Lucky Escape At Customs

Pete S

My Informers - baby set me free - Blackjack just arrived from the States, although it cost a few hundred dollars I asked them to put $20 as the value, anyway those sneaky customs people actually opened the package and searched for a receipt to see if the sender was lying, fortunately there was none in there otherwise I'd have been paying £100 in charges. What bugs me is that I still don't think they can charge this sort of amount on used second hand goods.

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

My Informers - baby set me free - Blackjack just arrived from the States, although it cost a few hundred dollars I asked them to put $20 as the value, anyway those sneaky customs people actually opened the package and searched for a receipt to see if the sender was lying, fortunately there was none in there otherwise I'd have been paying £100 in charges. What bugs me is that I still don't think they can charge this sort of amount on used second hand goods.

Does my nut in.

I had some christian extremist who was putting jesus messages on every email last year who flipped when I asked him to put $20 gift on an $1000 tune. He said he was going to report me to the FBI for tax evasion, he ended up putting $2500 insurance on it, and I had to pay summit like £250 in charges!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Does my nut in.

I had some christian extremist who was putting jesus messages on every email last year who flipped when I asked him to put $20 gift on an $1000 tune. He said he was going to report me to the FBI for tax evasion, he ended up putting $2500 insurance on it, and I had to pay summit like £250 in charges!!!!!!!!!!!

First time for me last week. £24 to release my Ethel Beatty 12" out of their thieving hands. angry.gif

Jordi

Social source share

What bugs me is that I still don't think they can charge this sort of amount on used second hand goods.

Pete,

Heres a quote from the HM Customs web site...

3.2 Is duty charged on used goods?

Used goods are still liable to the same duty and VAT charges as if they were new. However, their value may vary depending on their age and condition.

https://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P108_10657

It does suck though.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

I wonder what their stance will be if you claim that it is borrowed but very valuable goods that has been sent back to you?

I mean, if there isn't a receipt in the package, how can customs be certain that the item has actually been purchased?

It might be a gift from someone despite being sent with a $2500 insurance!

Or indeed a friend sending back a valuable record that they have borrowed.

Oh well! :thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

boxing.gifshhh.gif/The point is they dont? its our postal service that does it shhh.gif you ask any one who has bout tobacco back from holidaysshhh.gif they dont ask what shop they just do yougood.gifph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Does my nut in.

F**K that S**t !! I would totally threaten to report him to the IRS for not disclosing huge profits through trading in his tax returns saying youre gonna demand he be thoroughly audited. However Holier than thou these people are I bet you they're not owning up on it all themselves.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

F**K that S**t !! I would totally threaten to report him to the IRS for not disclosing huge profits through trading in his tax returns saying youre gonna demand he be thoroughly audited. However Holier than thou these people are I bet you they're not owning up on it all themselves.

Hey Poly,

Hope you're well?

I get the impression that he reports every dime to the IRS and donated 10% of the money I sent him to his insane born again healing hands church pastor.

Hope to see you soon...

ATB

J

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Hey Poly,

Hope you're well?

I get the impression that he reports every dime to the IRS and donated 10% of the money I sent him to his insane born again healing hands church pastor.

Hope to see you soon...

ATB

J

Ha ha, there's always one ! Missed all the Brixton bashes so far but gotta make it to the next one - heard theyre top nights, know Ion and Mark since time. rob

Social source share

Hey Poly,

Hope you're well?

Hope to see you soon...

ATB

J

Sounds like someone on ebay i have deal with before called Navin

god bless you my sonbiggrin.gif

Social source share

HI,

HAVE YOU NOTICED HOW SOME US SELLERS PUT THE VALUE ON THE CUSTOMS ( $2-oo EXAMPLE )

I HAD ONE LIKE THIS AND CUSTOMS SAID IT WAS $200 DOLLARS AND I HAD TO PAY £30 + IMPORT DUTY,

IT'S HOPELESS TRYING TO GET A REFUND, I GUESS THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE IS TO TELL THE PO TO RETURN TO SENDER,

AND TELL HIM TO RE-POST IT,

JOE.

Social source share

Only in this fecking RIP OFF country would this happen!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I had to pay £80 quid last year and also had to drive to the Preston depo to pay and collect the record, 30 mile round trip.

And I hope HMRC ARE reading this.

YOU F@CKING LEECHES!!! wanker.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I seriously doubt that Great Britain is the only country in the world charging import duty on goods from abroad.

And? :thumbup: who else the?.......im talking Europe here,we all have the same laws, or is that only when it suits us?

:thumbup:

Social source share

And? unsure.gif who else the?.......im talking Europe here,we all have the same laws, or is that only when it suits us?

wink.gif

I was charged a whooping 2500 Nis (shekels) which converts into 500 quid for a box of records cause the b**tards found a recipt inside.....I was not happy - Sending back was not an option as they only send via sea.....which would probably mean I 'd see the records sometime in 2029......

John

Social source share

I once bought a lot of about 100/120 records from an ex-record shop owner in the US. Blokes at the customs didn't really trust the value of $18 on the parcel so they asked me to come to the office and be present when they're going to open the box and examine the content. They took out all the records and went through them one by one to see if there is any invoice or price tags to indicate the true value. They didn't find anything so they just wrapped up the box again, gave it to me and told me politely to fu*k off home.

At home I opened the box only to find that each and every record had prices of anything between $5-$15 written on the other side of the sleeves! If the guys at the customs had flipped just one record and saw the price on the sleeve they would have charged me at least 150-200 euros.

Social source share

And? unsure.gif who else the?.......im talking Europe here,we all have the same laws, or is that only when it suits us?

wink.gif

I guess almost every country in the world charges import duty. So why saying "Only in this fecking RIP OFF country would this happen"?

If you're going to import goods above a certain value you have to pay import duty and (at least in Germany) VAT. It doesn't and shouldn't matter whether the goods are new or used.

We all are or were spending loads of $$$ for records in the US and usually get away with it. So why is it a such a big deal if we get caught now and then?

Social source share

3.2 Is duty charged on used goods?

Used goods are still liable to the same duty and VAT charges as if they were new. However, their value may vary depending on their age and condition.

https://customs.hmrc....nt#P108_10657It does suck though.

This is all happening because the Post Office have recently started taking notice of the Customs Declaration Forms on packages sent here from outside the EU. The Post Office brought in, guess what?; a 'Customs Handling Charge'whistling.gif . Prior to that, I recall getting LPs, CDs, etc from Dusty Groove America, etc, and the P.O. taking no notice of the amount, on the declaration. I got charged last yearohmy.gif , and if you use the search phrase "Customs Handling Charge", you may still find threads about this charge.shades.gif

An associate of mine, who is a Solicitor, did think what the P.O. was doing, was fraudulent (in making the 'Handling Charge'); I'm not so sure.

Taking this to a higher level, why should we, living in the UK, be not able to trade freely (Legal enterpretation needed here), with anyone we wish to, anywhere in the world? Particularly since the Internet has made this so easy.shades.gif

Finally, what about getting the seller to state, on the pack, that it's a GIFT?

Social source share

I once bought a lot of about 100/120 records from an ex-record shop owner in the US. Blokes at the customs didn't really trust the value of $18 on the parcel so they asked me to come to the office and be present when they're going to open the box and examine the content. They took out all the records and went through them one by one to see if there is any invoice or price tags to indicate the true value. They didn't find anything so they just wrapped up the box again, gave it to me and told me politely to fu*k off home.

At home I opened the box only to find that each and every record had prices of anything between $5-$15 written on the other side of the sleeves! If the guys at the customs had flipped just one record and saw the price on the sleeve they would have charged me at least 150-200 euros.

Ha Ha, love it!!! Effin' twats!!!

Social source share

The handling charge is probably a brokeridge charge for putting the invoice etc. to Customs so you can have the pleasue of paying VAT & Duty.

Most times anything under 50 dollars wont create any charges.

If you bring in via UPS the brokeridge charge is a minimum of £11:00.Depending on value of Import what you pay as a brockeridge charge.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert