Overseas Ns Scenes

Guest chorleybloke

• Replies 144
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Djs in Oz + Nostalgic ...Isnt that what its all about playing the trax you know & love -Nostalgia ? Plenty of underplayed trax from the 60s & 70s to be aired rather than being progressive ,thats just playin modern junk (not everyones thought i know) I have seen some of those dj to 10 people thats not progression in my book :thumbup:

Social source share

progressive djs in OZ,

would say they are way ahead of OZ.

because the UK is also lagging behind these guys. WE can learn a lot

"we were there at the beginning, so we know best and our definition of what it is, is the dogs b-llocks"

We seem to be stuck in a rut in this country and venues are a bit too afraid to GO FOR IT and try to embrace fully whats happening in the wider world of soul/funk quality 60/70s music.

What a bizare posting, just what does all this mean ?? We should all now go to Kobe, Tokyo or Frankfurt for our

soul nights ? ohmy.gif

Perhaps the most inappropriate comment is that old cop-out above, 99.9999999% of returning soulies are just glad

the scene is alive and well, they do however reserve the right to criticise stuff that gets played if they feel it's a

load of old tat, as a lot of that real rare stuff is. yes.gif

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Oh and I should say I have experienced all-nighters in Italy, France, Spain and Germany so in answer to original question is yes your perception is bollocks, Germany in particular being the most adventurous and successful musically, with a majority of unbelievably enthusiastic, knowledgeable and friendly people, ANd for taking it serious, I think the amount of people taking time to go out and combine good music with great local culture answers that surely.

Your perception is bollocks since you are making assumptions based on your background rather than your experience, very typical ex-pat attitude I would have to say.

I am now interested in seeing these Australian progressive playlists, as the limited amount of current empirical evidence, e.g. Manifesto and on here, doesn't back up this claim, so it would be good to have these perceptions at least challenged before I book my flight out!

Ey up Jocko,

I assume it's my original posting that's getting you hot under the collarranting_1.gif. If so have another read but this time more carefully - I was prompted by an earlier poster who had jumped to the entirely wrong conclusion about Australian NS events based on the limited information available to him, ie Manifesto and this site, so it got me wondering if this bloke was one of many sharing the same misconception.

I then admitted that I too was probably equally guilty (except for Spain/Ireland which I know about), the point being that it's dangerous to say anything at all unless you have first hand experience. I'm very aware that other European scenes are high quality because of the record buying & selling I've been involved with over the last 15 yearsthumbup.gif .

As for playlists, we play what the paying guests want - and actively invite written requests. In Perth at the Irish Club that's predominantly 60s uptempo and yes, you'll hear plenty of well known stuff. But we always strive to keep the playlists fresh so a good sample of underplayed sounds will be spun every month.

Cheers.......Pete

Edited by chorleybloke
Social source share

What a bizare posting, just what does all this mean ?? We should all now go to Kobe, Tokyo or Frankfurt for our

soul nights ? ohmy.gif

Perhaps the most inappropriate comment is that old cop-out above, 99.9999999% of returning soulies are just glad

the scene is alive and well, they do however reserve the right to criticise stuff that gets played if they feel it's a

load of old tat, as a lot of that real rare stuff is. yes.gif

you will be getting the 4 oclock knock,, from the soul taliban for that last statement ph34r.gif

Social source share

at least someone else thinks it's ridiculous laugh.gif btw i read on another thread you hail from portland!? timbers fan at all?

I make it to a few games a year. Crowds always way into it. Can't wait for them to go pro....as long as the tickets don't become ridiculousunsure.gif. Where you at?

Social source share

I make it to a few games a year. Crowds always way into it. Can't wait for them to go pro....as long as the tickets don't become ridiculousunsure.gif. Where you at?

I'm way over in chicago. I' a slight fan of the timbers myself, but i'll be torn when they go mls next season and have to play the fire. great NS scene out by you from what i hear, i was supposed to go out there last spring and check it out but the economy crashed and i lost my job. do you spin out there?

Social source share

Djs in Oz + Nostalgic ...Isnt that what its all about playing the trax you know & love -Nostalgia ? Plenty of underplayed trax from the 60s & 70s to be aired rather than being progressive ,thats just playin modern junk (not everyones thought i know) I have seen some of those dj to 10 people thats not progression in my book thumbsup.gif

Isn't that what it's all about playing the trax you know & love -Nostalgia?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Well maybe for you?

shades.gif

For me it's about discovery, if I wanted the same old same old I don't think I would have left Tiffanies and stole out into the night to listen to the sounds of black America, the same old same old can be heard on any radio program.

Nostalgia? I'll take my nostalgia when I start wearing the jumpers my mum still sends me!

I want new sounds, I don't want to be like every one else, I don't want a crammed full I pod , I don't want a DJ who plays "The biggies at Wigan" I want the littlies, I want the secret smokey cool sounds that makes me feel part of some thing special. I want to hear people say, "Have a listen to this", I want my mind blown by me and a record, I do not want to hear the same old fookin, "Oh I love this track, remember this, and fancy a sherry Barbra, hold on Jim its my round, you've had too many me old mate, Oi Oi, spilt some on the floor, more talc any one, fookin love this one.... All I want is moon light and music, fancy a dance Babs? Used to dance to this at Wigan we did, I had this on clear vinyl more talc any one, ah this is a good n, used to do our lass on the back of my LI 250 to this, nother pint, , "Oh I love this track, remember this, and fancy a sherry Barbra.

Nostalgia? Stick it up yer bum, I'll have some of that Northernsoul please.

Social source share

Just followed the post Kinky Ken added with the flyer "Sun N Soul", it has a web site Soul Dresden, there are play lists and wav clips so you can sample some of the stuff on there and its mega!

https://www.soul-magic.de/links.html

They seam to have thrown the rule book out and mixed a heady cocktail of up front sounds and underplayed oldies with a pinch of the classics so it retains a Northernsoul pudding worthy of a taste.

Now that's what Northernsoul is about, Germany seams to be on the righteous path without the clutter of hanbaggers and bear bellied Soulies out for a bit of nostalgia.

My DJ of the month is Peter Wehand excellent play list, another fave is Michael Fuchs who spins some wicked trax.

Social source share

Well maybe for you?

shades.gif

For me it's about discovery, if I wanted the same old same old I don't think I would have left Tiffanies and stole out into the night to listen to the sounds of black America, the same old same old can be heard on any radio program.

Nostalgia? I'll take my nostalgia when I start wearing the jumpers my mum still sends me!

I want new sounds, I don't want to be like every one else, I don't want a crammed full I pod , I don't want a DJ who plays "The biggies at Wigan" I want the littlies, I want the secret smokey cool sounds that makes me feel part of some thing special. I want to hear people say, "Have a listen to this", I want my mind blown by me and a record, I do not want to hear the same old fookin, "Oh I love this track, remember this, and fancy a sherry Barbra, hold on Jim its my round, you've had too many me old mate, Oi Oi, spilt some on the floor, more talc any one, fookin love this one.... All I want is moon light and music, fancy a dance Babs? Used to dance to this at Wigan we did, I had this on clear vinyl more talc any one, ah this is a good n, used to do our lass on the back of my LI 250 to this, nother pint, , "Oh I love this track, remember this, and fancy a sherry Barbra.

How come you never go to Lifeline then Simon, sounds perfect for you based on above?

Social source share

Well maybe for you?

shades.gif

Taken out of context ,it was Nostalgia v Progressive, as my post said plenty of underplayed 60s & 70s tunes versus Modern crap which isnt Northern Soul .:lol:

Social source share

I'm biting today coz I'm bored

Stewmac, how can you say Modern is crap? I remember the first time I ever heard Patrick Hernandez - Born to Be Alive and I was blown away, are you suggesting that Born to Be Alive isn't a great record?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVgM7qeAlko

Jocko re Life Line, it is on my deffo things do list.

Deka and I set out a list of things we wanted to do for 2009 and we listed attending German, Spain and Ireland weekenders, we fell a little short due to work and family commitments but we did most of the usual allnighters.

The weekend its six Hills, weekend after Blackpool then the mighty Maximes, haven't, daren't look at Decembers dates, I do have my brand new 2010 wall planner ready to go up in my study (back bedroom were my PC is)

My only real criticism of the foreign scene is their lack of effort when it comes down to transport, why can't a coach be laid on from say Manchester and Sheffield to the Irish Club on Townsend road? We used to have coach trips back in the day, just a thought.

Social source share

Djs in Oz + Nostalgic ...Isnt that what its all about playing the trax you know & love -Nostalgia ? Plenty of underplayed trax from the 60s & 70s to be aired rather than being progressive ,thats just playin modern junk (not everyones thought i know) I have seen some of those dj to 10 people thats not progression in my book thumbsup.gif

Social source share

At the end of the day whe should be proud that we all are spreading the love , we all bat for the same team..... ie the music and wonderful talented artists who made it and give them the credit and spread the music to people all over the world. wether it be an oldie , progressive tune or an unreleased gem. who cares ..........spread the love to as many corners of the globe that need some soulvation ,Wether it be South Africa , Chile , Guatamala or Bognor regis

petemj

Brilliant!

Social source share

Hi I Just had to add my 50 cents , being a collector and soul lover and a DJ who tries to be progressive in a new country (sic) , i migrated to Australia thinking i would be the only person over here that liked 'soul"; the best thing that happened to my new life was spending 10 odd years thinking that i was the only person in the southern hemisphere that collected northern and modern ......and then finding through the hard work of people like George ( aussie), Vince and Pete ( chorley Bloke ) Alex( aussie) , Frank plus countless others that there was a scene already over here . It is a great pleasure to be part of it , and see it grow from strength from strength . The scene here to me is like one happy family , a happy adventure and that is what it should be all about,.

At the end of the day whe should be proud that we all are spreading the love , we all bat for the same team..... ie the music and wonderful talented artists who made it and give them the credit and spread the music to people all over the world. wether it be an oldie , progressive tune or an unreleased gem. who cares ..........spread the love to as many corners of the globe that need some soulvation ,Wether it be South Africa , Chile , Guatamala or Bognor regis

petemj

Social source share

It's not a Australian scene though is it,just a bunch of homesick wannabe's whistling.gif

lamsey.gif last time i went home (UK) i didn't feel homesick ,i got homesick there when i realised how crap the weather was and wanted to get back to Australia for the sunshine shades.gif

petem

We like the weather here its what makes us us,you can keep your dust storms and forest fires and skin cancer and boredem and finaly spiders that kill you,no i dont like fishing either. :lol:

Social source share

Im talking about 60s and 70s (my box is full of em!) ...not modern 'junk' (your term). And it depends if the 10 people have soul and open ears and hearts. Rather play to them than 500 nostalgia trip, retro looking, non listening, closed minded, moaning throwbacks trying to relive their youth! Just my opinion and preference of courseyes.gif

Social source share

This is from our 2 years anniversary (we're 6 years now :thumbup:) and this is how we do it in Norway (Oslo)

I know this will not fit the "therm" northern soul, but for us, soul will be R&B, northern, modern and some funk, and we (and all our members) like it this way. Maybe it's cos we don't know any other way and we don't have the "history" that UK have when it comes to soul music.

Edited by Tommy1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Sorry for this, trying har to find out how to embed a youtube video no.gifg.gif

When you compose a post click on the 3 interlocked squares at the end of the of the line of icons at the top. A small box will appear which you can copy and paste the youtube url into

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I'm biting today coz I'm bored

Stewmac, how can you say Modern is crap? I remember the first time I ever heard Patrick Hernandez - Born to Be Alive and I was blown away, are you suggesting that Born to Be Alive isn't a great record?

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=BVgM7qeAlko

Jocko re Life Line, it is on my deffo things do list.

Deka and I set out a list of things we wanted to do for 2009 and we listed attending German, Spain and Ireland weekenders, we fell a little short due to work and family commitments but we did most of the usual allnighters.

The weekend its six Hills, weekend after Blackpool then the mighty Maximes, haven't, daren't look at Decembers dates, I do have my brand new 2010 wall planner ready to go up in my study (back bedroom were my PC is)

My only real criticism of the foreign scene is their lack of effort when it comes down to transport, why can't a coach be laid on from say Manchester and Sheffield to the Irish Club on Townsend road? We used to have coach trips back in the day, just a thought.

Yea its crap mate ,before my time tho :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

I'm sure it is....lol....you said it Q&A.....as for the rest of the blinkered statement, you have enough of your own natural disasters, floods, some servere weather & 'usually' a washed out summer, so that's why majority of people bugger off to Spain & the like to get their 'suntan', lay in the sun for 2 weeks, I know I used to do it, hence the rising skin cancer rate in the UK. 'Boredom'.....now, that is a laugh, how can we get bored?...we've got one of the highest standards of living in the world, way above the UK, great weather, plenty of things to do which cost nowt. No one has died from a spider bite in Australia since 1979 & in fact only 53 authenticated deaths occured from 1927-1979......I'm sure you have more pensioners die from hyperthermia because they don't get a decent pension from the usual 'I'm all right Jack' wankers you have in power in one winter, I'm not knocking the UK per se, just your obvious dislike of 'anything' Aussie....fishing by the way is the most popular sport in the world (which I don't do) the only difference is we can actually catch fish here.

As for us being 'homesick' wannabes....what a load of old tosh.

KTF

Baz

We like the weather here its what makes us us,you can keep your dust storms and forest fires and skin cancer and boredem and finaly spiders that kill you,no i dont like fishing either. laugh.gif

Social source share

I'm sure it is....lol....you said it Q&A.....as for the rest of the blinkered statement, you have enough of your own natural disasters, floods, some servere weather & 'usually' a washed out summer, so that's why majority of people bugger off to Spain & the like to get their 'suntan', lay in the sun for 2 weeks, I know I used to do it, hence the rising skin cancer rate in the UK. 'Boredom'.....now, that is a laugh, how can we get bored?...we've got one of the highest standards of living in the world, way above the UK, great weather, plenty of things to do which cost nowt. No one has died from a spider bite in Australia since 1979 & in fact only 53 authenticated deaths occured from 1927-1979......I'm sure you have more pensioners die from hyperthermia because they don't get a decent pension from the usual 'I'm all right Jack' wankers you have in power in one winter, I'm not knocking the UK per se, just your obvious dislike of 'anything' Aussie....fishing by the way is the most popular sport in the world (which I don't do) the only difference is we can actually catch fish here.

KTF

Baz

Not me i dont like the sun it gives me headaches,and i like Doug Parkinson and skippy.bye

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Hi I Just had to add my 50 cents , being a collector and soul lover and a DJ who tries to be progressive in a new country (sic) , i migrated to Australia thinking i would be the only person over here that liked 'soul"; the best thing that happened to my new life was spending 10 odd years thinking that i was the only person in the southern hemisphere that collected northern and modern ......and then finding through the hard work of people like George ( aussie), Vince and Pete ( chorley Bloke ) Alex( aussie) , Frank plus countless others that there was a scene already over here . It is a great pleasure to be part of it , and see it grow from strength from strength . The scene here to me is like one happy family , a happy adventure and that is what it should be all about,.

petemj

Well said Pete you've hit the nail right on the head there.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everybody Comrade Moustache here!

Amsterdam/Netherlands (note not Holland as this forms only 2 of the provinces in the Netherlands).

Amsterdam Soul Club 3rd Saturday of Month. Rare and Oldies youngish dancefloor. We' re going again on 19th December!

Comrade Moustache (Suit sponsored by Seymours of York back in 5 minutes)

Hi Comrade Moustache,

You're welcome once again to our thriving little soul scene in Amsterdam.

ASCDecember2009VoorKwart.jpg

We've started 2 years ago.

And in reply to previous posts:

I'm the Dutchie between our UK DJ's and I'm the only one that does the ocasional talking inbetween records. When I started doing that, a friend of mine (a dutch soul DJ) replied: "Are you going to mumble now like those guys in England do all the time?, If I dont know what record you're playing I'll come up to the decks to ask you"

Apparently Dutch (especially the younger) people get put off if a DJ talks during his or her set. This DJ skill was lost somewhere when the Tiestos and Armin van Buren's took over.

At the Amsterdam Soul Club we're now slowly trying to re-educate our audience upto UK standards! Even if it's just to anounce our orders from the bar.

Cheers

Jos

Edited by magnificentJoe
Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I used to have a website a few years ago, selling vintage style Northern Soul Clothing & i had some orders for circle skirts from Australia & Japan yes.gif

I was quite suprised! ohmy.gif

Debbie x

Sorry to have a go debbie but i hate the phrase vintage style, its vintage or not.glare.gif

Edited by kid mohair
Social source share

Sorry to have a go debbie but i hate the phrase vintage style, its vintage or not.glare.gif

I understand what your saying, but its a tricky one when your selling!

Because i use an vintage pattern, but the fabric is modern, you have to be clear when you list something on a website or even on E bay, it has to be listed as vintage style,

because the fabric is new, if you see what i mean?

if you just put vintage, people will think the fabric is old & when they get it, oh my god, do they moan! :thumbsup:

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I understand what your saying, but its a tricky one when your selling!

Because i use an original vintage pattern, but the fabric is modern, so when i list something on a website or even on E bay, it has to be listed as vintage style,

because the fabric is new, if you see what i mean!

if you just put vintage, people will think the fabric is old & when they get it, oh my god, do they moan! laugh.gif

Debbie x

ok, i understand, fair enough...Andy.xx

Social source share

It's not a Australian scene though is it,just a bunch of homesick wannabe's whistling.gif

lamsey.gif last time i went home (UK) i didn't feel homesick ,i got homesick there when i realised how crap the weather was and wanted to get back to Australia for the sunshine shades.gif

petem

Isn't there more to life than sunshine and northern soul then Pete ?? Life's what you make it wherever you are and IF ONLY things were as you say in your post, well ???????????????????????????? T Bone. South West Soul, Fremantle, W.A.

Social source share

This is from our 2 years anniversary (we're 6 years now :no:) and this is how we do it in Norway (Oslo)

I know this will not fit the "therm" northern soul, but for us, soul will be R&B, northern, modern and some funk, and we (and all our members) like it this way. Maybe it's cos we don't know any other way and we don't have the "history" that UK have when it comes to soul music.

As i have said before.. I have am a big fan of the soul experience outside the uk, its like all my eggs in one basket to get to some great countries and take in the culture and meet like minded soul fans and get to events too and play a few tunes or just take in the experience and drink and dance.. I like cross section of sounds from tradional northern/ crossover/ 70s/ RnB/ Deep funk/ Rare soul/ deep soul/ Latin and can find this in its many forms around the globe.. Its not just the scene i look for though, i could find one keen collector in a wooden shack and a goat for partner alone on a moutain top and have a great experience( with the collector and not the goat ).. I don't go places with blinkers on or try to make comparisons with the scene here, just take in some different culture and get my fix of black plastic heaven and meet other people who hold a 7" record like a new born baby or just dance to what we think is the music from the gods..

Usa, lA and got a sample of the soul scene and mod scene, scooter scene.. A mix of tradional northern,crossover/ funk/ ska/ Rnb.. Played clubs ranging from 300 in a northern event to 150 in the mod and scooter events.. Looking to do NY event in 2010..

Sweden ( Gothenborg )one of the best dj soul experiences of my life with an up for it younger crowd..

Norway ( Oslo, soul experience )quality event with a mixed music policy from 60s to Modern... Gonna be back there soon, top quality IMO..

Australia ( Briabane national weekender, gold coast soul club, Sydney soul sisters ), had a great time as so well looked after and got to sample a mix of sounds from Wigan classics to crossover and modern..

Spain... Barcelona events with some very big collectors and quality djs who can and like to mix styles in one room... Still looking to do Madrid and Valencia in 2010

France... Perpignan weekender... Quality event and one of the best venues ever, a good mix of soul fans from France/ Spain/uk..

Italy.. Madrid record kicks with northern/ funk/ jazz,... plus the RnB MOD events

Germany.. Been to events in the North West only but found plenty passion/ good clubs/ quality collectors and djs, again accross the board from tadional northern and onwards.. Looking at some of the quality weekenders for future trips..

Ireland.. Sleepless nights Dublin soul events are something that you should all try.. Plus soul/ RnB events in Wexford..

We have soul and passion all over the world, get out there and try it...

I have had some of the best experiences ever on travels for soul events and met friends for life... Could not ask for more really..

Just have some respect for all the creatures that lurk on this forum from all four corners of the uk and around the world.. We all have passion and love our music, its just a broad church with many different sounds, i like to dip my toe in a few different styles and have found the good stuff and shite in all...

I have done a bit of soul on my travels but still waiting to do plenty more, only one ride in the taxi of life, make sure you take it round the clock a couple of times is my motto...

Blinkers off.. Passport out and come home with a soul experience and not a stuffed Donkey, ten bottles of cheap moonshine and 10,000 fags to see you through the next 6 months :thumbsup: ....

Just my take on things and i aint preaching to others.. We all have to find what floats our boat and good luck to you..

I did talk to Mike about an overseas section for events and will talk to him some more, i think that could be of use for a lot of folk planning holidays/ weekends away..

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

KTF

Baz

Well said Baz! Where the boredom comes in I don't know (probably why I left in the first place, oh yes and the weather!) This is the best city in the world IMO and I have lived in other countries too. I love my Oldies but like some Modern some I can dance to and some not. Our events and particularly the weekenders are real social events, we all know each other and I love it. It's not like the UK scene and doesn't have to be it's our scene and this is how it has evolved. All the DJ's do it for free and that's the way it is. Looking forward to the next night.

Social source share

Guest familytree

As i have said before.. I have am a big fan of the soul experience outside the uk, its like all my eggs in one basket to get to some great countries and take in the culture and meet like minded soul fans and get to events too and play a few tunes or just take in the experience and drink and dance.. I like cross section of sounds from tradional northern/ crossover/ 70s/ RnB/ Deep funk/ Rare soul/ deep soul/ Latin and can find this in its many forms around the globe.. Its not just the scene i look for though, i could find one keen collector in a wooden shack and a goat for partner alone on a moutain top and have a great experience( with the collector and not the goat ).. I don't go places with blinkers on or try to make comparisons with the scene here, just take in some different culture and get my fix of black plastic heaven and meet other people who hold a 7" record like a new born baby or just dance to what we think is the music from the gods..

Usa, lA and got a sample of the soul scene and mod scene, scooter scene.. A mix of tradional northern,crossover/ funk/ ska/ Rnb.. Played clubs ranging from 300 in a northern event to 150 in the mod and scooter events.. Looking to do NY event in 2010..

Sweden ( Gothenborg )one of the best dj soul experiences of my life with an up for it younger crowd..

Norway ( Oslo, soul experience )quality event with a mixed music policy from 60s to Modern... Gonna be back there soon, top quality IMO..

Australia ( Briabane national weekender, gold coast soul club, Sydney soul sisters ), had a great time as so well looked after and got to sample a mix of sounds from Wigan classics to crossover and modern..

Spain... Barcelona events with some very big collectors and quality djs who can and like to mix styles in one room... Still looking to do Madrid and Valencia in 2010

France... Perpignan weekender... Quality event and one of the best venues ever, a good mix of soul fans from France/ Spain/uk..

Italy.. Madrid record kicks with northern/ funk/ jazz,... plus the RnB MOD events

Germany.. Been to events in the North West only but found plenty passion/ good clubs/ quality collectors and djs, again accross the board from tadional northern and onwards.. Looking at some of the quality weekenders for future trips..

Ireland.. Sleepless nights Dublin soul events are something that you should all try.. Plus soul/ RnB events in Wexford..

We have soul and passion all over the world, get out there and try it...

I have had some of the best experiences ever on travels for soul events and met friends for life... Could not ask for more really..

Just have some respect for all the creatures that lurk on this forum from all four corners of the uk and around the world.. We all have passion and love our music, its just a broad church with many different sounds, i like to dip my toe in a few different styles and have found the good stuff and shite in all...

I have done a bit of soul on my travels but still waiting to do plenty more, only one ride in the taxi of life, make sure you take it round the clock a couple of times is my motto...

Blinkers off.. Passport out and come home with a soul experience and not a stuffed Donkey, ten bottles of cheap moonshine and 10,000 fags to see you through the next 6 months rolleyes.gif ....

Just my take on things and i aint preaching to others.. We all have to find what floats our boat and good luck to you..

I did talk to Mike about an overseas section for events and will talk to him some more, i think that could be of use for a lot of folk planning holidays/ weekends away..

well said! ... lovin 'Oslo' by the way... nice healthy crowd gettin down n dirty!...

we are all part of the 'family tree' so spead your wings... or should that be branches??? :thumbsup: love x

Social source share

Isn't there more to life than sunshine and northern soul then Pete ?? Life's what you make it wherever you are and IF ONLY things were as you say in your post, well ???????????????????????????? T Bone. South West Soul, Fremantle, W.A.

Edited by Pete Morgan
Social source share

Soulastatic Soul Club, Gothenburg, Sweden

has been running once every month since 1998, playing Northern & Modern soul. aprox 200-300 crowd from 25-50 yrs old.

Djs over the yrs (just to give you a picture): Keith Money, Carl Willingham, Andy Whitmore, James Trouble, Steve Cato, Kenny Burell, Ady Croasdell, Phil Shields, Simon M, Liam Quinn, Ginger Taylor, Nige Grice, Nige Brown, Stu Tyler, Gareth Donovan, Leon Brown, Joe Dunlop, Terry Davies, Ralph Tee, Marc Forrest, Tommy Oslo Soul, Christian Brodsjo, etc + swede mafia (Marthon, Helena, Olof, Tollgert, Baum, etc).

Scene alive and well, NEVER STOP!

Edited by cesar
Social source share

Well said Baz! Where the boredom comes in I don't know (probably why I left in the first place, oh yes and the weather!) This is the best city in the world IMO and I have lived in other countries too. I love my Oldies but like some Modern some I can dance to and some not. Our events and particularly the weekenders are real social events, we all know each other and I love it. It's not like the UK scene and doesn't have to be it's our scene and this is how it has evolved. All the DJ's do it for free and that's the way it is. Looking forward to the next night.

Anybody actualy born in Australia into n/soul then and your kids dont count,and Maria dont count she's here :D when propper Ausies are running the show i might take the Australian n/soul scene more seriously untill then it a comedy act.

Social source share

Anybody actualy born in Australia into n/soul then and your kids dont count,and Maria dont count she's here :D when propper Ausies are running the show i might take the Australian n/soul scene more seriously untill then it a comedy act.

Yeah, me, Kenny boy, born and bred in Australia.

I started DJing Northern and Motown to packed floors at the Lismore Hotel in Pitt Street, Sydney back in 1979/80 and, from that point on, a poor humble Aussie like me was basically running the show in Sydney.

By the mid 80's we had nights attracting 200-300 people every week and then - after spending a couple of months travelling through the UK attending allnighters in 1984 - I took the plunge and promoted the first ever Northern Soul allnighters in Australia in 1989 which carried on into the 90's.

The crowd during this 20 year period would have been about a 50% - 50% mix of real Aussies and people from the UK ... who were often travelling backpackers who used to express to me their utter disbelief that they would ever hear Northern Soul outside the UK !!!

By that time, Maria and Alex - two absolutely wonderful Aussie females no less - began to get heavily involved with their own excellent events in Sydney.

Alex and I also had weekly radio shows that spread the northern soul gospel.

So (except for the ground breaking efforts of the legendary Nigel Loveless in Perth during the 70's and later Vince Peach in Melbourne) it would be fair to say that there would have been NO Northern Soul scene at all in Australia during the 80's and 90's had it not been for 3 Aussies and a loyal crew of local Aussie soul punters !!!

It was really only by the mid to late 90's with a huge new wave of migration from the UK to Oz - and by which time the Australian National Weekenders were up and running - that expats from the UK living in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne began to start up their own scenes and the numbers of expats on the Aussie scene became much greater.

Social source share

Alex and I also had weekly radio shows that spread the northern soul gospel.

Met Alex and went to one of here radio shows and soul nights in Sydney when we were passing through, hooked up with Adey Harley..What a nice girl she was and had a good knowledge of music too.. Although at the soul night there was still some brit prat asking for the snake.. laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Alexandra

Met Alex and went to one of here radio shows and soul nights in Sydney when we were passing through, hooked up with Adey Harley..What a nice girl she was and had a good knowledge of music too.. Although at the soul night there was still some brit prat asking for the snake.. laugh.gif

Hello again Hootenannie,

What do you mean by 'was' a nice girlexcl.gif

Cheers

Alex (living in Melbourne now - but still a Sydney girl at heart)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert