Levi Stubbs Tribute

BrianB

I have always been a huge fan of the 4 Tops, but particularly Levi Stubbs.

He has a fantastic voice, responsible for some of the best vocals ever laid down on vinyl. Bernadette, 7 Rooms of Gloom, Ask The Lonely, I could go on for hours.

He remained loyal to Obie, Larry and Abdul and never wanted to put his name first, as became Motown policy as the acts grew in popularity.

My point is he is seriously ill. Why should we wait for the worst to happen before we inundate Soul Source with tributes and platitudes? Why not do it now?

If we could arrange for him to see and understand exactly what he means to the UK soulies, it may give him a lift, and at least we may all feel better when the inevitable happens.

Don't know how we could do it, but we have some well connected guys in the States (Dave M!).

Over to you, what do you think.

ATB

Brian B

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...I would imagine that Levi must already have a better idea than most as to how much he means to both soul and pop fans in the UK, given the number of charts hits that the Tops had here with records that didn't always make the same impact back home and how many tours the original line up of the group made over a period of more than 20 years.

I do agree, though, that the best time to send people bouquets of any kind is while they can enjoy them personally, rather than posthumously....

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

He has a fantastic voice, responsible for some of the best vocals ever laid down on vinyl. Bernadette, 7 Rooms of Gloom, Ask The Lonely, I could go on for hours.

He remained loyal to Obie, Larry and Abdul and never wanted to put his name first, as became Motown policy as the acts grew in popularity.

My point is he is seriously ill. Why should we wait for the worst to happen before we inundate Soul Source with tributes and platitudes? Why not do it now?

If we could arrange for him to see and understand exactly what he means to the UK soulies, it may give him a lift, and at least we may all feel better when the inevitable happens.

Don't know how we could do it, but we have some well connected guys in the States (Dave M!).

ATB

Brian B

Thanks for the songs that you have given to the souls that would listen

Thanks for the joy your songs have given

Thanks for the dances your songs have driven

Thanks for the tunes that sometimes run round inside my head

Thanks for the songs that brought the tears I have needed to shed

Thanks for helping to shape the soulful life I have tried to lead

Thanks for the FOUR TOPS from this big fan.

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

ATB

Brian B

A true great with a voice that could move mountains just by pure emotion.

QoFxx

Social source share

I too am sadened to hear Levi isn't well but wouldn't want to write him off just yet.

I hope he is fully aware of the the pleasure his vocals have given us soul fans over in the UK as well as everywhere else, but if there is any doubt let him be assured his work will remain admired and a source of enjoyment long long after we have all passed away.

Hope he gets well soon.

Social source share

I once worked with a guy who thought Robert Plant was god. He used to try rip the piss out of me for being into soul. I used to tell him that Levi Stubbs was the greatest singer ever. He wouldnt have it until I forced him to listen to the Tops one night when we were working nights. Now hes converted into soul music. I cant believe him, he wants all the soul I can ply him with!!!! That was all thru Levi. I salute you Mr Levi Stubbs, I am your biggest fan.

Social source share

Great idea and very worthwhile sentiments, sure through power of internet he could be contacted, via direct website or something?

How about a Levi Stubbs Wednesday to follow todays David Ruffin day (great idea Baz, will try and get some more up tonight) putting up some of Levis lesser known moments so any of the doubters can hear why so many of us regard him as one of the greatest vocalist ever.

Social source share

Great idea and very worthwhile sentiments, sure through power of internet he could be contacted, via direct website or something?

How about a Levi Stubbs Wednesday to follow todays David Ruffin day (great idea Baz, will try and get some more up tonight) putting up some of Levis lesser known moments so any of the doubters can hear why so many of us regard him as one of the greatest vocalist ever.

AGREED JOCK MUST HAVE BOUT 40 OF THEIR MOTOWN THINGS SOME BRITISH ALSO LOOKS LIKE THE USB IS GONNA BE BUSY TONIGHT LOL.

PS BABY I NEED YOUR LOVING IS A MASTERPIECE [ECHOES OF THE DOOOR TEST IN A BRONX TALE.]

Social source share

Thanks for the songs that you have given to the souls that would listen

Thanks for the joy your songs have given

Thanks for the dances your songs have driven

Thanks for the tunes that sometimes run round inside my head

Thanks for the songs that brought the tears I have needed to shed

Thanks for helping to shape the soulful life I have tried to lead

Thanks for the FOUR TOPS from this big fan.

Steve J

I can see you're very busy at work Steve! :thumbsup:

can we hear you singing this? :shades:

Social source share

Quite remarkably I had their greatest hits on the PC last night while doing some work on it, what sheer coincedence this thread is being posted up, I nearly choked when listening to Ask The Lonely, the list is endless for me, growing up in the 60ts was all about Motown for me and as a 100% fan of the man is that any tribute to him direct will have my name on it whatever idea we can think of to get it to him, stick in Levi, the soul world worships you

Lenny

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Without any Gory detail, What Illness has LS got.

I see the 'New four tops' are still touring, maybe that should be held up until he can rejoin them.

Ed

Sadly the chances of Levi ever rejoining the Tops are around the 'zero' point.I do know what he's suffering from, but I don't think that it's in the public domain, and therefore it's not for me to be the one to reveal it.

It's not something that people usually 'recover' from, regrettably...

Social source share

ATB

Brian B

Whenever I hear it , Levi Stubbs' voice can always be guaranteed to raise the hairs on the back of my neck .....

The man could sing the the yellow pages amd make it soulful .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Levi's voice and Junior Walker's sax were the two things that got me into sould music in the first place.

I remember seeing my first live show - the Four Tops at the Odeon in Manchester in the early 70's and being absolutely blown away by his voice. I last saw them just after When she Was My Girl was a chart tune and he still had the killer voice. The Shake Me Wake Me Acapella demonstrates it to perfection.

Social source share

The man is blessed. I'm not a religious person, but how does one account for such an extraordinarily powerful & moving voice?

God given is perhaps a clich today, but Levi Stubbs comes about as close as you can to such a definition.

I'm still moved by all the classics & it was heart-wearming to hear that Baby I Need Your Loving, a million seller (?), was spun a couple of times at the 100 club anniversary recently. One I've been playing a lot recently is the flip to Do What You Gotta Do'. When he sings 'back in the streets again' I go into a different world.

Social source share

There's no doubt that Levi Stubbs had the ultimate heartbreaker voice of his generation.

What still amazes me, after constantly listening to his records since I was a teenager, is how his intensity always seemed so effortless.

Whenever I hear his voice it makes me realise just how overrated many other singers are.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

He was THE voice of the 4 Tops.

Let's not forget some of their post Motown material either - seeing "Just can't get you out of my mind" on TOTP was one of those things that first interested me in soul music as a kid. I still love that record today no matter how many times I hear those words "Call me, were the last words I remember, When the spring became September, and I still got no reply". Top tune in my house! :thumbup: Top singer!

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

surely, ask the lonely/where did you go is the greatest double sider,any objections?.

when the word "legend" seems to get mentioned so frequently these days,levi stubbs is one of few to really warrant the accolade.

craig

Social source share

...it was heart-wearming to hear that Baby I Need Your Loving, a million seller (?), was spun a couple of times at the 100 club anniversary recently...

Hello Macca,

No disrespect to anyone but it shouldn't be at all unusual to hear a Four Tops record in a soul club.

If there are any DJs who can't play a Four Tops record once in a while then I'd say they have a problem.

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest recordman

Levi Stubbs The Voice Of Motown

Saw him and the rest of the Tops in Las vagas 7 years ago

his fantastic tenor voice just washed over me

a truly special song stylist who I understand currently

is not in the best of health

My Top 5

Levi Stubbs Darrell Banks Marvin Jr Soloman Burke Luther Vandross

Social source share

Hello Macca,

No disrespect to anyone but it shouldn't be at all unusual to hear a Four Tops record in a soul club.

If there are any DJs who can't play a Four Tops record once in a while then I'd say they have a problem.

:D

Paul Mooney

I agree with you Paul. It's just that I've been away from the UK scene for about 15 years & I remember the 100 club as a rare soul bastion, so it was kind of odd to hear that a chart topping classic was played down there. definitely not saying there's anything wrong with it! :thumbsup:

M

p.s. I may also be suffering from a case of selective memory...

Edited by macca
Social source share

Emotion,Passion,Breathless,Depth,Full spectrum,

Levis Voice on most things including his plant like status in "Little Shop of Horrors"

is so "Unique"

The new 4 tops will never evolve into anything but a tribute to themselves because without the front man we all love

doesnt sound and look "Original"

We all hope we will see Levi once again,But highly unlikely

so all dig out "Ask the Lonely" or any of your many favourite 4 Tops songs and pay individual and collective tribute to the greatest American voice ever to grace these Shores.

Ladies and Gentlemen "Levi Stubbs" honorary Soul Sourcer IMO

Social source share

Agree with all previous regards Mr Stubbs a wonderful,wonderful voice, person et all.

I tried for years to break Cant Seem To Get You Off My Mind in v early 70s, imagine my gloating when returning back home 23 years later to be recognised AND have this track played for me! Always sends goosebumps, always will. :thumbsup:

On another note, not his best but "Brenda" became my wife 33 years ago - coincidence :D

Any tribute that could be passed, should be and watch the Tops hit the turntables this next month!

Social source share

Not suprised at the response we have had to this.

I saw them at the Manchester Odeon in 1070 and 1971. Unbelievable!! The balcony was actually swaying, which as a 15 year old frightened me to death, until the uniformed comissionnaire (bloody hell, remember them?) daid "don't worry son, it did that in the 50s when Bill Halley and the Comets were on!

Anyone any ideas for a tribute we can pass on to him.

Clearly Tony Rouce is correct in saying Levi knows how popular he is, but what a lift he would get if we could just give him a reminder?

Social source share

They"ll tell you a story of sadness

A story to hard to believe

They"ll tell you the loneliest one is me

Just ask the lonely

Shivers, Shivers, Shivers

Quite simply the best :D who else but Levi could have delivered those lines with so much emotion, no one else :thumbsup:

Social source share

I get goose bumps just thinking of his voice!

Where Did You Go / Baby I Need Your Loving / (Its The Way) Nature Planned It - so emotive. Sung with such feeling no one can deny. I love him.

Liz

Social source share

Just reading these few tributes (especially the lyrics interspersed throughout) sends shivers down my spine.

Levi Stubbs is the voice of Soul.

The word AWESOME is used far too liberally when describing vocal talent. Though for Levi, the word is simply not big enough.

He's inspired a generation and entertained millions... over several decades.

The versatility in his voice is the real unique.

The Power of 'Bernadette'

The Sorrow behind "Just Ask The Lonely"

We may never hear a better voice.

I named my daughter 'Siobhan Bernadette' because of that incredible vocal performance... and its effect on me as a youngster!

Keep on loving me........ Bernadette!

Truly, truly AWESOME!

Long live Levi Stubbs.

Sean

Social source share

ATB

Brian B

Nice post Brian...

Four Tops, my first love on the road to soul salvation...."as long as you need me"

Social source share

Sadly the chances of Levi ever rejoining the Tops are around the 'zero' point.I do know what he's suffering from, but I don't think that it's in the public domain, and therefore it's not for me to be the one to reveal it.

It's not something that people usually 'recover' from, regrettably...

As I have had to personally endure the heart wrenching experience of witnessing my own Dad waste away on a downward spiral within a matter of around 18 months, and having seen that Aretha video tribute to Levi that was posted on here last year with Levi in a wheel chair, my guess is that Levi has suffered a stroke or a series of minor strokes over a period of time.

Social source share

I named my daughter 'Siobhan Bernadette' because of that incredible vocal performance... and its effect on me as a youngster!
That's amazing, Sean.

I didn't have a daughter but I'd always said she would have been named Bernadette.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Just reading these few tributes (especially the lyrics interspersed throughout) sends shivers down my spine.

Levi Stubbs is the voice of Soul.

The word AWESOME is used far too liberally when describing vocal talent. Though for Levi, the word is simply not big enough.

He's inspired a generation and entertained millions... over several decades.

The versatility in his voice is the real unique.

The Power of 'Bernadette'

The Sorrow behind "Just Ask The Lonely"

We may never hear a better voice.

Keep on loving me........ Bernadette!

Truly, truly AWESOME!

Long live Levi Stubbs.

Sean

Sean,

This is the sort of message I want to get to Levi. The effect he has had on my life, and then my chosen lifestyle has been phenomenal.

Great reply! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I've always believed that good music is art and "pop" lyrics often compare with the greatest poetry ever written.

The huge advantage that music has over poetry is the singer's dramatic interpretation of the words. And pop music's finest example of that was Levi Stubbs singing Eddie Holland's lyrics; the actor and the poet in perfect harmony.

In particular, the lyrics from "I'm In A Different World" are very profound...

In this world of ups and downs my dreams all fall through,

Things just don't work out; no matter what I do.

Disappointment haunts me through each lonely day,

The world around I see in only shades of grey.

On the stage of life I've play a loser's part,

It seems like I've been down right from the very start.

Every time I lift myself up off the ground,

Something always happens to bring the curtain down.

Thankfully the dark moods are lifted by a happy chorus, otherwise I'd have become a manic depressive after listening to this song so many times.

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

truely truley awsome,seen them a few times,this pic was taken at the concert hall nottingham.where the tops and levis voice took the roof off

I'm 99% certain there will be a good few people on the scene in touch with Levi Stubbs or certainly their management or family.

Sean Livesey was in touch with his daughter, Debbie Stubbs a couple of years ago and I'm fairly sure John Carrier was too.(might be wrong about that bit, I can't remember how Sean came to be in touch with her) She's certainly aware of the scene over here.

Jayne.x

Social source share

I'm 99% certain there will be a good few people on the scene in touch with Levi Stubbs or certainly their management or family.

Sean Livesey was in touch with his daughter, Debbie Stubbs a couple of years ago and I'm fairly sure John Carrier was too.(might be wrong about that bit, I can't remember how Sean came to be in touch with her) She's certainly aware of the scene over here.

Jayne.x

Hi Jayne,

Maybe Debbie is the route we could take? Even if all Levi saw was this thread I would be happy.

Some fantastic replies, and no dissent!

Is this thread a Soul Source record?!

Social source share

He was THE voice of the 4 Tops.

Let's not forget some of their post Motown material either............

Gotta echo that Steve! 'Main Street People' and 'Keeper Of The Castle' are superb Tops LP's with Levi allowed to be unleashed! 'When Tonight Meets Tomorrow' from 'Keeper...' is awesome!!!!

Fave Motown numbers for me are 'Still Waters' and 'Baby I need Your Lovin''.....Cheers!

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Definetly a true legend i love Loco in Accapoco but for motown who can forget Without The One You Love, I Can't Help Myself, It's The Same Old Song and 2 classic covers of A Place in the Sun and Stay In My Lonely Arms both do justice. I wish him well and it won't be the same without him in the band

Social source share

Hi Jayne,

Maybe Debbie is the route we could take? Even if all Levi saw was this thread I would be happy.

Some fantastic replies, and no dissent!

Is this thread a Soul Source record?!

lol... as soon as he's back from the Tuscany weekender I shall ask.. :D

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert