Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

it does not mean I am a sycophant that agrees with everything you or anyone else on here has to say.

I don't think even Helen Keller would read that line and accuse you of that, Epic.

Social source share

Now THIS is why I made it.

THIS IS THE REASON.

You have restored my faith.

I shall ignore the two jokers who keep rattling my cage, dismiss them as irredeemably sad and pathetic, and appreciate the caring comments from you and gogs and the type of people who I made these for in the first place.

Thankyou more than I can say - you have made this a better day, and the world feel like a better place.

The Northern Soul scene has two separate factions. We're all like the Democrats, and Barack Obama, and those anoraks are like the Republicans, and George Bush, and never the twain shall meet.

:lol::lol::lol:

Another overblown political analogy! You do love them, don't you?

And to think you called someone else pompous! :lol:

The way you try to dictate whose opinions are valid and which comments on your thread are acceptable puts me in mind of a different plitical comparison: You're like the pig in Animal Farm who declared "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others". :thumbup:

Social source share

The way you try to dictate whose opinions are valid and which comments on your thread are acceptable puts me in mind of a different plitical comparison: You're like the pig in Animal Farm who declared "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".

You are ignoring this user and the pig was called Napoleon.

Social source share

It strikes me that this page is FULL of off topic posts of people just trying to take cheap shots at me.

Where are all the UNBIASED reviews of Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers ??

Must I endure an ongoing creeping barrage of trolls ????

Social source share

I was talking about a person's right to choose an abortion or not, or indeed a couples' joint choice, not forced upon them by a state, behaving little better than fascists.

I think you will find that they are trying to give the unborn more rights than the parents or the state. :thumbup:

That's nice if we are the Troll's dose that make you the Ogre

post-6504-1225382629_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Don't remember you giving much creedence or support to his original version of "Loving On The Losing Side" back in 1975 - quite the opposite in fact.

Just for you, my precious little rosebud petal

Social source share

I think you will find that they are trying to give the unborn more rights than the parents or the state.

And deny stem cell research which could save millions of lives, including both my deceased father and sister, because it interferes with George Bush's fanatical religious right wing beliefs.

Social source share

I predicted you would say that, and lo and behold you did. Glad you were so predictable.

I was talking about a person's right to choose an abortion or not, or indeed a couples' joint choice, not forced upon them by a state, behaving little better than fascists.

But if a person, male or female, goes out of their way to be obnoxious, and bump the camera on purpose, when I'm trying to film something important, and be a disgraceful nuisance, a dig with my elbow is far far milder than that scum deserved.

At least back on ANS, when people behaved as reprehensively and disgracefully as some of the posts in these last two pages, at least I could say FOAD without fear of getting myself banned.

Yawn. Yeh, I predicted you would predict it, showing how much more predictable you are than me. :thumbup:

The problem for you is that I don't give a monkeys whether you tell me to FOAD or not. You are so full of sh*t about civil liberties etc, but speak to people as they are your inferiors because they might not agree with you 100%.

Read your own posts. In particular read the one that infers I had commented on the artists. Lets have a pithy comment about that. The trouble is, you can't find where I said anything about any artist or even about your productions. You just choose to smear. You can't even bring yourself to say that I said no such thing. Thats reprehensible imo.

And I wouldn't dream of telling you (or anyone else for that matter) to FOAD especially over postings on an internet forum. I wish you no ill will at all, but manners maketh the man. It shows that in this particular case, you've lost the argument. What next, PM/email threats ? :lol:

Social source share

And deny stem cell research which could save millions of lives, including both my deceased father and sister, because it interferes with George Bush's fanatical religious right wing beliefs.

They don't need a foetus to grow stem sells now they can do it another way.

Tommy is fantastic but it leaves me wanting more from the band don't know what it is. :thumbup:

Logic1.mp3

Social source share

It strikes me that this page is FULL of off topic posts of people just trying to take cheap shots at me.

Where are all the UNBIASED reviews of Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers ??

STOP PRESS

Some people don't like you! So what?

There's only been good reviews Ian, nobody has actually watched it and said that they didn't enjoy it. Some people didn't like some of the clips they saw of it, big deal, go back and read all the positives!

Social source share

STOP PRESS

Some people don't like you! So what?

There's only been good reviews Ian, nobody has actually watched it and said that they didn't enjoy it. Some people didn't like some of the clips they saw of it, big deal, go back and read all the positives!

:no: Could be the sound engineer needs the sack and a total in-house rethink. :yes::shhh:

Tony_Scott.mp3

Social source share

I havnt got the Dvds yet - but I will

Ive seen the ones on U-Tube and yes the quality lets them down a little.

My earlier point was one of when you remake something you cannot always remake the oiriganal feeling in it and thats why people are often put off.

A good example of that is the Northern soul DVD from Goldmine.

I think the Venicia Wilson Track is Great- & I love the Four Vandals - However The Sapphires Got to have your love is appalling - Forget who is singing it but she has to keep looking at the words on her cards that are blatantly in her hand . It really was so Amateurish beyond belief - Where was the energy even competence in that performance not to mention the lack of proffesionalism as a singer. When I saw the outside cover and saw - " Got to have your love" I was feeling goosebumps. When I saw it I had a terrible let down. I liked part of the SWONS but again similar issues with that as well. I hope this one is not similar.

Sorry Ian but you do get personal at times and it rubs people up the wrong way.

Why do you mention £80,000 - the money that you have put into the project.

You said you did it for the love of it not the money so why mention it. I am known to be an instigator and person who has helped hundreds if not thousands of kids in football to keep them off drugs when I could have been making money hand over fist but I never mentioned it when discussing football so why are you

mentioning money here if its not to get respect from people cos you put your money where your mouth is!

I dont say that a leopard cannot change its spots but if you are above this then ignore the biggots.

Remember this Ian - " Some people think they are thinking changes - when they are merely re-arranging their prejudices"

Why dont you offer this set of Dvds to one of the Tv companies to critically analyse it like they do with films- Just an Idea or set up an open forum meeting so people can discuss face to face. Just an Idea

Regards Steve

Social source share

IHowever The Sapphires Got to have your love is appalling - Forget who is singing it but she has to keep looking at the words on her cards that are blatantly in her hand . It really was so Amateurish beyond belief - Where was the energy even competence in that performance not to mention the lack of proffesionalism as a singer. When I saw the outside cover and saw - " Got to have your love" I was feeling goosebumps. When I saw it I had a terrible let down. I liked part of the SWONS but again similar issues with that as well. I hope this one is not similar.

That comes from SWONS and is the same clip used on this new set. Can't blame an old lady for forgetting her words 35 years later though! It was definitely the original singer of The Sapphires.

Social source share

My fave tune, is there a video clip of it on this thread?? or do i have to go back to page 1 and start looking??

thanks

chris :shhh:

heading off to start at page 1 :no: and start looking if there is a video of Bobby Hebb - love love love. Unless anyone can tell me yes or no to save me looking from the start to find out there isnt a video.

chris :yes:

Social source share

For those who are genuinely interested and appreciate new recordings in a classic style.

Coming in January 2009

"SOUL STEPPERS".

Evelyn Thomas, Tommy Hunt, The Concentrations, The Flirtations, Norma Lewis, Dionne Mitchell, Tahira Jumah, Judy Duff, Noel McKoy, Jimmy James, Rosetta Hightower, Odette Adams, Janine Johnson, Michael Lloyd Pinq, Pearly Gates, Jay Harvey, Donna Williams, Kitty Corbin, Verna Francis, and more ......

post-13099-1225385174_thumb.jpg

Social source share

heading off to start at page 1 sad.gif and start looking if there is a video of Bobby Hebb - love love love. Unless anyone can tell me yes or no to save me looking from the start to find out there isnt a video.

To save you the trouble

Social source share

However The Sapphires Got to have your love is appalling - Forget who is singing it but she has to keep looking at the words on her cards that are blatantly in her hand . It really was so Amateurish beyond belief - Where was the energy even competence in that performance not to mention the lack of proffesionalism as a singer.

As Pete Smith said, it is indeed Carol Johnson, now Carol Canty, the absolute original singer of The Sapphires.

But you're looking at the old version. The whole point is we spent a fortune in time and money redoing them.

Look at it now and hopefully, whilst not the slickest of them all, it might not look too bad after all.

Social source share

For those who are genuinely interested and appreciate new recordings in a classic style.

Coming in January 2009

"SOUL STEPPERS".

Evelyn Thomas, Tommy Hunt, The Concentrations, The Flirtations, Norma Lewis, Dionne Mitchell, Tahira Jumah, Judy Duff, Noel McKoy, Jimmy James, Rosetta Hightower, Odette Adams, Janine Johnson, Michael Lloyd Pinq, Pearly Gates, Jay Harvey, Donna Williams, Kitty Corbin, Verna Francis, and more ......

Are you going to be posting clips before its release?

Social source share

Re Bobby Hebb.

Is this a re-recording, or the original with tamborine added over the top?

Sounds mighty close to the original - even the backing singers and sax are spot on...

Some singers like Frank Wilson, Sidney Barnes, Leon Haywood, Bobby Hebb, Tobi Legend, Pat Lewis, were far more able to exactly match their originals than others like Bobby Paris and Bobby Sheen.

Social source share

Are you going to be posting clips before its release?

Probably, if I haven't been banned by then for telling some of these lovely people on here exactly what I REALLY think about them and their bias.

Social source share

Thanks Ian - now give Tommy Hunt the reasons you didn't play it back in the day - I am sure he will understand.

Give it a rest, Epic. You're becoming like a pitbull.

Social source share

Some singers like Frank Wilson, Sidney Barnes, Leon Haywood, Bobby Hebb, Tobi Legend, Pat Lewis, were far more able to exactly match their originals than others like Bobby Paris and Bobby Sheen.

Thanks for the reply.

I was actually commenting on the backing singers and sax - it's so close that I wouldn't be suprised if you said you'd remixed the original - or sampled sections of it at least.

Social source share

Tommy is fantastic but it leaves me wanting more from the band don't know what it is.

I am very tempted to say a slap across the face, but I shall refrain from doing so.

Social source share

I'll bet you send the BBC letters of complaint about Little Britain.

Why would I? The writers don't pass themselves off as a civil liberties champions like you do Obama Ian.

btw, have you managed to look at the post I mentioned? You know the one where you effectively lie/deliberately get it wrong, to try and prove a point.

Let me know if you need me to find it for you. I predict you will.

Social source share

Why would I? The writers don't pass themselves off as a civil liberties champions like you do Obama Ian.

btw, have you managed to look at the post I mentioned? You know the one where you effectively lie/deliberately get it wrong, to try and prove a point.

Let me know if you need me to find it for you. I predict you will.

All these trolls are beginning to look and sound the same and all merge into one mass of disrespectful anarchy. I just switch off.

Social source share

Well here's the latest Manifesto review from one "DJ Frank" who's not known for mincing his words LOL.....

Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers - DVD Review - Manifesto - November 2008

Before I launch into this review, I'd like to put everything in context for the benefit of any youngsters out there who may not know the history behind this fascinating project.

Ian Levine was a Northern Soul DJ in the early 1970's at one of Soul music's most influential and important venues, the legendary Blackpool Mecca. There is no doubt that Levine (along with his Mecca co-DJ Colin Curtis) was responsible for finding and playing literally hundreds of the records we now know as classics, both in Northern Soul and Modern Soul. His contribution to both scenes is beyond question.

However it wasn't always an easy ride. Levine has always attracted a large degree of controversy throughout his life. He was almost cursed for being the offspring of rich parents, being Jewish and, eventually, being gay - all three things being the diametric opposite of what was essentially a working class scene in the North of the UK. I think it's fair to say that Ian Levine was never a natural fit.

Add to the above, the fact that he often came across as arrogant, stubborn, outspoken, selfish and totally committed to his own views and you have a perfect recipe for an easy target and an object of derision over the years.

However it's these very attributes that are actually his strength. He's had to develop a thick skin throughout his whole life, so any criticism or bigotry has always tended to roll off his back over time. It's his own defence mechanism because, frankly, most people in his shoes would have given up a long time ago.

I made my own mind up about Ian Levine a long time ago - virtually within the first few weeks of meeting him sometime in the early 1970's. I realised very early on that he had the sort of single-minded dedication and focus on what he wanted to do in life that should be applauded rather then rejected.

The connoisseurs always knew the score. Levine had the best ears in the business at a crucial time in Northern Soul history and he and Curtis virtually invented what would become the Modern Soul scene.

So, fast forward some 35 years and here we have Ian Levine's latest production - a phenomenal 5 DVD box set which contains 200 performances from some of the greatest Northern Soul and Soul artists who have graced our ears throughout our lives.

"Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers" is the result of lifetime of passion for Soul music and it shows. After all, who else would have had the single-minded determination to track down all these artists and record and film their performances for posterity?

Yep. That same arrogant, stubborn, outspoken, selfish twat that we all love to hate!

Well, it's time to bury whatever residual hate which may be lurking in peoples hearts, for this is truly a phenomenal project which thoroughly deserves the attention it's now getting - it's been in the Amazon top 10 pre-order DVD's for the last 8 weeks and it's not difficult to see why.

Nothing like this has ever been assembled before. It's something really special folks. The recent passing of so many of our heroes merely underlines the importance of this project. "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers" catches so many of our forgotten heroes, that there won't be a dry eye in the house for anyone who has worshipped these artists throughout their lives.

The sheer mind-boggling SCALE of the project should nullify any criticism of any individual performances. Shit, we're lucky that someone had the determination to take on such a huge project!

Add to the above the fact that since the completion of this masterpiece, sadly the following artists have passed away: Erma Franklin, Willie Hutch, Tommy Ridgley, Johnny Moore, Joe Stubbs, all of The Lovetones (apart from the lead singer), Sam Ward, two of The Carstairs, Saundra Edwards, Doris Troy, Edwin Starr, Earl Van Dyke, Bobby Sheen, one of The Dramatics, Richard Popcorn Wylie, C.P. Spencer, some of The Royal Jokers, Walter lead singer of The Olympics, James Fountain, Freddy Butler, Bob Relf, George Williams lead singer of The Tymes, Ray Pollard, Jackie Day, all three of The Tempos, Little Ann and Emanuel Lasky.

To me this pretty much puts things in perspective.

I could wax lyrical about many of the performances but frankly what's the point? The fact of the matter is that thanks to Ian Levine, we at least have the chance to savour the performances which the maestro did get on film and, for that alone, we should be extremely thankful.

Naturally "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers" will be a magnificent stocking-filler for anyone who takes the history of Northern Soul seriously.

At last we have a time-capsule which will resonate with audiences for decades to come.

Every home should have one!

Ian D :shhh:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Well just ploughed my way through the last few pages very depressing reading indeed. There are a few people who should be ashamed of themselves.

Derek

Social source share

As Pete Smith said, it is indeed Carol Johnson, now Carol Canty, the absolute original singer of The Sapphires.

But you're looking at the old version. The whole point is we spent a fortune in time and money redoing them.

Look at it now and hopefully, whilst not the slickest of them all, it might not look too bad after all.

Oh my god, it gets worse!

This looks like the old folks home have been on a one day 'Learn how to make a snazzy pop video' course & dragged in some trendy dancers from the studio next door.

Simon sad.gif

Social source share

However it wasn't always an easy ride. Levine has always attracted a large degree of controversy throughout his life. He was almost cursed for being the offspring of rich parents, being Jewish and, eventually, being gay - all three things being the diametric opposite of what was essentially a working class scene in the North of the UK. I think it's fair to say that Ian Levine was never a natural fit.

To me this pretty much puts things in perspective. :shhh: funny perspective I lived behind the synagogue in St Annes and my bin man was gay and a DJ get real its not the 1930ts but 1970ts

I really can't see what this has to do with a DVD or are you saying to judge the box set we have to take his past, present, swings and roundabouts into account when its the artist and sound on trial hear.

Rubbish :yes: . You want to get out a in Soho a bit more if you think this needs posting on hear.

Social source share

Well just ploughed my way through the last few pages very depressing reading indeed. There are a few people who should be ashamed of themselves.

Derek

I think you'll find just the one person, Derek, the rest of us are just expressing an honest view about music/video via a forum.

Simon

Social source share

Oh my god, it gets worse!

This looks like the old folks home have been on a one day 'Learn how to make a snazzy pop video' course & dragged in some trendy dancers from the studio next door.

Simon

You are a disgrace to the soul music I champion.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go away.

I can't stomach any more of you on this thread. I really can't. And if Mike thinks I have gone too far, I would rather quit for good than suffer any more of this bilge. Just go away and stay out of my face. I can't stand you.

Social source share

To me this pretty much puts things in perspective. :shhh:

I really can't see what this has to do with a DVD or are you saying to judge the box set we have to take his past, present, swings and roundabouts into account when its the artist and sound on trial hear.

Rubbish :yes: . You want to get out a in Soho a bit more if you think this needs posting on hear.

This was to put a bit of background context behind the project for the benefit of people who may be new to the scene. Plus it's true. I was there and witnessed a lot of bigotry and tittle-tattle against Levine first hand so I thought it was relevent to the story behind the release as I can't think of anyone else who has assembled a project like this against such a welter of sustained criticism.

There could potentially be some people who could get influenced by some of the unfair criticism which gets levelled at Levine and who may avoid the project for ridiculous reasons, so I thought it was only fair to put some context in there. I'll do likewise for the next guy who comes along with a 5 x DVD set of 200 performances, OK?

Been going to Soho for the last 36 years mate - it's where I used to buy many of my records back in the 70's!

Ian D :no:

Social source share

I think you'll find just the one person, Derek, the rest of us are just expressing an honest view about music/video via a forum.

Simon

We know you dont like anything IL,so why keep on its boring :shhh: its not like the world will stop if you didnt post your honest views is it !! and Love Love Love is fantastic better than the original more gritty and i like them drum thingie's. :yes: then again i know fukc all bout' music.

Social source share

Well here's the latest Manifesto review from one "DJ Frank" who's not known for mincing his words LOL.....

Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers - DVD Review - Manifesto - November 2008

Before I launch into this review, I'd like to put everything in context for the benefit of any youngsters out there who may not know the history behind this fascinating project.

Ian Levine was a Northern Soul DJ in the early 1970's at one of Soul music's most influential and important venues, the legendary Blackpool Mecca. There is no doubt that Levine (along with his Mecca co-DJ Colin Curtis) was responsible for finding and playing literally hundreds of the records we now know as classics, both in Northern Soul and Modern Soul. His contribution to both scenes is beyond question.

Add to the above, the fact that he often came across as arrogant, stubborn, outspoken, selfish and totally committed to his own views and you have a perfect recipe for an easy target and an object of derision over the years.

However it's these very attributes that are actually his strength. He's had to develop a thick skin throughout his whole life, so any criticism or bigotry has always tended to roll off his back over time. It's his own defence mechanism because, frankly, most people in his shoes would have given up a long time ago.

I made my own mind up about Ian Levine a long time ago - virtually within the first few weeks of meeting him sometime in the early 1970's. I realised very early on that he had the sort of single-minded dedication and focus on what he wanted to do in life that should be applauded rather then rejected.

The connoisseurs always knew the score. Levine had the best ears in the business at a crucial time in Northern Soul history and he and Curtis virtually invented what would become the Modern Soul scene.

So, fast forward some 35 years and here we have Ian Levine's latest production - a phenomenal 5 DVD box set which contains 200 performances from some of the greatest Northern Soul and Soul artists who have graced our ears throughout our lives.

"Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers" is the result of lifetime of passion for Soul music and it shows. After all, who else would have had the single-minded determination to track down all these artists and record and film their performances for posterity?

Yep. That same arrogant, stubborn, outspoken, selfish twat that we all love to hate!

Well, it's time to bury whatever residual hate which may be lurking in peoples hearts, for this is truly a phenomenal project which thoroughly deserves the attention it's now getting - it's been in the Amazon top 10 pre-order DVD's for the last 8 weeks and it's not difficult to see why.

Nothing like this has ever been assembled before. It's something really special folks. The recent passing of so many of our heroes merely underlines the importance of this project. "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers" catches so many of our forgotten heroes, that there won't be a dry eye in the house for anyone who has worshipped these artists throughout their lives.

The sheer mind-boggling SCALE of the project should nullify any criticism of any individual performances. Shit, we're lucky that someone had the determination to take on such a huge project!

Add to the above the fact that since the completion of this masterpiece, sadly the following artists have passed away: Erma Franklin, Willie Hutch, Tommy Ridgley, Johnny Moore, Joe Stubbs, all of The Lovetones (apart from the lead singer), Sam Ward, two of The Carstairs, Saundra Edwards, Doris Troy, Edwin Starr, Earl Van Dyke, Bobby Sheen, one of The Dramatics, Richard Popcorn Wylie, C.P. Spencer, some of The Royal Jokers, Walter lead singer of The Olympics, James Fountain, Freddy Butler, Bob Relf, George Williams lead singer of The Tymes, Ray Pollard, Jackie Day, all three of The Tempos, Little Ann and Emanuel Lasky.

To me this pretty much puts things in perspective.

I could wax lyrical about many of the performances but frankly what's the point? The fact of the matter is that thanks to Ian Levine, we at least have the chance to savour the performances which the maestro did get on film and, for that alone, we should be extremely thankful.

Naturally "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers" will be a magnificent stocking-filler for anyone who takes the history of Northern Soul seriously.

At last we have a time-capsule which will resonate with audiences for decades to come.

Every home should have one!

Ian D :shhh:

I enjoyed reading that Ian but you should remove the two swear words, they're not needed and removing them won't detract anything from the piece. Good stuff though.

Social source share

We know you dont like anything IL

Not true Kenneth, i've already posted up on this thread that i like Venicia Wilson, Miquel Brown, Hazel Dean etc.

Simon

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

That's not good at all, is it? Be honest...

Social source share

Not true Kenneth, i've already posted up on this thread that i like Venicia Wilson, Miquel Brown, Hazel Dean etc.

Simon

Soz i must keep up Simon,then again !! :shhh: back too freebasin' for me.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Ian, you should have a listen to the new Tom Jones single. It's not perfect, but if you moved your production away from the S,A + W sound ala 'I Should Be So Lucky', and into a rougher less electronic sound the records would sound more authentic and have appeal away from the clucking chooks at your feet and the nostalgia brigade.

Social source share