Edward Hamilton - Baby Don't You Weep

Rogermoff

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just for clarity - my existing scratched version is on a black and white Mary Jane, not red and white. I believe it to be an issue, and I've had it over 20 years. I want to replace it for DJing and listening to generally, so another issue will do fine. If I'm sat on a scratched record worth £200-300 if it was mint then I'll look at having it restored, but as I've had offers of around £20-30 when I posted this previously (but no takers that called back anyway!) I think I can get one for that price.

Any advice??

Ta,

Rog

Social source share

Just for clarity - my existing scratched version is on a black and white Mary Jane, not red and white. I believe it to be an issue, and I've had it over 20 years. I want to replace it for DJing and listening to generally, so another issue will do fine. If I'm sat on a scratched record worth £200-300 if it was mint then I'll look at having it restored, but as I've had offers of around £20-30 when I posted this previously (but no takers that called back anyway!) I think I can get one for that price.

Any advice??

Ta,

Rog

Real one on ebay. https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/edward-hamilton-baby-dont-you-weep_W0QQitemZ170455820822QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Records?hash=item27aff56a16

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Any advice??

Ta,

Rog

I'm going to state the obvious here as nobody else has; the one you have is the bootleg so it isn't worth 200 quid. The original is the red/white checked one with blue lettering (see JM's latest guide for examples).

Social source share

Just to point out, again, that there is also a very, very rare coloured label counterfeit of this.

IS THIS THE ONE I GOT PETE, CAN YOU REMEMBER US COMPAIRING IT?

WAZZ

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

IS THIS THE ONE I GOT PETE, CAN YOU REMEMBER US COMPAIRING IT?

WAZZ

you can tell by the fact it has a very small run in,

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Just curious: if I'm correctly informed, the 2nd issue of this has the "A Mike Terry Arr." credit on the label. Anyone know when this 2nd issue came out? Must not have been much later than the original.

Social source share

Just curious: if I'm correctly informed, the 2nd issue of this has the "A Mike Terry Arr." credit on the label.

Has it actually been 100% confirmed which came first...as in with or without Mike Terry credit?

In my experience I have seen far more with his name credit on it (quite often vg+ with label wear), than without.

I also note with interest that one on Popsike 'without' also has a 'Chips' distribution sticker on it to confuse us further!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Just had a look at Mike Terry credit copy and it has a "Nashville" stamp. Reading last few contributions if there is a Frankford-Wayne stamped copy and Flynny refers to non-credit copy on Popsike with no MT credit and "Chips" sticker, just putting 2+2 together [probably making 5!] is it that it was distributed around Philly and Eastern seaboard by Chips [Weldon McDougal worked there] and copies were pressed at local pressing plant making no credit copy the non-Detroit pressing. This of course relies on all non-credit copies having "F-W" stamp. I don't know cos I don't have that issue.

ROD

Social source share

Guest bully7

and so to the original question, has anyone got a copy or two, cos i wouldn't mind one either..................cheers

Social source share

Just had a look at Mike Terry credit copy and it has a "Nashville" stamp. Reading last few contributions if there is a Frankford-Wayne stamped copy and Flynny refers to non-credit copy on Popsike with no MT credit and "Chips" sticker, just putting 2+2 together [probably making 5!] is it that it was distributed around Philly and Eastern seaboard by Chips [Weldon McDougal worked there] and copies were pressed at local pressing plant making no credit copy the non-Detroit pressing. This of course relies on all non-credit copies having "F-W" stamp. I don't know cos I don't have that issue.

ROD

A fine theory, but alas the 'without' copy I have also has a Nashville Matrix stamp, so back to the drawing board I'm afraid.

:lol:

Social source share

I have both of the the red white and blue originals - with and without the Mike Terry credit.

I'm sure I posted up the details of the two versions a while back - just needs a search for the thread.

Pretty sure they are both Nashville stamped - not one Frankford-Wayne stamped - will check later.

I think the without Mike Terry credit is the rarer and possibly the original if there is a difference - after all why repress without a credit?

Here's the previous thread about the coloured counterfeit:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/100698-edward-hamilton-baby-dont-you-weep/page__p__1058709__fromsearch__1entry1058709

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I have both of the the red white and blue originals - with and without the Mike Terry credit.

I'm sure I posted up the details of the two versions a while back - just needs a search for the thread.

Pretty sure they are both Nashville stamped - not one Frankford-Wayne stamped - will check later.

I think the without Mike Terry credit is the rarer and possibly the original if there is a difference - after all why repress without a credit?

Here's the previous thread about the coloured counterfeit:

https://www.soul-sour...1entry1058709

Cheers

Richard

Just checked - both the 'with'and 'without' copies have idential deadwax markings with Nashville stamp thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Sonbert , Flynny,Richard

I can sense some confusion entering here as upthread AK45 mentions a "second issue" with MT credits and now Barry W. auctions a copy stating it's a second issue. There are two original label designs. Is the one on auction an original MT credit ,now to be known as a "second issue" or is it a boot, ie a later issue due to Northern demand.?

ROD

Social source share

Just curious: if I'm correctly informed, the 2nd issue of this has the "A Mike Terry Arr." credit on the label. Anyone know when this 2nd issue came out? Must not have been much later than the original.

The key words being 'if I'm correctly informed'. May we ask as to who informed you of what...did this someone have definitive evidence as to which came first?

Maybe confusion has arisen and a merger of the two statements of, 'which was rarer' and 'which came first', has led to the 'with' variant suddenly being unfairly known as a '2nd issue'?

:thumbsup:

Social source share

i saw that too harry.......... barry waddington.. the uk`s answer to sebastian. how does he do it. or is it people not reading descriptions properly.it must be surely

dave

My mate up here has one of these dave, he told me he only paid a fiver for it, my immediate reaction was BARGAIN, but there was no nashville matrix, i was of the same opinion as john manship, i`d never seen one before, i just presumed all the blue text red checked copies were right and the black checked ones, black text were wrong

Edited by SONBERT
Social source share

we`ve determined there`s two original copies and they sell for decent money.`nashville matrix with/ without M terry credit. and theres a counterfeit wth black text and logo. is the unstamped `original looking`copy that pete smith and JM seen on 90`s style vinyl or is it the same as the 60`s orig without the stamp

dave

Social source share

The key words being 'if I'm correctly informed'. May we ask as to who informed you of what...did this someone have definitive evidence as to which came first?

Nope, no definitive evidence. I was only going off a seller's description of this sale: https://www.popsike.c...0165592224.html

"FIRST ISSUE - Second issue has credit to Mike Terry on the label"

No idea where he came up with that, it just seemed to make sense. As someone, somewhere, on some thread postulated "Why do a later copy without the credit"? Hence my original question, "how long between issues". I figured they probably ran a few copies without the credit, said "whoops, we forgot something", then immediately pressed up some more.

is the unstamped `original looking`copy that pete smith and JM seen on 90`s style vinyl or is it the same as the 60`s orig without the stamp

Well, I asked Barry Waddington about this, on his recent auctioned copy (sold for $157.50 USD). This copy definitely doesn't have the Nashville Matrix. I asked if it had a thinner vinyl as reported, he said no...but hey, without having a copy in my hands who knows? Most likely it is the thinner flexi vinyl.

Edited by ak45
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

i have an original issue for sale ( without M Terry credit)

it has a tiny edge crack that goes into the vinyl for 1/2 an inch but does not show up in any way or form, it plays mint with no ticks/clicks guarenteed or your money back. Label is ex++

PM with an offer please.

Cheers, Ian.

Swap ya a couple of homemade deep soul CDs for it mate laugh.gif

Social source share

Source Advert