The Best Record Cleaner Yet

Pete S

Send me £5 and I'll tell you what it is!

No really, thanks to my friend Martyn for putting me on to this. SERVISOL FOAM CLEANSER 30. 400ml aerosol can, £4.70 from maplins.

Shake it, squirt it, rub it in, play the record, you won't believe the crap that comes out of the grooves, and when it's finished, wipe it with a cloth and gives it a fabulous shine too.

I cleaned a jackie Ross (Brunswick) just now which was in pretty decent vg++ nick, I had to stop it 4 times because the stylus was clogged up with dirt.

Fantastic stuff, try it, even lightens dirt on the labels by the looks of it.

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No really, thanks to my friend Martyn for putting me on to this. SERVISOL FOAM CLEANSER 30. 400ml aerosol can, £4.70 from maplins.

Shake it, squirt it, rub it in, play the record, you won't believe the crap that comes out of the grooves, and when it's finished, wipe it with a cloth and gives it a fabulous shine too.

I cleaned a jackie Ross (Brunswick) just now which was in pretty decent vc++ nick, I had to stop it 4 times because the stylus was clogged up with dirt.

:hatsoff2: PETE THATS A GOOD ONE? I HAVE USED ANTI BACTERIAL SOAP (NHS) BORROWED SQUIRT ON RECORD USE A BADGER BRISTLE SHAVING BRUSH CLEAN ANTI CLOCWISE TO LIFE THE RAS! FROM THE GROVES AND AS ITS A BIT STICKY GIVE IT A POWER SHOWER ON MED/HOT PAT DRY, METHS AND ANTI STATIC JUICE, CLEAN AS NEW, YOU KNOW HOW TO RESTORE THE SHINE ON A EMI PRODUCT? IF NOT I WILL LET YOU ALL NO, BRINGS BACCK THAT FACTORY MINT LOOK IN SECONDS?.. I WAS TELLING MICK THAT YOU DONT THINK SHIRLEY LAWSON IS RARE, SO WE WAS WONDERING WHAT PRICE DO YOU RATE IT AS?:ph34r: DAVE("LEAVE IT OUT JOHN")KIL

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif PETE THATS A GOOD ONE? I HAVE USED ANTI BACTERIAL SOAP (NHS) BORROWED SQUIRT ON RECORD USE A BADGER BRISTLE SHAVING BRUSH CLEAN ANTI CLOCWISE TO LIFE THE RAS! FROM THE GROVES AND AS ITS A BIT STICKY GIVE IT A POWER SHOWER ON MED/HOT PAT DRY, METHS AND ANTI STATIC JUICE, CLEAN AS NEW, YOU KNOW HOW TO RESTORE THE SHINE ON A EMI PRODUCT? IF NOT I WILL LET YOU ALL NO, BRINGS BACCK THAT FACTORY MINT LOOK IN SECONDS?.. I WAS TELLING MICK THAT YOU DONT THINK SHIRLEY LAWSON IS RARE, SO WE WAS WONDERING WHAT PRICE DO YOU RATE IT AS?ph34r.gif DAVE("LEAVE IT OUT JOHN")KIL

Dave, I used to be able to do any EMI label, coated it in silver cleaner, then rotated it over the steam from a boiling kettle, if you get the rotation right you can make any record look mint. Stupidly, I tried it on my Chapter 5 which is made from a different kind of vinyl and it went all patchy..

Social source share

I cleaned a jackie Ross (Brunswick) just now which was in pretty decent vg++ nick, I had to stop it 4 times because the stylus was clogged up with dirt.

I don't understand, was the stylus clogged with dirt before or after cleaning?

Social source share

Has anyone tried the UPVC glue method?

I couldn't believe it when I was told by my mate Craig Butler but it works.

If you are sceptical then try it on an old pop record or pressing or something. Paint it on (mind you don't catch the label), leave to dry overnight & then peel it off - et voila.......

Mick

Social source share

where from Pete...whats it normally used for? thanks

It's from Maplins - I think it's used for electrical stuff, transistors maybe - not sure to be honest - but it does work, especially qwhen the dirt has been ground in and it makes that kind of 'swoosh' noise, it gets that out.

Social source share

Dave, I used to be able to do any EMI label, coated it in silver cleaner, then rotated it over the steam from a boiling kettle, if you get the rotation right you can make any record look mint. Stupidly, I tried it on my Chapter 5 which is made from a different kind of vinyl and it went all patchy..

:hatsoff2:Hi Pete a bit late 1.30am, but your foam is similar to the Whiteboard Conditioner & Renovator -150ml spray can approx £2.50, in computer shop on Birmingham New Road near Post office these small shops are really good and much cheaper than PC Land (just in case)? The Label well how many times have you picked up a record and if it ha a minty label you assume the record plastic to be the same only to find out that the vinyl is in sad way, well I think between us we know how to get the best result out of the vinyl?....

:boxing:But when it comes down to cleaning products & vinyl as long as the product is not toxic, However our labels are so sensitive, my advice if its ORANGE OR RED keep cleaning products away, And your Silver polish is not what I was thinking of someone keeps on contacting me on msn? :ph34r:DAVE

Social source share

hatsoff2.gifHi Pete a bit late 1.30am, but your foam is similar to the Whiteboard Conditioner & Renovator -150ml spray can approx £2.50, in computer shop on Birmingham New Road near Post office these small shops are really good and much cheaper than PC Land (just in case)? The Label well how many times have you picked up a record and if it ha a minty label you assume the record plastic to be the same only to find out that the vinyl is in sad way, well I think between us we know how to get the best result out of the vinyl?....

boxing.gifBut when it comes down to cleaning products & vinyl as long as the product is not toxic, However our labels are so sensitive, my advice if its ORANGE OR RED keep cleaning products away, And your Silver polish is not what I was thinking of someone keeps on contacting me on msn? ph34r.gifDAVE

the product is very toxic, most things that actually get the record clean are

Social source share

From the Farnell SDS (Safety Data Sheet) above

inhalation : In case of insufficient ventilation, wear suitable

respiratory equipment.

hands and skin : Wear suitable protective gloves

(nitrile)

eyes : Wear safety goggles.

careful

spook :thumbup:

I sniffed about a gallon of it yesterday and it did f*ck all...

Social source share

just a caution before trying it on an old king record or vee jay. they have a shellac appearance i think the composition is different than than normal vinyl and may react differently.

Social source share

by eck lad, can thee brush teeth wi'it as well?

rob.h

Social source share

ive been collecting records for way too long now and i can always remember using isopropyl alcohol (i think ive spelt that correctly) and thinking it was the bees knees and as im sat here i have a tin of the aforementioned servisol but if i can be perfectly honest the best cleaner by far is flash,yes, flash the spray on type.Simply spray on the vinyl avoiding the label as best you can and then wiping it around with a heavy cotton like t shirt material, it gets all the crap out without worrying about screwing up the vinyl,perfick!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert