Union Soul Nights Boat Club

Guest ruppy

A big thankyou to all who attended the boat on sat night.the goolies ever present.st.ives possie.donny crowd and the ponds forge guys & dolls.northampton & beds.without your support this venue wouid not continue.

now approaching it,s 7th year down the trentside.we are now seeing a downturn in numbers attending the boat club how long we keep going remains to be seen.be a sad day if this happens as the union soul nights has been the birth of numerous discoveries from robert tanner.arthur willis.kay williams.joe jammer .pat & the blenders etc.

taiking to Errol of ponds forge sheffield who came to the boat last night told me sadly ponds forge which has being running the same 7 years closes it,s doors for the last time on friday sept 15th.due to falling numbers.

is this the sign of the times .venues closing due to the overkill.new ones starting up people thinking they can replace them ?

we ask ourselves is the scene going to kill it,s self due to the overkill to many venues running the same night ?splitting the crowd ?

take mine and Andy dysons Lifeline allnighter the next one sat Oct 27th.there is a overkill of venues that weekend.to .when venues Like the union.Lifeline.Ponds forge etc are no longer around playing new sounds of tomorrow.what will you get people moaning there is nowwere to go to listen to new stuff being played.its the same old stuff out there ummm

because once there gone .you can,t bring them back

here is just some of the top tunes played sat night at the boat

parliments-this is my rainy day

mellow souls- we can make it

margaret little -love finds away

sandie golden-you are my everthing

mellow madness-save the youth

flo smog-all my life

prophets-one gold peice

lee mckinley & magnetics-i,ll keep holding on

joseph webster-my loves so strong

mixed feelings-shal la la

great classics from bobby kline,four tracks.billy hambrick.johnny rogers.aspirations.

so somthing for everyone

so till sat Oct 6th thats the next boat club when we have soul revolution,boss James Trouble

till then take care

Mick H

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Right Mr Melancholy Mick lets see if we can raise that furrowed brow & put a smile back on your face. I've read your comments Mick & then scanned the lookback on SS & to some degree I agree with the "overkill" theory as there was 2 very local venues the same night but don't forget there was a nighter in Barnsley the night before & some regular Boaters had gone direct to Keele nighter (to avoid Chucky & Plucky, so rumour has it, wise move.) & last weekend was Bank holiday ( I know I remember some of it) so finances have some effect. But as Jamaican Bob said "Don't worry about a thing, cos every little thing gonna be alright", also there is a solid core of Boat regulars who never miss & you know you've always got "Your Goolies" in the palm of your hand Mick!! Ok, now the night. laugh.gif

Believe it or not (another record title.) I found my way straight there & directly to the carpark at the rear of the venue, without passing go & without collecting £200, now who's a clever boy Mick? Na, na, ne na na. :P

Up the apples & pears & through the door into the hallowed hall of th "H" man & Lordy Miss Claudy who's waiting to pounce but (trumpet fanfare) the nice half of Martina Navratilova's fan club, "Pissy & Potty" & what a sight for sore eyes they where, well made my eyes sore, very bloody sore!!! :D

First hour or so was very slow, which I think suited debutante Dj Big Ian MacManus, as he was very nervous, but needn't have been as he played a lovely set. Next up was "Big Bad Bish" raconteur & all round good egg, who gave us an hour of his best R&B orientated sounds, see Bish I was listening!! Mick then gave it some before pushing Kitch in at the deep end, "Why" you ask? Because this guy blew me away last time here & at Burnley & had the floors banging but this time, even though by now the room was quiet busy, only sporadic dancing broke out & most punters stood around like "Tailors Dummies" with a foot tapping disease, ME included, so I apologise Kitch for me & them. :P

However I did dance to a few of his spins & managed to get a B*ll*cking for doing so & heres how.Gail & my fav record of the moment is "Parliaments - Rainy day", which we knew Kitch would play, a third of the way through his set there was still no Parliaments, so Tracy beckons Gail out onto fire escape for some air & two minutes later on comes Parliaments, I'm tripping the light fantastic on the floor & thinking "why have they not come in?" after about 30 seconds & again after about a minute, after a minute plus I don't give a s**t & carry on strutting my stuff till record ends, I then make the fatal mistake of going to see why they didn't come back in? Yes you guessed it, the door closed behind them & locked leaving them stranded & listening & dancing on grating outside both frustrated & rather angry, as I found out upon opening said fire exit!!!! :boxing:shout.gif

One thing I did notice also was what seemed to be a epidemic of walking sticks at the Boat, in fact more than on a Rememberance Sunday Parade or was the DSS out under cover checking claims? It could however just be a new fashion fad but whatever it was it was a little odd. :wub:

Mick played out the last hour but we left on a mission to Keele, so finally just to say it was great to see; Carole & Bish, Kae & Russell, Jimmy, John, Sean, Sue "Dangerous Dancer", Andy & Deb & anybody else I bored to death on the night. So we'll see the Notts Nutters at the Earl of Doncaster on friday. thumbsup.gif

Take care & be safe, till next time,

Spot. :P

Edited by spot

Only managed to get up to this once but it was a superb night, and the records were absolutely top of the pile, loads of great obscurities and mental classics, and a top venue too, couldn't recommend it enough. Stuff I remember from the night:

International IV on Diane

Second Ressurection on Stanton

Out Of Sights on Saru

Stuff of that level!

cheers

Joel

Edited by mulf
Guest James Trouble

I echo what Joel says, I've only been there once and it was mental good music and a great venue with a boss sound system. Off the scale quality rarities you won't hear anywhere else. Anyone who puts an event on in the area that clashes with this should probably take a moment to concider why they are putting the event on with such a quality event already running just around the corner...

But I'm not from the area so don't know the local goings on, just saying how good The Union is, and I can't see why anyone would want to run an event on the same night in the same area :D

Anyway, looking forward to October, I'll do my best to pull out some interesting sounds, and perhaps more importantly rustle up a gaggle of Essex schlaaaags to bring up with me :huh:

Edited by James Trouble

couldn't go Saturday as I had to behave myself to do normal things for once :rolleyes: but the music at Union is first class. Why another venue same night same city does make you wonder about the scene at times. Would be a shame if venues like Union etc closed as there would be no where to break any "new" records which if they are good enough do filter down to other more "oldies" orientated venues.

Edited by chalky

A big thankyou to all who attended the boat on sat night.the goolies ever present.st.ives possie.donny crowd and the ponds forge guys & dolls.northampton & beds.without your support this venue wouid not continue.

now approaching it,s 7th year down the trentside.we are now seeing a downturn in numbers attending the boat club how long we keep going remains to be seen.be a sad day if this happens as the union soul nights has been the birth of numerous discoveries from robert tanner.arthur willis.kay williams.joe jammer .pat & the blenders etc.

taiking to Errol of ponds forge sheffield who came to the boat last night told me sadly ponds forge which has being running the same 7 years closes it,s doors for the last time on friday sept 15th.due to falling numbers.

is this the sign of the times .venues closing due to the overkill.new ones starting up people thinking they can replace them ?

we ask ourselves is the scene going to kill it,s self due to the overkill to many venues running the same night ?splitting the crowd ?

take mine and Andy dysons Lifeline allnighter the next one sat Oct 27th.there is a overkill of venues that weekend.to .when venues Like the union.Lifeline.Ponds forge etc are no longer around playing new sounds of tomorrow.what will you get people moaning there is nowwere to go to listen to new stuff being played.its the same old stuff out there ummm

flo smog-all my life

prophets-one gold peice

great classics from bobby kline,four tracks.billy hambrick.johnny rogers.aspirations.

so somthing for everyone

so till sat Oct 6th thats the next boat club when we have soul revolution,boss James Trouble

till then take care

Mick H

Well Mick i can't speak for the other soul club in Nottm. But what i'll say about our club is that we play oldies classic all the main stream Northern soul thats what our regulars deman'd from us! They come for a dance and to listen to popular Northern at our place !

Now everyone in Nottm knows that the boat club plays the rare and under played Northern thats what the boat club is famous through out the land for !

I believe that we both attract two different crowds from the Northern scene !

I'm SORRY if you feel that we have stepped on your toes so to speak but we have been going for a year now and at the time of starting our club to be fair you was running yours every other month then !

If you would like to discus this any further plz don't hesitate too call me or Malc on 07778797800

Regards Gary n Malc

Edited by wallie

hi Mick,just a word from me on the situation.

When we(ATTIC) started up July 2006,The Union/Brit was bi-monthly.Only Awsworth was on the same nite as we were proposing,being 12 miles or so away.Also our music policy was different.

We only hold a max of 70,so we're a small venue with smaller overheads than most.So in that respect we can take a hit on numbers.

Musically we can never compete with The Union,and have never tried to.We know our strengths and weaknesses!!.

We're just trying to fill a gap between Rare and the top 500.

If you've ever heard us on the mike you'll know that the GALA bingo masters have no fear of losing their jobs,,,wannabes'??? dj's???,,,,,no..just want to play Soul music.

Iv'e said it before on the Union thread,,if we were'nt on we'd be at the Union .

Did look at changing our dates after the change by the Union,but our numbers kept reasonable so why change?.

Don't know what the answer is to all this,sorry to have to comment at all on this.Please pm if you'd like ,,,KEV.

Guest Shedhead

...another top night at the union,,nice to see ray & denise and donny sue there..

(seen ya picture girl) all djs played top spot,,,mick and kitch played some right

tunes,,nice 1 lads,,it really would be a shame if the place had shut,,so if you

wanna hear something different,,the union is the place to be....

cheers..col..shell.

Been to the Union a few times over the years and one of the few clubs i've been to outside London - loved it. Unfortunately it clashes with my night now (used to be on the first friday). Would recommend it to anyone from down south to make the trip up to Nottingham. Hope you keep it going Mick (you might want to change it to another night so I can attend again :ohmy: ).

Warren

flo smog-all my life

prophets-one gold peice

so somthing for everyone

till then take care

Mick H

hi mate

can speak for rest of the st ives posse and say had great night saturday and will continue to suport you in the future always been the place to hear top quality rareties be they 60's or modern think bit of the down turn in numbers was down to people being on holiday we only returned the day before and andy and deb's returned the same day anyway mate quality always wins through same old nights come and go so stick with it you'll always have our support looking forward to octoberfor another top night :thumbup::g::thumbup:

Guest gordon russell

hi MICK, our crowd never made it this time....mostly cos of dosh. The problem is still too many do's and to many lazy b*stards who are happy to go to a do just up the road and then stand there complaining about it. J.Trouble had a valid point,dose'nt matter when a person starts their own do,if there is already a blinding night going why stand there and think hey I'll start yet another one just up the bloody road regardless of music policy it's all soul music is it not.This has been happening in our area,HAMMY has run a top night for years ,but still folk want to start a night somewhere nearby instead of supporting the existing night.when there are less rubbish do's the ones left will be great and full yours being one of em

all the best tezza

J.Trouble had a valid point,dose'nt matter when a person starts their own do,if there is already a blinding night going why stand there and think hey I'll start yet another one just up the bloody road regardless of music policy it's all soul music is it not. ...................start a night somewhere nearby instead of supporting the existing night.

Didnt want to get drawn into this but it looks like theres no choice as the Attic is on the same night as the Union and is 14 miles away, and the point has been made twice now about why would anyone run a do close by on the same night.

I'll just reiterate the point I made on the "overkill" thread that when we started up, the Brit as it was then, wasnt running monthly and the music policy wasnt the present one ie rare/upfront whatever you want to call it.

Just wanted to make this point clear as people who dont know the in & outs might think that we've put ourselves up there to compete with Mick, nothing could be further from the truth.

I'd also like to repeat my best wishes to Mick and everyone at the Union, I hope it continues to be a great succes. Like I said before if the Attic wasnt on we'd all be there.

Steve

flo smog-all my life

prophets-one gold peice

so somthing for everyone

till then take care

Mick H

Hi Mick

Not been for a couple of months, August was in Spain and now recovering from operation which will take 3/4 weeks b4 up and about dancing again.

I'm sure it was Bank Holiday weekend which meant numbers effected, however it is a pity that you and the Attic are on the same night, both are great venues who play something different from the norm, but having said that I'm sure you will prosper in the coming months.

I do feel that there are so many venues now, we over in Barrowby are suffering and hope that our numbers pick up.

Hope to see you soon.

Barry Cooper

Hi Mick

Not been for a couple of months, August was in Spain and now recovering from operation which will take 3/4 weeks b4 up and about dancing again.

I'm sure it was Bank Holiday weekend which meant numbers effected, however it is a pity that you and the Attic are on the same night, both are great venues who play something different from the norm, but having said that I'm sure you will prosper in the coming months.

I do feel that there are so many venues now, we over in Barrowby are suffering and hope that our numbers pick up.

Hope to see you soon.

Barry Cooper

nothing to with the thresd i know but ,just wanted to wish barry a speedy recovery.hope to see you up and about soon. and to mick ,things can only get better, we still had a great night,and i am sure there will be plenty more at the boat.like previous thread said, holiday season..give a while longer.i am sure it will pick up again.carole

Source Advert