Darryl Stewart Soon To Visit Site

macca

Guest familytree

How lovely is this... its when this site comes into its own... A BIG welcome Darry!.... Its a pleasure to hear your stories.... I can see the vynl collectors watering at the mouth wondering what gems you have at home! ha...No doubt you will get a call soon form one of the prommoters on here to come and visit, I do hope so... x

love and grattitude

lorn a xx

Social source share

• Replies 140
  • Views 23.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Received your PM's. Thank you for the information. I have the 45's by Debbie Taylor and The Persions. I actually was at a couple of Debbie's recording sessions with Billy and Ray. George Kerr was the producer and a background singer on those sessions. George also produced some of the older O'Jays hits as well.

d

Darryl,

Have you any idea of what became of Debbie Taylor? She is one of my favourite Female vocalists. Would love to know what became of her - where she is now!

Also, do you recall what sessions you were at with Debbie? was this in 1969? I guess this must have been the GWP stuff "Never Gonna Let Him Know" etc. Written by Ray D & Billy T and produced by George!

We're very familiar with George Kerr and his work with the O'Jays, Moments, Chi-Lites, Main Ingredient etc... but would love to know more!

Thanks again for visiting.

Great stuff

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Darryl,

Have you any idea of what became of Debbie Taylor? She is one of my favourite Female vocalists. Would love to know what became of her - where she is now!

Also, do you recall what sessions you were at with Debbie? was this in 1969? I guess this must have been the GWP stuff "Never Gonna Let Him Know" etc. Written by Ray D & Billy T and produced by George!

We're very familiar with George Kerr and his work with the O'Jays, Moments, Chi-Lites, Main Ingredient etc... but would love to know more!

Thanks again for visiting.

Great stuff

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Sorry I took so long in responding, but I haven't heard from or about Debbie in years. And yes, it was that wonderful year of 1969 when I first saw her at that session. Billy and Ray were of course there as well. Just a little inside info now on "Never Gonna Let Him Know." Billy and Ray actually "borrowed" the idea from a Jerry Butler hit, "Never Gonna Give You Up." Then Debbie made it her own. Still remember watching her, amazed at that talent.

Another singer I had the great pleasure of meeting in my younger days was Linda Jones (Hypnotized, Not On The Outside, and others). She was actually friends with my soon-to-be wife's family (been with her now for almost 37 years). Oh my! What Linda could do with a song! She died so young (complications from diabetes took her much too soon).

I also knew all of the members of the Street People. The lead singer, Roy (his last name slips my mind now - I hate getting old), was a member of the New Jersey State Police after his singing days were over.

I still hope to post a photo here, as well as a couple of songs I recorded. Thanks for listening.

d

Edited by Darryl
Social source share

I also knew all of the members of the Street People. The lead singer, Roy (his last name slips my mind now - I hate getting old), was a member of the New Jersey State Police after his singing days were over.

Roy Daniels

Milton Daniels

Joe Gardner

Rick Johnson

Tom Williams

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Sorry I took so long in responding, but I haven't heard from or about Debbie in years. And yes, it was that wonderful year of 1969 when I first saw her at that session. Billy and Ray were of course there as well. Just a little inside info now on "Never Gonna Let Him Know." Billy and Ray actually "borrowed" the idea from a Jerry Butler hit, "Never Gonna Give You Up." Then Debbie made it her own. Still remember watching her, amazed at that talent.

Another singer I had the great pleasure of meeting in my younger days was Linda Jones (Hypnotized, Not On The Outside, and others). She was actually friends with my soon-to-be wife's family (been with her now for almost 37 years). Oh my! What Linda could do with a song! She died so young (complications from diabetes took her much too soon).

I still hope to post a photo here, as well as a couple of songs I recorded. Thanks for listening.

d

hi daryl, its wonderful to have you on our site, photos and recordings and indeed anything you can remember bout your career will be deeply appreciated by members of this forum, may i ask you how it feels for you to realise that thousands of british kids have been up all night dancing to your music for over 40 years now ?

thank you

jason

Social source share

d

Darryl, send me your address to ady.croasdell@btinternet.com and I'll get you the Spring CDs with the Street People and the GWP CD with Debbie Taylor and the Persians. And of course the Wand one with NIACI on.

Ady

Social source share

d

Seriously LINDA JONES RIP, is absoultely worshipped on our scene.

'My heart needs a break' is probably in the top 10 best ever female soul records made, and 'Just cant live my life' is in the top 5.

Please keep the faith and keep the memoirs coming. Im sure some folks on here can hook you up with one of the Radio shows that would allow you to reach out and broadcast over here.

Ed

Social source share

hi daryl, its wonderful to have you on our site, photos and recordings and indeed anything you can remember bout your career will be deeply appreciated by members of this forum, may i ask you how it feels for you to realise that thousands of british kids have been up all night dancing to your music for over 40 years now ?

thank you

jason

Hi Jason. I really don't know what to say. I never imagined this would have happened to me. My only regret is that I didn't know about it when it happened. It would have been wonderful to have been a part of it. I'll keep posting here as long as the folks here want me.

Thanks again.

d

Social source share

Darryl...welcome to Soul Source.. :yes: .and thanks for sharing your memories with us...it is much appreciated that you take the time to do this...Do you remember Norman Seldin's Selsom label (Red Bank NJ..operated 64-66.)..?..one of the groups who recorded there was the Valtairs..who i believe had Joe Gardner..later in the Street People...and Harry Ray...later of the Moments included...Thanks once again....Jim

Social source share

Darryl...welcome to Soul Source.. :wicked: .and thanks for sharing your memories with us...it is much appreciated that you take the time to do this...Do you remember Norman Seldin's Selsom label (Red Bank NJ..operated 64-66.)..?..one of the groups who recorded there was the Valtairs..who i believe had Joe Gardner..later in the Street People...and Harry Ray...later of the Moments included...Thanks once again....Jim

Sure do remember Norman. He was actually from a little town outside of Red Bank, NJ called Fair Haven. I had a group in high school that almost recorded with Norman. Harry Ray sang for a while with Roy Daniels (before Street People). They were all from Long Branch, NJ. I remember my group from high school use to get together with Roy's group from Long Branch to kick around ideas and songs. Sad to say that Harry also is no longer with us.

I also knew Ebby Wooley who wrote a few tunes with Ray Dahrouge and Billy Terrell, as well as Nickie Addeo who also recorded a few of their songs.

d

Edited by Darryl
Social source share

Sure do remember Norman. He was actually from a little down outside of Red Bank, NJ called Fair Haven. Harry Ray sang for a while with Roy Daniels (before Street People). They were all from Long Branch, NJ. I remember my group from high school use to get together with Roy's group from Long Branch to kick around ideas and songs. Sad to say that Harry also is no longer with us.

d

Hi Darryl. What was the name of your high school group? Did they record?

It would be awesome if you posted a full bio here, I'm sure people would be interested in reading it. Someone would probably be willing to put up a webpage with your bio, pic, etc. so anyone can find it too (I would put it up if no one else wanted to).

Social source share

It would be awesome if you posted a full bio here, I'm sure people would be interested in reading it. Someone would probably be willing to put up a webpage with your bio, pic, etc. so anyone can find it too (I would put it up if no one else wanted to).

Form an an orderly queue, it's a British thing. :lol:

Come on Darryl, let's see those 1969 shots!

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Hi Jason. I really don't know what to say. I never imagined this would have happened to me. My only regret is that I didn't know about it when it happened. It would have been wonderful to have been a part of it. I'll keep posting here as long as the folks here want me.

Thanks again.

d

Here you go Darryl, the cover and liner note from the "Solid Soul Sensations" album.

Sorry but liner notes not very clear in the photo so -----

The next track is a little more mellow, with brilliant strings throughout, called "NAME IT AND CLAIM IT" by DARRYL STEWART, a great unknown who also had a release on Musicor. His voice has great potential and the cool harmonies backing him up and the clever lyrics of the song make it into a classic to be reckoned with. It seems to epitomise the magical sound that flowed out of New York studios in the sixties.

:lol:

post-13147-1233491950_thumb.jpg

post-13147-1233491978_thumb.jpg

post-13147-1233492356_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Sure do remember Norman. He was actually from a little town outside of Red Bank, NJ called Fair Haven. I had a group in high school that almost recorded with Norman. Harry Ray sang for a while with Roy Daniels (before Street People). They were all from Long Branch, NJ. I remember my group from high school use to get together with Roy's group from Long Branch to kick around ideas and songs. Sad to say that Harry also is no longer with us.

I also knew Ebby Wooley who wrote a few tunes with Ray Dahrouge and Billy Terrell, as well as Nickie Addeo who also recorded a few of their songs.

d

Thanks Darryl for the info.. :boxing: ..Norman has his own website...and has recently released a double CD of his productions...it might be worth mentioning to Ray D that two of his tunes are on this CD (royaltywise)...the Soul Set ones (Johnson 739).....Nicky Addeo was a fine singer...he sang with the Uniques on Selsom...i believe Billy Brown was a member...?
Social source share

Hi Boba. Unfortunately my group from high school never got the chance to record (I don't think we were really good enough). I'm still looking for the photos from those years. I know they are here somewhere.

In the mean time, I have found some of the original studio tapes of mine. There weren't that many actually. I have the Musicor recordings, including one unreleased cut that I will try to post here if anyone is interested. I also have the backing track for Name It and an alternate lead vocal for Name It. I will also post the original A side from Wand, Cross My Heart. Now....I'll post these hoping I'm not disappointing anyone.

d

Social source share

Christ almighty! There are people rightly fired up on another sub-forum about a possible 3rd copy of Frank Wilson, but I think stuff like this is equally enthralling. Tonite we've found out, from the artist himself, that there's an alternative vocal take plus instrumental to one of the scene's bonafide classics. It'd make a wonderful 7" vinyl release guys. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Hi Boba. Unfortunately my group from high school never got the chance to record (I don't think we were really good enough). I'm still looking for the photos from those years. I know they are here somewhere.

In the mean time, I have found some of the original studio tapes of mine. There weren't that many actually. I have the Musicor recordings, including one unreleased cut that I will try to post here if anyone is interested. I also have the backing track for Name It and an alternate lead vocal for Name It. I will also post the original A side from Wand, Cross My Heart. Now....I'll post these hoping I'm not disappointing anyone.

d

I've uploaded A Smart Monkey Doesn't Monkey in reply to another post. This is a "B" side from Musicor. Attached is an unreleased recording from Musicor called "Patti Ann". All of these were written by Ray Dahrouge and Billy Terrell. I will upload more if the file size doesn't limit me. I may have to reduce the quality to upload.

Patti_Ann.mp3

Edited by Darryl
Social source share

Christ almighty! There are people rightly fired up on another sub-forum about a possible 3rd copy of Frank Wilson, but I think stuff like this is equally enthralling. Tonite we've found out, from the artist himself, that there's an alternative vocal take plus instrumental to one of the scene's bonafide classics. It'd make a wonderful 7" vinyl release guys. biggrin.gif

Looks like I've reached my limit for uploads. :lol: . Perhaps the admins can increase the upload space for me to attach 3 more files. I'm not sure what the limit is. Attachment space used 10.7Mb of 9.77 Mb. Looks like I'm out of luck. I would like to upload the 2 Name It recordings, the alternate vocal and the backing track, along with the actual "A" side of name it, a ballad entitled Cross My Heart. Help????

d

Social source share

Ok Mac. You asked for it. You Must Know Magic attached. The "A" side from Musicor release.

at the moment there is another forum going on about" what you hate on the scene" well this should be what u love on the scene, a artist finding out that his talent and love of music is still appreciated inthe year 2009 smile.gif keep your memories coming they are great

p.s my 20 year daughter and her friends are now dancing around to your record so its not just us oldies

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Looks like I've reached my limit for uploads. sad.gif . Perhaps the admins can increase the upload space for me to attach 3 more files. I'm not sure what the limit is. Attachment space used 10.7Mb of 9.77 Mb. Looks like I'm out of luck. I would like to upload the 2 Name It recordings, the alternate vocal and the backing track, along with the actual "A" side of name it, a ballad entitled Cross My Heart. Help????

d

I sure the admin will help you darrell thanks for the tunes

Leon

Social source share

at the moment there is another forum going on about" what you hate on the scene" well this should be what u love on the scene, a artist finding out that his talent and love of music is still appreciated inthe year 2009 smile.gif keep your memories coming they are great

p.s my 20 year daughter and her friends are now dancing around to your record so its not just us oldies

Thank you so much. Now that really is fascinating about the younger set there. I don't get out here so much anymore and this is still all unbelievable to me. I may try to attend one of the events later this year or early next if you'd like to have me.

Still stunned!

d

Social source share

Top notch stuff. The uptempo tracks really swing & the ballad, as arnie j says, just oozes Soul.

Keep the memories, tracks & pics coming Darryl. We're like gannets here, we always want more :yes:

Looks like I won't be able to upload the last three songs. I'm not sure how to contact the admin to see how it can be done. Perhaps you can assist? I'd like to get some opinions.

Social source share

How lovely is this... its when this site comes into its own... A BIG welcome Darry!.... Its a pleasure to hear your stories.... I can see the vynl collectors watering at the mouth wondering what gems you have at home! ha...No doubt you will get a call soon form one of the prommoters on here to come and visit, I do hope so... x

love and grattitude

lorn a xx

Sorry I missed this one. My vinyl collection? I have 1000's. Some very, very old 78 RPM originals, 45's and albums. Most of Motown, Atlantic, Stax, some very obscure labels, some unreleased items, and others. Don't know if I could part with them for now. My son, who is in the business as a writer, arranger, producer, begs for them whenever he's in town. :yes: I do have some duplicates though. And thank you for the kind words.

d

Social source share

Just added Darryl's Souful masterpiece, 'Cross My Heart' (Wand 11209) on Refosoul...am now converting the alternate take of NIACI and the backing track...watch this space!

All taken from his very own master-tapes...sounds awesome...big thanks to Darryl for sharing!

:yes:

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

Darryl Stewart & Wand Orch. - Name It & Claim It - backing track

Posted info:
This is the instrumental backing track to Darryl Stewart's monster oldie, 'Name It & Claim it', complete with backing vocals...check out those harmonies!

Big thanks to Darryl Stewart himself for supplying the soundfiles, and please also check out his other Wand and Musicor recordings.

Social source share

Superb. It's listening to stuff like this that makes you wonder how fickle the record buying was back then.

This stuff to me is as good, if not better, than any of the chart bound stuff that year. I mean we had to contend with Blue Mink & Steam in the UK, didn't we? In the US, I suppose they were all getting into Sly Stone & wanting to be taken higher. It'd be great if you could tell us about your days at Musicor too Darryl. What about the NY scene back then?

All those studios, the big corporate ones & then people like Juggy Murray's Sue set up turning out such brilliant material.

Must have been an incredible period to have lived through.

M

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

2 great unissued Wand sides there, very subtle differences in the alternate vocal take.

Love the one's you posted Darryl, never heard those before! Great stuff!

This is what it's all about.

Incredible to hear the 2 unreleased takes and thank you again Darryl for sharing these with us.

What a timeless, classic record " Name it " is , pure soul magic !

Social source share

Superb. It's listening to stuff like this that makes you wonder how fickle the record buying was back then.

This stuff to me is as good, if not better, than any of the chart bound stuff that year. I mean we had to contend with Blue Mink & Steam in the UK, didn't we? In the US, I suppose they were all getting into Sly Stone & wanting to be taken higher. It'd be great if you could tell us about your days at Musicor too Darryl. What about the NY scene back then?

All those studios, the big corporate ones & then people like Juggy Murray's Sue set up turning out such brilliant material.

Must have been an incredible period to have lived through.

M

Hi Mac. I'm getting together with Billy and Ray soon to talk about old times. I'll see Ray sooner since we actually live in the same town. But I'll give all of our recollections after our meeting. But to answer a question about the studios during that time, The Record Plant where I recorded the Wand tracks had 2 very nice sized rooms with glass separated engineer rooms. There were several instruments in each; grand piano, drums, xylophone, and a few others. It was really one of the nicer ones. I met Maxine Brown at the Record Plant. Anthony Bongiovi was the lead engineer there and worked my Wand sessions. Musicians were contracted studio musicians. The Wand sessions featured about 20, including violinists, percussion, horns, etc. Rhythm tracks were recorded first; drums, guitars, bass, etc.; then my vocals; next background vocals; and finally the "sweeteners," everything else. I could not believe the sound. Unfortunately, from what I hear, most contemporary recording use very few, if any, real musicians.

Musicor had their own studio in the basement of the corporate office. It had some instruments, but not as many as the Plant. I recall being at the RCA studios where Debbie Taylor recorded some tracks, and it was absolutely spectacular.

My personal opinion is that the arranger and musicians really made the sessions in those days. You could draw energy from great tracks. That's what I think made Motown so great. While they had great artists, I think it was the Funk Brothers that made that sound unique.

I apologize if this has been discussed here previously. I haven't spoken of, or actually thought about my old career in a while. This has really been such a pleasure to learn of this. My daughter read some of ths posts here and she is just as amazed as I. It sure does warm my heart though and brings a tear to an old man's eyes. Who would have thought that after all these years......

d

Edited by Darryl
Social source share

Incredible to hear the 2 unreleased takes and thank you again Darryl for sharing these with us.

Ditto!....its an absolute privilege to see you on here Darryl and to hear your stories and this wonderful soul.

All the very best from Norther England!! :thumbsup:

:ohmy:

Social source share

Thank you for the kind words.

d

Social source share

Hi Mac. I'm getting together with Billy and Ray soon to talk about old times. I'll see Ray sooner since we actually live in the same town. But I'll give all of our recollections after our meeting. But to answer a question about the studios during that time, The Record Plant where I recorded the Wand tracks had 2 very nice sized rooms with glass separated engineer rooms. There were several instruments in each; grand piano, drums, xylophone, and a few others. It was really one of the nicer ones. I met Maxine Brown at the Record Plant. Anthony Bongiovi was the lead engineer there and worked my Wand sessions. Musicians were contracted studio musicians. The Wand sessions featured about 20, including violinists, percussion, horns, etc. Rhythm tracks were recorded first; drums, guitars, bass, etc.; then my vocals; next background vocals; and finally the "sweeteners," everything else. I could not believe the sound. Unfortunately, from what I hear, most contemporary recording use very few, if any, real musicians.

Musicor had their own studio in the basement of the corporate office. It had some instruments, but not as many as the Plant. I recall being at the RCA studios where Debbie Taylor recorded some tracks, and it was absolutely spectacular.

My personal opinion is that the arranger and musicians really made the sessions in those days. You could draw energy from great tracks. That's what I think made Motown so great. While they had great artists, I think it was the Funk Brothers that made that sound unique.

I apologize if this has been discussed here previously. I haven't spoken of, or actually thought about my old career in a while. This has really been such a pleasure to learn of this. My daughter read some of ths posts here and she is just as amazed as I. It sure does warm my heart though and brings a tear to an old man's eyes. Who would have thought that after all these years......

d

Darryl,

hello from Italy!

Thank you for a very interesting read so far. All your recollections are so very precious because they show that behind a classy slab of vinyl there was always a bunch of classy and talented musicians/engineers/producers and singers of course :D

Do you still sing/perform these days? You surely had a great and very rich voice back then, was it just a gift or did you get some "schooling" to develop your skills? I would really like to know how you actually got into singing and how you got to record for Wand.

Ever got to write anything? How long did it take to record a song like NIACI back then?

Sorry for asking all these questions, but i got really curious after reading your recollections on studios etc.

best,

giulio

Social source share

Darryl,

hello from Italy!

Thank you for a very interesting read so far. All your recollections are so very precious because they show that behind a classy slab of vinyl there was always a bunch of classy and talented musicians/engineers/producers and singers of course laugh.gif

Do you still sing/perform these days? You surely had a great and very rich voice back then, was it just a gift or did you get some "schooling" to develop your skills? I would really like to know how you actually got into singing and how you got to record for Wand.

Ever got to write anything? How long did it take to record a song like NIACI back then?

Sorry for asking all these questions, but i got really curious after reading your recollections on studios etc.

best,

giulio

Hi Giulio. Thank you for the compliments. I guess I started singing as a youngster. Somehow I was able to always carry a tune which was the extent of my training :rolleyes: . I never received anything formal, so I'll have to say it was just a gift from God. My cousin, who was 7 years older than I, had a group in high school and I use to try and sing along with them at their practices. I was only around 8 or 9 at the time and pretty much was just getting in the way. I guess that's really where it started. It just progressed from there. I formed a group in high school (never recorded anything) and another in college (no recordings there either). I just loved singing. After coming home from college, a friend of mine sent Billy and Ray to my house (Ray I knew from the area and from his group Ray and the Darchaes (sp)). So after singing a few songs for them, we got together and started working on getting some recordings done.

I was never much of a writer; just a line here or there, but nothing significant. (My son is a prolific writer and has some great tunes recorded. I don't want to mention anything without his permission. Let's just say that he does extremely well. He's currently in St. Barts in the caribbean for the next 6 weeks on a working vacation). If I recall correctly, Name It was completed in 2 recording sessions. The first took about 4 hours, most of which was used laying down the rhythm tracks. My vocals only took a few takes (I think there were 4 for Name It and 2 for Cross My Heart). The second session, which I did not attend until it was over was to record the "sweeteners" as they were called in those days; the horns, strings, etc. I got to to studio to work with the final mix.

These sessions were independent recordings (we had no record deal at the time of the sessions). We then shopped the tracks to several major labels at the time. Florence Greenberg, the owner of the Sceptor / Wand labels, offered us the best deal. The rest, as they say, is history as far as NIACI is concerned.

Hope this answered some of your questions. And thanks again.

d

Social source share

These sessions were independent recordings (we had no record deal at the time of the sessions). We then shopped the tracks to several major labels at the time. Florence Greenberg, the owner of the Sceptor / Wand labels, offered us the best deal. The rest, as they say, is history as far as NIACI is concerned.

What was Florence like as a person/to deal with?

Social source share

Sorry I missed this one. My vinyl collection? I have 1000's. Some very, very old 78 RPM originals, 45's and albums. Most of Motown, Atlantic, Stax, some very obscure labels, some unreleased items, and others. Don't know if I could part with them for now. My son, who is in the business as a writer, arranger, producer, begs for them whenever he's in town. :lol: I do have some duplicates though. And thank you for the kind words.

d

I think you will find we are more excited about reading about you, and your recording stories.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

You don't happen to have the Frank Wilson in your motown collection by any chance?? :lol: (just joking!!)

P :lol:

Social source share

What was Florence like as a person/to deal with?

Florence was very nice; nice, but tough; tough, but fair. She seemed to know right away what she liked. And she offered us a very good deal. Especially for an unknown artist like myself.

d

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert