Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Right this is definitely (hopefully!) my last post on this mainly because some half truths are being written, from my point of view these are the facts:

1. Some of the videos/music that have been posted on this thread are dire IMHO.

2. I do not dislike Ian Levine even if some people would appear to be happy if i did.

3. Some of the music that Ian has made in the past & the present is great if not brilliant, Venicia Wilson for example, i also appreciate the vast amount of work that has gone into this project even if it isn't to my taste.

4. I do not have any personal problems with anyone & do not enjoy conflict or falling out with anyone, i DO NOT bait people intentionally.

5. I would gladly chat to & have a beer with anyone on this thread & that includes Ian.

6. I hope this thread can carry on without my input & that i haven't ruined for everyone.

7. Have a nice weekend & enjoy your Soul whatever form it may be in.

Simon

Dammit! We're running out of people to argue debate with! laugh.gif

Have a good weekend Simon.

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well I was there too and I can only report on numerous things which I both witnessed and heard with my own ears. Do you not remember the "Levine Must Go" campaign complete with banner or was that just a product of my over-active imagination too? How many people do you know who have solicited such a reaction?

"Neo-Nazi skinheads" and "hostile environment being portrayed by Ian D"? C'mon please Rod, that's really over-egging things a tad isn't it?

You only have to read both parts of this very thread from beginning to end to see plenty of evidence of the hostility towards Levine right here, prior to some of the more obnoxious posts being removed so they don't cause even more offence...........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ian

If I remember rightly there were T Shirts with the same message and dint someone spit in his face at a Ritz all dayer.

Personally dont like his approach and his disco-isation (is that a word ? ) of classic tunes and the crap SWONS IMO

However, I try to treat other people as I expect others to treat me

Steve

Social source share

Ian

If I remember rightly there were T Shirts with the same message and dint someone spit in his face at a Ritz all dayer.

Personally dont like his approach and his disco-isation (is that a word ? ) of classic tunes and the crap SWONS IMO

However, I try to treat other people as I expect others to treat me

Steve

Agree with the last sentence for sure Steve. thumbsup.gif

But again, if someone actually went to the trouble of making up "Levine Must Go" tee shirts as well as a banner in the mid 70's (when such things weren't as easy as today), that strikes me as being a bit of a concerted personal campaign by someone who went to great lengths to attack IL dontcha think? That kind of sounds like a vendetta to me........

If it were me, I might have have voiced my discontent and even had a discreet word with the management or better still just gone to Wigan. But printing up tee-shirts.....?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Yes its the longer version but this is Ian and someone else mix.

I have the other on a Dore CD

I appreciate this is Ian's mix - I never knew there was a "longer" original take and this is one of my favourite sixties tunes. Do you have any more info on the longer version?

This may be a stupid question but I've never heard of it.

mellow.gif

Social source share

Am I loosing the plot or does that have loads of additional lyrics?

huh.gif

It is a longer version Peter , containing the same verses and lyrics : whoever has remixed it has done a somewhat creditable job , but the

" cascade " behind the vocals in places is king irretating .......

Is this one of Ian's ? I have not heard it before , and if not . is someone going to put their hands up and admit the

" creativity " ? ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I appreciate this is Ian's mix - I never knew there was a "longer" original take and this is one of my favourite sixties tunes. Do you have any more info on the longer version?

mellow.gif

Its at work I will get it later on and post it up, unissued longer Dore version and yes more words.

Andy Rix played it one night so I went out and bought the CD but got the wrong one.

This mix is on a Joeboy CD from 1998

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Toy........? :lol:

Are you sure that this is a valid derogatory term Dave? laugh.gif

Will you be pacing yourself beverage wise , on Monday night Ian ? ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

This keeps freaking me out, I think my mac has an alarm that the HD is gonna pack up.

The house mix but I am not sure if its the terrace or semi- detached. :lol:

DREADFUL :lol: is that an ice-cream van we can hear behind the vocals? perhaps her love has gone to get a rum & raisin choc ice whistling.gif

Social source share

It is a longer version Peter , containing the same verses and lyrics : whoever has remixed it has done a somewhat creditable job , but the

" cascade " behind the vocals in places is king irretating .......

Is this one of Ian's ? I have not heard it before , and if not . is someone going to put their hands up and admit the

" creativity " ? ......

Malc Burton

I agree Malc - it's a creditable enough job. I don't particularly like the drum machine etc.

However, I'm pretty sure I've never heard at least one of the verses in this version. Are we saying that there were two original takes on Dore - a longer and shorter version? I'm confused.

Phroph has now clarified Malc

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Its at work I will get it later on and post it up, unissued longer Dore version and yes more words.

Andy Rix played it one night so I went out and bought the CD but got the wrong one.

Cheers mate. That clarifies it. Always plenty to learn.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I take it that the unreleased version on an acetate Proph , as I assume it never made it to a press ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Really look forward to hearing the longer, unreleased Dore version. I've always loved this record - northern soul of the highest order. Definitiely in my top ten of all time.

thumbsup.gif

agreed...of the highest order yes.gif

but not that dreadful remix with the ice-cream van no.gif

Social source share

mellow.gif

Do you mean Rita & The Tiaras? The long version with the extra verse first appeared on an LP on Horaces label of Dore material in the early 90's, I think they were given it by mistake from the masters.

Social source share

Do you mean Rita & The Tiaras? The long version with the extra verse first appeared on an LP on Horaces label of Dore material in the early 90's, I think they were given it by mistake from the masters.

Yes Pete.

I've never heard that additional verse take. Hopefully Proph will post it up later.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Will you be pacing yourself beverage wise , on Monday night Ian ? ........

Malc Burton

Well it's a Monday night so I'll probably keep things pretty low key, so I guess it'll be 2 x grams of coke, a bag of hydroponic skunk, a couple of Kesey endorsed acid tabs, a handful of uppers, downers, snoozers and screamers, £20 quids worth of MDMA, a half-pint of liquid mescalin and a few beers. That should get me in the mood....... laugh.gif

Social source share

Well it's a Monday night so I'll probably keep things pretty low key, so I guess it'll be 2 x grams of coke, a bag of hydroponic skunk, a couple of Kesey endorsed acid tabs, a handful of uppers, downers, snoozers and screamers, £20 quids worth of MDMA, a half-pint of liquid mescalin and a few beers. That should get me in the mood....... laugh.gif

:lol:

That's how I like to pace myself Ian.

Sounds like a page from Fear and Loathing!

Social source share

Lightweight :lol:

Social source share

Well it's a Monday night so I'll probably keep things pretty low key, so I guess it'll be 2 x grams of coke, a bag of hydroponic skunk, a couple of Kesey endorsed acid tabs, a handful of uppers, downers, snoozers and screamers, £20 quids worth of MDMA, a half-pint of liquid mescalin and a few beers. That should get me in the mood....... :lol:

Is that while the baths runnin? shades.gif

Social source share

Lightweight :lol:

LOL, trust me to pick the one forum where such things don't impress!

Of course, anyone who might want to introduce some new tools to my armoury, is very welcome. I'll probably start flagging @ around 11.00pm.......... thumbsup.gif

On the other hand, I'd better keep my shit together thinking about it. I'll have Levine yelling in my ear whilst I'm keeping a sharp eye on Gavin at the same time as sorting James Trouble out with a drink in the deepest darkest corner of the gaff! That's if his timetable permits that is.......... :lol:

Social source share

Well well well, So the mans gone then has he? Job must be done then, new DVD box set promoted, money in the bank, sorted.

Im a little confused at which point he decided to make his exit, who was the poor unfortunate one that got the blame for his demise??? Cos he had to blame someone, as do a few others that posted on this thread, the thread was about the promotion and production of his latest business adventure and through advertising here people posted their likes and dislikes about it, I came into the latter category as I have felt for a very long time, his releases have been targetted towards the joe public element of the music industry, its a commercial project nothing more and nothing less to make money. Its never ever been about this scene today. I have never liked the dodgy backbeat with a tinny tambourine added to some classic tracks .. the Mel Britt youtube track for example!!!!!!! For gawds sake no wonder the soul scene is in the current state its in if people are actually playing that out!!!!!!

sleep3.gif

Social source share

good idea to catch up on your sleep Pete with a new little person on the way :lol:

Sleep I will do tonight, we hired an industrial vacuum cleaner to do the whole house, then washed down the paintwork, put the cot together and so on, I'm shattered and I was only giving out the orders laugh.gif

my parents have got Sam and Dee's Dad has got the dog so this is our last ever free weekend night to ourselves, shame I've got 2 matches to watch...

Social source share

Sleep I will do tonight, we hired an industrial vacuum cleaner to do the whole house, then washed down the paintwork, put the cot together and so on, I'm shattered and I was only giving out the orders laugh.gif

my parents have got Sam and Dee's Dad has got the dog so this is our last ever free weekend night to ourselves, shame I've got 2 matches to watch...

Social source share

Didn't he pass away, or am I remembering wrong ??

Can someone else from Blackpool confirm this ???

Bob Stevens was his best friend, and it was Bob who had the big soul collection. Sandy's was mainly pop.

Sadly she did, For memory I have a photo to remind us of her, Which I will post.

Andy.

Social source share

sleep3.gif

You are a waste Mate! Just a Pretender!

And you Know Nothing about NS

Absouletly FA!

Never in my life have I read CRAP like yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

Social source share

You are a waste Mate! Just a Pretender!

And you Know Nothing about NS

Absouletly FA!

Never in my life have I read CRAP like yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

Dear dear Andy,

Against my initial better judgement, I had to come back on here to correct you.

It was that sadly deluded and misguided person, Sister Dawn's, "crap" that upset you Andy.

Pete Smith was merely reading it and giving a snooze sign, which was fully and wholly appropriate under the circumstances.

But Pete Smith is a good guy, and because he was commenting on the rubbish post, and his was the name in the quote, you accidentally made it look like it was him you were calling a Pretender, when in fact it was Sister Dawn you were referring to.

I couldn't sit by and see Smiffy accused of something, when he's one of the good guys, one of the best in fact.

I have decided to ignore all the bullshite and treat James Trouble with the gross contempt which his ego deserves, and not let a person for whom I have ZERO tolerance, and ZERO respect, drive me away from a forum which I was enjoying.

At least Bridger had the good sense to quit.

To James Trouble, Sister Dawn, and Dave, tough shite - I won't I WON'T I WON'T let you defeat my spirit.

I shall merely think of ways to treat you with the absolute contempt that you most certainly and truly deserve, somewhere away from this forum.

And I have a bloody long memory.

A BLOODY LONG MEMORY.

Social source share

Well well well, So the mans gone then has he? Job must be done then, new DVD box set promoted, money in the bank, sorted.

Im a little confused at which point he decided to make his exit, who was the poor unfortunate one that got the blame for his demise??? Cos he had to blame someone, as do a few others that posted on this thread, the thread was about the promotion and production of his latest business adventure and through advertising here people posted their likes and dislikes about it, I came into the latter category as I have felt for a very long time, his releases have been targetted towards the joe public element of the music industry, its a commercial project nothing more and nothing less to make money. Its never ever been about this scene today. I have never liked the dodgy backbeat with a tinny tambourine added to some classic tracks .. the Mel Britt youtube track for example!!!!!!! For gawds sake no wonder the soul scene is in the current state its in if people are actually playing that out!!!!!!

Go breathe cyanide

Social source share

I'll have Levine yelling in my ear whilst I'm keeping a sharp eye on Gavin at the same time as sorting James Trouble out with a drink in the deepest darkest corner of the gaff! That's if his timetable permits that is..........

I suggest you tell him he is most unwelcome, in no uncertain terms, and if he dares to show his face, I will not be responsible for the consequences.

Just tell him to keep clear. It's a private party and his is absolutely 100% NOT WANTED AND NOT WELCOME

Social source share

Dear dear Andy,

It was that sadly deluded and misguided person, Sister Dawn's, "crap" that upset you Andy.

Pete Smith was merely reading it and giving a snooze sign, which was fully and wholly appropriate under the circumstances.

But Pete Smith is a good guy, and because he was commenting on the rubbish post, and his was the name in the quote, you accidentally made it look like it was him you were calling a Pretender, when in fact it was Sister Dawn you were referring to.

I couldn't sit by and see Smiffy accused of something, when he's one of the good guys, one of the best in fact.

I have decided to ignore all the bullshite and treat James Trouble with the gross contempt which his ego deserves, and not let a person for whom I have ZERO tolerance, and ZERO respect, drive me away from a forum which I was enjoying.

To James Trouble, Sister Dawn, and Dave, tough shite - I won't I WON'T I WON'T let you defeat my spirit.

I shall merely think of ways to treat you with the absolute contempt that you most certainly and truly deserve, somewhere away from this forum.

A BLOODY LONG MEMORY.

WELCOME BACK IAN !

Social source share

I suggest you tell him he is most unwelcome, in no uncertain terms, and if he dares to show his face, I will not be responsible for the consequences.

Just tell him to keep clear. It's a private party and his is absolutely 100% NOT WANTED AND NOT WELCOME

Oh come on Ian - we want the night to have some pzazz and an element of frission don't we? James is just playing his angry outspoken young man card - not a million miles disimilar to someone else I knew at that age years ago!

I'm not sure if he can make it anyway............

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Dear dear Andy,

It was a an observation not crap

stop clicking your ruby slippers together dear

I sincerely hope that you are not threatening me Ian Levine or anyone else for that matter,

A BLOODY LONG MEMORY.

And So Do I !!!

Social source share

Oh come on Ian - we want the night to have some pzazz and an element of frission don't we? James is just playing his angry outspoken young man card - not a million miles disimilar to someone else I knew at that age years ago!

I repeat what I said earlier.

He is not invited and he is most certainly not welcome.

But everyone else is invited.

End of.

Social source share

GONE ALREADY FORGOTTEN

You'd managed to stay away from this thread for a decent while.

Why bother now to come back on it, spewing your bile ???

Haven't I got enough to deal with, without you adding more dung to the pile of manuere

Social source share

You'd managed to stay away from this thread for a decent while.

Why bother now to come back on it, spewing your bile ???

Haven't I got enough to deal with, without you adding more dung to the pile of manuere

I didnt know that this thread was by invite only...

and Ian Levine you can swing as many handbags as you like dear because you spew as much vile and venom than anyone else on here especially when others disagree with what you post.

Social source share