Oliver Cheatham Discography

soulmac

Anyone got an Oliver Cheatham discography including his early stuff (with bands he was a member of) up to his Move 45.

Any help appreciated.

soulmac.

Evening John

Hope alls good.....the links that Barry posted are good -theres one here to:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Cheatham

Great artist with an awesome voice for sure!!

Hey checkout a young Oliver Cheatam on this 70s goodie!!!

tfk :rofl:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Coming oh so soon Soul Junction's October release:

Oliver Cheatham "Don't Pop The Question/Good Guys Don't Make Good Lovers" SJ518

Two fantastic previously unissued 70's tracks from circa 1974 :yes:

More news to follow in the next couple of weeks in the articles section of Soul Source :thumbsup:

Dave

Soul Junction

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Coming oh so soon Soul Junction's October release:

Oliver Cheatham "Don't Pop The Question/Good Guys Don't Make Good Lovers" SJ518

Two fantastic previously unissued 70's tracks from circa 1974 :yes:

More news to follow in the next couple of weeks in the articles section of Soul Source :thumbsup:

Dave

Soul Junction

Here here Dave-awesome stuff :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

ktf tfk :rofl:

Social source share

The Young Sirs - African Love / There's Something The Matter With Your Heart - Magic City 010

Round Trip - Lost Inside Of You / Higher Consciousness - MCA 51089

Round Trip - Let's Go Out Tonight / Woman - MCA 51147

Oliver - Everybody Wants To Be The Boss / Don't Take Your Love Away - MCA 52063

Oliver - Make Up Your Mind / I Want Your Love I Need Your Love - MCA 52113

Oliver Cheatham - Get Down Saturday Night / Something About You - MCA 52198

Oliver Cheatham - Just To Be With You / Through It All - MCA 52260

Oliver Cheatham - Bless The Ladies / Just To Be With You - UK MCA 846

Oliver Cheatham - Mama Said / Look Of Love - UK Move MSS3

Oliver Cheatham - Turning Point / Play Me Trade Me - UK Champion MSS6

Anybody help with which Mad Dogs & Pups and Gaslight 45's he sang on.

soulmac.

Edited by soulmac
Social source share

Butch & The Newports I'm Only A Man/Out Of My Hands Black Rock 2002

The Gaslight I Can't Tell A Lie/Here's Missing You Grand Junction 1001

The Gaslight If You See Her/Drifting Away 1002

The Gaslight I'm Only A Man/I'm Gonna Get You 1100

The Gaslight Just Because Of You/It's Just Like Magic Polydor 14276

The above release also reputedly gained a local release prior on the T.E.A.I. label if anyone has a copy I would really appreciate a scan of the label also any photos of the group Round Trip either contact me through pm or e-mail :sales@souljunctionrecords.co.uk

Regards

Dave Welding

Social source share

Oliver also sang on the tracks released by Mad Dog & the Pups (neither the kids or the dog that supposedly made up that group could sing a note).

He was on Breakfast TV many years back as a guest & they asked for questions for him ..... so I rang in & got them to ask about it and he confirmed that he sang lead vocals on their sessions (can't remember exactly when it was but it was the morning of the day when John Benson had his 50th birthday party coz Johnny Vaughan chatted to me live 'on air' & asked me what I was doing later that day. He seemed very interested that I was going to a soul related birthday do).

Got photos of Oliver from the mid 80's on an old computer, this is the only one I copied across from that night in Scotland ..............

post-22122-0-49056900-1348989876_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Loads of recordings sample Oliver's "Get Down Saturday Night" plus of course Room 5 took it to the top of the charts with their 'remake'. He got to be on TV performing with them a lot at the time.

When that track was in the charts, a cheap label UK CD was released that featured a lot of cover tracks (of old soul songs) that Oliver had recorded around the 1990's.

I saw the CD cheap in a supermarket & turned my nose up at it. Later I wished I'd bought it as it contained some good songs which no doubt he had done decent versions of.

Back in the mid 80's, the wife & I got to hang out with him for a day -- in his hotel room & at a club sound check / performance in Kirckaldy.

One of the songs he was toying with the idea of recording at that time was "That's How Hearbreaks Are Made". He was singing the verse & playing along on his guitar and the wife & I came in on backing vocals on the chorus -- he was most impressed that we knew the song.

I have copies of all his Move & Champion 45's around here somewhere; he cut some decent stuff that they put out in the 80's.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Don't worry Soulmac

All will be revealed very soon been on the phone to Oliver a couple of times this afternoon, just finalizing the article for Chalky's new section. :thumbsup:

Just a taster Sins Of Satin = Round Trip= Oliver, that's enough for now :wicked:

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Mad Dogs & Pups

Hep Squeeze / Hep Squeeze (Party Time) - Magic City 007

Funky Monkey / Funky Monky part 2 - Magic City 009

Why Did You Leave Me Girl / Instrumental - Magic City 012

Please Don't Let Me Go / Look Into My Eyes - Magic City 015

Come Into My Love Shop / Instrumental - Magic City 016

Funky Monkey / Bring It To The Light - Magic City 018

Hip Squeeze / Hip Squeeze part 2 - Magic City 4519

Social source share

Dave, did Oliver remember to tell you one of the reasons Al Perkins kept him around the studio so much of the time ?

.... Oliver was fully trained as a roof repairer & the studio roof kept springing leaks when it rained. Needless to say, Oliver found himself up on the studio roof on a regular basis.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave, did Oliver remember to tell you one of the reasons Al Perkins kept him around the studio so much of the time ?

.... Oliver was fully trained as a roof repairer & the studio roof kept springing leaks when it rained. Needless to say, Oliver found himself up on the studio roof on a regular basis.

Yes John

Oliver honed his skills as a roofer while working for his Uncle in Cleveland during the school holidays :g:

Social source share

Bob,I don't have the full facts on his lead vocals on the Mad Dog & the Pups 45's BUT he did sing lead on some (Doubt it was all) of their tracks

...... he told me that the kids 'officially' in the group were selected to look just like another Jackson 5 type outfit; only none of them could sing !!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

an older, non BS collector told me he used to have the gaslights on TEAI

Hi Bob

I've spoken with George McGregor this definitely came out on this label. The Mystery track is the Hard Times still not a 100% sure this was released :g:

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Hi Bob

I've spoken with George McGregor this definitely came out on this label. The Mystery track is the Hard Times still not a 100% sure this was released :g:

also, Andy Rix' acetate above shows that Hard Times is a Gaslight track, unless it was recorded more than once

Social source share

Bob,I don't have the full facts on his lead vocals on the Mad Dog & the Pups 45's BUT he did sing lead on some (Doubt it was all) of their tracks

...... he told me that the kids 'officially' in the group were selected to look just like another Jackson 5 type outfit; only none of them could sing !!!

I wouldn't be so certain about this - here in Detroit there's a fellow who is sort of a local fixture - he pedals around town on a funny chromed-out oversized tricycle - anyway, he claims to be ex-Mad Dog & the Pups & he also happens to have a decent Eddie Kendricks-inspired falsetto( which he is more than willing to demonstrate on impromptu accapella renditions of 'Come Into My Love Shop' etc..;)

Edited by soulhawk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!