soon as it's fixed. At the moment it's looking like a Saturday towards the end of November.

Social source share

Rest in peace mate, will miss that ferocious dancing. Thanx for a memorable trip to the Ritz in 96.

I had no idea until this eve with of a text from Jim Elliott of Jims sad passing. I too recall that trip to the Ritz in 96 but as many my resounding memories of Jim are of the 100 Club and of frantic dancing. One of lifes nice guys. My regards and condolences to Jims family. Rest in peace buddy.

Social source share

Really sorry to hear about Jim. I can't believe it. He was truly a very nice person and always ready to have a chat as much or as little as you liked. He always had time for you. His passion for the dance floor was legendary even inspirational. in my mind he will always be dancing in that corner of the 100 club. See you around Jim.

Paul Franklin

Social source share

Jim Memorial Do

There's going to be a charity event in memory of Jim at the Loom Bar, 5 Clipstone St, London W1 on Friday 16th November. Ady Croasdell's going to DJ, and others tbc. All proceeds will go to the Lymphoma Association - the charity that deals with the cancer Jim had. I'll post further details here.

Social source share

Charity memorial event for Demetrios Demetriou, aka JIM

In honour of our great friend Jim

The Loom Bar (formerly Needles)

5 Clipstone Street

London W1

7.00pm - 2.00am

Just a fiver to get in and 100% of proceeds will go to the Lymphoma Association - the charity directly associated with type of cancer Jim had

DJs to include Ady Croasdell, Tony Smith, Ady Lupton, Rob Holmes, and a bit but not too much from Ben, Angelo and Liam

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Oisin Lunny

Ah God this is very sad news, just heard.

Had not seen him in a long time but remember well from the 100 Club and the Norfolk, Jim was a genuine guy, a real diamond.

Rest in peace.

Oisin

Social source share

• 10 months later...

One year on, and by way of rememberence have been listening to a couple of episodes of Soulcast. Hardly a day goes by without Jim being in my thoughts. I still miss him every day.

Time marches on, of course, and in re-reading the many comments posted about him here, I feel even more lucky to have known him.

Jim - you're missed, but never forgotten.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I was just saying on Friday to my better half that I can't believe it's a year since Jim passed away.

Such a great man and such a huge loss for so many people. Definitely never to be forgotten.

RIP Jim.

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest JJ Lopez from TX

Just taking a moment to remember Jim, its September. I tuned into his podcast on the regular. He was really my initial and most authentic link to Northern Soul. Thank the stars for the internet and thank the greater forces that be for Jim. 

Keep the Faith my friend.

best,

JJ-

TX

Social source share

Guest JJ Lopez from TX

RIP Jim

I have this particular episode downloaded. It's hands down one of my favorites. 

Social source share

Just taking a moment to remember Jim, its September. I tuned into his podcast on the regular. He was really my initial and most authentic link to Northern Soul. Thank the stars for the internet and thank the greater forces that be for Jim. 

Keep the Faith my friend.

best,

JJ-

TX

Jim could have no better testament than to have someone remember him in the way that you've just done some seven years later.

I was also thinking about him last week, and about how I miss him still and think of him often. I was also thinking that it might be an idea to upload to mix cloud or somewhere a couple of recordings of shows he broadcast. The only ones I have are those that we did together - when he was kind enough to indulge me and invite me on as a guest.

I also have three or four cassettes from when he was a hospital radio dj (spinning Northern to a captive audience that couldn't sleep) and I was also his guest. These pre-date Jim's online Soulcast shows by some years.

Never been quite sure if uploading them is a good idea or not, so any thoughts on that welcomed. They seem so very personal now, but in some respects that's because the only person to ever hear them is me. 

Anyway, here's to Jim. Wherever you may be, God bless you still. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!