Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

In fairness some of Ian's comments have been inflammatory to say the least.

Yeah but he was baited almost incessantly Epic. This particular project has consumed him for the last 2 years, he sees it as a valid piece of work and I think a lot of the criticism towards him has been very personal. I seem to recall him quite reasonably asking various parties to ignore the thread if they weren't into what he was doing which seems eminently fair to me. The thread states quite clearly what it's about and Levine's deliberately kept out of any other threads to avoid getting dragged into any more controversy. I think most people would probably be pretty pissed-off if their work was trashed in the same way wouldn't they?

He's just an easy target for some people.

However, I think over 130,000 views over both parts of the thread tell their own story.

I asked him to try and rise above it all, keep his dignity and come back on here. The Mel Britt ommission's put him on a pretty big downer though so I guess it's not been a good week for him all round........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Really? That's great exposure, that might cheer Ian up a bit

and here it is

Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers

• transparent.gif
  • transparent.gif

(E, £34.99) 5/5 31/10/2008

Northern Soul fans will be in a spin about this excellent compilation of classics.

Nearly every significant track in the genre has been filmed and performed, in most cases by the original artists.

Featuring tracks such as Out On The Floor, I Get The Sweetest Feeling and Love On A Mountain Top, and with 200 performances spread across five DVDs, this is music history summed up in a beautifully packaged box.

Social source share

That is the best of the lot in my opinion, it's so close to the original...in fact it sounds just like the original except for the overamplified tambourine

I've just listened to it 3 times, i can hear the over amplified tambourine but i can also hear some sort of drum machine or new backing?

His voice is still fantastic granted, the rest i won't comment on for obvious reasons.

Simon

Social source share

I've just listened to it 3 times, i can hear the over amplified tambourine but i can also hear some sort of drum machine or new backing?

His voice is still fantastic granted, the rest i won't comment on for obvious reasons.

Simon

Of course it's a new backing, they couldn't use the old ones, remember? Though I think the strings are sampled..

Social source share

Yeah but he was baited almost incessantly Epic. This particular project has consumed him for the last 2 years, he sees it as a valid piece of work and I think a lot of the criticism towards him has been very personal. I seem to recall him quite reasonably asking various parties to ignore the thread if they weren't into what he was doing which seems eminently fair to me. The thread states quite clearly what it's about and Levine's deliberately kept out of any other threads to avoid getting dragged into any more controversy. I think most people would probably be pretty pissed-off if their work was trashed in the same way wouldn't they?

He's just an easy target for some people.

However, I think over 130,000 views over both parts of the thread tell their own story.

I asked him to try and rise above it all, keep his dignity and come back on here. The Mel Britt ommission's put him on a pretty big downer though so I guess it's not been a good week for him all round........

Ian D :thumbsup:

With respect Ian, I think there was little point posting on a public forum if all he was seeking was positive feedback. Surely it's about discussion. The biggest problem in my opinion, was the way that Ian responded to criticism by attacking members personally. Had he managed rise above it I feel sure he would have been left alone.

Social source share

130,000 or 130,0000000 views makes no difference, how many times do you refresh your page that counts as 1 and if you refresh every 5 mins then its bound to bump the score up.

Ian, I took your Cafe Reggolouse up by 60 points just by refreshing my page, think it was around the 640 to 700 mark the time you went to Prestatyn :thumbsup:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I think people on this thread are confusing disrespect with criticism, yes Ian should indeed be respected for his years and contribution but he should not be beyond criticism when putting commercial stuff out. I think these versions are so far from representing northern soul. They have none of the delivery of the original and the production is stuck in stock Aiken and waterman territory of the lowest caliber. Im not some die hard NS but if i was id be ashamed that was out there misguiding people as to what NS is. Would any of these versions ever get a spin anywhere? please tell me no!

On a positive note i love Ian's James Wells prod from 1978 "my claim to fame" is a great one for my disco soul sets.

I just dont think acting all "emperors new clothes" about the videos is the right things to do if they are being posted publicly.

"I think people on this thread are confusing disrespect with criticism,"

That phrase sums up the unfounded reason for a lot of people's indignation.

Good post!

Social source share

"However it wasn't always an easy ride. Levine has always attracted a large degree of controversy throughout his life. He was almost cursed for being the offspring of rich parents, being Jewish and, eventually, being gay - all three things being the diametric opposite of what was essentially a working class scene in the North of the UK. I think it's fair to say that Ian Levine was never a natural fit.

Add to the above, the fact that he often came across as arrogant, stubborn, outspoken, selfish and totally committed to his own views and you have a perfect recipe for an easy target and an object of derision over the years.

However it's these very attributes that are actually his strength. He's had to develop a thick skin throughout his whole life, so any criticism or bigotry has always tended to roll off his back over time. It's his own defence mechanism because, frankly, most people in his shoes would have given up a long time ago".

As recently as a few weeks ago, I had a well-known figure on the scene state to me that anyone could have found the records that Levine found had they had rich

parents! Plus I've lost count of the amount of times Levine has been slurred for his beliefs, his sexual orientation and his physique - you only have to read this very thread for some examples - the worst ones have quite rightly been removed by the mods.

The 70's were a vastly different landscape to today James. I got death threats from the NF for playing playing black music in the 70's plus I saw first hand the upset that bigotry and racism caused some of my friends of mine at the time and there are people on here who will concurr with that.

Having said that, the Northern scene was much better than most in these aspects, but don't make the mistake of thinking that everything was squeaky clean and politically correct back then because it wasn't.

For a guy who's just spent the best part of a couple of years putting such a huge project together I think Levine's come in for a lot of unwarranted personal abuse as this thread clearly shows. As I stated at the beginning of the review, I was merely trying to put some historical context in there for the benefit of younger readers who can't understand the amount of bile which pours forth whenever Ian Levine's name gets mentioned.

Are you coming to the launch on Monday? :thumbsup:

Ian D :boxing:

The original post from which the bold area above is taken.. is it supposed to be a review of the DVDs?

If so, only a small proportion it is relevant IMHO.

The rest seems to be a potted biography of Levine and the first bold para above is a bit of socio-psycho babble that does a disservice to the 70s scene! In what way would that influence "people new to the scene" to buy the DVDs?

Social source share

Absolutely stunning.

And after all the plays, for all those years it's still a fookin tune to be reckoned with.

:rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more.... awesome :thumbsup:

"It takes a man with insight yes it does - to truly understand"

Intersting lyrics with regard to this thread me thinks...

Social source share

=========

sounds gr8 - if only u cud get copies to radio 2 and make their record of the week or somerthing..

Why would you want to do that, the one thing i really don't get about this thread is people that purport to like NS & have spent most of their lives championing it are happy for this sub standard soundalike stuff to be put forward as Northern Soul.

I think Dave Moore said earlier on in this thread that i don't get it, you're right Dave i really don't get it.

Last word on any IL stuff from me ever you'll be glad to hear, one it's probably boring everyone to tears & two it's starting to really annoy me personally.

I'll stick with what i consider to be the real stuff, gonna spend my time on SS from now on debating & getting involved in the proper stuff.

Ian, if you want to come back i promise i'll contribute no further to this thread.

Simon

Social source share

Why would you want to do that, the one thing i really don't get about this thread is people that purport to like NS & have spent most of their lives championing it are happy for this sub standard soundalike stuff to be put forward as Northern Soul.

I think Dave Moore said earlier on in this thread that i don't get it, you're right Dave i really don't get it.

Simon

Simon,

Don't worry about it Mate. We can't all be the same can we?

Oh....And I try not to 'Purport" in public as the wife gets on to me about mi manners. :thumbsup::rolleyes:

I'll be at the Burnley Allnighter end of the month so I'll buy you a beer and we can purport together if you're around them parts.

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

what am i going to read while at work now?

LEON TROTSKY-THE HISTORY OF THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION!

the way things are playing out in the world- you may need it! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Last word on any IL stuff from me ever you'll be glad to hear, one it's probably boring everyone to tears & two it's starting to really annoy me personally.

I'll stick with what i consider to be the real stuff, gonna spend my time on SS from now on debating & getting involved in the proper stuff.

Ian, if you want to come back i promise i'll contribute no further to this thread.

Simon

I have just read this post and then called up Mr Levine. He is very grateful and thankful for your promise not to contribute to this thread, and if James Trouble will make the same guarantee, then he'd be back on here in flash :rolleyes:

I am sure that what Dave meant about you not getting it is right IMO too. IT'S ABOUT THE ARTISTS. When I called Ian he played me a "rough" mix of a track recorded this week by Tommy Hunt. I think it's brill. Not everyone will agree when they hear it I'm sure. But ..... It's Tommy Hunt, who's been performing this music since 1956, and still today 52 years later in his 70's can still do it!

Amazing.

Keep on, keeping on Ian.

Phil

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I have just read this post and then called up Mr Levine. He is very grateful and thankful for your promise not to contribute to this thread, and if James Trouble will make the same guarantee, then he'd be back on here in flash :rolleyes:

Phil

Sorry, no.

Why doesn't he start his own forum?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Sorry to see Ian go. I was really pleased with the original SWONS all those great artists singing the songs that have meant so much to people over the years. I work in a University Library and we've got a collection of Folk songs recorded from the 50's through to the 80's. They are recordings of singers who are now passed away. The reason we have this collection is that one man decided that he was going to travel the country and capture the songs on tape many of them have been recorded in kitchens and living rooms and trailers and some of the singers are clearly well past pension age. If this man hadn't had the energy and passion to get out there and get these songs recorded it is possible a whole era could have slipped by without future generations knowing of it's existence. I could quibble about some of the productions but I'm not going too, I'm just glad we've got them and the younger students use them a lot.

All the best

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

Guest familytree

A forum is a place for debate, constructive critisism etc but it appears all the negative comments are towards the production quality and it not being as good as the original?! could it ever be, was that the objective of the project?? if so it was very optimistic.

As ive said before i see it as a documment for prosperity, acknowledging the artists contribution and showing appreciation. A chance to re-live the moment by singing again cant be begrudged surely, what ever the quality? you can clearly see their enjoyment on the videos and that is beyond judgement in my humble opinion.

Social source share

A forum is a place for debate, constructive critisism etc but it appears all the negative comments are towards the production quality and it not being as good as the original?! could it ever be, was that the objective of the project?? if so it was very optimistic.

As ive said before i see it as a documment for prosperity, acknowledging the artists contribution and showing appreciation. A chance to re-live the moment by singing again cant be begrudged surely, what ever the quality? you can clearly see their enjoyment on the videos and that is beyond judgement in my humble opinion.

Correctomundo Family Tree! :g:

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

A chance to re-live the moment by singing again cant be begrudged

Don't think we begrudged any one FT we feel that these artists deserve more than what you would expect to hear on a Sunday night at The Conservative clubs summer bowls dinner and dance with Geoffrey and his Bontempo oneman bang organ.

Ian can boasts of having no 1 with the likes of Blue, Take That, Exciters I am sure they sound better than some of the soul tracks do.

We all want to give something back to these artist so I would rather pay to see them sing live, then I know they see my appreciation and I know they will get some money from it.

As Ian says he know has an 80 K bill for remixing the tapes that he has personally remixed, Humm?? and will never make a profit on this project so the artist will ever see a bean for their input unless I am mistaken.

Social source share

Guest familytree

Don't think we begrudged any one FT we feel that these artists deserve more than what you would expect to hear on a Sunday night at The Conservative clubs summer bowls dinner and dance with Geoffrey and his Bontempo oneman bang organ.

Then have a go and fund it, that will give you the right to do it your way but i can imagine the logistical nightmare not to mention cost of getting them all into a studio and paying session musicians.... looks like some got as far and some recorded in their homes? think its a case of needs must and the practicalities of doing it your way would cost the earth with so many artists. its not a replacement for the original record and these artist couldnt ask for more than for a man to hunt them out and show them the love by recording them for prosperity before its too late.. i dont think most would have ever been shown the same curtisy or respect in their musical careers.

Social source share

Ian can boasts of having no 1 with the likes of Blue, Take That, Exciters I am sure they sound better than some of the soul tracks do.

We all want to give something back to these artist so I would rather pay to see them sing live, then I know they see my appreciation and I know they will get some money from it.

As Ian says he know has an 80 K bill for remixing the tapes that he has personally remixed, Humm?? and will never make a profit on this project so the artist will ever see a bean for their input unless I am mistaken.

I have seen a couple of people back slapping over meeting Blah blah in blah blah when he sang blah blah for us blah blah, but if the artists are in concert then we all can back slap each other and blah blah, dose that make sense blah blah .

Social source share

Then have a go and fund it, that will give you the right to do it your way but i can imagine the logistical nightmare not to mention cost of getting them all into a studio and paying session musicians.... looks like some got as far and some recorded in their homes? think its a case of needs must and the practicalities of doing it your way would cost the earth with so many artists. its not a replacement for the original record and these artist couldnt ask for more than for a man to hunt them out and show them the love by recording them for prosperity before its too late.. i dont think most would have ever been shown the same curtisy or respect in their musical careers.

Hummm

If I had had such big success with Take That and Blue owned a recording studio and had rich parents and give the dead life I would I can assure you but I am too busy leading and running my life :g: and why should I mimic IL I am not a copy cat its his idea not mine, its not something I want to do but if I did I would do it very well.

Do you own any IL CD's I do and don't like them one bit. I bought them by err! familiarity I know the artist I know the song but when I get home, take off the wrapper and play the thing all the tracks have been remixed and re done and I don't like the sound, they all sound the same! sorry

I ain't complaining about the filming, if that's what you (for the time the singer and the camera man together) get then thats it. All this was filmed 10 or 12 years ago for SWON except the 50 new tracks Four Vandals etc etc, The complaint is the music if you have a recording studio and the equipment then it's a job made a bit easier.

I have seen 2 piece and 5 piece bands do a great job how much would that cost for a few musician to listen to a tape or record then record over a track for 200 records, a week 2 weeks and will that cost 80 thousand pounds I somehow doubt it in IMO.

Social source share

And that has been the crux of Ians argument (defence?) all along.

This is essentially a historical document recorded for posterity.

We can all debate the production values, we can all debate personalities but has anyone else undertook a project of this size?

Ir's not perfect, but its the best there is, unless any one knows better.

If they do then please point me in the Clara Ward.

Social source share

And that has been the crux of Ians argument (defence?) all along.

We can all debate the production values, we can all debate personalities but has anyone else undertook a project of this size?

Ir's not perfect, but its the best there is, unless any one knows better.

If they do then please point me in the Clara Ward.

Great but the back bone of this fish is 10 years old and its been remixed refreshed so what's new. Oh no I know what's new, I mean hey! what's new :g:

If that's what you want, is it! or is it because every soulie should have it like a copy of the 3 before 8 or I am Coming Home In The Morning, should he?.

Or was it that sales pitch no respecting solie can not miss out on owning again this (on the new DVD box set) fabulous item.

I am happy to use them as a reference from Utube I don't collect DVD's I would rather go to the cinema. that's me :lol:

Social source share

Guest familytree

Hummm

f I had had such big success with Take That and Blue owned a recording studio and had rich parents and give the dead life I would I can assure you but I am too busy leading and running my life :g: and why should I mimik IL I am not a copy cat its his idea not mine.

I ain't complaining about the filming, if that's what you (for the time the singer and the camera man together) get then thats it. All this was filmed 10 or 12 years ago for SWON except the 50 new tracks Four Vandals etc etc, The complaint is the music if you have a recording studio and the equipment then it's a job made a bit easier.

I have seen 2 piece and 5 piece bands do a great job how much would that cost for a few musician to listen to a tape or record then record over a track for 200 records, a week 2 weeks and will that cost 80 thousand pounds I somehow doubt it in IMO.

Rich or not its irrelevant, as a business man he would surely set a budget that probably rolled over but some things are a no winner as far as big profits are concerned and done out of passion, a lot of prommoters in here will understand that one. you would always have to hold that thought or things would run out of all proportion. Im sure hes aware hes unlikely to see a huge return on his endevours so its sensible to at least control spending to some degree.

We have no background on any of this as far as how the artists wanted to do it, its irrelevant and personal to Ian and them. The sound/production is his perogative as with any producer... you buy or you dont for your own personal reasons. This cannot detract from what has been done, credit where its due i say.

Social source share

Nothing new but I never said it was.

And please don't be selective on what you quote.

I made it very clear that I don't think its perfect but its the best available unless you know differently.

And I certainly didn't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't have.

That's down to an individuals choice.

No one is forcing anybody to buy it or even view the clips that are available.

Great but the back bone of this fish is 10 years old and its been remixed refreshed so what's new.

If that's what you want is it, or is it because every soulie should have it like a copy of the 3 before 8 or I am Coming Home In The Morning, should he?.

Social source share

Nothing new but I never said it was.

And please don't be selective on what you quote.

I made it very clear that I don't think its perfect but its the best available unless you know differently.

And I certainly didn't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't have.

That's down to an individuals choice.

No one is forcing anybody to buy it or even view the clips that are available.

Selective,you have the wrong end of the stick Tabs, I was agreeing with you about what the DVD is but its not for me mate simple as that. :g:

Social source share

Guest familytree

FT I don't dissagre with you I think it has taken more money than you estimate.

Most of these vids are 10 years old they have been released as Swons the video, swons the DVD and now 200FF. So was Swons given away and has never taken a penny ever.

I said he was a business man so i would hope he did make some money... i didnt estimate a figure i just dont imagine its huge in the scheme of things. what ever he makes its not wrong to do so, we all get paid for the work we do... how much is his business. i have a little insight to how much it costs to bring someone over to record something having done it and can assure you its a small fortune so for a project done out of passion I would say it would be ridiculous to fly 50 artists in to record here when returns are so small. How many people do you think are interested in this music? the market it very small, there is no money in it any more, thats why evryone is touring now, thats where the money is... so a good plan would be to follow up the release with a road show me thinx!... but again we are not talking big money with these artists... but you may get a small profit, enough to keep the wolves from the door (tee hee )

Social source share

Guest familytree

That's a nice picture FT is it part of your FT :g: something I am looking into.

Its me... in a good light!.. minus the wrinkles.. ha

Social source share

Apologies if I misunderstood. But it didn't read that way to me.

"This is essentially a historical document recorded for posterity." That's me

"If that's what you want, is it! or is it because every soulie should have it like a copy of the 3 before 8 or I am Coming Home In The Morning, should he?." Your reply

Anyway I think we agree we are passionate about the music. :g:

Best

Tabs

Selective, I was agreeing with you about what the DVD it is but its not for me mate simple as that. :lol:
Social source share