Soul For Heroes Sutton In Ashfield

Guest trevorboot

Guest trevorboot

absolutely outstanding day and night we arrived at this venue about 2 in the afternoon and found the big room really busy for that time of the day, we managed to just squeeze in at the left hand side of he stage the rest of our friends slowly arrived over the next 2 hours, by then the room was really buzzing. fantastic music played by all d.js and allfor a really good cause, as the night progressed the music never failed to surprise me at some point i must admit it made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and a tear would creep in the corner of my eye and i know only the true soulies will understand, been at it for many years from 14 to 52 and long may it carry on. The atmosphere the friendliness and the music just put a final end to a very long but enjoyable weekend 2 allnighters and a alldayer not bad for an old guy of 52 many thanks to all the friends surrounding me throughtout this weekend. Well done to everyone organising this event absolutely tops in my eyes to all u soulies and true friends keep the faith keep the feet dancing thanks again tricky trev and carole.

• Replies 87
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Mezhouse

absolutely outstanding day and night we arrived at this venue about 2 in the afternoon and found the big room really busy for that time of the day, we managed to just squeeze in at the left hand side of he stage the rest of our friends slowly arrived over the next 2 hours, by then the room was really buzzing. fantastic music played by all d.js and allfor a really good cause, as the night progressed the music never failed to surprise me at some point i must admit it made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and a tear would creep in the corner of my eye and i know only the true soulies will understand, been at it for many years from 14 to 52 and long may it carry on. The atmosphere the friendliness and the music just put a final end to a very long but enjoyable weekend 2 allnighters and a alldayer not bad for an old guy of 52 many thanks to all the friends surrounding me throughtout this weekend. Well done to everyone organising this event absolutely tops in my eyes to all u soulies and true friends keep the faith keep the feet dancing thanks again tricky trev and carole.

I wondered where you were you two!!!!! Glad you had such a good time!

Jo xx

What a fantastic dayer, well supported and a cracking atmosphere, 3 rooms of quality music by top DJ's What more could a boy ask for?, there's a tune there, don't think I heard it played yesterday.

£3000 raised on the door

Thanks Pete and your team for making this happen ans a success.

Great venue pity the host event is the night after Bentinck though :thumbsup:

Guest tonyolly

Did the Djs play any crossover or modern soul..Graham.

you didnt go upstairs then some great stuff played modern & crossover great dayer in all rooms TONY

Had a great day, nice mix of music in the main room especially late on when Smudge and then Carl & Maria threw some tasty tunes in amongst the classic oldies. Nice to hear stuff like the Parliaments played alongside more well known records :thumbsup:

Loads of money raised for a worthy cause - all those concerned give yourselves a big pat on the back, well done :boxing:

Guest biggray1

you didnt go upstairs then some great stuff played modern & crossover great dayer in all rooms TONY

Hey Thanx Tony,the impression i got from previous threads about this venue was all oldies and motown wich does get repeatative here in the Mansfield area,who was the Djs in the upstairs room Tony,and did you do any adverts saying that a modern room was available etc.Graham.

Guest kev such

Great day in its entirity.

Arrived about 2pm and left about 11.30pm.

Thanks for asking me to do the 20.10 to 20.45 spot, didnt want to come off and hand over to Bryn. Isnt that always the case though eh?

Top form regarding money raised, spoke to Pete this morning and i think he is still in shock as to how well it actually went.

The hog roast was excellent and took me own apple sauce but wasnt needed.

Didnt venture into the RnB or Modern rooms myself so cant comment on them but the main room was so busy and full of dancers continually that you can gauge it by how hot it was in there, and believe me it was boiling.

looking forward to doing it all again for Kev Kent down in Chatham on June the 27th and how ironic that an Ex Royal Engineer (Colin) should win the male dancing competition, excellent. Come on the sappers.

My playlist ( probably no surprises but)

Maurice Williams, Being without you. DEESU

Darrow Fletcher, What good am i without you. Jacklyn

Satisfactions, Take it or leave it. Smash

Baby Huey and the Babysitters, Just being careful. USA

Profiles, Take a giant step. Goldie

Pat and the Blenders, Just because. Fast Eddie

Vanguards, The thought of losing your love. Lamp

Millionaires, Never for me. Philips

Mighty marvellows, Talkin bout ya baby. ABC

Bobby Freeman. I'll never fall in love again. Autumn

Tommy Navarro, I cried my life away. De Jac

Jean carter, Like one. Decca

Majestees, take back all those things. MUTT

Constellations, I didnt know how to. Gemini

Timi Yuro, It'll never be over for me. Liberty

Thanks again for asking me to do a spot and well done again to everyone involved in whatever capacity.

kind Regards

Kev and Karen

Cream Cracker, 30th May. 7.30pm to 2am, £5 OTD. Djs. Hammie, Ian J, Bearsy, Marky Mole, Andy C, 30 minute punter spot Gus, oh yeah and me.

One word "ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT " (the old gags are the best biggrin.gif ) Was a great day and im sure everyone had a great time. Couldnt give a toss about the music just out to support this well worthy cause. Thanks to the Attic lads (and lasses ) for their company. Great set of folk. Bumped into so many people not seen for a while. Mick n Mo, Rupe, Nige Brown, Steve Tuck, BIG Steve Brown .Nice to see FINGERS and have to thank him for reuniting me with an old favorite record..cheers Johnny :thumbsup:

The venue itself is fantastic. I nipped into the modern room early on only to find Rupe breaking things and causing chaos. Whanted to get back up for Mick n Mo but sorry guys didnt make it was busy talking and didnt realise the time... SORRY :( Spent a fair bit of time in the RnB/ motown room,caught the back end of Big Steve Browns Set ...nice one Steve :boxing: some nice stuff spun. All in all i think all 3 rooms worked well and did the business.

Anyhow i think everyone who attended can be proud and all the money raised will be greatly received and put to good use.

WELL DONE AND THANKS FOR A GREAT DAY.

one gripe. A bit surprised at the lack of LOCAL promoter support :P

Guest Phil Richards

Well what a fantastic day the place was buzzing all day well done to all. Now let's do it all again :thumbsup:

He's my playlist

RITCHIE ADAMS / I CAN'T ESCAPE FROM YOU / CONGRESS

ENCHANTMENTS / I'M IN LOVE WITH YOUR DAUGHTER / FARO

LARRY SANTOS / YOU GOT ME WHERE YOU WANT ME / EVOLUTION

DANNY WAGNER / I LOST A TRUE LOVE / I R IMPERIAL

THE CHARADES / THE KEY TO MY HAPPINESS / M G M

THE VALENTIONS / SWEETER THAN THE DAY BEFORE / CHESS

SYNG McGOWAN / THAT'S WHAT I WANT / HOPE

THE CONSTELLATIONS / I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU / GEMINI STAR

THE CHANDLERS / YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONELY / COL SOUL

DELEGATES OF SOUL / I'LL COME RUNNING BACK / UPLOOK

GENE TOONES / WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT / SIMCO

JOHN BOWIE / YOU'RE GONNA MISS A GOOD THING / MERBEN

THE MAGNETICS / I HAVE A GIRL / Ra-Sel

EDDIE SPENCER / IF THIS IS LOVE / POWER

THE SUPERLATIVES / I STILL LOVE YOU / UPTITE

THELMA LINDSEY / PREPARED TP LOVE LOVE / MAGIC CITY

DEE DEE SHARP / WHAT KIND OF LADY / GAMBLE

HOWARD GUYTON / I WATCHED YOU SLOWLY SLIP AWAY / VERVE

CHRISTINE COOPER / HEARTACHES AWAY MY BOY / PARKWAY

Hey Thanx Tony,the impression i got from previous threads about this venue was all oldies and motown wich does get repeatative here in the Mansfield area,who was the Djs in the upstairs room Tony,and did you do any adverts saying that a modern room was available etc.Graham.

Hi Graham,this wasn't just a Grosvenor event.For instance Mick and Mo and Steve Woomble(i think) were on in the modern room,right up your street!!.The dj line ups have been on here for a long time Graham - Keep Up!! :boxing: .

3rooms kept everyone entertained.After arriving(late) and meeting folks,a couple of dances in the main room(great floor btw)..into the RnB room to give support to Mick Donnelly.Missed the Dance Comp,sorry.Enjoyed all sets,Kev Such,Smudge,Carl and Maria.All for a worthy cause.Well Done to all concerned. :thumbsup: .

Edited by KevH
Guest tonyolly

ANDY JACKSON played a brilliant modern hour late on & MICK & MO did a quality crossover spot last hour all DJs upstairs that i heard,played good spots hope we can get some playlists up so we can see how good it was TONY

Hi all

What an absolutely superb day it was

Nice putting names to faces ...Phil Richards Susie Jellybean

Smudge Kev Such to name but a few :thumbsup:

always great to see Carms and Nige B

Popped into the RnB Motown and the modern cross over room on the odd occasion

Kev Cus playing a lovely early Aretha Franklin tune I'd not heard before in the motown room some crackin gritty Rnb also played in there

Mainy stayed in th northern room ..had a great crack sharing my skittles with folks and having a right laff with Rednose and Carol ...doubtless to say there'll be some dodgy pics of us all flying about :P

Well done to the organisers for the amount raised ..Can someone give us a complete total of monies raised at some point

Thanks Mand :boxing:

Just want to say what a brill day :boxing: Got there about 2 (place was easy to find) and stayed to the end. My old legs are feeling it a bit today it was well worth it. A big thank you to the organisers for all the time and effort they put in to make the day such a big success and raising so much money for such a good cause :thumbsup:

Dave

Great day with all rooms seeming busy.Really enjoyed the R n B room & thanks to all for allowing to spin a few.

My playlist in no particular order.............

Temptations-Check Yourself Miracle

Dolly & The Fashions-The Right One Ivanhoe

Dorothy Berry & Jimmy Norman-I'm With You All The Way Little Star

Joe Tex-I Wanna Be Free Dial

Gino-It's A Paper Moon Gold Crest

Don Hollinger-Where The Young Folk Go Jato

Buddy Wilkins-Private Eye Tri-Ess

Jimmy "Preacher" Ellie-I'm Gonna Do It By Myself Jewel

The Wolf Man-Strange OKeh

Jesse Gee-She's A Woman Barry

Cecil Garrett-Bearcat Calla

Ray Agee-Real,Real Love Krafton

Marv Johnson-Come On & Stop UA

Lester Young-Your Handy Man Angletone

Soul Clinic-So Sharp Baysound

Gerri Granger-Ain't It Funny Bigtop

Bobby Powell & Jackie Johnson-Done Got Over Whit

Bettye Swann-The Man That Said No Money

Doris Smith-No Good Guy Limelight

Etta James-Mellow Fellow Argo

Peggy Paxton-It Ain't What I Do Paula

Teri Thornton-Molly Marlene Mothers Records

Aretha Franklin-Rough Lover Columbia

Jennell Hawkins-Don't Worry 'Bout Me Dynamic

Ernestine Anderson-You're Not The Guy For Me Sue

Cheers

Martyn

Guest Midge

Hard to know where to start after such a fantastic day of music and smiling faces, I left home at 7 on Sunday morning and got home 19 hours later totally knackered but still buzzing.

I spent most of the day in the Modern room but had regular visits to the main room and the Motown / R&B room and have to say it's been a while since I have seen so many souls totally up for it.

Heard nothing but praise from those who favour the Northern 100mph tunes and the steady stream of dancers & those who just came to chill and listen in the Modern room were well catered for with all genres that fall under the Modern & XOver banner. Around 400 punters is no mean feat at a soul do these days and it was especially nice to see a smattering of young faces who will hopefully pick up the baton in the future. Only sour note of the day for me was being charged 25p for a glass of tap water, I thought they were taking the piss at first, I was wrong. High note of the day! when all the winners of the dance contest put their prize money back into the charity pot, Kudos to you all for such an amazing gesture, brought a lump to this old squaddies throat I can tell you.

It's not for me to say anything about the total raised to date I'll leave that to Pete, needless to say it will be good news for all those concerned and for the boys and girls in who's name it was all about. Soul for Heroes South have a hard act to follow but a good few of us from up here will be down there offering support. Thanks to all who came along for the ride ;D

Tunes of the day for me personally (Modern & XOver Room)

Signed Miss Heroin - Sam Dees

On the stage of life - Willie Pickett

Man in Love - Bill Wright

Top sets in the Modern & XOver ROOM , again only my personal opinion

Mick & Mo ,,,,,,,,,,Sublime

Carl and Maria Willingham, Respect to both totally awesome

Mick Cooper, set the tone for the day perfectly.

Edited by Midge

Great day with all rooms seeming busy.Really enjoyed the R n B room & thanks to all for allowing to spin a few.

Cheers

Martyn

tut tut Martyn ..no 3 dollar bill by beverly ann gibson wink.gif

I know that the Aretha tune came before the peggy paxton tune I was there at that exact moment thumbsup.gif Aretha tune ...NICE :thumbup:

Mand

Guest Mick Donnelly

Cheers

Martyn

Top stuff mate .. enjoyed it, just like one big FFFA thumbsup.gif

Missed the Dance Comp,sorry. Well Done to all concerned. thumbsup.gif .

Bet there was a few relieved faces amongst the less well fancied participants when you didn't show Kev, particularly for the virtual skipping round :thumbup:

Only managed to call in for a very short visit just to see a few faces, but wanted to come to contribute. Glad I did, very "feel good" atmosphere. For my taste the R&B room was palying some good stuff. Hope everyone had a great afternoon and evening, know I missed most of it but lots of life distraction at the moment.

Well done to Pete and ALL Involved.

A Great event for a Great cause

I really enjoyed my DJ spot and it was fantastic to see so many familiar faces having such a wonderful time.

Best Wishes

Dave.

Thanks for a Great day enjoyed every bit "total respect to all dj's"

My play list for the 3:00 till 3:40 in no particular order

I wish to thank all the dances for there support you're great

A little bit hurt - Julien Covey

Cashing In - Voices Of East Harlem

Catch That Teardrop - The 5 Royals

Dance Dance Dance - The Casualeers

Get Out - Harold Melvin

Have Some Everybody - Flaming Emerals

Hope We Have - The Artistics

If You Ever Walk Out Of My Life - Dena Barnes

If I Could Only be Sure - Nolan Porter

I Wanna Be Free - Joe Tex

Kiss Me Now Don't Kiss Me Later - Florence Devore

Name It You Got It - Micky Moonshine

On A Magic Carpet Rid - Kiki Dee

Wanting You- April Stevens10 Miles High - Dave & The Giants

Well done to all that organised this great event

Last time I went to a venue to dj on my Scooter was over 40 years ago

but felt good with my box of 45 records on the back rack

DenDog

Edited by Dendog

Hi Pete

Congratulations for what sounds like a fantastic day. If you would like to pm me your details we would like to send £250.00 donated by everyone up at the Metrodome at Barnsley after we had a Flat sceen tv donated by the promoters of the Grovenor rooms. Well done everyone sorry we all couldn't be there.

K.T.F.

Everyone at the Metrodome Barnsley x

Edited by soulcrew

Mand

Miss Gibson is one that's slip through the net but I'll remedy that ASAP just for you biggrin.gif

Glad you liked Aretha.

Cheers

Martyn

You can play it for me next time you're in this neck of the woods thumbup.gif Am still hearing stuff thats new to me and still classy :thumbup:

Hi Pete

Congratulations for what sounds like a fantastic day. If you would like to pm me your details we would like to send £250.00 donated by everyone up at the Metrodome at Barnsley after we had a Flat sceen tv donated by the promoters of the Grovenor rooms. Well done everyone sorry we all couldn't be there.

K.T.F.

Everyone at the Metrodome Barnsley x

To Everyone at the Metrodome many, many thanks for your fantastic donation to swell our coffers even further. Pete must be in his counting house still, and hopefully will be able to give us a grand total very soon.

What a brilliant day yesterday was, and a heartfelt thank you to everyone who contributed by buying tickets, paying on the door, putting change in the buckets, donating raffle prizes, buying raffle tickets,to those who donated prize money for the dance comp, and to all the three winners for donating it back, to all those from other venues whom contributed donations from door takings, raffles etc etc To all the Djays for giving up their time and playing the best music in all rooms. A very special mention to Mark and Rob from the Grosvenor Rooms for letting us 'adopt' their venue and the fantastic sound systems and unconditional help.

THANK YOU-THANK YOU- THANK YOU

Im still buzzing and overwhelmed by it all.I'll do my full review soon.

I JUST CAN'T SAY THANK YOU ENOUGH

XXXX

Edited by sister dawn

Great day out for us , really nice to see a few friends and enjoy some fab tunes.

Spent most time in the R&B / Motown room as it was the cooler of the two downstairs rooms.

A very well attended event and lots of happy faces.

Well done to all who gave their time for a very worthy cause.

The Hog roast was a brilliant idea , it made a very tasty supper later on.

And Mandy I am so proud of you donating your prize back to the committee. That was a really nice thing to do.

Come on Mick list what you played . I think you did very well concidering the R&B room is not your normal area of play , Slim Harpo sounded amazing mate , and it was a very brave set , lots of nice bluesy numbers too. Shows the measure of a good dj that can play to a particular type of ear and still come up with the goods when you have to take a different direction.

The ullies Lynne and Martyn always make it a smiley night.I still can't workout who is the quieter of the two smile.gif , can't get over how lucky Lucy was in picking up 4 prizes !

Guest john-h

hi to all who attended the "Soul for Heroes" really enjoyed the event to Caveman and all who helped you to put this together a big thanks knowing servicemen n women will benifit from the sum of money raised .

Spent most of my time in Motown/RnB room, main room packed out ,thanks to Mark nice set of decks n top quality sound system,here's my playlist

RnB /MOTOWN ROOM

HOWLIN WOLF "Your Gonna Wreck My Life" PYE

BILL COSBY "Don'cha Know" WARNER BROTHERS

LEE MOSES "Bad Girl " MUSICOR

THE CHOSEN FEW "Birth of a Playboy MAPLE Promo

JOHNNY WELLS "Lonley Moon" ASTOR

RAY CHARLES "The Train" ABC

TINY TOPSY "Miss You So" FEDERAL

HAROLD BURRAGE "She Knocks Me Out " VIVID

DARROW FLETCHER "The Pain Gets A Little Deeper" GROOVY

WILSON PICKET "Let Me Be Your Boy" CORREC-TONE

CHRIS CLARK " I Want To Go Back There Again " VIP

IVY JOE HUNTER "Don't Stop Loving Me " TAMLA

INSTRUMENTAL B SIDE " AGENT DOUBLE-O-SOUL" RIC- TIC

LaBRENDA BEN & BELJEANS "The Chaperone" GORDY

MIRACLES " Way Over There" TAMLA

THE VOWS "Tell Me " V.I.P.

THE SUPREMES "Bill When Are You Coming Back" MOTOWN

FOR MY ENDER I PLAYED FREDA PAYNE "BRING THE BOYS HOME" INVICTUS Reason i played this record just thought it was right sound for this event and too finnish my spot with ,thanks to all who came along and listened to my spot.

john h

well we got there at around 4.30.... the place was alive ! full of soulies from all over the place, sooooooo many people to talk to, but thats the great thing about an all dayer ....... you get time to chat and dance !

sounds like the "modern room" went well too..... did not go in ourselves for obvious reasons for those who know us lol no.gif

we popped in the "motown rn'b room and all was well there too ! great stuff ...

the dance competition.... as always was full of controversy... and they always are :lol: but at the end of the day the "judges" chose who they thought were the best at "dancing to northern soul"..... and perhaps there is some "key" questions in that phrase ?..... but thats in another thread :ohmy: great thing is they all put the prize money back in the pot... but i guess many would have done that anyway....

all in all a superb event, full of our northern soul family.... lovely people , the best there is !

pete n' susan KTF xx

Edited by casper

biggrin.gif What an awesome event this was! Old friends, new friends, brilliant music throughout from all the dj's, and everyone just having so much fun!

On top of all that a fantastic amount was raised in support of our lads and I was particularly impressed by the Dance Comp winners immediately returning their winnings to boost the charity total - Top marks for that!!

This has really given Soul For Heroes (South)something to live up to at the Chatham dayer. We'll do our best but this is one hard act to follow!

Anyways, here's my playlists, early doors (1400-1430) in the Northern Room first:

Gloria Lynne - You Don't Have To Be A Tower Of Strength

Betty Wrigley - Selfish One

Jerry Fuller - I Get Carried Away

Brooks Odell - Standing Tall

Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me

Volcanos - Storm Warning

Lloyd Price - Oh, Lady Luck

Bettye Swann - Lonely Love

Incredibles - I Can't get Over Losing Your Love

Charles Thomas - The Man With The Golden Touch

Soulful Hounds - Why Did You Leave Me Girl (inst)

And in the Motown Room (abt 1800-1900):

San Remo Strings - Reach Out I'll Be There (inst)

Elgins - Heaven Must Have Sent You

Marvin Gaye - Little Darling

Four Tops - I'll Turn To Stone

Tammi Terrel - Come On And See Me

Marvin Gaye - Your Unchanging Love

Barbara McNair - You're Gonna Love My Baby

Frances Nero - Keep On Lovin' Me

Temptations - Girl Why You Wanna Make Me Blue

Velvelettes - These Things Will Keep Me Loving You

Contours - Just A Little Misunderstanding

Martha & Vandellas - One Way Out

Velvelettes - A Bird In The Hand

Gladys Knight - Just Walk In My Shoes

Martha & Vandellas - Quicksand

Four Tops - Something About You

Miracles - Going To A Go-Go

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Two Can Have a Party

Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself

Temptations - Beauty Is Only Skin Deep

Junior Walker - What Does It Take

Marvin gaye - Too Busy Thinking About My Baby

Supremes - Stoned Love (intro version).

:lol: Thanks to all of you for promoting/supporting/attending this great event and for doing something to ease the plight of our wounded heroes. I look forward to seeing many of you in Chatham on Armed Forces Day - 27th June.

-Kev.

Edited by KevinKent

Guest Big Al 68

I cannot add anything that's not already been said. From start to finish, the party/feelgood factor stayed with us throughout the day. Everyone who attended should be thoroughly proud of themselves,especially my great mates Kerby & Jellybean ( Martin & Helen ) who over the past few months rarely went to a venue without the trusty donation bucket and flyers.Top people.I think they might have played a couple of tunes towards the end of the night,if only to empty the room a bit quicker for the staff!! :lol::ohmy:thumbup.gif To the promoters, THANK YOU & WELL DONE !!!

P.s A sapper winning the dance comp!!? First time i've seen one move THAT quick !!? :D:D

I just did not know which room to be in , everytime I was in one room someone would say '' the DJ in the R+B or Modern/crossover room is playing a blinder so off i would scuttle (did more steps than the dancers ) . We all have our own taste in the type of music we like and our own type of music we least like . Well I can put my hand on my heart and say yesterdays event did for me what any other evert has done , it bought SOUL music back together with everyone one enjoying other genres of music .

You can always tell when promoters have worked their knackers to the ground (and what ever ladies work to the ground) , the spade work over the last year or so bided well on the day as the event just seemed to flow (apart for the little hitch with the decks in the x/over room poor old Rupe).

Really good to see faces old and new , some of the old ones really do look old :lol: I can tell you.

Higlighters of the day/night were to many to mention but for me the ones that stuck out were Mr Mick Donnellyplaying a blinding spot in the R+B room , followed by a gentleman of lesser years but with what seemed like a fountain of knowledge and a wonderful ear for early soul/ R+B , MrJP.

In the crossover room it had to be Carl and Maria also Mick and Mo , to me both these pair are the Kings and Queens of crossover , thank you all.

But for me the real highlight was the smashing of the horrible myth about the way some people only dance to the ''top 500 oldies , in the Northern room it was brilliant to see the dancers dancing to records that you would only hear at the rarer type venue , I even joined in with a few steps of my own , to which I am now regretting .

Back to the promoters i am sure I speak for every single person who was there and those who were not when I say ''WELL FOOKIN DONE , YOU PULLED OF AN ABSOLUTE BLINDER THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Just a few I played in the crossover room , in no particular order

NA ALLEN - THANKS FOR NOTHING - ATCO

TSU TORNADOS - PLEASE HEART DON'T BREAK - RAMPART STREET

CAM CAMERON - THEY SAY - CAPRI

EARLES INC - JUST AN ILLUSION - ZUDAN

THE LEDGENDS - FEAR NOT - COMMONWEALTH UNITED

ROSCOE THOMAS - AMERICAN GIRL - WORLD RECORD

THE VIPERS - LITTLE MISS SWEETNESS - DUCHESS

MASTERS OF SOUL - DO YOU REALLY LOVE ME - OVIDE

THE MODULATIONS - I'M HOPELESSLY IN LOVE WITH YOU - BUDDAH

THE NATURALS - DA DA DA DA DA (I LOVE YOU )

IMPERIAL WONDERS - YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE - SOLID FOUNDATION

BOBBY HUTTON - COME SEE - PHILLIPS

THE PERFECTIONS - GIRL YOU BETTER HURRY - TRI-CITY

CYNTHIA AND THE IMAGINARY THREE - THATS WHAT I AM - BIG HIT

DYNAMIC TINTS - PACKAGE OF LOVE - TWILIGHT

WILL HATCHER - YOU HAVE'NT SEEN NOTHIN YET

THE VISITORS - MY LOVE IS READY AND WAITING - TRC

TOMMIE YOUNG - HIT AND RUN LOVER - SOUL POWER

JESSE JAMES - FACTS OF LIFE '68' - 20th CENT FOX

JESSE JAMES - IF YOUR LONELY (TAKE MY HAND) - 20th CENT FOX

Edited by MAK

Final Spot in the Motown room

hopefully in the order or very near or somehow any way

the first and last are in the correct order and I was sober,

and probably forgot a couple thanks to those who stayed and enjoyed as much as I did.

(First)Tammi Terrell ---I Gotta Find a Way,

Spinners ------ I Just Cant Help but Feel the Pain

Martha Reeves----- Ive Been Blessed

Four Tops----- Deep in the Pit of your Love

Four Tops---- Since Youve Been Gone

Funk Brothers ----Aint No Mountain High Enough (inst)

Funk Bros------ Girl Why You Wanna Make me Blue (inst)

Marvin Gaye---- When I feel the Need

Reuben Howell-- You cant Stop a Man in Love

David Ruffin -----I cant Stop The Rain

Bobby Womack -----So Many Sides of You

Brenda Holloway -- When Im Gone

Isley Bros----- I Hear A Symphony

Isley Bros -----My Love is Your Love(orig cut no strings)

Gladys Knight----- No One Could Love you more(requested track)

Shorty Long -----Chantilly Lace

Jimmy Rufffin----- Gonna Give Her all the Love ive Got

Jimmy Ruffin -----I Gotta let You Go

Temptations ---Your Not an Ordinary Girl

Temptations----- Beauty is only Skin Deep

Velvelettes----- Lonely Lonely Girl am I

Jr Walker -----Daddy Deacon

Ivy Jo Hunter----- Dont Stop Loving me

Kim Weston ----You Can Do It

and Finally

Four Tops --------Where Did you Go

played for the lost boys and girls over the years all around the world.

Soul For Heroes

Help The Heroes

Never Forget

Edited by Makemvinyl

Well what do you say about a day that for me will live on forever?

So many great moments for me three that I will never forget would be warming the floor for the big man him self Dave R an other would be to have the cream of all dj's Carl Willingham on the running order along with the Queen of the female djs Marie Willingham with him.

The top moment for me was when the dance comp winners handed back the prize money I have to admit I found that point very moving, and I would like to thank them from the bottom of my heart you are all true stars.

Before I give you the day's total I would like to thank a few people big thanks to all the DJ's who gave there support free of charge, to the staff of the venue for a great venue and keeping the suds flowing all day.

Monster thanks to my good friend Dave knight who allowed us to use his equipment in the modern room, I know he will be cleaning it down as I type.

Rob and Mark for coming up trumps when a certain party let us down with equipment thanks lads.

To Dave Raistrick for his donation of Trophies and prize money

Now the Team Sister Dawn, Midge, Coop's and lets not forget Helen "JB" with out you lot I would not have been able to produce a great dayer, if they gave medals for determination and support you lot would be receiving it right now . THANK YOU

Ok now the last bit, yesterday saw the birth of a true Soul charity "Soul for Heroes" Some have tried to take our name and some have tried to call themselves the originator of Soul for Heroes, but how many can say they raised 3.5k yep that's right £3500.00 that's on the door in the bucket and from the raffle and there's still more come we still have to count in collections still pending and the cash raised to date,

A rough estimate puts it around £5000.00

WOW. WOW. WOW. Thank you all so very much.

Don't forget Soul for Heroes will go on so look out we still want your money, look out for more great dayers to come.

Pete

"Caveman"

Guest SoulSceneRob

Hi Everyone,

What can I say? A fantastic day, fantastic cause, fantastic crowd. We would just like to say THANK YOU to ALL the dj's for their time and effort, Northern room was banging ALL day, the RnB/Motown room was the same and I believe the modern/crossover room was no different. All the people who entered the dance competition were sooo brave to do so so WELL DONE for that. I didnt enter coz im probably not as good as i like to think I am :D , The day went really well and were proud to say we were a part of it. :lol: Both Mark and myself would like to thank ALL who attended Pete (Caveman) dj's, guest's, punters, bar staff, the food van, and of course the venue owners for the use of such a fantastic venue. thumbup.gif Also thanks to all of you for your support and kind words both on this thread and on the night. We hope yo see you all again on Sat 16th May. . . :thumbup::yes: Keep on raising the funds for the guys n galls out there.

Keeping the faith (Always)

Rob 'n' Mark

Guest SoulSceneRob

Ello again,

Just a bit more to add, I can't believe this dayer ended up the way it did. When Pete (Caveman) spoke to me at the start and we agreed to use the Grosvenor Rooms, who would have thought it would turn out to be such a massive success? :lol: More praise to follow: 1st Pete (Caveman) Sister Dawn, and Coops. also every one else who chipped in towards the day. We still vcan't believe it.

THANK YOU all soooo much. . . thumbup.gif:thumbup::yes:

Rob 'n' Mark

Ello again,

Just a bit more to add, I can't believe this dayer ended up the way it did. When Pete (Caveman) spoke to me at the start and we agreed to use the Grosvenor Rooms, who would have thought it would turn out to be such a massive success? :lol: More praise to follow: 1st Pete (Caveman) Sister Dawn, and Coops. also every one else who chipped in towards the day. We still vcan't believe it.

THANK YOU all soooo much. . . thumbup.gif:thumbup::yes:

Rob 'n' Mark

Thanks to you and mark mate shell we do it again next year.????????????????????????????????????????

Well what a fantastic day/night we had, we arrived about 12.30 and stayed right to the end, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. thumbup.gif It was great to see so many of our mates there, and it was also nice meeting other fellow soulsourcers for the first time, Caveman Pete, Sister Dawn,Coops and Madmandy........and lots more :D

Thankyou to all involved in making this such a successfull dayer, you all deserve a very big pat on the back for this. :yes: And should feel very proud of yourselves too :thumbup:

Me & Martin are so proud to have been part of this very memorable dayer :lol:

We closed the night, and this is our playlist in no particular order.......... :)

Darrow Fletcher - Pain gets a little deeper (request)

Del - Rays - Fortune teller

Constellations - I didn't know how to (request)

Belles - Don't pretend

Al Gardner - Sweet baby

AC Reed - My babys been cheating

Puzzles - My sweet baby

Patti & The Emblems - I'm gonna love you a long long time

Gwen Davis - My man don't think i know

Capitols - Don't say maybe baby

Adorables - Ooh boy

Valerie & Nick - I'll find you

Sandy Wynns - A touch of venus

Rhonda Davis - Can you remember

Pointer Sisters - Send him back

Jackie Wilson - It only happens when i look at you

Turley Richards - I feel alright

Electrifying Cashmeres - What does it take

Commands - Hey its love (request)

Ruby Andrews - Just lovin you

Helen & Martin xxxKTFxxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Guest kerby

iv,e posted a few photos in the gallery & i will post the others as soon as it lets me upload them , thanks for a superb day .

mart ( kerby )

Guest Suzy

Well what a fantastic day/night we had, we arrived about 12.30 and stayed right to the end, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. thumbup.gif It was great to see so many of our mates there, and it was also nice meeting other fellow soulsourcers for the first time, Caveman Pete, Sister Dawn,Coops and Madmandy........and lots more :)

Thankyou to all involved in making this such a successfull dayer, you all deserve a very big pat on the back for this. :D And should feel very proud of yourselves too :thumbup:

Me & Martin are so proud to have been part of this dayer :lol:

We closed the night, and this is our playlist in no particular order.......... :)

Darrow Fletcher - Pain gets a little deeper (request)

Del - Rays - Fortune teller

Constellations - I didn't know how to (request)

Belles - Don't pretend

Al Gardner - Sweet baby

AC Reed - My babys been cheating

Puzzles - My sweet baby

Patti & The Emblems - I'm gonna love you a long long time

Gwen Davis - My man don't think i know

Capitols - Don't say maybe baby

Adorables - Ooh boy

Valerie & Nick - I'll find you

Sandy Wynns - A touch of venus

Rhonda Davis - Can you remember

Pointer Sisters - Send him back

Jackie Wilson - It only happens when i look at you

Turley Richards - I feel alright

Electrifying Cashmeres - What does it take

Commands - Hey its love (request)

Ruby Andrews - Just lovin you

Helen & Martin xxxKTFxxx

Nice playlist Kerby & Jellybean.........It was nice spending the day with everyone, and what a fantastic day we all had together.

Thank you to everyone who made this day a success....especially the Dj's....well done!!

Nice meeting Madmandy and Sister=Dawn plus a few others and thanks to all our friends in the naughty corner and for all the laughs :yes: see you all soon. Suzy xx

Well what a fantastic day the place was buzzing all day well done to all. Now let's do it all again :yes:

He's my playlist

RITCHIE ADAMS / I CAN'T ESCAPE FROM YOU / CONGRESS

ENCHANTMENTS / I'M IN LOVE WITH YOUR DAUGHTER / FARO

LARRY SANTOS / YOU GOT ME WHERE YOU WANT ME / EVOLUTION

DANNY WAGNER / I LOST A TRUE LOVE / I R IMPERIAL

THE CHARADES / THE KEY TO MY HAPPINESS / M G M

THE VALENTIONS / SWEETER THAN THE DAY BEFORE / CHESS

SYNG McGOWAN / THAT'S WHAT I WANT / HOPE

THE CONSTELLATIONS / I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU / GEMINI STAR

THE CHANDLERS / YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONELY / COL SOUL

DELEGATES OF SOUL / I'LL COME RUNNING BACK / UPLOOK

GENE TOONES / WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT / SIMCO

JOHN BOWIE / YOU'RE GONNA MISS A GOOD THING / MERBEN

THE MAGNETICS / I HAVE A GIRL / Ra-Sel

EDDIE SPENCER / IF THIS IS LOVE / POWER

THE SUPERLATIVES / I STILL LOVE YOU / UPTITE

THELMA LINDSEY / PREPARED TP LOVE LOVE / MAGIC CITY

DEE DEE SHARP / WHAT KIND OF LADY / GAMBLE

HOWARD GUYTON / I WATCHED YOU SLOWLY SLIP AWAY / VERVE

CHRISTINE COOPER / HEARTACHES AWAY MY BOY / PARKWAY

Superb playlist Mr PJ shades.gif it was nice spending the day with you,Suzy and Rachel, and everyone else in the naughty corner :thumbup: see you soon :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Guest Biz

Top day for a top cause,respect to all that turned up , promoters , jocks , and all that donated at different events you did the soul scene proud , must also say the sound system downstairs was top notch :lol:

I cannot add anything that's not already been said. From start to finish, the party/feelgood factor stayed with us throughout the day. Everyone who attended should be thoroughly proud of themselves,especially my great mates Kerby & Jellybean ( Martin & Helen ) who over the past few months rarely went to a venue without the trusty donation bucket and flyers.Top people.I think they might have played a couple of tunes towards the end of the night,if only to empty the room a bit quicker for the staff!! :lol::D:thumbup: To the promoters, THANK YOU & WELL DONE !!!

P.s A sapper winning the dance comp!!? First time i've seen one move THAT quick !!? :D:)

Thanks for the kind words Al, not sure about the comment about emptying the room though lol...... good job your a really good mate of ours, or we may have took offense to that whistling.gif and give ya what for the next time we saw ya!!! :yes::) see ya soon mate wink.gif

Guest Mick Donnelly

been sitting here most of the day watching the feedback roll in and to be honest there is not a lot more I can add ... apart from it was a pleasure to be a small part of something so unique and extraordinary. Started off chilling in the crossover room and catching up with P'Boro crowd before moving into the main hall and finally taking up residence in the R&B room

Only two complaints .... number one... I was playing a few in the R&B room when the dance competiton was on ... obviously a conspiracy to stop me winning :lol:

and secondly ... not enough pairs of ears ... how the hell do you do three rooms at the same time wink.gif ... but saying that as I flitted from room to room through the day I heard some real nice music ... some old favourites and some new to my ears ..... was an absolute pleasure

from memory this whole idea kicked off with a thread on here called DJ's stand up .. well they've stood up, did their thing and now they should take a bow.

And finally to Pete and the crew at S4H ... i tip my hat in your direction ... magnificient effort ....job well done

Mickd

Guest smudgesmith

Having just read every single comment on the post,its brilliant not to read one single negative comment about the day...........fantastic,because thats just what the day was.

Its a pleasure to meet up with people that are only names(Mad Mandy etc...your crackers :lol: ) on a forum,and an even greater pleasure when all those people get together for such a great and worthy cause SOUL FOR HEROES.

To have raised in excess of 5k defies words.Pete,Dawn,Coops,Midge and every one else (too many to mention) give yourselves a big pat on the back.

Every DJ played fantastic tunes,something for the taste of all attendees and i took it as an honour to be asked to participate and play a few,it was the very least i could do.

Congratulation once again to all the organisers,you passed muster.........is that correct Pete?

The few i played are.

Rita and the Tiaras................Gone with the Wind..........Dore

Yvonne Vernee.....................Just like you did Me.........Sonbert

Delites..................................Lover.............................Cuppy

Four Tracks..........................Like my Love...................Mandingo

Mickie Champion...................What good am I...............Mussette

Gene Toone.........................What more do you want.....Simco

Earl Jackson........................Soul self satisfaction.........ABC

Ivories................................Please Stay......................Dispenza

Danny Monday.....................Baby Without you.............Modern

Little Ritchie.........................Just another Hearthache...SS7

Bobby Kline..........................Say Something Nice...........MB

Al Williams............................I am nothing.....................Palmer

Charades..............................Key to My Happiness.........MGM

Four Perfections....................Im not strong enough.......Party time

Rose Batiste.........................Hit and Run......................Revilot

The Tomangoes....................I really Love you..............Washpan

Sam Williams.......................Love slipped through........Tower

Major Lance.........................You dont want me............Epic (Canadian)

Seven Souls..........................I still love you................Okeh

I then passed the reigns over to the governors Carl and Maria.

PS it was a pleasure to use such great equipment.

Edited by smudgesmith

Well what do you say about a day that for me will live on forever?

So many great moments for me three that I will never forget would be warming the floor for the big man him self Dave R an other would be to have the cream of all dj's Carl Willingham on the running order along with the Queen of the female djs Marie Willingham with him.

The top moment for me was when the dance comp winners handed back the prize money I have to admit I found that point very moving, and I would like to thank them from the bottom of my heart you are all true stars.

Before I give you the day's total I would like to thank a few people big thanks to all the DJ's who gave there support free of charge, to the staff of the venue for a great venue and keeping the suds flowing all day.

Monster thanks to my good friend Dave knight who allowed us to use his equipment in the modern room, I know he will be cleaning it down as I type.

Rob and Mark for coming up trumps when a certain party let us down with equipment thanks lads.

To Dave Raistrick for his donation of Trophies and prize money

Now the Team Sister Dawn, Midge, Coop's and lets not forget Helen "JB" with out you lot I would not have been able to produce a great dayer, if they gave medals for determination and support you lot would be receiving it right now . THANK YOU

Ok now the last bit, yesterday saw the birth of a true Soul charity "Soul for Heroes" Some have tried to take our name and some have tried to call themselves the originator of Soul for Heroes, but how many can say they raised 3.5k yep that's right £3500.00 that's on the door in the bucket and from the raffle and there's still more come we still have to count in collections still pending and the cash raised to date,

A rough estimate puts it around £5000.00

WOW. WOW. WOW. Thank you all so very much.

Don't forget Soul for Heroes will go on so look out we still want your money, look out for more great dayers to come.

Pete

"Caveman"

Can I swear on here????

(no better not) :lol:

THATS FFF..... FANTASTIC STILL I'M STILL AT A LOSS FOR WORDS, IN FACT MY VOICE HAS NEARLY GONE AFTER LAUGHING AND TALKING SO MUCH YESTERDAY (SOME WOULD SAY THATS A GOOD THING) laugh.gif:thumbup::yes::D

Having just read every single comment on the post,its brilliant not to read one single negative comment about the day...........fantastic,because thats just what the day was.

Its a pleasure to meet up with people that are only names(Mad Mandy etc...your crackers :lol: ) on a forum,and an even greater pleasure when all those people get together for such a great and worthy cause SOUL FOR HEROES.

To have raised in excess of 5k defies words.Pete,Dawn,Coops,Midge and every one else (too many to mention) give yourselves a big pat on the back.

Every DJ played fantastic tunes,something for the taste of all attendees and i took it as an honour to be asked to participate and play a few,it was the very least i could do.

Congratulation once again to all the organisers,you passed muster.........is that correct Pete?

The few i played are.

Rita and the Tiaras................Gone with the Wind..........Dore

Yvonne Vernee.....................Just like you did Me.........Sonbert

Delites..................................Lover.............................Cuppy

Four Tracks..........................Like my Love...................Mandingo

Mickie Champion...................What good am I...............Mussette

Gene Toone.........................What more do you want.....Simco

Earl Jackson........................Soul self satisfaction.........ABC

Ivories................................Please Stay......................Dispenza

Danny Monday.....................Baby Without you.............Modern

Little Ritchie.........................Just another Hearthache...SS7

Bobby Kline..........................Say Something Nice...........MB

Al Williams............................I am nothing.....................Palmer

Charades..............................Key to My Happiness.........MGM

Four Perfections....................Im not strong enough.......Party time

Rose Batiste.........................Hit and Run......................Revilot

The Tomangoes....................I really Love you..............Washpan

I then passed the reigns over to the governors Carl and Maria.

PS it was a pleasure to use such great equipment.

Bang on Mate thanks for your part if i don't see you before ,see you in June down south.

By the way as always you played a blinder

thanks

Soul for Heroes, Grosvenor Rooms May 2009

Over £5,000 raised for Help for Heroes charity was the core reason for the event but the core result was an all-dayer that truly was memorable for all the right reasons.

The Dancers danced as the dee-jays played.

Old and new friends were greeted and appreciated.

No Swine Flu but the Roast Pig flew off the hotplate into eager and hungry hands.

Three rooms and more dee-jays one could shake a stick at, out of the many I heard not one acquitted him or herself with anything less than honour.

Didn't get into the Motown/RnB room much, not too keen on 60s Motown and wasn't quite sure who would be playing the RnB (which is growing on me the more I hear it).

Main Room, packed with people, packed with dancers and packed with soul.

Smudge and Martin Stanford holding the Peterborough flag high in that room and were matched by many of those weaving their own magic from the decks.

Modern and Crossover room was (for me) a place to rest my soul and have it massaged by tunes to make the very Angels cry.

For my part I would like to thank Pete Watkins for allowing me to play a small part in the momentous event and also for allowing me to do a set in the same room as Carl Willingham (and of course Maria), Mick & Mo, Rupe (who's set I missed), Barry Cooper, Terry Gee, Steve Woomble and Andy Jackson, all revered by me simply for their exemplary taste in soul music.

For what it's worth my play list was:

Four Wonders - Just Looking For My Love - Solid Foundation

New Rotary Connection - Hey Love - Cadet

Sam Dees - Signed Miss Heroine - Atlantic

Teddy Pendergrass - It's You I Love - PIR

Randy Brown - I'm Always In The Mood - Parachute L.P.

City Limits - Words Without Love - TSOP L.P.

Trammps - Stop and Think - Golden Fleece L.P.

Jimmy James - Hey Girl - PYE L.P.

Will Downing - A Love Supreme - (jazz in the house re-mix) 4th & Broadway 12"

Terry Callier - Still Waters - Elaktra L.P.

Harry Ray - My Baby Loves Me - Panoramic 12"

Ben E King - Smooth Sailing - Atlantic L.P.

Well done Pete, Dawn, Midge, Jelly Bean and ALL those who partook, revives ones' faith in the nature of man (and woman).

Also, Rob & Mark, good men, thanks for sharing your top venue.

images on: https://ournorthernsouls.org/sfh1.aspx

Guest Fatius Bumius

Echo everything postive others have posted so far. What a brilliant day from start to finish. Never been to the Grosvenor Rooms before, what a perfect venue ! Turned the corner of the street and thought 'Crike, is this it, it's not very big....?? :thumbup: A building with a little side door....beyond that little side door was Rosie on the door who kindly sorted it out with her dad Pete and Dave Night Nurse to let us in even without our tickets, cos SOMEONE forgot to take them...and it wasn't me. :) We walked down the little corridor and got a shock when we saw the main room, just perfect! How can a venue like that be hiding behind a little door? Atmosphere was already brewing at about 2pm and the odd one or two dancers had started to hit the floor. I was really tempted to get up myself when Phil Richards was DJ'ing, he belted out a fair few good ones, proper northern soul :) We was joined by the Attic lads at about 3pm, they took the last seats in the house I think. Big Paul is deffo not cut out for daytime activities, too much sunlight makes him daft (dafter) :yes: He's not seen the sun or a cloud for a long time have you dear? I did plan on milling about the venue going to each of the rooms for an hour or so at a time, but got settled in the main room and lost track of time. The day got better and better and we had a lot of laughs along the way. Laughed that much in the first ten minutes of being there that Jim had real tears rolling down his face! We planned to go walkabout to find food in a nearby pub at about 5.30 but sacked that idea for fear of missing something while we were gone and we settled for a burger from the jolly burger man out the back.

Good to eventually meet up with Sister Dawn who seemed to be quite stress free and very happy and chirpy, well done that lady :D Oh and thanks for the dedication...for her mate Di...Little Anthony and the Imperials...cos I couldn't get to see them live, so Better Use Your Head was her substitute :lol:

Met up with a lot of people we hadn't seen for a long time and chatted with a lot i've never spoken to before, "HELLO CASPER" :D . Oh and hello to Brian from Skeg, and yeah, you're still ugly and i'm still fat wink.gifshades.gif Happy cheery smiley faces all day long from everyone.

Had to leave a bit early for the last bus back home.....kicking ourselves cos we managed to miss it so we could have stayed till the end and got a taxi :D

Well done to all involved for putting on a great day.

Till next time....

Di

Source Advert