Overseas Ns Scenes

Guest chorleybloke

Hello again Hootenannie,

What do you mean by 'was' a nice girlexcl.gif

Cheers

Alex (living in Melbourne now - but still a Sydney girl at heart)

I'll give him a slap for you next time I see him :( .

To be honest, a poster caught my eye but I can't bear to read this full thread with that really rude title started by an ex-pat who went to Wigan briefly, then woke up to soul two decades years later in a foreign land and told us locals they can't be soulies because they aren't British, etc! No wonder the Americans can be a bit wary on these lists.

I don't think he'd get Europe scene either, so no point me adding thoughts on their scene from the perspective of a regular visitor.

...But didn't we have a seriously wonderful soul time in the 80s and 90s on the south east coast of Oz. I'd kill to do our radio show again or attend some of our clubs as they were, advertised heavily to all who might feel this amazing music. It's usually only in Europe that I get some of that passion back again now :wicked:

m

(will always a Sydney girl in my heart too - and looking forward to my next visit back home soon)

Social source share

• Replies 144
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Anybody actualy born in Australia into n/soul then and your kids dont count,and Maria dont count she's here biggrin.gif when propper Ausies are running the show i might take the Australian n/soul scene more seriously untill then it a comedy ac

tosser!!!!!!!!!

Least i'm not a Ausie tosser so fukc off.

Social source share

Seatttle has a great thing going on! I can vouch for that as well. thumbup.gif

I spin at the Ann Arbor Soul Club in Michigan. We get around 400 people through the door every month as well: typically, it's folks of all ages at our party, looking to come out, have a good time, and dance to soul 45s. We're coming up on our 3-year anniversary in December, wsg Mr. Fine Wine. As in Seattle, there's no real concern for whether or not we're playing "oldies" or certain 45s championed by certain UK/European DJs. I would say that a decent amount of the folks in our crowd do collect records, and that our night has definitely turned some people on to collecting soul 45s as well. In this last respect, I think it helps our cause that we're in Michigan, where there still are records to be had.

In the "midwest" here in the USA we have the following nights run by "serious" American collectors, plus many more that I'm sure I'm leaving out:

Ann Arbor Soul Club - Ann Arbor, MI

Magic City Soul Club - Detroit, MI

Windy City Soul Club - Chicago, IL

Title Town - Pittsburgh, PA

Gold Label Soul - Lawrence, KS

Hipshaker - Minneapolis, MN

Hotpants - Minneapolis, MN

The Get On Up Soul Club - Milwaukee, WI

North By Midwest - Milwaukee, WI

The Soul Hole - Milwaukee

More funk-inspired nights where you would still here some soul sounds mixed in would include:

Funk Night - Detroit

The Get Down - Milwaukee

Sheer Magic - Chicago

I played at Ann Arbor twice, brilliant night, and as good as anywhere in the UK for an up for it open minded crowd. The DJ's are very inventive, I've played along side the Detroit guys and some from Seattle and really enjoyed myself. They inturn let me do what I do and were very supportive.

As for Germany, would agree with Dave Rimmer, must be the biggest scene outside the UK in europe, possibly anywhere in the world after the UK. Some of Europe best cutting edge DJ's live and play there, ie Marc Forrest and Lars. They play things common with the UK plus many things that you don't hear here. Nurnburg, Bamberg, Hamburg and Aachen are extreamly well attended events that would put many UK weekenders to shame. These events have very diverse DJ line ups and exciting play lists. Bamberg, plays host to dj's from Germany, Spain, USA, UK, France over 2 rooms. You can hear great northern, modern, funk and crossover, over 3/4 days.

When playing in Spain at Spannish run events I have found them to be some of the most open minded peeps anywhere in europe.

I say god bless them all, have given me alot of enjoyable weekends over the last few years.

Social source share

Least i'm not a Ausie tosser so fukc off.

I am from north wales so as you say f?+&k off ................. , do you ever post anythink posative . I suggest for christmas do us all a favour and seriously think about your posts and try and be a better person!!!

pete

Whatever !!

Social source share

Guest Dani Herranz

Pretty interesting thread, and really impressed on how highly the Spanish micro-scene is regarded, I fully share there are some serious collectors, though we cannot enjoy many events over the year...

From a Spanish point of view, after obviously UK, I see the German scene as the biggest one in events, collectors etc...(no disrespect to any other of course, especially as I´ve never been to an allnighter in Norway, Sweden -very positive feedbacks from some friend who´ve done-, Ireland or USA...Japan neither I´m afraid!!!!).

And something food for thought....will the non-UK scenes be the ones that will keep alive the allnighters in say...10 years time???, having in mind the great difference in average-age of punters in UK and virtually any other country???...

....finally I won´t miss the opportunity to advertise our next allnighter in Valencia, the Big Thing 5! Saturday 3rd April 2010 (Easter), you may read loads of info and playlists and pics of previous editions in our site:

https://bigthingsoul.blogspot.com/

And a video of Valencia´s BigThing dance comp

Buenas noches!!!

Social source share

I'll give him a slap for you next time I see him tongue.gif .

To be honest, a poster caught my eye but I can't bear to read this full thread with that really rude title started by an ex-pat who went to Wigan briefly, then woke up to soul two decades years later in a foreign land and told us locals they can't be soulies because they aren't British, etc! No wonder the Americans can be a bit wary on these lists.

I don't think he'd get Europe scene either, so no point me adding thoughts on their scene from the perspective of a regular visitor.

...But didn't we have a seriously wonderful soul time in the 80s and 90s on the south east coast of Oz. I'd kill to do our radio show again or attend some of our clubs as they were, advertised heavily to all who might feel this amazing music. It's usually only in Europe that I get some of that passion back again now smile.gif

m

(will always a Sydney girl in my heart too - and looking forward to my next visit back home soon)

Well said Maria! Whenever ive been in Oz (every year!) ive found the native Aussie soulies to be more diverse and interesting in taste and knowledge..particularly Callum, Samantha, Alex, Frank (hes a brit exception.ha!). all that bigotted "were English , so know what soul is crap" is vacuous without the tunes and the will to expand the mind and soul. For me Europe scene is far more interesting and open.yes.gif

Social source share

Well said Maria! Whenever ive been in Oz (every year!) ive found the native Aussie soulies to be more diverse and interesting in taste and knowledge..particularly Callum, Samantha, Alex, Frank (hes a brit exception.ha!). all that bigotted "were English , so know what soul is crap" is vacuous without the tunes and the will to expand the mind and soul. For me Europe scene is far more interesting and open.yes.gif

Basicly what i said,get called a tosser for it shades.gif

Social source share

Guest vince peach

There's no doubt that UK is, and always will be, the Northern Soul epicentre but I don't think anyone would argue that it has gone global over the past decade. So how do UK punters regard overseas scenes? On the same level - or with a condescending pat on the head:wanker: ?

The reason I raise this was a thread a few months ago where somebody had got a totally inaccurate impression of the Australian scene, thinking we were barely past prehistoric, shuffling around in flip-flops to the Theme from Joe 90 whilst chucking shrimps on the barbie. Bit of an over-exaggeration but this view was based on limited first hand knowledge and got quickly clarified.

I'm biased of course but in my view the Aussie scene can now be defined as progressive and dare I say the truest (and biggest) Northern scene outside UK:thumbup: . This is clearly due to the fact that the audience consists of 95% ex-pat Brits from "proper" stock.

However this got me thinking that I'm probably just as guilty as the bloke who lambasted Oz NS in ignorance. For instance, my own snapshot view of other overseas scene is:-

Italy: Sub 30 average age, hardly any 60s sounds, more of a fashion parade.

Germany: R&B predominant, everybody shitfaced, no dancefloor etiquette.

Spain: Proper NS and serious collectors (OK I have personal experience in Spain)

France: Well there's nowt down South where I'm currently based (except the odd cheap EP!) but weekenders up North

Scandinavia: Serious collectors but no gigs, its too far away

Japan: Will try anything for a lark but unsustainable

USA: Should be the top non-UK location but only a handful of serious punters

I'm sure I'm completely wrong and have no intention of insulting anyone but you know what they say about perceptions:angry: .

So my question is: do UK punters take any non-UK scenes seriously? Or is it just an opportunity to get a tan and lashed up with the benefit of good backing music:tongue: ?

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

...and don't forget about our huge Soul Scene in switzerland:thumbup:, we are about 4-5 people into rare soul music and doing regularly soulnights with international dj's.... since last month we are able to do allnighters cause the clubs are allowed to.....thumbsup.gif

Cheers Henning

Social source share

Guest vince peach

Well I to have to agree with Maria, the northern soul scene in Oz has never been very strong but was at its peak in the late 80ts, with nights put on by oo soul and the Sydney Sisters, with regular Niters in Mebourne and Sydney it was a great time, since then the northern scene has gone into sharp decline, with only our yearly national attracting a large crowd, fortunatley the soul scene in Oz has thrived with a host of local Djs spinning a wide variety of soul to crowds in there hundreds, I belive Perth also has good soul scene with the fly by night attracting hundreds of people, And soul Djs in Melbourne are all flat chat with more and more local djs getting into it then ever, a very healthy scene,

best

Vince

Social source share

Well I to have to agree with Maria, the northern soul scene in Oz has never been very strong but was at its peak in the late 80ts, with nights put on by oo soul and the Sydney Sisters, with regular Niters in Mebourne and Sydney it was a great time, since then the northern scene has gone into sharp decline, with only our yearly national attracting a large crowd, fortunatley the soul scene in Oz has thrived with a host of local Djs spinning a wide variety of soul to crowds in there hundreds, I belive Perth also has good soul scene with the fly by night attracting hundreds of people, And soul Djs in Melbourne are all flat chat with more and more local djs getting into it then ever, a very healthy scene,

best

Vince

f--k, forgot about Vince! sorry mate...tiop bloke and dj. Always open to new stuff...

Social source share

19. Soulweekender Nürnberg Germany - is this serious enough?:

regards, uli

www.raresoul.net

Sorry Uli, but to me this is not a statement about seriousness.

It's a statement about quantity, but not about the quality of the german soul scene. It says nothing about developing and finding new tunes, that are appreciated by the punters and the quality of the stuff played out.

cheers,

Martin

Edited by soulie78
Social source share

19. Soulweekender N¼rnberg Germany - is this serious enough?:

regards, uli

www.raresoul.net

Uli I have watched these two clips over and over and it looks as if they are all dancing to a different record?

Why do they all look like my uncle Norman dancing, slightly embarrassed and definitely stiffer than a stiff thing?

Having a Northernsoul scene is one thing but these cats should be able to dance by now?

I'm a little fat over weight sweaty little man who can dance spots of these dudes?

It's like watching a clip from the film "Footloose" were Kevin Bacon moves to a small town and the kids don't know how to dance.

Summits wrong, Its like a Yorkshire pudding that hasn't risen. :ohmy:

Social source share

The clips are too dark to really judge if people are 'moving in the prescribed fashion'. People will groove the way they want or however it suits or grabs them. Youtube is full of clips of ageing gits and gitesses 'scatting' or attempting to scat as if they were back at Cleethorpes Pier 1976. Personally I find 'exhibition dancers' like this embarrassing to watch. It's not about who moves best it's about doing your own thing, freestyle. Gone are the days when the dance police would be observing your every move to make sure it didn't veer away towards something less orthodox (remember Blackpool Mecca?). It's also very ingenuous (or pigheaded) to assume that the whole of the freakin' world is still looking to the UK for inspiration. People like Butch and Soul Sam are appreciated for who they are, their exclusive sounds and their general disposition to get people on their feet, but they aren't indispensable. People will look to the UK and then look away again. There are plenty of records out there and with the right nose they can be sought out and played, whether they'd be accepted in a Uk context or not. Too much navel contemplation going on over there perhaps...

Social source share

..Foreign soul, well done, good drills, glad you like our dancing, enjoy...

Its no wonder Simon aka Imber Boy is dissappointed by the way us continental Soulboys and girls are dancing as the quote shows its "his" dancing...so what ever we do it will be only a carbon copy of the good old English traditional Northern Soul dancing to him anyway.

The video is very slow, much slower than the music Something Imber Boy should have realised given he really watched the video as often as he claims he did. So obviously the dancing in the video seems to be much slower than the actual dancing in reality was.

As a matter of fact, and you can ask all of our English and Scottish friends who were there on both nights, the whole crowded room with an estimated capacity of 500/600 hundred people danced from about 11pm to 05am non stop. Atmosphere was fantastic to say the least.

Imber Boy confesses he never was out and about on the continent for soulful reasons. Not only would I suggest you better do so before you judge on sth you haven`t experienced yourself yet, I almost beg you to do so in order for you to do yourself a favour.

Some of the best venues and weekenders these days you will find also in places such as Bamberg, Hamburg, Nürnberg, Oslo, Gothenburg, Helsinki, Malmö, Barcelona, Gijon and loads of other places.

Just like Dave Thorley said, collectors and DJ`s such as Franz Heidl, Puresoulie, Lars, Sebastian Fonzeus and many many others are real vinyl vendors awho are not only able to find their own vinyl gems but also to create their very own individual plays. Still people like Soul Sam, butch, Andy Dyson and again many others are leading the way soundwise over here as well as they do in England.

But if Wigan - styled retromania only is what your looking for dance- and soundwise you are indeed right in staying away and a visit would bring you nth but dissappointment.

Rare Soul on the continent...like a baby whose birth and genetics were given by the English (although the music is American, Afro-American, I might add..) but now grows up strongly self-determined and develops its very own style. Which ain`t too bad.

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

I'll give him a slap for you next time I see him tongue.gif .

...But didn't we have a seriously wonderful soul time in the 80s and 90s on the south east coast of Oz. I'd kill to do our radio show again or attend some of our clubs as they were, advertised heavily to all who might feel this amazing music. It's usually only in Europe that I get some of that passion back again now smile.gif

m

Been a while since I returned to this thread and my my isn't there a lot of grumpy folk around? (Ken being a glowing examplesleep3.gif), must be weather-related. It was all basically about misconceptions so I believe the point's been proven, ie: it's dangerous to form opinions based purely on hearsay, you have to sample the scenes in question to have the right to comment intelligently.

And if I'm not mistaken there's a dig at me concealed somewhere here - which by the way is pure fictionyes.gif . Must disagree with my good friend Vince though about the Aussie scene being in decline. Granted, I've been away for some time but from what I hear it seems to be flourishing in both numbers and diversity.

And a final word about the German lads, I'm contemplating emigrating there after hearing Keith Curtiss on the YouTube clip - please sell it to me Marc, also Dewey Black would also be appreciatedlaugh.gif .

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Marc, behave! It matters not how dark it is, it matters not how slow the youtube clip is and it matters a fig how much vinyl you keep telling us you have, nor does it matter how many names you can drop, ya can't dance and that's final.

I officially challenge you to a dance off, bring ya mates!

:boxing::laugh::laugh:

rickygervais_wideweb__430x322.jpg

Social source share

I officially challenge you to a dance off, bring ya mates!

boxing.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

rickygervais_wideweb__430x322.jpg

:lol::ohmy: Simon you have spent a few years in germany getting hammered at the odd soul nighter and run....wicked.gif

and all you seem to remember is our traditional warm up....:yes:

I hereby take on the challenge whenever we shall meet, in ingaland or at my local soul night, I'll have ya!!!!

cat_dance_off.jpg

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Been a while since I returned to this thread and my my isn't there a lot of grumpy folk around? (Ken being a glowing example:sleep3:), must be weather-related. It was all basically about misconceptions so I believe the point's been proven, ie: it's dangerous to form opinions based purely on hearsay, you have to sample the scenes in question to have the right to comment intelligently.

And if I'm not mistaken there's a dig at me concealed somewhere here - which by the way is pure fiction:yes: . Must disagree with my good friend Vince though about the Aussie scene being in decline. Granted, I've been away for some time but from what I hear it seems to be flourishing in both numbers and diversity.

And a final word about the German lads, I'm contemplating emigrating there after hearing Keith Curtiss on the YouTube clip - please sell it to me Marc, also Dewey Black would also be appreciated:laugh: .

Cheers

Pete

Not against the law to be grumpy is it ? i'm like this all the time you know !:angry:

Social source share

best

Vince

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR MENTIONING THE FLYBYNIGHT CLUB VINCE. YES WE DO GET REGULAR MONTHLY CROWDS IN THE 100'S AND EVEN HAD BETTY HARRIS PERFORM LIVE FOR US IN MAY..BRILLIANT. 4TH ANNIVERSARY COMING UP END OF JANUARY, HAD 280 IN FOR THE 3RD SO WHO KNOWS ? YOU ARE INVITED ANYTIME MATE, VIP AND ALL THAT !! STAY SOULFUL, TONY, SOUTH WEST SOUL.

Social source share

ohmy.gif:) Simon you have spent a few years in germany getting hammered at the odd soul nighter and run....wicked.gif

and all you seem to remember is our traditional warm up....unsure.gif

I hereby take on the challenge whenever we shall meet, in ingaland or at my local soul night, I'll have ya!!!!

cat_dance_off.jpg

The Coolest Katz

Social source share

Uli I have watched these two clips over and over and it looks as if they are all dancing to a different record?

Why do they all look like my uncle Norman dancing, slightly embarrassed and definitely stiffer than a stiff thing?

Having a Northernsoul scene is one thing but these cats should be able to dance by now?

I'm a little fat over weight sweaty little man who can dance spots of these dudes?

It's like watching a clip from the film "Footloose" were Kevin Bacon moves to a small town and the kids don't know how to dance.

Summits wrong, Its like a Yorkshire pudding that hasn't risen. ohmy.gif

is that a joke or something ?

i just dont get this thread at all .

i went to an italy weekender this summer that was attended by people from all over europe and was absolutely astounded by the quality of the music and the dancing . the nurnberg nighter looks great (posted vids) and if i can afford it im going to try real hard to get to the next one

its they who could teach us a thing or two NOT the other way round . imvho

Edited by pls1
Social source share

is that a joke or something ?

i just dont get this thread at all .

i went to an italy weekender this summer that was attended by people from all over europe and was absolutely astounded by the quality of the music and the dancing . the nurnberg nighter looks great (posted vids) and if i can afford it im going to try real hard to get to the next one

its they who could teach us a thing or two NOT the other way round . imvho

dude if you have to ask you'd never understand.

Social source share

dude if you have to ask you'd never understand.

Judging from the fact you tend to call everything that dances "cats" you may have mixed it up all totally. So you seem to think this thread is about the Overseas Rock & Roll scene ? If thats the case indeed we will understand fully your disbelief and obvious opinion of course..

ohmy.gif

Marc ""the jive cat" Forrest

Social source share

Marc, behave! It matters not how dark it is, ..and it matters a fig how much vinyl you keep telling us you have,

Still, as I never ever told you nor anybody else (so I wonder about your quote anyway but what the heck), I wanna tell you.

Vinyl that is.

But I do change between these ten regulary..´cause I am not the "Daddy-O" but the "Daddy of them Hot Boxers"

laugh.gif

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to mention that at "Dab of Soul" we are proud to have Europes premier Crossover/70s DJ join us on April 17th.

All the way from Germany, Lars Bulheim.

All i can say is that if Lars lived in the UK he would be booked to play crossover/ 70s soul soul every week!

Chris

Good to see some promoters getting the European lads to DJ over here, well done Chris.

Social source share

Guest peter burke

Good to see some promoters getting the European lads to DJ over here, well done Chris.

Marc Forrest also over guesting at Boomerang Dayer in August.

Will definitely try catch up with Lars though in April.

Wonder if he will be bringing his lovely girlfriend who, despite not collecting, still felt obliged to take some Philly demos from Karen in Bamberginnocent.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I've been fortunate enough to have DJed and/or danced at most of the major soul and funk clubs in Europe and the UK in the past 10 years. These are my observations.

In my experience the Euro nights tend to be more exciting and are seriously better parties than the vast majority of nights in the UK.

There are a few exceptions but, and over recent years especially, I think the buzz, progression, excitment and energy of the majority of parties in the UK are way below that of the majority of Euro promotions.

Even the smallest 'scenes' in Europe, Switzerland for example, have much 'bigger' hearts and ambition than most of the scenes in the UK. The biggest ambition of most nights int he UK is to keep beer off the floor and to avoid repeat plays of Jo Jama.

In the UK the majority of nights that generate high excitment levels, and have the highest attendence are based on 'oldies' or remembering the past venues. The focus is self centered, mostly concentrated on the history of the scene and not on the excitment of dancing to new music. There are more 'scene fans' rather than 'music fans'. Generally speaking.

I think the reason for this is the age and experience of the crowds. At most of the Euro scene the minority of the crowd are "experts" on soul music, the majority of the crowd are "fans", "regulars" or "clubbers" of a younger age into good music and dancing.

Some nights running in the UK have been or are like Euro nights. Deepfunk at Madame Jo Jo's for example is similar, as is Myles's Soul Train in Cambridge. A night like the 100 Club could be like the some of the Euro nights (although it isn't), it has the city center location, and the 'cool underground' vibe, but I think the kind of buzz from the better Euro nights comes from very heavy city wide promotion. For example, when I was in Malmoe a couple of months ago at Function, walking around the city, there were posters up all over town. How would the experienced scene regulars in the UK feel about this?

But saying that, if I was at Function in Malmoe as a dancer and not a DJ, I would be frustrated, it was rammed solid, it reminded me of those old pictures of Wigan Casino, the ones with the kids all crammed in tight with their arms in the air, screaming with excitment on hearing a new sound for the first time.

casino2_470x313.jpg

Wigan Casino 1970s

15552_186115566714_625691714_3168692_6517709_n.jpg

Function in Malmo December 2009

I also think some of the Euro nights, such as the more mature scene in Germany, have the potential to be more like some of the UK events. The majority of the crowd are experienced soulies, they know what they want, and attend a night with expectations of what they want from it.

These are just my observations, and to answer the question, are the nights in Europe serious or just dicking about?

Of course they are serious. In my opinion in most cases, based on my experience, and certainly more so in recent years, they are seriously better, both in terms of music and atmosphere. But not all cases, of course.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Whilst the UK is the originator of the said Northern/ Rare soul scene/ concept/ sub-culture, it does not always know best. We can all learn from each other. Some of the posts on here from the UK embody many of the things that are good about this scene and it's people, they also show some of it's worst aspects of prejudice and intolerance, and "we know best attitude".

It is the original, and it's still the best in many respects. Despite it's drawbacks, we should be thankful of that. Most of it's top collecters and collections are here, dj's, dancers, knowledgeable people, events, etc.

But the rest of the world now has these, albeit in smaller numbers. They are growing, and they'll do things their own way. Why should that be wrong? We are each individuals, each with our own minds, and our own way of doing things.

Never been abroad for soul events, save for one event in Pittsburgh. Where the crowd were enthusiastic and friendly, but just starting out on their 'education'. Heard much about events all over from many people, magazines, Soul Source, etc. etc. I go with an open mind.

Whilst i love this country, there is much i don't like. Same with the soul scene, it's mine and i like it. Never perfect, but it's mine.

England or the Uk created the game of football, we were the masters. That is no longer true. When England lost to Hungary in the 50's, the English football establishment were aghast that this country beat us and played such fantastic football. But it showed that others can do it just as well given the talent. Proud of England and it's achievment's, but there comes a time to say that we can learn from others. Forget the little Englander mentality that some of the posts are implying.

Respect is due for all around the globe who follow this path, whichever way they choose to live their life, it's their right. Whether they be expats from Australia, or young kids from Japan. They've earned this respect as fellow soul fans, not condemnation because they are the wrong side of forty plus. Or a young soul fan from Italy who might not have the right dancefloor etiquette.

We should stand together, not tare lumps out of each other.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Whilst the UK is the originator of the said Northern/ Rare soul scene/ concept/ sub-culture, it does not always know best. We can all learn from each other. Some of the posts on here from the UK embody many of the things that are good about this scene and it's people, they also show some of it's worst aspects of prejudice and intolerance, and "we know best attitude".

It is the original, and it's still the best in many respects. Despite it's drawbacks, we should be thankful of that. Most of it's top collecters and collections are here, dj's, dancers, knowledgeable people, events, etc.

But the rest of the world now has these, albeit in smaller numbers. They are growing, and they'll do things their own way. Why should that be wrong? We are each individuals, each with our own minds, and our own way of doing things.

Never been abroad for soul events, save for one event in Pittsburgh. Where the crowd were enthusiastic and friendly, but just starting out on their 'education'. Heard much about events all over from many people, magazines, Soul Source, etc. etc. I go with an open mind.

Whilst i love this country, there is much i don't like. Same with the soul scene, it's mine and i like it. Never perfect, but it's mine.

England or the Uk created the game of football, we were the masters. That is no longer true. When England lost to Hungary in the 50's, the English football establishment were aghast that this country beat us and played such fantastic football. But it showed that others can do it just as well given the talent. Proud of England and it's achievment's, but there comes a time to say that we can learn from others. Forget the little Englander mentality that some of the posts are implying.

Respect is due for all around the globe who follow this path, whichever way they choose to live their life, it's their right. Whether they be expats from Australia, or young kids from Japan. They've earned this respect as fellow soul fans, not condemnation because they are the wrong side of forty plus. Or a young soul fan from Italy who might not have the right dancefloor etiquette.

We should stand together, not tare lumps out of each other.

Martyn

PS

I'd like to add, that clubwise potentially i can see Europe ovetaking the UK in the future due to the age factor. I just hope that there's gonna be some sort of viable club thing going here for as long as i can get out, before the zimmer frame becomes obligatory.

Social source share

Will definitely try catch up with Lars though in April.

Wonder if he will be bringing his lovely girlfriend who, despite not collecting, still felt obliged to take some Philly demos from Karen in Bamberg:innocent:

At Dab we only book the best crossover/70s Djs out there...lars is not booked as some sort of gimmick...he is booked because he is one of the best Djs of that genre in Europe, his collection can stand right up there with anyone else in this country.

He is a top guy too...and the lovely Alexandra will be coming over with him ...now where did i leave those Philly demos!

James, I agree with many of your observations re the European soul scene...... Just that you put it much better than i could ever have done! Must say that Malmo gig looked crazy....

Chris

Social source share

thumbup.gif . This is clearly due to the fact that the audience consists of 95% ex-pat Brits from "proper" stock.

However this got me thinking that I'm probably just as guilty as the bloke who lambasted Oz NS in ignorance. For instance, my own snapshot view of other overseas scene is:-

Italy: Sub 30 average age, hardly any 60s sounds, more of a fashion parade.

Germany: R&B predominant, everybody shitfaced, no dancefloor etiquette.

Spain: Proper NS and serious collectors (OK I have personal experience in Spain)

France: Well there's nowt down South where I'm currently based (except the odd cheap EP!) but weekenders up North

Scandinavia: Serious collectors but no gigs, its too far away

Japan: Will try anything for a lark but unsustainable

USA: Should be the top non-UK location but only a handful of serious punters

I'm sure I'm completely wrong and have no intention of insulting anyone but you know what they say about perceptionsangry.gif .

So my question is: do UK punters take any non-UK scenes seriously? Or is it just an opportunity to get a tan and lashed up with the benefit of good backing musictongue.gif ?

Cheers

Pete

Love it...Now I understand why I've just been 'duffed up' by some European geezer ( In the TOP 100 DISCUSSIONS THREAD) for my 'arrogant comments' (His quote) on the 'overseas scene'....

(Don't sound arrogant to me though! - 'An opportunity to get a tan and lashed up with the benefit of good backing music' Sounds pretty reasonable to my ears/eyes...)thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert